(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,496 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by SkyKing2301
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240425_084536 (resized).jpg
IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,496 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 90.
#1301 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club. Wow this is your 3rd one. You have got to go through the past pages and see what Beatmaster did to his game, nicest one on the planet.

well, thanks paul.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun

Beatmaster's space shuttle (resized).jpgBeatmaster's space shuttle (resized).jpg

#1303 7 years ago

Hey guys, I have a complete project SS I will be looking to unload. Everything is present and the backglass looks really good. The head has seperated from the base and it has the usual bumps and bruises on the rest. All boards are present and there is evidence of battery leakage. Appears to have some wear on the lower playfield as well. I just picked this up with a ton of other stuff and I will not have time for this one. I would like to just sell the entire thing, but if no interest I will part it.

Ron
615-406-0204
[email protected]

#1304 7 years ago

Are all the flasher bulbs in the game 63s?

#1305 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Are all the flasher bulbs in the game 63s?

going with leds?

#1306 7 years ago

Hey guys,
I have wanted a Space Shuttle for a while and while I really love the 3k one currently for sale in Tampa it's just a little outta my price range. My question is I have an opportunity to buy a pretty nice Space Shuttle except for the Playfield being blown out. What do you guys think the chances are that CPR might rerun them in the next few years?

#1307 7 years ago

I was going to go with led's but I guess they stay on unless something is done. I just want to make sure that all the correct bulbs are in there since I have a few games and 63 and 1251 bulbs look the same.

#1308 7 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

Hey guys,
I have wanted a Space Shuttle for a while and while I really love the 3k one currently for sale in Tampa it's just a little outta my price range. My question is I have an opportunity to buy a pretty nice Space Shuttle except for the Playfield being blown out. What do you guys think the chances are that CPR might rerun them in the next few years?

Probably never.

#1309 7 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

What do you guys think the chances are that CPR might rerun them in the next few years?

I wouldn't hold your breath. It seems re-runs don't happen very often (if at all).

#1310 7 years ago

Yep, and its a shame too. Soo many Space Shuttles with trashed playfields still out there.

#1311 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Yep, and its a shame too. Soo many Space Shuttles with trashed playfields still out there.

Yes it is a shame, but there just aren't enough people out there that will spend $750-$800 for a game that's worth $1400 tops and for sure not many of us would go balls out like Beatmaster did. His is the nicest SS on the planet.

#1312 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes it is a shame, but there just aren't enough people out there that will spend $750-$800 for a game that's worth $1400 tops and for sure not many of us would go balls out like Beatmaster did. His is the nicest SS on the planet.

True and True.

#1313 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Will be joining the club this evening. Looking forward to digging into the repair and cleanup.

Got any pics yet?

#1314 7 years ago

I've got an interesting problem I'm diagnosing. I picked up this SS a while back, but as I have gotten more educated on the game, I'm noticing that some of the computer controlled lights aren't acting correcting:

Above, the is the green 2X to 7X lights. These were some not-so-great LEDs that I thought were causing my problem, so I dropped some incandescent bulbs back in. You can see the 4X doesn't light (bulb is good, diode is good, and socket is reading correctly) and 7X has an odd pattern.

Could there be something wrong back with the MPU board that drives these lights? Anything I should look over for or bench test?

I've also noticed my 4 X 3 grid also doesn't fire lights at the specific time (spelling S-P-A-C-E-S-H-U-T-T-L-E doesn't really work). Perhaps, this is all related?

#1315 7 years ago

Hey guys, I need help! I'm dealing with a switch not triggering in the trough. I have a thread with pics here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-trough-microswitch-issue

The switch itself is responsive and works perfectly as far as I can tell. I think my issue is with the rollover wire but I'm not sure.

#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

I've got an interesting problem I'm diagnosing. I picked up this SS a while back, but as I have gotten more educated on the game, I'm noticing that some of the computer controlled lights aren't acting correcting:
» YouTube video
Above, the is the green 2X to 7X lights. These were some not-so-great LEDs that I thought were causing my problem, so I dropped some incandescent bulbs back in. You can see the 4X doesn't light (bulb is good, diode is good, and socket is reading correctly) and 7X has an odd pattern.
Could there be something wrong back with the MPU board that drives these lights? Anything I should look over for or bench test?
I've also noticed my 4 X 3 grid also doesn't fire lights at the specific time (spelling S-P-A-C-E-S-H-U-T-T-L-E doesn't really work). Perhaps, this is all related?

Check the lighting matrix and see if there is a pattern if more than one light is out. Also, check plugs and connectors to see if you have any burned socket or loose pins. I had to replace a driver transistor as well as a socket and pins on the MPU.

1 week later
#1317 7 years ago

Ok guys I got the trough issue fixed and the game is playing but it's doing something odd during game play.

There are times following a ball being locked that the game kicks out two ball instead of one in rapid succession.

From what I can tell, it only occurs when the ball is locked in the right lock scoop.

If the ball is locked with the center 'T' target in the down position, a second ball is kicked out. I this 'T' target is up, there is no double kick out. But, the next time that the center target is dropped down during gameplay, it registers as a ball having been locked and the 3rd ball is kicked into the shooter lane.

It seems to me the problem is related to the this center T drop target and the right lock scoop.

None of this is happening when the first ball is locked on the left side of the table.

#1318 7 years ago

OK, so an update on my issue. Using the Siegecraft lamp matrix tester, i found that both column 1 and row 4 are out. Video below:

HOWEVER, what I did is wire my Siegecraft harness BACKWARDS for columns, thus my column 9 was out, and not my column 1.

D'oh!

Lamps (resized).JPGLamps (resized).JPG

After tracing column 9 I found that the trace from the pin to the TIP42 was broken. Easy fix to such a self-inflicted error!

#1319 7 years ago

Hang tight guys.. for Playfield options. Announcements could come within 60 days for a new and unique product to cure your playfield blues!

#1320 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hang tight guys.. for Playfield options. Announcements could come within 60 days for a new and unique product to cure your playfield blues!

Interesting.....but there's nothing wrong with the blues on my pf.

#1321 7 years ago

i have a cpr but curious to see what it is.

#1322 7 years ago

We are beta testing now, and after we confirm the results and finish performance testing we will be ready to disclose our playfield solution. This will be a product that has never been available, and Space Shuttle is just the first title we are starting with. Stay tuned!

#1323 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

This will be a product that has never been available

This should be interesting.

#1324 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

This will be a product that has never been available, and Space Shuttle is just the first title we are starting with. Stay tuned!

I heard a great idea in the Lexan playfield protector thread... Print the playfield art on the underside of the .5 mm plastic playfield protector, then just drop in a new playfield art without messing with swapping parts, painting, or clear coating.

Not a bad option for a players machine thats playfield is beaten to a pulp.

#1325 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

We are beta testing now, and after we confirm the results and finish performance testing we will be ready to disclose our playfield solution. This will be a product that has never been available, and Space Shuttle is just the first title we are starting with. Stay tuned!

I'm new to this hobby (less than a year), and I recently stumbled across some thread where some guy overseas is being sued by some american company for reproducing graphics and stuff without the proper licensing. And from what I recall in that thread there is like one guy in the US who owns most of the patents or copyrights for most of the games in the 80s and 90s and everything has to go through him. Are you exempt? Or did you already get his approval? Sorry just confused on the whole copyright BS involving pinball.

#1326 7 years ago

Yes sir. I am working under license with PPS (and Gottlieb). We have produced pinball reproduction parts for years. Most have never heard of us because we are not an end user facing company. We only deal with license owners of the I.P.. We have produced well over 100 projects, including back glasses, plastic sets and cabinet art.

I do not post often, but our new product just may help lots of folks with titles that may never see a play field reproduced... or in this instance not "more" fields reproduced for a very long time. Descriptions above a close, only there are even better details that we hope will excite folks who need the parts! We have selected one collector already to be an "outside", non bias evaluator/beta test who needs a SS playfield. He will be remarking in January about the product and his experience with installation.

FYI...
We have just finished (and shipping in a week or so) 100 Space Shuttle backglasses for PPS. They are spot on from the originals. I am guessing in late Jan. they will be available. (please note that we do not retail them... we just make them).

#1327 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

We have just finished (and shipping in a week or so) 100 Space Shuttle backglasses for PPS. They are spot on from the originals. I am guessing in late Jan. they will be available. (please note that we do not retail them... we just make them).

Of course news of this comes after I just spent a boat load of cash on an Ed Cheung translight. Smh

1 week later
#1328 7 years ago

How do you light the inlanes? And what does "Spot Shuttle" do?
Does it just change the Shuttle Value?

#1329 7 years ago

Question: does anyone know where you can get a replacement black ramp? It looks like all the places I've searched online at out of stock.

Also, trying to source replacement hotdog inserts as well, can't seem to find them anywhere.

#1330 7 years ago

Not to continue to clutter this thread up, but I am currently testing a new playfield prototype product. You can watch my progress at this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-new-prototype-playfield-product

#1331 7 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

How do you light the inlanes? And what does "Spot Shuttle" do?
Does it just change the Shuttle Value?

Get bonus multiplier (via U-S-A lanes) up to 4x, and that will light the inlanes. Roll into the inlane, and "Spot Shuttle" will light the next SHUTTLE letter for you without having to hit its target.

#1332 7 years ago

Just added to my astronaut autograph collection on my plastics; met retired astronaut Mike Massimino today. (You may recognize him from his guest appearances on The Big Bang Theory. He flew on the space shuttle on two Hubble repair missions.)

20170110_111844 (resized).jpg20170110_111844 (resized).jpg

20170110_112244 (resized).jpg20170110_112244 (resized).jpg

20170110_112244 (resized).jpg20170110_112244 (resized).jpg

#1333 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Get bonus multiplier (via U-S-A lanes) up to 4x, and that will light the inlanes. Roll into the inlane, and "Spot Shuttle" will light the next SHUTTLE letter for you without having to hit its target.

thanks!

1 week later
#1334 7 years ago

I'm troubleshooting a lamp matrix problem and need help. Column 5 is out, I know which transistor needs replaced but I want to make sure the column is not shorted somewhere on the playfield before plugging the mpu in after repair. I'm unsure of the location of some of the lights in that column. Referring to the lamp matrix, I know where #'s 33-37 are located, but I'm not sure where 38,39,40 are found.

Thanks

IMG_0231 (resized).PNGIMG_0231 (resized).PNG

#1335 7 years ago

They are behind the backglass, on what is sometimes referred to as the backbox "insert board".

#1336 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

They are behind the backglass, on what is sometimes referred to as the backbox "insert board".

That is what I thought, thanks for confirming. Located every lamp and I believe I fixed the problem. Thank you.

#1338 7 years ago

Has anyone here gotten the new V2 backglass? I'm curious to hear some feedback about it, especially since the one that was done a little while back got a ton of heat for all the "extra" blue. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy people are making these, but for a game like this, I love the original one, and want one that is as close to that as possible....which may just mean waiting to get a really nice used one. Not to mention, the one I have isn't horrible, which makes it even harder to justify spending money if it isn't 100% what I would like

#1339 7 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Has anyone here gotten the new V2 backglass? I'm curious to hear some feedback about it, especially since the one that was done a little while back got a ton of heat for all the "extra" blue. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy people are making these, but for a game like this, I love the original one, and want one that is as close to that as possible....which may just mean waiting to get a really nice used one. Not to mention, the one I have isn't horrible, which makes it even harder to justify spending money if it isn't 100% what I would like

Looks like it just came out so I don't think anyone has had a chance to get one yet.

#1340 7 years ago

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the blue repop. I leave it in for awhile and then switch back to my nice original for awhile. Of coarse blue is my favourite color

#1341 7 years ago

Can someone provide me with photos of the inside of the coin door? Mainly how the coin mechs are secured? I only see the one latch, but the coin mechs are swinging over on the bottom and causing a jam. Thanks

#1342 7 years ago

A few coin door pics futurepinhead

IMG_0045 (resized).JPGIMG_0045 (resized).JPG

IMG_0046 (resized).JPGIMG_0046 (resized).JPG

IMG_0047 (resized).JPGIMG_0047 (resized).JPG

#1343 7 years ago

Could someone do me a favor and check to see the lamp sock on the 4000 spinner is a 2 lead or 3 lead socket? I have a suspicion someone used a 2 lead socket that is causing me a problem.

Also, could someone take a picture to show how the 1000, 2000, and 4000 spinners are connected to each other. Another suspicion that this wasn't done correctly.

#1344 7 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

A few coin door pics futurepinhead

That's exactly how mine looks but it seems to have a lot of swing on the bottom side of it that causes bad jams. I'll have to dig deeper.

Thanks so much for the pics.

#1345 7 years ago

I'm just ordering new coin mechs that are a little more stout. 30+ years old, these mechs are ready for retirement.

#1346 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Interesting.....but there's nothing wrong with the blues on my pf.

well there's something wrong with the blues on the CPR SS plastic sets! They don't match my originals at all!

#1347 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

well there's something wrong with the blues on the CPR SS plastic sets! They don't match my originals at all!

i agree, the plastic set from cpr doesn't match and they are easy to scratch.

#1348 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Yeah those are terrible.

#1349 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Could someone do me a favor and check to see the lamp sock on the 4000 spinner is a 2 lead or 3 lead socket? I have a suspicion someone used a 2 lead socket that is causing me a problem.
Also, could someone take a picture to show how the 1000, 2000, and 4000 spinners are connected to each other. Another suspicion that this wasn't done correctly.

Comment - looks like this got lost in the sauce. Do you still need this? If so I will get you this info tonight when I get home from work, around 7pm.

#1350 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Comment - looks like this got lost in the sauce. Do you still need this? If so I will get you this info tonight when I get home from work, around 7pm.

Yes please, thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,496 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/27?hl=dr_spidey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.