(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,496 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by SkyKing2301
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240425_084536 (resized).jpg
IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,496 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 90.
#1501 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Can someone post a pic of the wiring for the diagnostic 3-button. One of my wires came undone.
Thanks
Rob

Looks like you are missing one of the green/brown wires that connect to the high score reset terminal below the diode and diagonal from the terminal where the white wire is connected. I would also solder those loose stands on the yellow wire so they don't short on something.

20170514_211349 (resized).jpg20170514_211349 (resized).jpg

#1502 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I'm In!
Just picked up a fairly rough but fully working and playing Shuttle!
Playfield is pretty borked, so I just ordered the new hardtop overlay.
Going to be interesting seeing how that comes out.

Can you post a link to the overlay you are using; I am curious to check them out.

#1503 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Looks like you are missing one of the green/brown wires that connect to the high score reset terminal below the diode and diagonal from the terminal where the white wire is connected. I would also solder those loose stands on the yellow wire so they don't short on something.

Thanks

Just to be certain, since your pic is hard to see. My loose Green/Brown wire attaches to the far right white connector. And connects to the bottom right connector. The same one that already has a green/brown wire attached to it?

#1504 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Can you post a link to the overlay you are using; I am curious to check them out.

This one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included

#1505 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Thanks
Just to be certain, since your pic is hard to see. My loose Green/Brown wire attaches to the far right white connector. And connects to the bottom right connector. The same one that already has a green/brown wire attached to it?

Sometimes describing this stuff can create more confusion so I pulled my switch bank to take better pictures from various angles. Let me know if this clears things up or not.

20170515_111149 (resized).jpg20170515_111149 (resized).jpg

20170515_111220 (resized).jpg20170515_111220 (resized).jpg

20170515_111245 (resized).jpg20170515_111245 (resized).jpg

20170515_111253 (resized).jpg20170515_111253 (resized).jpg

20170515_111300 (resized).jpg20170515_111300 (resized).jpg

#1506 6 years ago

Awesome. Thanks
Looks like the two green/brown wires are soldered together to the top left (or bottow right depending on which way you hold it)

#1507 6 years ago

OK now I'm 99% there. I thought I had everything working on my game but now I noticed the L/H kicker doesn't make any sounds nor score a point. It does kick the ball as expected though. Any suggestions? I'll have to see what pin/wire/switch is associated with it. Quick look under the play and didn't notice any broken wires, maybe one of the pins I changed out in that one connector is the issue, not sure? I thought it was working before though, SOOOO close to being done!

Jason

#1508 6 years ago

Acquired another astronaut for my ever-growing autograph collection on my plastics. Today's addition - Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi, who flew aboard Discovery on STS-114, the first mission after the Columbia accident. I like the little Japanese flag he drew with it!

20170518_132134 (resized).jpg20170518_132134 (resized).jpg

#1509 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Acquired another astronaut for my ever-growing autograph collection on my plastics. Today's addition - Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi, who flew aboard Discovery on STS-114, the first mission after the Columbia accident. I like the little Japanese flag he drew with it!

That is perfect, wish I still lived in Daytona Beach to get those autographs for my game. Loved watching the night launches of the shuttle. Very cool. Lit up the whole horizon.

#1510 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Way cool. How many more ya got to go?

#1511 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Way cool. How many more ya got to go?

As many more as I can fit! Looks like I could fit a few on the large plastic from under/behind the shuttle yet, I'll probably pull that one next.

I'm up to nine so far, btw:
Doug Hurley, STS-127, -135
Bob Cabana, STS-41, -53, -65, -88
Mike Massimino, STS-109, -125
Andy Allen, STS-46, -62, -75
Robert Behnken, STS-123, -130
Stan Love, STS-122
Rick Searfoss, STS-58, -76, -90
Tony Antonelli, STS-119, -132
Soichi Noguchi, STS-114

#1512 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

As many more as I can fit! Looks like I could fit a few on the large plastic from under/behind the shuttle yet, I'll probably pull that one next.
I'm up to nine so far, btw:
Doug Hurley, STS-127, -135
Bob Cabana, STS-41, -53, -65, -88
Mike Massimino, STS-109, -125
Andy Allen, STS-46, -62, -75
Robert Behnken, STS-123, -130
Stan Love, STS-122
Rick Searfoss, STS-58, -76, -90
Tony Antonelli, STS-119, -132
Soichi Noguchi, STS-114

That's really neat, but no women yet I see, they must not visit the cape very often I guess. It's just insane that some people think NASA is fake. You could take them up and they would still probably say it was fake.

#1513 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's really neat, but no women yet I see, they must not visit the cape very often I guess.

Well, the first consideration here is the overwhelmingly-male number of astronauts -- I haven't verified the exact figures, but it's in the neighborhood of ~300 men and ~50 women flew aboard the shuttle. So the probability of running into one of the women is significantly less.

Another consideration is whether I'll know in advance I'm going to run into them! I don't keep the plastics here at my desk -- obviously, I keep them at home, installed in the machine. I recall running into Nicole Stott a few months back -- I hadn't known she was going to be there. Oh well. Eventually maybe I'll get a few.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's just insane that some people think NASA is fake. You could take them up and they would still probably say it was fake.

Don't even get me started on this. I recently had a long conversation with a Flat Earther. (The conversation was only long because I couldn't leave where I was posted, and at least the guy was polite and respectful, so civilized conversation was possible.) I simply can't wrap my head around such blatant ignorance of scientific fact. It's an impossible debate, because they reject everything spaceflight-related as "faked", and ignore basic scientific principles.

#1514 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Well, the first consideration here is the overwhelmingly-male number of astronauts -- I haven't verified the exact figures, but it's in the neighborhood of ~300 men and ~50 women flew aboard the shuttle. So the probability of running into one of the women is significantly less.
Another consideration is whether I'll know in advance I'm going to run into them! I don't keep the plastics here at my desk -- obviously, I keep them at home, installed in the machine. I recall running into Nicole Stott a few months back -- I hadn't known she was going to be there. Oh well. Eventually maybe I'll get a few.

Don't even get me started on this. I recently had a long conversation with a Flat Earther. (The conversation was only long because I couldn't leave where I was posted, and at least the guy was polite and respectful, so civilized conversation was possible.) I simply can't wrap my head around such blatant ignorance of scientific fact. It's an impossible debate, because they reject everything spaceflight-related as "faked", and ignore basic scientific principles.

I didn't realize there were that many total. WOW

Isn't it just crazy especially in this day and age. I had to work with one of these people for about a year, it was horrible and the other things he believed in were just mind blowing. He really belonged in a rubber room.

#1515 6 years ago

It's not that they believe the earth is flat it's that it consumes their being.they must constantly remind you of all the lies you're being told as they angrily spout off some YouTube facts and seem to not be able to go a day without discussing it.

#1516 6 years ago

My shuttle came with an extra mpu board that seems to have been used as a donor for components. Physically it's in nice shape. Is there anything on these boards component wise that would make them unrepairable? As in unobtainable chips? It looks like I can replace everything that's missing for about $15.

#1517 6 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

My shuttle came with an extra mpu board that seems to have been used as a donor for components. Physically it's in nice shape. Is there anything on these boards component wise that would make them unrepairable? As in unobtainable chips? It looks like I can replace everything that's missing for about $15.

I don't think so. Not that I can recall, anyway. Understanding the logic behind the logic can be unobtainable sometimes though!

1 week later
#1518 6 years ago

I'm getting ready to order a bunch of LEDs. Do I need non-ghosting for the playfield insert lights? Any other advice? Thanks

#1519 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

I'm getting ready to order a bunch of LEDs. Do I need non-ghosting for the playfield insert lights? Any other advice? Thanks

Yes you do, otherwise you'll get a slight flicker at times. I also put some in the backbox where it says player shoot again, etc.

#1520 6 years ago

And if you want to put in LED flashers, I love them, you'll need to removed the warming resistors on the circuit board at the flashers as well. I did this to both under the play field as well as on the back box for the rocket blast.

#1521 6 years ago

Cool. Thanks

1 week later
#1522 6 years ago

I have a new hardtop overlay from Outside Edge. I have the playfield stripped and ready to be sanded. Now I want a second opinion before I go for it. I realize this playfield is not as bad as many. The wear is mostly around the inserts, bumpers, USA at the top, and the ramp drop location. There is a lot of chipping especially in the upper mid playfield in the black. There is some bad planking in areas and the clearcoat in general is just so cracked and yellowed. I have done playfield touchups before but it seems like to do this one properly we're talking pretty much a complete repaint.

So what do you guys think, sand it off and hardtop it or leave it as is?

IMG_20170616_000442611 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_000442611 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170616_000903161 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_000903161 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170616_001025985 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_001025985 (resized).jpg

#1523 6 years ago

Tough call.
Just put the Hardtop on mine (and it came out great), but the playfield was a total loss.
I could see either way with yours. I am not a touchup expert, but looks to me like spot touchup would be possible.
That playfield looks better than most originals I've seen.
If you do use the Hardtop, you only NEED to sand the inserts, not the rest of it.

#1525 6 years ago

Sand it, sand it now!

#1526 6 years ago

I have a new hardtop overlay from Outside Edge. I have the playfield stripped and ready to be sanded. Now I want a second opinion before I go for it. I realize this playfield is not as bad as many. The wear is mostly around the inserts, bumpers, USA at the top, and the ramp drop location. There is a lot of chipping especially in the upper mid playfield in the black. There is some bad planking in areas and the clearcoat in general is just so cracked and yellowed. I have done playfield touchups before but it seems like to do this one properly we're talking pretty much a complete repaint.

I'm with RCA, I've seen worse, but yours as is would take more work to make it look like what you would have with the hardtop.

Unless you plan on finding a more blown out playfield, go ahead and sand it and put the hardtop down.

I mentioned this in the other thread but you may want to outline your inserts in black, it would have helped on mine to hide any inconsistencies in where the artwork didn't match.

#1527 6 years ago

Just sand the inserts. That way you can use the hard top while preserving the possibility of actual restoration in the future.

#1528 6 years ago

Thanks for the input. I'm ​going to go for it. If this wasn't such a common machine maybe I wouldn't. I peeled back some of the protective film on the overlay to compare color and you can really see how yellowed it is. Blech! Also noticed the overlay is missing some artwork and some holes. Oops! I guess that art is hidden anyway, I hope this is the only place.

For those that have installed them already, how do they play? Like a fresh clearcoat or different?

IMG_20170616_220409046~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_220409046~2 (resized).jpg

#1529 6 years ago

Thanks for the input. I'm ​going to go for it. If this wasn't such a common machine maybe I wouldn't. I peeled back some of the protective film on the overlay to compare color and you can really see how yellowed it is. Blech! Also noticed the overlay is missing some artwork and some holes. Oops! I guess that art is hidden anyway, I hope this is the only place.
For those that have installed them already, how do they play? Like a fresh clearcoat or different?

If you mean that it is missing screw holes for topside pieces, that is actually desirable in clear areas since the original playfields will all vary slightly from one another with regard to screw positioning. Better to be able to drill your own homes to perfectly align with existing holes in the pf in clear areas. And yes, you can really see how much the original acrylic lacquer has yellowed over the years!

#1530 6 years ago

The original playfield on mine had been cleared over really bad touchup (actually more of a blackout repaint). It looked like hell but played very nice and very fast.
The hardtop might play a tiny bit less fast, but it's very nice. Still need to tweak the pop bumpers, but it plays very well. I have not waxed the hardtop, which is also possible. I don't think I will, because I don't really want it lightning fast.

#1531 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

The original playfield on mine had been cleared over really bad touchup (actually more of a blackout repaint). It looked like hell but played very nice and very fast.
The hardtop might play a tiny bit less fast, but it's very nice. Still need to tweak the pop bumpers, but it plays very well. I have not waxed the hardtop, which is also possible. I don't think I will, because I don't really want it lightning fast.

Speed is a side benefit of wax. The main purpose of wax is reduction of friction to reduce scratches and wear. I can't believe the the hardtop would be so resistant to the wear and tear of a high velocity 1-inch(ish) steel ball that it would not need protection. I would wax it.

#1532 6 years ago

Anybody know where I can pick up a Space Shuttle ramp?

#1533 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

If you mean that it is missing screw holes for topside pieces, that is actually desirable in clear areas since the original playfields will all vary slightly from one another with regard to screw positioning. Better to be able to drill your own homes to perfectly align with existing holes in the pf in clear areas. And yes, you can really see how much the original acrylic lacquer has yellowed over the years!

I meant the screw holes for the bumper bodies. I'm​ away from home but I think one hole for one of the bumpers was drilled and the other five holes were not (as shown). Also missing all the holes for the right side rail. Not a problem for me, just saying. In fact I kind of wish there was a craftsman edition with no holes drilled for the wireforms so I could drill them exactly and not have the oversized holes showing.

3 weeks later
#1534 6 years ago

Can anyone do me a favor and post pics of good SS flipper assemblies? I have a PBR rebuild kit in hand and the ones in my game have been hacked over many times so I want to make sure they're correct. Namely my flippers currently don't have the wings on the cams, the small coil springs, or capacitors that come with the kit. So I'm not sure if I should use these or if they are superfluous in my case. Thanks!

#1535 6 years ago

Can anyone do me a favor and post pics of good SS flipper assemblies? I have a PBR rebuild kit in hand and the ones in my game have been hacked over many times so I want to make sure they're correct. Namely my flippers currently don't have the wings on the cams, the small coil springs, or capacitors that come with the kit. So I'm not sure if I should use these or if they are superfluous in my case. Thanks!

Does this help?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1536 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

And if you want to put in LED flashers, I love them, you'll need to removed the warming resistors on the circuit board at the flashers as well. I did this to both under the play field as well as on the back box for the rocket blast.

Which resistor should I remove? The white square one? Or the maroon cylinder?

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Does this help?

Yes, thanks!

#1538 6 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Anybody know where I can pick up a Space Shuttle ramp?

It won't be soon, but they are on the radar from Freeplay40

Clear blue is being talked about.

#1539 6 years ago

My new topper for Space Shuttle for a whopping $14, but I think it's perfect! I was thinking about the topper that is built into my Taxi, and one I just ordered for my STTNG, and I couldn't let my Space Shuttle have nothing. This idea just seemed to fit so well. Since the back glass has the big shuttle, along with the shuttle on the play field, why not add the astronaut to the game by adding his helmet? So I ordered one from amazon, wish I had a real one, but a child's helmet will do, add a spare LED strip from Cointaker that I didn't use on Taxi and tied it into the GI lights in the back box, and here it is! Yay me, lol.

IMG_1763 (resized).jpgIMG_1763 (resized).jpg

#1540 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

My new topper for Space Shuttle for a whopping $14, but I think it's perfect! I was thinking about the topper that is built into my Taxi, and one I just ordered for my STTNG, and I couldn't let my Space Shuttle have nothing. This idea just seemed to fit so well. Since the back glass has the big shuttle, along with the shuttle on the play field, why not add the astronaut to the game by adding his helmet? So I ordered one from amazon, wish I had a real one, but a child's helmet will do, add a spare LED strip from Cointaker that I didn't use on Taxi and tied it into the GI lights in the back box, and here it is! Yay me, lol.

During Halloween put a rubber monster masks in it. hahahahahahahaha

#1541 6 years ago

Hey guys, I have some more questions about reassembling my playfield but didn't want to clog up this thread too much, if you could do me a solid and check out my thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-playfield-reassembly-questions

Thanks!

#1542 6 years ago

Hey guys, I have some more questions about reassembling my playfield

I'll look at mine tonight after work and list you your items of concern on your other thread.

#1543 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It won't be soon, but they are on the radar from Freeplay40

Clear blue is being talked about.

Blue ramps would look totally sweet !!

1 month later
#1544 6 years ago

Finally got my Space Shuttle back together. It's been a long time coming. New displays, hardtop playfield, new plastics, repainted the cabinet and switched to leds.

I would say what I have now is an above average players machine.

Before:
IMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0563 (resized).JPGIMG_0563 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0750 (resized).JPGIMG_0750 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_2067 (resized).JPGIMG_2067 (resized).JPGIMG_2066 (resized).JPGIMG_2066 (resized).JPGIMG_2062 (resized).JPGIMG_2062 (resized).JPGIMG_2063 (resized).JPGIMG_2063 (resized).JPG
IMG_2068 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPG

#1545 6 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

Finally got my Space Shuttle back together. It's been a long time coming. New displays, hardtop playfield, new plastics, repainted the cabinet and switched to leds.
I would say what I have now is an above average players machine.
Before:

After:

I would say so....that looks GREAT! Fine job of bringing it back to life.

#1546 6 years ago

Just joined today! Picked up one along with a nice bk2k! Only issue so far is the lane change almost never works, anyone know the common causes before I dive into the schematics?

#1547 6 years ago

Just finished installing some blue lighted flipper buttons and blue underbody LED's. Really looks cool in the dark. Here are a few pictures of it.

IMG_20170829_003756768 (resized).jpgIMG_20170829_003756768 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170829_003737829 (resized).jpgIMG_20170829_003737829 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170829_003723000 (resized).jpgIMG_20170829_003723000 (resized).jpg

#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

Just joined today! Picked up one along with a nice bk2k! Only issue so far is the lane change almost never works, anyone know the common causes before I dive into the schematics?

Check the contacts with the flipper switch. When you say almost never means it's happening sometimes, right? Adjust and clean that switch and you should be okay.

#1549 6 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

Only issue so far is the lane change almost never works, anyone know the common causes before I dive into the schematics?

Right flipper only (since only right flipper activates lane change) ... take a look at the flipper coil & mechanism under the playfield, IIRC there's a switch on there which drives the lane change. I had this same issue pop up once, and turns out the diode on the switch had come loose ... once I reconnected the diode the lane change functioned normally.

#1550 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Right flipper only (since only right flipper activates lane change) ... take a look at the flipper coil & mechanism under the playfield, IIRC there's a switch on there which drives the lane change. I had this same issue pop up once, and turns out the diode on the switch had come loose ... once I reconnected the diode the lane change functioned normally.

Thanks, will take a look! Both pins I brought home need some soldering work, so that'll be among the touchups I do. Stainless steel wire brush on my dremel already improved the flipper power, so hopefully that'll fix the issue, thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,496 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.