(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 90.
#1901 5 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

The biggest selling point for me on getting this particular Space Shuttle was the cabinet and coin door condition. Very little damage. Just polished the door and cleaned the mechs a bit. Had to add a NASA sticker though. It just looks appropriate. I touched up minor scuffs on the cabinet and then sealed the wood with Minwax polycrylic satin finish. On the blue touch up paint I got extremely lucky and pretty much was able to nail the perfect color and finish. That's rare for me. If anyone wants the Home Depot paint code I used, let me know. It looks wrong when the paint is wet but when dry, the touch up becomes invisible.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man you did a FANTASTIC job on it. Thumbs waaaaaaay up.

#1902 5 years ago

calico1997 looks fantastic! I'll take that home Depot color code. Thanks.

#1903 5 years ago

I would also take that code calico1997 , thanks

#1904 5 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

What a difference a new playfield and new set of plastics makes.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1905 5 years ago

Here is the paint information. It's hard for me to show how good it looks on a photo. But full disclaimer - this matches my machine which didn't have much discoloration to it. If you are matching a really faded or dirty machine, it may not match that. But this paint does look very close to factory original in my opinion.

Photo Oct 08, 10 02 29 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 02 29 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 03 57 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 03 57 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 05 11 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 05 11 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 05 50 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 05 50 PM (resized).jpg
#1906 5 years ago

Added some 1/2" chrome auto trim to the back speaker area over the original aluminum trim strips. Easy to apply and can be removed without difficultly if you don't like it.

Photo Oct 08, 10 09 36 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 09 36 PM (resized).jpg
#1907 5 years ago

(Self promotion) I added some BriteButton flipper button LEDs. These are very bright, can flash in patterns, and are super easy to install. Available at Pinball Life as a plug-and-play kit for System 9, System 11, and most other Williams and Stern games...

http://www.britemods.com/britebuttons-.html

Photo Oct 08, 10 01 06 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 08, 10 01 06 PM (resized).jpg
#1908 5 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

(Self promotion) I added some BriteButton flipper button LEDs. These are very bright, can flash in patterns, and are super easy to install. Available at Pinball Life as a plug-and-play kit for System 9, System 11, and most other Williams and Stern games...
http://www.britemods.com/britebuttons-.html[quoted image]

Yes they are nice but I made my own for $2 each.

#1909 5 years ago

I added some LED chase lights in a strip along the horizon of the earth to convey a sort of "motion". Cost about $25 all together. Hung it up with some 3M holiday light hooks and blacked out the LEDs where the Space Shuttle is using some black shrink tubing. Powered by a 12VDC to 5VDC buck converter. The remote allows a wide variety of patterns, speeds, and colors. Here's a quick video showing slow chase changing to fast chase. Unfortunately the numeric displays interfere with the chase path of the LEDs a bit.

Photo Oct 14, 3 24 27 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 14, 3 24 27 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Oct 14, 3 33 31 PM (resized).pngPhoto Oct 14, 3 33 31 PM (resized).png
#1910 5 years ago

That’s a cool creative idea!

#1911 5 years ago

Does anyone know where to look for when the solenoids fuse blows after heavy play?

The game works fine, no coils lock on when the power is turned on, but if it gets some heavy non-stop play, it will burn out that fuse.

#1912 5 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

Does anyone know where to look for when the solenoids fuse blows after heavy play?
The game works fine, no coils lock on when the power is turned on, but if it gets some heavy non-stop play, it will burn out that fuse.

Does it only happen during multiball?

#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

Are you using SB or FB fuses?

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Does it only happen during multiball?

It may, I was not on the machine when it happened. I would get called over when the ball would not longer kick out.

Quoted from vid1900:

Are you using SB or FB fuses?

SB

#1915 5 years ago

Help! I’m down to only sound issues. Thought it was the soundboard, but buying a refurbished one from ksArcade did not fix the issue. Can someone take a reading of PIN 40 on U-4 in attract and game mode with a probe? I get nothing. Thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-coil-sound-and-scoring-issues/page/2#post-4637778

#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Starship Fantasy should have them in March or April.

Did they get delayed or did I miss them again?

#1917 5 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Did they get delayed or did I miss them again?

Kept getting pushed back and still not released. I now know not to count on any projected timeline from Starship Fantasy.

#1918 5 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I added some LED chase lights in a strip along the horizon of the earth to convey a sort of "motion". Cost about $25 all together. Hung it up with some 3M holiday light hooks and blacked out the LEDs where the Space Shuttle is using some black shrink tubing. Powered by a 12VDC to 5VDC buck converter. The remote allows a wide variety of patterns, speeds, and colors. Here's a quick video showing slow chase changing to fast chase. Unfortunately the numeric displays interfere with the chase path of the LEDs a bit.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I see something that can enhance what you are trying to accomplish here. Use regular old incandescent bulbs in the two sockets behind the moon. It really makes it pop.

#1919 5 years ago

Cashbox cover: 01-5454 vs 01-7173 for the plastic 03-7626 cashbox.
Any idea why "Ready Player One" Space Shuttle (535) has an alternative cashbox cover vs Comt (540) and "Feel My Power" Sor (532)?
What's the difference?

Meta:
Cashbox 03-7626
Cashbox Cover 01-5454
Space Shuttle
S-Sh (535)

ps
Working version of Sorcerer at FarOut Coffee in Vancouver.

Space Shuttle Cashbox (resized).pngSpace Shuttle Cashbox (resized).png
#1920 5 years ago

Started Spave Shuttle Hardtop today. Sunday #1

50353B2E-6EF6-4EBA-9EEA-56F34A9900DE (resized).jpeg50353B2E-6EF6-4EBA-9EEA-56F34A9900DE (resized).jpeg
#1921 5 years ago

I am in dire need for a Space Shuttle ramp. My ramp just took a big crap on me. Going to try Starship Fantasy.

This is second time I am running into a ramp issue with game now. I wonder if the cost of 3d printing something this
big has finely come down.

Are there people who could print these on demand? For 100-300 bucks.

#1922 5 years ago

@technicalsteam @brijam has a used one for sale in the ramps wanted/for sale thread.

#1923 5 years ago

TechnicalSteam Brijam has a used one for sale in the ramps wanted/for sale thread.

#1924 5 years ago

Thanks message sent

1 week later
#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

technicalsteam brijam has a used one for sale in the ramps wanted/for sale thread.

I'm moving my office so I just listed it on eBay, starting bid is $22.

ebay.com link: 711 53200 19255 0

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I'm moving my office so I just listed it on eBay, starting bid is $22.
ebay.com link

Link doesn't work.

#1928 5 years ago

Anyone have any ideas what ramp flaps I should install on space shuttle. Are there any that may work.

As replacement ramps are unobtanium ( the repro ones ). I need to figure how to repair the ones that I do have.
Which are not horrible.

#1929 5 years ago

Yes! Haven’t installed them yet, but I think they’ll work great and the width is correct.

Chris -

It is 1-7/8 x 2-1/16

Cale Hernandez

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:08 AM <[email protected]> wrote:
Can you tell me the dimensions of this part?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9444-00

#1930 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Yes! Haven’t installed them yet, but I think they’ll work great and the width is correct.
Chris -
It is 1-7/8 x 2-1/16
Cale Hernandez
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:08 AM &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:
Can you tell me the dimensions of this part?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9444-00

Thanks going to give those a shot.

Clear Coating Space Shuttle. Restored shooter lane and eject holes. Should be all set for hard top soon.

Really disappointed that there are no ramps available for this game. I've contacted everyone I could think of who makes them.

Wonder how many people need this ramp? Wonder how many people would have to have one to make this feasible for
someone to do.

#1931 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Thanks going to give those a shot.
Clear Coating Space Shuttle. Restored shooter lane and eject holes. Should be all set for hard top soon.
Really disappointed that there are no ramps available for this game. I've contacted everyone I could think of who makes them.
Wonder how many people need this ramp? Wonder how many people would have to have one to make this feasible for
someone to do.

Freeplay40 has space shuttle ramp on his list to make after he gets a machine big enough for the ramp. I believe is is very close to the top of the list.

#1932 5 years ago

Fingers crossed I can always remove my repaired ramp and replace it down the road. Going to have to make the best of it like dozens of pinsiders of yesteryear.
Though it seems there was a awesome market a few years ago for repro parts.

#1933 5 years ago

Clear Coat completed and shooter lane looking much better than the roached out before pic. Above.
Installing Hardtop soon.

IMG_1529 (resized).jpegIMG_1529 (resized).jpeg
#1934 5 years ago

Looks good TechnicalSteam. Hardtop will be easy to install

#1935 5 years ago

Everything lined up nice. My Pop bumper screws are actually underneath the surface. Countersunk them so they are flush with playfield.

Hoping to have this together during holiday weekend and test it. Play a bunch of games and start thinking about cabinet rebuild.

IMG_2175 (resized).jpegIMG_2175 (resized).jpeg

#1936 5 years ago

Everything lined up nice. My Pop bumper screws are actually underneath the surface. Countersunk them so they are flush with playfield.
Hoping to have this together during holiday weekend and test it. Play a bunch of games and start thinking about cabinet rebuild.
[quoted image]

Man that looks great.

#1937 5 years ago

I saw a Space Shuttle yesterday with a hardtop installed and was very impressed with it. Looked great and played great too

#1938 5 years ago

Here is what the shooter lane looked like before and after. I worked hard to not take away to much. After years of wear and grime that was not easy.

BeforeAfter (resized).jpgBeforeAfter (resized).jpg

#1939 5 years ago

Here is what the shooter lane looked like before and after. I worked hard to not take away to much. After years of wear and grime that was not easy.
[quoted image]

Yeah that ground in dirt is a pain to remove without going to far. Looks good.

#1940 5 years ago

Ran into a bit of an issue. The Yellow wire on the top bank of Space Shuttle white insert lights. The one that spell out S P A C E S H U T T L E .
Well it came loose. Based on the photos I could find and what I believe makes sense I have repaired it.

In the middle of pic you will see the top two inserts connected with yellow wire.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_131f (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_131f (resized).jpg
#1941 5 years ago

Looks good to me, here’s mine.

DE990476-B162-4744-8E63-9381BE836667 (resized).jpegDE990476-B162-4744-8E63-9381BE836667 (resized).jpeg
#1942 5 years ago

Thanks it's all sorted out, looks like I got it right. So hard to figure out from the pics I could find on internet

#1943 5 years ago

Slowly making progress on my hardtop. Flipper rebuild and pop bumpers left to do.

Then hoping to work out a fix for my ramp. Why I wait for the ramp gods to vacuum form one. If vacuum forming was a bit more accessible in St.Louis I'd Be on it. Really love to learn how to do it as there doesn't seem to be many who have access or space to hombrew a vacuum forming setup.

844E1729-DCF8-45A5-8733-B563A8518FEC (resized).jpeg844E1729-DCF8-45A5-8733-B563A8518FEC (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1944 5 years ago

CPR just came out with a new plastic set.

#1945 5 years ago

I am in dire need for a Space Shuttle ramp. My ramp just took a big crap on me. Going to try Starship Fantasy.
This is second time I am running into a ramp issue with game now. I wonder if the cost of 3d printing something this
big has finely come down.
Are there people who could print these on demand? For 100-300 bucks.

To echo TechnicalSteam, I also need a new ramp badly. My restoration of this machine is in purgatory until we can get new ramps in stock! Hardtops are bringing these machines back from the dead and ramps seem to be the next most damaged playfield item that is needed.

I spoke with the Starship Fantasy owner at Expo two months ago, he indicated maybe another run of the ramps in a few months, he said to email him about it, but I haven't heard from him yet.

Anyone with insight into the new Rottendog mpus about to be released that will be compatible with sys 9 machines? Can't wait to order one to ensure an extended lifetime for Space Shuttles.
https://ksarcade.net/new-used-pinball-boards-parts/rottendog-products/rottendog-mpu9211.html

#1946 5 years ago

Anyone got any spare displays? I bought a Space Shuttle in pieces, and finally got it together, but 1 display is fully toast, and another is going.

#1947 5 years ago

I know K's arcade sells new ones, but at what they cost, it is actual cheaper to just replace all of them with the rottendog led replacements

#1948 5 years ago

Yeah, thats what I have found for even a lot of used ones for sale. By the time I buy 2, I might as well buy the entire bundle. Was hoping someone has upgraded and had some old ones laying around.

#1949 5 years ago

The ball is slingshoting off of my "T" drop target like crazy from my left flipper (which is more powerful). The ball flies up in the air, hits the glass and usually rolls over the left plastics and straight down the left outlane.

Is the target just worn out and bending too much when it is hit? is the spring adjusted incorrectly?

#1950 5 years ago

I solved ramp issue by installing flaps but plan on new ramp whe available. Game is playing great now. Took out more of colored GI but like this look now.

8E794702-B61C-4CA9-A9DC-85D426CED688 (resized).jpeg8E794702-B61C-4CA9-A9DC-85D426CED688 (resized).jpegA60B958F-DAD2-4D4D-9BE0-8C7CE6A0D9B8 (resized).jpegA60B958F-DAD2-4D4D-9BE0-8C7CE6A0D9B8 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/39?hl=mountbrew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.