(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 90.
#2051 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

Well I’m in the club as of today!! It’s a project. I’ll be doing a hardtop eventually after it’s all up and running well. Cab is actually really nice but the PF is beat. Backglass I’d pealing but it’s all there just gotta triple thick it with saran wrap. I’ll get a new glass when I get the hardtop though. MPU isn’t booting right now so I might have to lean on you folks soon.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the club. That cab and bb look pretty nice.

#2052 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club. That cab and bb look pretty nice.

Yeah it really is! I'm excited about this one. I've wanted a Space Shuttle for a long time. I am having some issues with MPU/PSU and made a post in the early SS forum. Anyone good with these games mind giving it a quick read and suggestions?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-sys-9-power-supply-help

Thanks!

#2053 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

Yeah it really is! I'm excited about this one. I've wanted a Space Shuttle for a long time. I am having some issues with MPU/PSU and made a post in the early SS forum. Anyone good with these games mind giving it a quick read and suggestions?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-sys-9-power-supply-help
Thanks!

Pinsider grumpy worked on mine, send him a pm. Tell him I sent you.

#2054 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

Well I’m in the club as of today!! It’s a project. I’ll be doing a hardtop eventually after it’s all up and running well. Cab is actually really nice but the PF is beat. Backglass I’d pealing but it’s all there just gotta triple thick it with saran wrap. I’ll get a new glass when I get the hardtop though. MPU isn’t booting right now so I might have to lean on you folks soon.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you really plan sand that and hardtop it you should be slapped silly (too late for slapped stupid), and that game should be taken from you before you destroy it.

#2055 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

If you really plan sand that and hardtop it you should be slapped silly (too late for slapped stupid), and that game should be taken from you before you destroy it.

You've inspired me, I'll make a log thread to follow along with all the juicy sanding progress and I'll dedicate it to you.

Seriously though besides the random internet douche baggery and idiotic threats of violence over a pinball machine, maybe if you saw the PF in person and not from a tiny internet photo, you might have a different perspective, but hey you're Marvin the all knowing. Could there possibly be issues with this PF that maybe you aren't aware of?

Troll on!

#2056 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

It's his game he can do what he wants. That pf my be roached and the only way to save it is the hard top. Unless you have a NOS pf that you could sell him for a couple hundred?

#2057 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

You've inspired me, I'll make a log thread to follow along with all the juicy sanding progress and I'll dedicate it to you.
Seriously though besides the random internet douche baggery and idiotic threats of violence over a pinball machine, maybe if you saw the PF in person and not from a tiny internet photo, you might have a different perspective, but hey you're Marvin the all knowing. Could there possibly be issues with this PF that maybe you aren't aware of?
Troll on!

FWIW, my playfield was in similar condition and I originally was going to have it reprinted but that fell through. I used the hardtop and do not regret it one bit.

1 week later
#2058 4 years ago

Besides sending my boards out for check/repair, are there any suggestions for my current issue. Background sound for some reason is getting quieter. With the cabinet volume knob at max volume, and adjusting the volume knob on the speech board, I cannot increase the volume anymore of the background sounds. Speech is loud and clear as i adjust the pot on the sound board, but the game sound FX is not nearly as loud as it used to be. Just started noticing it the last few times I have played the game. Now you can really hear every bit of commotion during gameplay. Everything else on the game works perfectly. Items not original in game are a rotten dog power supply that was installed by former owner, no idea how old that is, and I installed the rectifier board from Inkochnito (about 1 month ago) and Pinscore displays. Game has been working great for the past 1.5 years, now just noticing the sound FX getting quieter.

Any suggestions?

#2059 4 years ago

Well I sent the MPU and speech board off to Coin-Op Cauldron for the heck of it. After reviewing a few pictures I sent them, he noticed some corrosion but needed to see it in person to determine if and what could be wrong. As well as see if it is financially feasible to repair any corrosion that may be starting to make my game not work perfectly. Hopefully they will get it by Friday and can assess it shortly there after. Will keep you guys posted if he finds anything. I'm ok with a complete overhaul if that is what it takes to keep my game alive, love this game over all my others past and present pins. Worst case, I'll go on the waiting list for the new Rottendog board that combines the sound and speech board on the MPU. We will see.

#2060 4 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Well I sent the MPU and speech board off to Coin-Op Cauldron for the heck of it. After reviewing a few pictures I sent them, he noticed some corrosion but needed to see it in person to determine if and what could be wrong. As well as see if it is financially feasible to repair any corrosion that may be starting to make my game not work perfectly. Hopefully they will get it by Friday and can assess it shortly there after. Will keep you guys posted if he finds anything. I'm ok with a complete overhaul if that is what it takes to keep my game alive, love this game over all my others past and present pins. Worst case, I'll go on the waiting list for the new Rottendog board that combines the sound and speech board on the MPU. We will see.

Hope you get it sorted out.

#2061 4 years ago

Hey guys, I picked up a Space Shuttle back in December. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, but it's my first project game so I figured it's a good opportunity to expand my repair skills and refurb as much of it as I can.

Anyways, I thought I'd mention, if anyone is looking for the wide back box version of cabinet stencils I found them. Shoot Jeff at Pinball Pimp an email before ordering them and he'll cut them for you. I had previously looked around online for them everywhere with no luck. Finally, I discovered he made them after emailing him on a whim and ordered a set. Figured I'd pass that along.

#2062 4 years ago
Quoted from chaosrooster:

Hey guys, I picked up a Space Shuttle back in December. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, but it's my first project game so I figured it's a good opportunity to expand my repair skills and refurb as much of it as I can.
Anyways, I thought I'd mention, if anyone is looking for the wide back box version of cabinet stencils I found them. Shoot Jeff at Pinball Pimp an email before ordering them and he'll cut them for you. I had previously looked around online for them everywhere with no luck. Finally, I discovered he made them after emailing him on a whim and ordered a set. Figured I'd pass that along.

Can you post what he charges for them (is there a premium to create them ad hoc)?

#2063 4 years ago

There was no premium. I paid what he normally charges for them which is $149 + shipping. I would definitely grab his email off his website and message him first if you end up purchasing though.

#2064 4 years ago

Just joined, looking right at home

20190425_195453 (resized).jpg20190425_195453 (resized).jpg

#2065 4 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Just joined, looking right at home
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club. Hope it's in good shape.

#2066 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club. Hope it's in good shape.

Thanks, I think it's ok given the age, I have seen a lot worse System 9's! The back glass is lifting a bit but I have sealed it so hopefully it's stable. Has anyone used the replacement translites on Ebay?

20190428_112427 (resized).jpg20190428_112427 (resized).jpg
20190428_112432 (resized).jpg20190428_112432 (resized).jpg
20190428_112441 (resized).jpg20190428_112441 (resized).jpg

20190428_112432 (resized).jpg20190428_112432 (resized).jpg20190428_112427 (resized).jpg20190428_112427 (resized).jpg20190428_112441 (resized).jpg20190428_112441 (resized).jpg
#2067 4 years ago

No idea why the photos are posted twice

#2068 4 years ago

Yeah the pf is worn but not to bad but that bg look pretty bad. Not seen the tl but I suppose you don't want to buy a new repo one.

#2069 4 years ago

The translight one i have is not right for my displays its at least 1/4 inch off so i bought a cpr one couldn't be happier it looks amazing with the mirroring. Your game looks great otherwise!

#2070 4 years ago

Looking for an undamaged Space Shuttle ramp and shuttle. Repro, NOS, I don't care so long as its undamaged. Can be with or without stickers.

And I doubt it, but if anyone has an extra hard top that they'd let go for cheaper than ordering my own I'm in the market for one as well. My game has the non-hotdog inserts in the middle of the playfield.

For those who are within range, I will be at the Allentown show this Friday only.

#2071 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkInAbox:

Looking for an undamaged Space Shuttle ramp and shuttle. Repro, NOS, I don't care so long as its undamaged. Can be with or without stickers.
And I doubt it, but if anyone has an extra hard top that they'd let go for cheaper than ordering my own I'm in the market for one as well. My game has the non-hotdog inserts in the middle of the playfield.
For those who are within range, I will be at the Allentown show this Friday only.

Starship Fantasy has the Shuttle.
https://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Space-Shuttle-Ship

Good luck with the ramp!

#2072 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkInAbox:

Freeplay 40 hopefully do the ramp when he has his bigger equipment finished.

#2073 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hope you get it sorted out

Well got the verdict back from Coinop Cauldron. Board is the issue and cannot be economically repaired. (upwards of $600 or so) . Guess battery damage from years ago is slowly killing the components like a cancer. After the inspection, it was noted to have corrosion about 2/3 of the board. Sucks. To my untrained eye it didn’t look bad until they explained everything. Basically I’ll just put the board back in and play it till the game finally dies. Hopefully by then, Rottendog will have their latest revision of their new MPU board that works with system 9 games. On the waiting list for one through Ksarcade. Great communication with coinop cauldron and the assessment was free.

#2074 4 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Well got the verdict back from Coinop Cauldron. Board is the issue and cannot be economically repaired. (upwards of $600 or so) . Guess battery damage from years ago is slowly killing the components like a cancer. After the inspection, it was noted to have corrosion about 2/3 of the board. Sucks. To my untrained eye it didn’t look bad until they explained everything. Basically I’ll just put the board back in and play it till the game finally dies. Hopefully by then, Rottendog will have their latest revision of their new MPU board that works with system 9 games. On the waiting list for one through Ksarcade. Great communication with coinop cauldron and the assessment was free.

WOW sorry to hear that.

2 weeks later
#2075 4 years ago

It’s funny you ask this, as I thought the same thing years ago.
When my wife was about the play a Space Shuttle many years ago before we bought one, I was like, this game is great, the shuttle will move during gameplay. Then it didn’t happen.
After thinking a bout it, I think as a kid, the one I played in the arcade must have had a shuttle that was loose or broken, and anytime I shot it up the ramp, it went up, and then it would slowly come back down, and then back up with another ramp shot.

But, then again, maybe it’s one of those alternate reality things, as until I bought one, I would have put money on space shuttle having a moving shuttle ...lol

Quoted from groffdaddy:

Was there ever a version of Space Shuttle that the shuttle actually moved up and down? I swear I played one where it did unless it was another game.

#2076 4 years ago

Hey all you fine space shuttle owners! Question, are you able to “easily” hit the ramp shot using the right flipper? Seems to me right flipper is really only good for lock and getting into the pops. I did a complete rebuild, and it plays great! Just wondering if my right flipper is weak. I wish there was a flipper strength test!

#2077 4 years ago

You should be able to hit the ramp from both flippers.

#2078 4 years ago

I can nail the ramp easy with the right flipper.

#2079 4 years ago

You should also be able to rake the drop targets on the way through the spinner with the right flipper.

#2080 4 years ago
Quoted from WeLoveScott:

I can nail the ramp easy with the right flipper.

Quoted from slgerber:

You should also be able to rake the drop targets on the way through the spinner with the right flipper.

Yep, same here. I'd check your EOS gap as I often have to mess with them when I do a rebuild to get them set right. Check for any slop in the assembly too.

#2081 4 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

Can I also add that this is one of my favorite shots in all of pinball. Once I lined it up with a graphic on the playfield near the flipper I can get all three drops down probably 30% of the time. It's so satisfying.

#2082 4 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

Fun fact, if you sweep the targets, you get a lot more points!!

#2083 4 years ago

Wow, thanks guys! I was wondering why hitting the targets was so difficult. I rebuilt both flippers and the left one works great. I just can’t figure out what’s going on with the right one.

#2084 4 years ago

Price check for a Space Shuttle with the typical completely roached playfield?
I know that there are hot dog hardtops currently available.

Also, concerned about the System 9 Rottendog Board...
Any idea when it will be available?
Any idea about what it may end up costing?

The guy is asking $1000, which obviously isn't happening.

What does a shopped, "good boards, reflowed, reseated, no corrosion" with a good playfield copy go for?

#2085 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

What does a shopped, "good boards, reflowed, reseated, no corrosion" with a good playfield copy go for?

Browse the market history section for Space Shuttle (or any other game for that matter).

#2086 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

-Rottendog boards available now; mine has it
-Around $400 for board + chips
-Mine is dolled up, so cant compare. I’d say a NICE SS goes for 2k-ish nowadays?

#2087 4 years ago

Mine is READY TO GO IN 3.. 2.. 1..

5FAD5DA2-DA50-46BB-9477-1B03F19EF1B9 (resized).jpeg5FAD5DA2-DA50-46BB-9477-1B03F19EF1B9 (resized).jpeg98D265ED-EA90-4AE6-9B12-A3FF1C694F30 (resized).jpeg98D265ED-EA90-4AE6-9B12-A3FF1C694F30 (resized).jpeg
#2088 4 years ago

OK latest update on my MPU board that coin-op cauldron said couldn't be financially feasibly fixed. Sound was getting super quiet yet speech was fine. They said due to corrosion it was too far gone. And if they could work it, due to backlog, would be up to 8 week wait. I reached out to Dr Ed Cheung who repairs several types of pinball boards and works on part of the NASA programs, http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/cpu.htm

I mailed the board to him, he received it Friday and sent me a video Sunday that it was repaired and put in the mail!!!! Had to replace part R70 and not the board! Everything else on the board tested perfectly, YAY. Can't wait to get it and start playing my favorite pin!

#2089 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'd agree that 2K with the new Rottendog installed is reasonable. 1200-1500 with original boards, but they're risky depending on how they've been cared for.

#2090 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

If you want a pretty good copy of an original, I would check this out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/76412

#2091 4 years ago

I'm experimenting a little bit with my new diy CNC machine....

Watching the machine doing it's work is like meditation
Here it is engraving acrylic....

This is supposed to be some kind of a prototype for a custom topper....

IMG_20190519_182031 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_182031 (resized).jpg
#2092 4 years ago

bigger

#2093 4 years ago

Looking awesome.

If you are interested in an idea for the design, you could make it a half circle, where the bottom it the flat side and the top is the rounded part. By doing this, you would get the flat side to sit in the track to get the light pickup. And you could loose the bottom half that has a ton of empty space / not a lot doing on. I think it would work really well....it would keep the circle feel of the design, use the most important part while removing dead space. Obviously you would want to adjust the ship and everything to make it look right on the half circle spacing.
Anyways, it’s just a thought I had while looking at it, use it ...or not...up to you

Whatever you do....cool idea...and I look forward to seeing the final product!

Quoted from OlliG:

I'm experimenting a little bit with my new diy CNC machine....
Watching the machine doing it's work is like meditation
Here it is engraving acrylic....
This is supposed to be some kind of a prototype for a custom topper....[quoted image]

#2094 4 years ago

YAY, got my board back from Ed Cheung today and now my game works perfectly! I had no idea how loud this pin could be. I have owned this pin for a while, but with no others to compare to, I didn't think my sound was that far off! I always had to keep the volume knob turned way up to hear properly, figured that was normal. In turn, I always had a hum from the speakers. I thought it was due to screws out/grounding, etc. Apparently it's like any other speaker that may hum when turned all the way up! Now with the mother board repaired, I had to turn the volume way down, now game sounds just as loud as my other pins, and I barely hear a hum now! Perfect!!!!!

#2096 4 years ago
Quoted from WeLoveScott:

Can I also add that this is one of my favorite shots in all of pinball. It's so satisfying.

Kkkkewww kkew kkew [clunk]

#2097 4 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

YAY, got my board back from Ed Cheung today and now my game works perfectly! I had no idea how loud this pin could be. I have owned this pin for a while, but with no others to compare to, I didn't think my sound was that far off! I always had to keep the volume knob turned way up to hear properly, figured that was normal. In turn, I always had a hum from the speakers. I thought it was due to screws out/grounding, etc. Apparently it's like any other speaker that may hum when turned all the way up! Now with the mother board repaired, I had to turn the volume way down, now game sounds just as loud as my other pins, and I barely hear a hum now! Perfect!!!!!

I have just left the club but the Shuttle I had was super loud ....I almost had the volume turned to minimum and that was perfectly fine , I don't think I even put it on max just to see .... was scared of blowing a speaker !

Mine had horrendous hum and weird noises going on when I got it ..replaced some screws in the backboard and *really* tightened all screws hard . All hum and interference virtually eliminated !

#2098 4 years ago

Brand new 2 pin side and I've owned a 1984 space shuttle for 26 years, it's been dead in the water for the last fifteen and I've just started breathing new life into it in the last 2 months. Will post a couple photos of some of the mods I've done curious what other shuttle heads think. Replaced the space shuttle toy with a custom-built rebel model kit 25 years ago and it still is holding up well. Also I reverse painted The Border areas of the play fieldglass to add some extra depth and character. Love this game!

20190523_091258 (resized).jpg20190523_091258 (resized).jpg20190523_091307 (resized).jpg20190523_091307 (resized).jpg20190523_091814 (resized).jpg20190523_091814 (resized).jpg20190523_091537 (resized).jpg20190523_091537 (resized).jpg
#2099 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I reverse painted The Border areas of the play fieldglass to add some extra depth and character

That glass is amazing looking! So unique! Well done. How did you do it? Airbrush?

#2100 4 years ago

Thanks, it is airbrushed, the foreground work is done first and then each element of the background layered over it so you can see the image through the glass. The image doesn't cover any of the Playfield area where you have action so it doesn't distract from playing the game and I left a slight Channel down the ramp return Lane so you can still see the ball coming at you as it's coming off the ramp. The exhaust Flames for the shuttle don't exactly line up because of the modded shuttle I have in it but it lines up perfectly with the original shuttle toy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/42?hl=welovescott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.