(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 90.
#1401 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Ok, two quick questions.
1) free play. I've set 04 19 to the correct number but 04 18 can't be set to zero, mine goes from like 28-31 I think. What am I doing wrong?
2) is there a way to boost the volume of the main cabinet speaker? Would love to hear a little bass out of the game.
Thanks!

what did you put 04-19 to? does 04-18 just cycle 28-31? put 04-19 back to '01', then see if you can get 04-18 to '00'.

#1402 7 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

10-12 is correct, those are ramps. 47 should be off, its this guy underneath "airlock"

All problems resolved!!(Fingers crossed)

Couple tabs shorting out, wire hack in coin door....pinball!!

Now who has that Nasa speaker grill they want to get rid of??

#1403 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Now who has that Nasa speaker grill they want to get rid of??

you mean this

well, if you do get one, i'd be happy to help you out.

Speaker panel (speakers installed) (resized).JPGSpeaker panel (speakers installed) (resized).JPG

#1404 7 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

what did you put 04-19 to? does 04-18 just cycle 28-31? put 04-19 back to '01', then see if you can get 04-18 to '00'.

It's the strangest thing. 14-18 will only go from 31 to 28...not even 30. Wth???

1 week later
#1405 7 years ago

Just joined the club but this bird needs a full inspection before returning to flight.

First hiccup is this, looks like a "high tap" hack. Voltages out of the transformer are about 25% high with this configuration. Is this a common thing on these? This is my first system 9.

IMG_20170402_013613601 (resized).jpgIMG_20170402_013613601 (resized).jpg

#1406 7 years ago

So what's the scoop on repro shuttles and ramps, is anyone currently making them?

#1407 7 years ago

I talked to the CEO of Starship fantasy the 1st of November and he said he was going to rerun the ramps in 3 to 4 months and let me know when they were in.. I did email him last week to check in to see how things were going and have not heard back from him yet.

#1408 7 years ago

OK, this is the post a lot of you folks might have been waiting for: I'm trying to prepare another run of the stainless "NASA" Speaker Panels I had done in 2015, which have been mentioned several times here since. And I've had a few PMs over the years.

Sadly I do NOT have a firm availability date yet. I did get a local shop to make a similar PinBot panel I developed a month ago... but they've since been swamped and I've yet to get a firm re-commitment on quantity pricing and turnaround. I'm hoping to get that this week. At the very least I've been promised that info.... if it falls through then, well... crap.

This run of Panels will NOT be customized. They will all have the "Double W" pattern, with "535 DEFENDER" beneath the NASA logo (In 2015 I offered several options but it was a bit much to keep track of, and then one got lost in shipment which didn't help).

The good news is, assuming the last estimate I was given a month ago still holds, I can offer these a little cheaper than 2015, at $130 shipped within the Lower48. (In 2015 they were $140).

So I'm seeking an official tally of folks interested at that price. I am not taking deposits and have nothing to ship at this time! If you would buy at $130, send me a PM. If enough interest is there it may help me secure a commitment to the shop order. Maybe drive the price lower too, who knows... to that end if you are interested in the PinBot panel (see club thread there), let me know.

Thanks!

#1409 7 years ago

I'm in for 1.

#1410 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

OK, this is the post a lot of you folks might have been waiting for: I'm trying to prepare another run of the stainless "NASA" Speaker Panels I had done in 2015, which have been mentioned several times here since. And I've had a few PMs over the years.
Sadly I do NOT have a firm availability date yet. I did get a local shop to make a similar PinBot panel I developed a month ago... but they've since been swamped and I've yet to get a firm re-commitment on quantity pricing and turnaround. I'm hoping to get that this week. At the very least I've been promised that info.... if it falls through then, well... crap.
This run of Panels will NOT be customized. They will all have the "Double W" pattern, with "535 DEFENDER" beneath the NASA logo (In 2015 I offered several options but it was a bit much to keep track of, and then one got lost in shipment which didn't help).
The good news is, assuming the last estimate I was given a month ago still holds, I can offer these a little cheaper than 2015, at $130 shipped within the Lower48. (In 2015 they were $140).
So I'm seeking an official tally of folks interested at that price. I am not taking deposits and have nothing to ship at this time! If you would buy at $130, send me a PM. If enough interest is there it may help me secure a commitment to the shop order. Maybe drive the price lower too, who knows... to that end if you are interested in the PinBot panel (see club thread there), let me know.
Thanks!

that's good news, you gonna make a lot of people happy. people have asked me the same since i did the lighting mod for mine.

infos on how i did the lighting are on my space shuttle restoration thread.

#1411 7 years ago

Thanks!

Good to see your thinking of making another run. People always compliment mine.

#1412 7 years ago

Nice I've been waiting for this! Count me in!

#1413 7 years ago

Anyone want these insert decals? Normally $55 shipped from Arcadeshop, I'll let them go for $25 shipped anywhere in the US. These are nice and I've restored two SS's with them so far.

20170406_182512 (resized).jpg20170406_182512 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161027_191138 (resized).jpgIMG_20161027_191138 (resized).jpg

#1414 7 years ago

Just an update on the Speaker Panel 2nd run: Thanks to all that have PM'd me... I hope to respond individually when time and information allow, but I think there's enough interest to pursue this...

...IF the damn contractor would quit giving me the runaround! Now I'm told "next week for sure the guy who handles this will be able to get back to you". Which is what they told me LAST week... Ugh. This is getting ridiculous. The worst part is as bad as this is, they were the ONLY ONE of no less than SIX options I pursued back in late January, who was even willing to work with me in a feasible way. So it's a case of beggars cannot be choosers. Not like I can say "well eff you guys" and take my business elsewhere. Must be a great time to be a machine shop!

Anyway, I appreciate the interest and most importantly: PATIENCE!

#1415 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Anyone want these insert decals?

I've seen those around, what are they, just a vinyl sticker or mylar material? And are they die cut?

#1416 7 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

ball used to get stuck on occasion between the spinner and the top USA ball gate passages area... if you hit a weak shot through the spinner.

Had this happening on mine. My issue it turns out was there is a notch in the plastic that allows the gate hinge room to travel. The gate was hitting the notch and limiting the travel just enough that a weak shot would hang up. I filed the plastic just a hair so to allow more gate travel and no more ball stuck issues.

#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

I've seen those around, what are they, just a vinyl sticker or mylar material? And are they die cut?

Not sure what the material is, but it's pretty thin and they are die cut

#1418 7 years ago

I'm trying to prepare another run of the stainless "NASA" Speaker Panels I had done in 2015, which have been mentioned several times here since.

I was one of the lucky ones to have gotten in on that 2015 run, and got to have my game's serial number added into the grill design!
I love it and everyone who plays the game always comments on it. Many players who are familiar with the game are a bit confused when they notice it, as it looks so good that it looks stock, and they are unsure if it is stock, or they are just re,entering something wrong. To me, the fact that most think it is factory is a huge compliment for any mod...as a ,of that looks like it should have been there since it was rolled off the factory floor is the best sort of mod/addition in my opinion
--ed

#1420 7 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

everyone who plays the game always comments on it. Many players who are familiar with the game are a bit confused when they notice it, as it looks so good that it looks stock, and they are unsure if it is stock, or they are just re,entering something wrong. To me, the fact that most think it is factory is a huge compliment for any mod...as a ,of that looks like it should have been there since it was rolled off the factory floor is the best sort of mod/addition in my opinion

Comments like that make my day. Just wanted you to know.

Still working on the run prospects. If I don't get anywhere with this locally, I might have to pull my connection strings at the original Chicago-based shop that did the original run.

#1421 7 years ago

I'm trying to prepare another run of the stainless "NASA" Speaker Panels I had done in 2015, which have been mentioned several times here since. And I've had a few PMs over the years.
Sadly I do NOT have a firm availability date yet.

I gotta tell you, this design and implementation is BRILLIANT! Since your cut supplier has been MIA, I "borrowed" goingincirclez design (with permission and credit, thank you goingincirclez !) and had a buddy of mine with a laser CNC cut it, and it turned out AWESOME. I don't have access to Stainless, so I went with cold-rolled; may have to polish it up a bit.

Since my cab isn't ready for the panel, it's going to live in the back window of my car for now, making my Acura officially a 535 Defender.

Ready....Pilot....One....

Photo Apr 12, 6 59 55 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Apr 12, 6 59 55 PM (resized).jpg

#1422 7 years ago

Hello Fellow Space Shuttle Pilots!

I am a relatively new pinhead, and recently became the proud owner of my very first pin, a Space Shuttle in need of serious restoration that I picked up from the benevolent restorer, rhettkun .

I will make a separate thread to track my restoration journey (I'm a n00b, so it's gonna take a while), but I thought I'd share some "before" pictures here, and eventually the "after" pics.

My plan is to follow, as closely as possible, the amazing restoration process fastidiously outlined by beatmaster in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun . Countdown to launch, and wish me luck on re-entry!

Photo Mar 26, 12 52 46 AM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 26, 12 52 46 AM (resized).jpg

Photo Mar 26, 12 50 37 AM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 26, 12 50 37 AM (resized).jpg

Photo Mar 26, 12 48 54 AM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 26, 12 48 54 AM (resized).jpg

Photo Mar 26, 9 34 19 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 26, 9 34 19 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Mar 26, 12 49 41 AM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 26, 12 49 41 AM (resized).jpg

Photo Mar 26, 9 34 24 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Mar 26, 9 34 24 PM (resized).jpg

#1423 7 years ago
Quoted from jmmasterson:

I gotta tell you, this design and implementation is BRILLIANT! Since your cut supplier has been MIA, I "borrowed" goingincirclez design (with permission and credit, thank you goingincirclez !) and had a buddy of mine with a laser CNC cut it, and it turned out AWESOME. I don't have access to Stainless, so I went with cold-rolled; may have to polish it up a bit.
Since my cab isn't ready for the panel, it's going to live in the back window of my car for now, making my Acura officially a 535 Defender.
Ready....Pilot....One....

I have one of those.....on my game.

#1424 7 years ago
Quoted from jmmasterson:

I am a relatively new pinhead, and recently became the proud owner of my very first pin, a Space Shuttle in need of serious restoration that I picked up from the benevolent restorer, rhettkun .
I will make a separate thread to track my restoration journey (I'm a n00b, so it's gonna take a while), but I thought I'd share some "before" pictures here, and eventually the "after" pics.
My plan is to follow, as closely as possible, the amazing restoration process fastidiously outlined by beatmaster in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun . Countdown to launch, and wish me luck on re-entry!

Welcome aboard. WOW for a first pin you sure picked a rough one for a restore. I hope the cab and bb are solid.

#1425 7 years ago
Quoted from jmmasterson:

wow a lot of work ahead of you but nothing is impossible, don't be afraid to ask.

#1426 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

wow a lot of work ahead of you but nothing is impossible, don't be afraid to ask.

Yep! I've done alot to my game so I'm happy to help where I can.

#1428 7 years ago

Definitely a lot of work to do there. On the plus side, that's a perfect machine to learn the ins and outs of restoration on. No need to freak out about the inevitable error here and there. My advice: don't aim for perfect from this condition (especially since it's your first). Aim for "much better". Know when to call it good enough, wax it up, drop in three new balls and enjoy the heck out of it.

#1429 7 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Definitely a lot of work to do there. On the plus side, that's a perfect machine to learn the ins and outs of restoration on. No need to freak out about the inevitable error here and there. My advice: don't aim for perfect from this condition (especially since it's your first). Aim for "much better". Know when to call it good enough, wax it up, drop in three new balls and enjoy the heck out of it.

Oh but that's gonna be soooo hard to do after seeing Bobs game.

#1430 7 years ago

Meh, I've seen blind men do better.

#1431 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh but that's gonna be soooo hard to do after seeing Bobs game.

anybody can do the same thing paul, i'm just a little crazier.

#1432 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Meh, I've seen blind men do better.

actually blind people can do amazing things.

#1433 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

anybody can do the same thing paul, i'm just a little crazier.

Oh yeah like I have a spray booth and that whole spray setup.

#1434 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

actually blind people can do amazing things.

This is true ! And just for the record...your SS is amazing !!!

#1435 7 years ago

found the answer

#1437 7 years ago

I'm really thinking about joining the club

#1438 7 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I'm really thinking about joining the club

Hope ya got a line on a nice one.

#1439 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hope ya got a line on a nice one.

I do.there's one that the asking was 2500 and lowered to 2000 firm.it's a 9 out of 10 supposedly with led and some other work done.seems right at the top of the price chart but if it's as clean as described and in the pics then it might be worth a little extra for piece of mind....

#1440 7 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I do.there's one that the asking was 2500 and lowered to 2000 firm.it's a 9 out of 10 supposedly with led and some other work done.seems right at the top of the price chart but if it's as clean as described and in the pics then it might be worth a little extra for piece of mind....

I hope you can see it in person before you buy.

#1441 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I hope you can see it in person before you buy.

It's close enough to go look at it and not waste the whole day if I don't buy it

#1442 7 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

It's close enough to go look at it and not waste the whole day if I don't buy it

Then for sure go play and check it out.

#1443 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Then for sure go play and check it out.

I second that. I will no buy anything that I cannot see and play in person first (unless it is crazy cheap and I am ready for a project). Too many machines have undisclosed damage/ problems that sellers "forget" to photograph or disclose.

#1444 7 years ago

Hey, I'm looking for help finding a particular Space Shuttle. I bought this machine back in 2000 and sold it around 2002 or so after my first son was born. I purchased it for $125 at Super Auctions in Dallas and was the first home for it after it left O'Conner Vending. I ended up selling it at Super Auctions in Dallas as the playfield was trash and at the time, companies like CPR did not exist. I figured one day I would find one with a better playfield. 15 years later, I'm finally starting to get back into collecting and thought it would be cool if I could hunt down my original machine. Seeing it had an O'Conner vending sticker on the back glass, it will hopefully make it a bit easier to hunt down. I found the attached picture of it on the Pinball Owners website, but it was sold back in 2011.

Whether I find this one or not, I am looking for one to restore. Playing Louis Marx's at TPF really made me miss it.

space shuttle (resized).pngspace shuttle (resized).png

#1445 7 years ago
Quoted from OpSteel:

Hey, I'm looking for help finding a particular Space Shuttle. I bought this machine back in 2000 and sold it around 2002 or so after my first son was born. I purchased it for $125 at Super Auctions in Dallas and was the first home for it after it left O'Conner Vending. I ended up selling it at Super Auctions in Dallas as the playfield was trash and at the time, companies like CPR did not exist. I figured one day I would find one with a better playfield. 15 years later, I'm finally starting to get back into collecting and thought it would be cool if I could hunt down my original machine. Seeing it had an O'Conner vending sticker on the back glass, it will hopefully make it a bit easier to hunt down. I found the attached picture of it on the Pinball Owners website, but it was sold back in 2011.
Whether I find this one or not, I am looking for one to restore. Playing Louis Marx's at TPF really made me miss it.

That's not mine. Cool story, that would be a kick if you did find it. Hope ya get another one.

#1446 7 years ago

I ended up joining the F14 club instead

#1447 7 years ago
Quoted from jmmasterson:

Space Shuttle was my first pin also. I bought it because it was affordable and local. Its a great pin to start off with. Sold it a few years ago and bought another more recently.
Here is a picture of what I did with the ramp entrances on mine that are always BTS. I made some simple protectors at work on the laser to hide the damage.
IMG_5043 (resized).JPGIMG_5043 (resized).JPG

#1448 7 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Space Shuttle was my first pin also. I bought it because it was affordable and local. Its a great pin to start off with. Sold it a few years ago and bought another more recently.
Here is a picture of what I did with the ramp entrances on mine that are always BTS. I made some simple protectors at work on the laser to hide the damage.

Nice bit of work there.

#1449 7 years ago

Greetings,
I'm possibly picking up a Space Shuttle pin Wednesday with a swap for my Party Zone and cash. My problem is the game has sat at a collectors basement for 8 years without batteries. Play field is excellent and so are the plastics . He said the power board was rebuild 8 years ago. Problem is, it turns on and lights up, but won't start a game. Would this possibly mean the main CPU board is messed up or could it just be a simple switch. Laying my options on doing the deal. Always loved this game as a kid, and want it, and this is a good example of one, but the lack of support for system 9 games makes me nervous. At least Ed Cheung has support for these gems. What do you all think?

#1450 7 years ago

Are there good batteries in it now? Have the settings been properly adjusted for free play? Is it showing any errors when it is turned on?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.