(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 90.
#2251 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

My hot dog flashers stopped working for me. I installed 89 flasher bulbs in there (I thought only system 11 games needed the mod). I replaced the two white block resistors(?) , put regular bulbs back in but still no dice. Is there someplace on the MPU I need to look to see if something burned up? Only those two red hot dog flashers don't work. Thanks in advance!

#2252 4 years ago

My hot dog flashers stopped working for me. I installed 89 flasher bulbs in there (I thought only system 11 games needed the mod). I replaced the two white block resistors(?) but still no dice. Is there someplace on the MPU I need to look to see if something burned up? Only those two hot dog flashers don't work. Thanks in advance!

There is usually a transistor that goes with those flashers. Looks like Q54 and Q55 run those flasher lamps. You could start there checking them with a multimeter.

#2253 4 years ago

This is probably a really stupid and generic question but the only issue I have with my SS is that one of the bumpers (the right pop, next to the "A" lane) doesn't always respond terribly well if the ball lazily hits the skirt from the top. It seems to me that the skirt is too tight against the spoon or something. I've fiddled with it a bit and it's USUALLY a bit better, but not always. It drives me nuts when it doesn't pop like it's supposed to. I don't think it's a switch gap issue, but I suppose I could make that tighter if needed. Iirc it NEVER fails to register a hit from the side or bottom but it's also pretty much impossible to lazily hit it from either of those directions also..

Everything was rebuilt not that long ago (not by me) when it was hardtopped so it's not sitting here with 30 years of neglect or something.

#2254 4 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

There is usually a transistor that goes with those flashers. Looks like Q54 and Q55 run those flasher lamps. You could start there checking them with a multimeter.

Thanks very much. Is that on the main MPU? I wonder if I can find a schematic so I can figure out the values. Thanks!

#2255 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

one of the bumpers (the right pop, next to the "A" lane) doesn't always respond terribly well if the ball lazily hits the skirt from the top. It seems to me that the skirt is too tight against the spoon or something. I've fiddled with it a bit and it's USUALLY a bit better, but not always. It drives me nuts when it doesn't pop like it's supposed to. I don't think it's a switch gap issue...

That's a pretty common issue with pop bumpers. Switch gap is only part of it. More importantly, you need to make sure the skirt pylon is absolutely dead center in the spoon. After that, it needs to be low enough in the spoon - almost touching - so that any pressure anywhere on the skirt, will move the pylon into the edges of the spoon (to press the switch, etc...).

It's one of those things that's kinda aggravating at times because it's pretty straightforward, but might take lots of fiddling. Be advised, you might have to adjust the switch stack (loosen the screws and move it slightly) to get the right adjustments. Make sure the pop bumper mech moves smoothly and doesn't bind or catch anything either.

For more info, look up "Vid's Guide to pop bumpers" here on Pinside.

#2256 4 years ago

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm realizing I probably just need to loosen the stack and re-center. I was thinking that the fact that the skirt pylon seemed to drag awkwardly against the spoon was something else but it makes perfect sense I'd see it doing what it's doing if it were just not properly aligned. Still pretty new to a lot of this, d'oh!

#2257 4 years ago

I wonder if I can find a schematic so I can figure out the values. Thanks!

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2260/Williams_1984_Space_Shuttle_Instruction_Manual_dated_Nov_3_1984_with_schematics.pdf

Most schematics are available on ipdb.org

#2258 4 years ago

Just wanted to point out. You really should turn the game off before digging in that area. I know it’s a pain but couldn’t count how many times people short stuff out adjusting popbumpers.

#2259 4 years ago

So now I'm at a loss ,installed a new capacitor on the power supply that look bad and still no solenoids fire, still reading 14 volts coming off the capacitor when it should be 28. Really at a loss here open to suggestions if anyone has any idea what Avenue to pursue next

#2260 4 years ago

Ready for liftoff! Finally found the issue again. The 12 pin connector that comes off the power supply board, top pin on the female connector (solenoid ground) damaged. This five-week journey down the rabbit hole started with what I thought was a bad ground , funny how it comes full circle.Happy happy joy joy

#2261 4 years ago

Lol, damn pins got you too. My T target issue sent me down the rabbit home too.

#2262 4 years ago

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone else notice excessive speaker hum that fluctuates with the blinking of the playfield lights during attract mode? I have eight pins, from system 6's to DE dmd's from early 90's, and space shuttle is the only one that has this issue.

If I put the game in diagnostic mode so no playfield lights are on then the noise goes away. It seems to be directly related to playfield lights blinking. Incandescent bulbs being swapped with LED's made no difference. It happens the same with the original power supply and with a brand new rottendog. I replaced the giant filter cap mounted in the back box and no change. Fiddled with the screw mounts and tightening/loosening the circuit boards in the back box with no difference whatsoever.

Does anyone here have the same issue?

I'm considering trying a separate isolated power supply for the sound board.

#2263 4 years ago

Just got this all fixed up. New power supply new cpu with updated roms new sound roms and new 5v displays etc. Works great some playfield wear some cabinet flaws etc. Looking for a value check I suppose on this mechanically sound game with some cosmetic flaws.

B8B5428B-A758-45C2-B7DF-86CBF320F319 (resized).jpegB8B5428B-A758-45C2-B7DF-86CBF320F319 (resized).jpeg
#2264 4 years ago

New glass and rubber too
1F5D6C08-AF3D-445E-B8BB-9C9FF341A2C5 (resized).jpeg1F5D6C08-AF3D-445E-B8BB-9C9FF341A2C5 (resized).jpeg4C5769C7-2210-4991-B551-6088F72FC011 (resized).jpeg4C5769C7-2210-4991-B551-6088F72FC011 (resized).jpeg785F07C4-A3B6-455E-90FB-A14E38F13151 (resized).jpeg785F07C4-A3B6-455E-90FB-A14E38F13151 (resized).jpeg234CE127-B868-4BB0-B1D4-1204B08027DD (resized).jpeg234CE127-B868-4BB0-B1D4-1204B08027DD (resized).jpeg7D19F979-E63B-409C-BA41-E2F536F5E4A5 (resized).jpeg7D19F979-E63B-409C-BA41-E2F536F5E4A5 (resized).jpeg

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone else notice excessive speaker hum that fluctuates with the blinking of the playfield lights during attract mode?

I have this exact same issue but haven't made it a priority to resolve; looking forward to a response.

#2266 4 years ago

I had this same issue and in my case it was an easy fix. I just tightened all the screws holding the boards in the backbox and it went away. I hope this works for you.

Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone else notice excessive speaker hum that fluctuates with the blinking of the playfield lights during attract mode? I have eight pins, from system 6's to DE dmd's from early 90's, and space shuttle is the only one that has this issue.
If I put the game in diagnostic mode so no playfield lights are on then the noise goes away. It seems to be directly related to playfield lights blinking. Incandescent bulbs being swapped with LED's made no difference. It happens the same with the original power supply and with a brand new rottendog. I replaced the giant filter cap mounted in the back box and no change. Fiddled with the screw mounts and tightening/loosening the circuit boards in the back box with no difference whatsoever.
Does anyone here have the same issue?
I'm considering trying a separate isolated power supply for the sound board.

#2267 4 years ago

I had the hum, and also had speech issues. I switched out the sound/speech board with new roms and new cable and the hum is gone , and I can now understand what he is saying as well

#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone else notice excessive speaker hum that fluctuates with the blinking of the playfield lights during attract mode? Mine was the same way here's what worked for me. tighten the hell out of the screws for the main board but don't use all of them, for some reason less is more with this issue. I think mine is just the top Center ,left and right center and bottom center screws that I have in. I thought that by adding more to secure the board better it wood fix the problem,but only made it worse. Removed extras and again tightened the hell out of them screws and machine runs silent in attract mode now.

#2269 4 years ago

Bad ground
Bad caps
Bad roms
Are the three most common cause of the hum.

#2270 4 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Looking for a value check I suppose on this mechanically sound game with some cosmetic flaws.

Looks like you got an answer, since your ad is showing "Sale Pending."
For what it's worth, I think your asking price was in the ballpark.

#2271 4 years ago

hi all...

i have a simple ask about the code

after watching videos, seems LOCKS are always lit/available on the table, i mean when you have finished your mutiball and are back to 1 ball, you dont have to relight LOCKS...

than, is there a setup in the code where you have to shoot something to first relight the LOCKS (and than makes the game a bit harder & hazardous) ?

tanx

(PS : i have the same ask about GRAND LIZARD)

#2272 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

hi all...
i have a simple ask about the code
after wayching videos, seems LOCKS are always lit/available on the table, i mean when you have finished your mutiball and are back to 1 ball, you dont have to relight LOCKS...
than, is there a setup in the code where you have to shoot something to first relight the LOCKS (and than makes the game a bit harder & hazardous) ?
tanx
(PS : i have the same ask about GRAND LIZARD)

Locks are always lit.

#2273 4 years ago

ok, tanx for the answer

#2274 4 years ago

My right flipper isn't changing the lane rollovers, any ideas?

#2275 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

My right flipper isn't changing the lane rollovers, any ideas?

Try cleaning the flipper contacts if you haven't already

#2276 4 years ago

anyone have a left slingshot plastic I could buy? mine just shattered from a flying ball.

1 week later
#2277 4 years ago

For those looking for a replacement ramp, it looks like Larry at Starship Fantasy may be getting ready to start making them again. You might want to watch this thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ramps-by-starship-fantasy/page/3#post-5311852

#2278 4 years ago

Ugh. Still fighting my right pop bumper. I'm pretty sure all that was wrong was a skirt/spoon alignment (just pressing the skirt up top, it was clear it didn't press the same way as the other two) but now, after messing around with the leafs I have zero action whatsoever on that pop. Then, looking at the board to see if something stood out, I saw this wonderful 'fix'. I don't think it's a contributing factor to this issue, but... Wow.
IMG_20191119_212416 (resized).jpgIMG_20191119_212416 (resized).jpg

Back on task, just how are people adjusting pop bumpers on these? No matter how I prop the playfield, I can't seem to contort myself in such a manner that I can do much of anything pop-related with any ease. It's beyond frustrating.

#2279 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Ugh. Still fighting my right pop bumper. I'm pretty sure all that was wrong was a skirt/spoon alignment (just pressing the skirt up top, it was clear it didn't press the same way as the other two) but now, after messing around with the leafs I have zero action whatsoever on that pop. Then, looking at the board to see if something stood out, I saw this wonderful 'fix'. I don't think it's a contributing factor to this issue, but... Wow.
[quoted image]
Back on task, just how are people adjusting pop bumpers on these? No matter how I prop the playfield, I can't seem to contort myself in such a manner that I can do much of anything pop-related with any ease. It's beyond frustrating.

You can *carefully* lift the playfield all way so its pointing straight up in the air, then gently slide the back of the playfield forward just a bit and lean it against the back box. Just make sure it has several degrees tilt towards the back box and its not perfectly straight up, otherwise it could accidentally fall down. All of the wire harnesses are more than long enough to allow you to prop the playfield up like this. You'll have to first lift the playfield then slide it way out forward. You may have to stand on the side of the machine and actually lift both the front and back of the playfield to kind of scoot it into position. Its not too hard though. Then you will have direct access to the underside of the pops with nothing in the way. TAKE THE BALLS OUT FIRST!

Which transistor is that in the pic (with the hot glue around it)?

You could try lifting the playfield as described above (with balls taken out), turn the machine on and put it in diagnostic mode. Then you will be able to test the leaf switches on the pop bumper directly, measure voltage, etc.

Also test the TIP transistor that is associated with this pop. There is a small chance maybe if you shorted one of the leafs and the coil was stuck on too long it may have fried the driver transistor.

I'm not sure if this is a recommended solution but you could use very fine grit sandpaper and electrical contact cleaner and very gently cleaned the leaf contacts without bending them.

When all else fails always check continuity everywhere, even between the tip of the leaf and base of the solder lug, all the way up to the header pins on the CPU board.

Good luck!

#2280 4 years ago

Good call on propping the playfield like that. Much easier to get in there and work on the pop. I'm not sure how much it contributed to my issue but I actually used my Flex Stone already. At this point I think my best play is probably to just buy an entirely new switch stack and see where that gets me. If it still doesn't work, then it's board issues.

The pop coil is definitely still free and after adjusting the leafs (from previously working, I filed them lightly and made SURE to be ready to turn the machine off if the pop immediately fired on game start, but it didn't and hadn't fired since).

Still shuddering at that transistor... Yikes.

Oh, and I noticed this burned looking spot while nosing around. Not sure if that's a problem or not...

IMG_20191122_151642 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_151642 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_151652 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_151652 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_151610 (resized).jpgIMG_20191122_151610 (resized).jpg
#2281 4 years ago

KSUWildcatFan it’s easy to test the transistor. Take a wire, one end on ground braid, then touch the top of the transistor. The pop should fire. If it doesn’t, the transistor is bad. You can use this trick on any transistor in attract mode, even the voice clips.

#2282 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

ksuwildcatfan it’s easy to test the transistor. Take a wire, one end on ground braid, then touch the top of the transistor. The pop should fire. If it doesn’t, the transistor is bad. You can use this trick on any transistor in attract mode, even the voice clips.

Yup, I did that while testing my T target which wasn't working all of a sudden.

I'll do some more digging tomorrow. I need to research what that horribly "fixed" transistor handles, too. That is.. Bad.

#2283 4 years ago

Finally had a chance to investigate in the backbox just a little. That horribly "fixed" transistor is Q83. I'll give you one guess what that handles...

So, I guess I'll be learning how to repair this.

IMG_20191128_093644 (resized).jpgIMG_20191128_093644 (resized).jpgIMG_20191128_093809 (resized).jpgIMG_20191128_093809 (resized).jpg
#2284 4 years ago

We just joined the club this past Wednesday, picking up our Space Shuttle from a Pinsider in Atlanta. My daughter loves it, and it has been
her favorite "Pinball Arcade" game on her Kindle for years. Then we got it home and the "reality" of owning the real deal for her sets in.

She CANNOT see the playfield for the darn reflection of the head on the PF glass. (It's not like this on the kindle she says! LOL)
This is really annoying her. I'm looking into Non-Glare PF glass, but wanted to ask others here what they might have done to help minimize this effect. She's tried different heights by standing on stools, etc. Look forward to hearing your ideas! : )
Murph

#2285 4 years ago

She CANNOT see the playfield for the darn reflection of the head on the PF glass. A lot of folks have replaced the lights behind the shuttle with LEDs ,super bright. Try going old school with some incandecents (#44's) behind the shuttle. Good luck and welcome to the club

#2286 4 years ago

Here are some questions for any shuttle heads who have installed a hardtop on their machine. I know they look impressive right after the install how are they holding up after you've had them in there for a while? Was there anything during the install you would do different if you had it to do over again? I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one and I've set aside some time in the spring for the install. Any tips or tricks, Do's or don'ts would be appreciated.

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Here are some questions for any shuttle heads who have installed a hardtop on their machine. I know they look impressive right after the install how are they holding up after you've had them in there for a while? Was there anything during the install you would do different if you had it to do over again? I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one and I've set aside some time in the spring for the install. Any tips or tricks, Do's or don'ts would be appreciated.

I don't have one on my game, but I went to look at one to buy that had one installed. I didn't buy it mainly because of the hardtop. It was coming up under the ramp area creating a hump and the holes that were cut out to match the holes on the playfield did not match up well. This could be a result of a poor installation, but it also deterred me from buying a hardtop for my machine. It also looked a little cheap and plasticy to me. Others may have had a different experience.

#2288 4 years ago

Sounds like poor install. Mine looks great! Can’t tell it’s a hardtop. My machine was at a show and received a lot of plays over three days and there was zero noticeable wear.

#2289 4 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

I don't have one on my game, but I went to look at one to buy that had one installed. I didn't buy it mainly because of the hardtop. It was coming up under the ramp area creating a hump and the holes that were cut out to match the holes on the playfield did not match up well. This could be a result of a poor installation, but it also deterred me from buying a hardtop for my machine. It also looked a little cheap and plasticy to me. Others may have had a different experience.

Lol. Probably the one I bought. I'll have to take a closer look tonight.

#2290 4 years ago

I didn't buy it mainly because of the hardtop. It was coming up under the ramp area

not what I wanted to hear but probably what I needed to hear. I have concerns because I'm thinking of possibly adding one of Starship fantasy ramps and I know they're thicker and can be a pain to get flush with the playfield at the ramp entrance,wondering if the thickness of the hardtop is just going to add to the complications.

#2291 4 years ago

There's no adhesive under the main ramp because of the insert that's there (no adhesive under the clear holes for inserts). I'm not sure I see it as "coming up" -- I only see anything at all when I have the glass off and I'm sticking my head right next to it. I've not noticed any issues as far as gameplay is concerned.

I have just ONE complaint about the hardtop. It seems to attract dust like CRAZY. But I imagine some canned air would make quick work of it.

All in all I think the hardtop is great for games with gross playfields. It plays fast as hell so it's a completely different experience. But I certainly wouldn't sand down a nice playfield to install one (who would?!).

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I didn't buy it mainly because of the hardtop. It was coming up under the ramp area
not what I wanted to hear but probably what I needed to hear. I have concerns because I'm thinking of possibly adding one of Starship fantasy ramps and I know they're thicker and can be a pain to get flush with the playfield at the ramp entrance,wondering if the thickness of the hardtop is just going to add to the complications.

The hardtop is like 1mm thick. It's not going to cause any issues from that front. Besides, since you're sanding off the top layer on the playfield to begin with.. It's even less of an issue.

Hardtops aren't for everyone, but I personally like mine. I need to finish my high speed so I'm ready to start eight ball deluxe sometime in January.. Ugh.

#2293 4 years ago

I'm going to hardtop my Space Shuttle. The playfield is absolutely roached and there are all sorts of things that need work underneath the playfield. I have the hardtop, new plastics, new backglass, new pop bumper parts, new flipper mechs and a new shuttle. I'm patiently waiting for Starship Fantasy to FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY start producing the ramp again! That's the missing piece and Larry has said that he will be doing them soon (whatever that means).

I have a Black Knight with a hardtop on it and I've been playing it for about a year. I don't see any issues and it plays very well. It's a great way to revive a game that won't get any love because of it's playfield but some people will complain that it doesn't play the same. They're entitled to their opinion.

#2294 4 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I'm going to hardtop my Space Shuttle. The playfield is absolutely roached and there are all sorts of things that need work underneath the playfield. I have the hardtop, new plastics, new backglass, new pop bumper parts, new flipper mechs and a new shuttle. I'm patiently waiting for Starship Fantasy to FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY start producing the ramp again! That's the missing piece and Larry has said that he will be doing them soon (whatever that means).
I have a Black Knight with a hardtop on it and I've been playing it for about a year. I don't see any issues and it plays very well. It's a great way to revive a game that won't get any love because of it's playfield but some people will complain that it doesn't play the same. They're entitled to their opinion.

You'll love your hardtopped SS!

I'll love mine when I get my boards back...

#2295 4 years ago

Can someone tell me where to find this part? I'm missing a couple on my play field.
I call it a "Stand Off". Helps support plastics. I'd like to get metal OEM like the one circled in the pic.
Took the picture by Marco, and they said they didn't have them.

your help would be appreciated.
Murphy

IMG_4153 (resized).jpgIMG_4153 (resized).jpg
#2296 4 years ago

A friend in the coin op industry had some boxes of Replay Magazine he took to auction. He managed to save this for me.

RPlay December 1984

C557C05A-86CC-4EAF-920C-8C59F3769EE6 (resized).jpegC557C05A-86CC-4EAF-920C-8C59F3769EE6 (resized).jpeg
#2297 4 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

A friend in the coin op industry had some boxes of Replay Magazine he took to auction. He managed to save this for me.
RPlay December 1984[quoted image]

That's awesome!

#2298 4 years ago

LED'd my machine this weekend.

20191214_213914 (resized).jpg20191214_213914 (resized).jpg20191214_213932 (resized).jpg20191214_213932 (resized).jpg
#2299 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkInAbox:

LED'd my machine this weekend.[quoted image][quoted image]

Good looking game,like the lit ball trough,nice touch

#2300 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Good looking game,like the lit ball trough,nice touch

I believe the lit ball trough is courtesy of me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/46?hl=apinjunkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.