(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 90.
#1251 7 years ago

Nice, thanks! Does that little control board replace an old board, or is it new and inline....?

#1252 7 years ago

A friend of mine has just joined this club (decent game except for some significant missing paint from a bad mylar pull), but the credit/match display is cracked and non-functional (hard to trouble-shoot the game!). Anyone happen to have one around? He may end up with one of the replacement systems I guess, failing that, since he also suspects that one of the score displays might be bad as well. Thanks...

#1253 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Nice, thanks! Does that little control board replace an old board, or is it new and inline....?

It's complete. Plug and play. You replace the existing controller board as well. Uses existing ribbon cables. I also removed the high voltage fuse. I didn't think the edge board connectors/plugs seated as well as they should but I've never had issues. It comes to mind the SSh used 2 different control boards so you may have to verify that.

#1254 7 years ago

I'll look into this, thanks!

#1255 7 years ago

Were you able to choose color? I would love to have this in blue

#1256 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Were you able to choose color? I would love to have this in blue

I believe orange is all that is available from Rotton Dog. I contemplated blue, but I wasn't sure. Orange kind of complements the Shuttle flame, and the blue from xpin was another $100 and out of stock.

#1257 7 years ago

Hi everyone! I picked up a really nice Space Shuttle yesterday! The machine was tough on the move and even tougher to get in the basement. Here are some pictures!

I have a couple of issues that I am hoping people could shed some light on as I delve into this machine:

1. The machine was LED'ed. But it seems that some LEDs (in U,S,A lanes) have some weird flickering issues. I know that sometimes LEDs do strange things in machines. Is this once of the cases?

2. Weak pop bumpers. Anything to look out for specifically in this machine?

3. So, before the machine is started, the flipper coils are energized and work. This seems not right, but I was hoping someone had a starting point to look at for this.

4. Lane change on U,S,A from flippers not working. Is this part of the EOS switch having issues?

I'll be diving more into it soon, but wonder if people had any good starting points! Thanks!

20160909_152913 (resized).jpg20160909_152913 (resized).jpg

20160909_202538 (resized).jpg20160909_202538 (resized).jpg

#1258 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Hi everyone! I picked up a really nice Space Shuttle yesterday! The machine was tough on the move and even tougher to get in the basement. Here are some pictures!
I have a couple of issues that I am hoping people could shed some light on as I delve into this machine:
1. The machine was LED'ed. But it seems that some LEDs (in U,S,A lanes) have some weird flickering issues. I know that sometimes LEDs do strange things in machines. Is this once of the cases?
3. So, before the machine is started, the flipper coils are energized and work. This seems not right, but I was hoping someone had a starting point to look at for this.
4. Lane change on U,S,A from flippers not working. Is this part of the EOS switch having issues?
I'll be diving more into it soon, but wonder if people had any good starting points! Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase! I will chime in on #1 and #4.

1. 99% chance the flickering is because of the LEDS. There are threads around that show you how to fix that. I believe it involves clipping a certain or wire or something.

4. Only the right flipper controls USA. So focus on that area.

#1259 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

No, EOS and Lane Change are 2 different circuits. Go into Switch Test and see if you have Lane Change (or if any other switches are incorrect or missing altogether )

Quoted from comment23:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

Quoted from comment23:

Your flipper relay is stuck on. Could be relay itself, drive transistor (I believe it's Q86, but don't quote me), or the 7402 that drives the transistor......

#1260 7 years ago

Thanks fellas! I appreciate your comments!

#1261 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

If i recall when i put leds in my shuttle there was no need to cut grounds on any warming resistors. (machine is gone now so i cant look). Its possible that the leds in your machine may be low quality. Im pretty sure i just put in premium non ghoasting leds from cointaker and i was good to go but again, dont quote me on that.

#1262 7 years ago

Nice find! I hope to be getting one in a week or so!

#1263 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

99% chance the flickering is because of the LEDS.

Are they the old flat top ones or are they the smd type?

#1264 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Firstly, as djreddog said, only the right flipper controls the U-S-A position. Second, there's a diode on the EOS switch stackup for the right flipper (just compare to the left flipper EOS switches) -- if this diode comes loose (broken solder), this feature won't work. (I ran onto this on my machine.) So I'd recommend you be sure to check this too.

#1265 7 years ago

I. Never realized that the right flipper initiated a lane change in this game... Would someone be so awesome as to shoot a quick video showing what hitting the right flipper for the lane change actually does? Is there a ramp that moves? Some sort of fun that changes position?

If you could toss it on YouTube, and post a link, that would ROCK!

#1266 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Firstly, as djreddog said, only the right flipper controls the U-S-A position. Second, there's a diode on the EOS switch stackup for the right flipper (just compare to the left flipper EOS switches) -- if this diode comes loose (broken solder), this feature won't work. (I ran onto this on my machine.) So I'd recommend you be sure to check this too.

Found my issue. I have a whole switch matrix column out. Q12 doesn't look healthy so I'll be replacing it. It seems that it is a 2N3904. A 2N4401 should be an adequate replacement right?

#1267 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

I. Never realized that the right flipper initiated a lane change in this game... Would someone be so awesome as to shoot a quick video showing what hitting the right flipper for the lane change actually does? Is there a ramp that moves? Some sort of fun that changes position?
If you could toss it on YouTube, and post a link, that would ROCK!

It's not as fancy as you're making it sound, lol. Above the pop bumpers, there are the three rollover lanes, labeled U, S, and A. When the ball rolls through a lane, its corresponding letter lights up. When you light all three, the bonus multiplier increases and the U/S/A lights turn off again (so you can try to repeat the process). The "lane change" we're describing is simply changing which lane is lit (if you've already lit one or two of them). For example, if the ball rolls down the U lane, U lights up. Then maybe the pop bumper hits the ball back up the S lane, so S lights up. (Now U and S are lit.) Then maybe it looks like the ball will come back down the S lane again -- but it's already lit, so by hitting the right flipper button, you "move" the lights around so now U and A are lit instead, so when the ball rolls down the S lane, it completes the set of three lights and the bonus multiplier increases.

Simply put: you're just using the flipper button to change which rollover lane(s) are lit and which are not.

#1268 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

It's not as fancy as you're making it sound, lol. Above the pop bumpers, there are the three rollover lanes, labeled U, S, and A. When the ball rolls through a lane, its corresponding letter lights up. When you light all three, the bonus multiplier increases and the U/S/A lights turn off again (so you can try to repeat the process). The "lane change" we're describing is simply changing which lane is lit (if you've already lit one or two of them). For example, if the ball rolls down the U lane, U lights up. Then maybe the pop bumper hits the ball back up the S lane, so S lights up. (Now U and S are lit.) Then maybe it looks like the ball will come back down the S lane again -- but it's already lit, so by hitting the right flipper button, you "move" the lights around so now U and A are lit instead, so when the ball rolls down the S lane, it completes the set of three lights and the bonus multiplier increases.
Simply put: you're just using the flipper button to change which rollover lane(s) are lit and which are not.

Haha... Still cool, so I suppose the hydraulic fin that rose up from beneath the playfield and magnetically derailed the ball to a secondary lane was just wishful thinking...lol.

Thanks again for the info!

#1269 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Haha... Still cool, so I suppose the hydraulic fin that rose up from beneath the playfield and magnetically derailed the ball to a secondary lane was just wishful thinking...lol.
Thanks again for the info!

Cool idea ... I wonder if there are any pins out there with something sorta like that...?

#1270 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I still have my original after buying the CPR, light flaking at bottom in the black section

Do you still have this BackGlass available?

#1271 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

New to the group. I played SS as a kid and now that I'm a big kid I had to have it. Like most I'm in need of a PF and BackGlass. I know its a long shot but does anyone no someone selling a NOS or CPR PF and BackGlass???

Please let me know.

Thanks Everyone!!!

#1272 7 years ago

Welcome to the club. I have a CPR bg but I don't want to ship it. I thought CPR still had the bg.

#1273 7 years ago

I've checked the last month or so and haven't seen one.

1 week later
#1274 7 years ago
Quoted from blingsr1:

I've checked the last month or so and haven't seen one.

CPR at least has the plastics set for space shuttle

#1275 7 years ago

Hey, I just got a space shuttle in that I'm going to try and repair for a guy.

It turns on, everything appears to be working great. When you coin up and start a game, the ball doesn't get kicked to the shooter lane and nothing on the PF lights up, no flippers.

In test mode the flippers fire well, and the P1 display on the backbox reads 2535 2.

What is a good place to start? I put in new batteries but that's all I've done.

#1276 7 years ago

May be obvious but make sure there is 3 balls in the machine and the ball switches are working.

2 weeks later
#1277 7 years ago

Hey everybody! Just picked up my space shuttle that was stored for about 3 years by the previous owners. am getting a fault 2: u20 game rom 1 faulty. On powering up, the backbone lights are all that come on. Do I need to just purchase a new u20 game rom 1 or is there other things I need to check first? Thanks in advance.

#1278 7 years ago

Good place to start. You may want to pull the ROM(s) and clean the legs and re-seat them. If ordering a new rom I'd probably get both new.

#1279 7 years ago

Thanks.....local pinhead has a rom burner, set me up with a set that I'm picking up tomorrow at cactus jacks fall face off in okc! Will post pics up as I start putting this back together

#1280 7 years ago
Quoted from privation:

Thanks.....local pinhead has a rom burner, set me up with a set that I'm picking up tomorrow at cactus jacks fall face off in okc! Will post pics up as I start putting this back together

Look forward to your progress!

#1281 7 years ago
Quoted from blingsr1:

Hi Everyone,
New to the group. I played SS as a kid and now that I'm a big kid I had to have it. Like most I'm in need of a PF and BackGlass. I know its a long shot but does anyone no someone selling a NOS or CPR PF and BackGlass???
Please let me know.
Thanks Everyone!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sign-up-here-for-new-cpr-space-shuttle-playfield

#1282 7 years ago

Well!! I too am in need of a backglass. I completely shattered mine tonight so I now have nothing. It was a beautiful mint repro too. FML

#1283 7 years ago

There's a guy in Chicago selling a NOS Space Shuttle backglass: $350

https://www.facebook.com/scott.cook.1428

#1285 7 years ago

Haven't posted in this thread yet. Bought my SS from a guy who had it stored in a run down shed for years. Finally had a chance after buying it a year ago to work on it. Replaced power supply, new LED displays, capacitor replacement mod, and Ed Cheung repaired CPU and I am happy to say that game #21562 IS ALIVE once again!

I have to be another one to add to the great service by Ed Cheung. Sent him my board on a Monday and he had it fixed and back to me by that Sat. Very responsive. He also posted a YouTube video of my board working. He added the remote battery holder for me as well. I definitely recommend his service 100%. I'm not sure if it was his work or just luck on my part but his board work survived the dreaded black/white switch connection. Also found humor is his reply e-mail asking why there were leaves sitting under the chips. Hopefully, he's reading this, but THANK YOU ED!

Game is in rough shape cosmetically, but now that I know it works, I'll begin the tear down and cleaning. Just the few parts I've cleaned have cleaned up well.

Here's my current issue. My flippers do not work at all. Also, the USA rollovers are not registering. I'm going to assume that there is a reason for both. But everything else seems to be working just fine

#1286 7 years ago

check your fuses (everywhere) and switches (clean them up), all connectors, start with that.

#1287 7 years ago

What's the "dreaded black/white switch connection"? I've never heard of it.

#1288 7 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What's the "dreaded black/white switch connection"? I've never heard of it.

In Williams back boxes there are 2 connectors leading down to the playfield that have the same pattern connector. One is usually white and one is usually dyed black but not always. It's very important to not mix them up. ALWAYS check the wire colors on a machine you are not sure of. If you plug them in wrong and power up the machine it does nasty thing to the boards.

#1289 7 years ago

Thanks, Travish!

#1290 7 years ago

What is the capacitor replacement mod? Mine machine is working 100% except for the hot dog shaped lights...I had LED flashers in them and I think it cooked em. Any ideas where to look?

Quoted from Jason1413:

Haven't posted in this thread yet. Bought my SS from a guy who had it stored in a run down shed for years. Finally had a chance after buying it a year ago to work on it. Replaced power supply, new LED displays, capacitor replacement mod, and Ed Cheung repaired CPU and I am happy to say that game #21562 IS ALIVE once again!
I have to be another one to add to the great service by Ed Cheung. Sent him my board on a Monday and he had it fixed and back to me by that Sat. Very responsive. He also posted a YouTube video of my board working. He added the remote battery holder for me as well. I definitely recommend his service 100%. I'm not sure if it was his work or just luck on my part but his board work survived the dreaded black/white switch connection. Also found humor is his reply e-mail asking why there were leaves sitting under the chips. Hopefully, he's reading this, but THANK YOU ED!
Game is in rough shape cosmetically, but now that I know it works, I'll begin the tear down and cleaning. Just the few parts I've cleaned have cleaned up well.
Here's my current issue. My flippers do not work at all. Also, the USA rollovers are not registering. I'm going to assume that there is a reason for both. But everything else seems to be working just fine

#1291 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

What is the capacitor replacement mod? Mine machine is working 100% except for the hot dog shaped lights...I had LED flashers in them and I think it cooked em. Any ideas where to look?

I'm unaware of a cap "mod" but i re-capped my power supply. The flashers are wired in series and the warming resistor needs cut if using LED's. I think there's a post somewhere on this thread. If I remember correctly it maybe a higher voltage circuit as well. I just left the incandescent bulb in as they are plenty bright. I also like the "analog" effect better in the backglass for the flame as opposed to the "digital" on/off.

#1292 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

What is the capacitor replacement mod?

I may not have the right wording, but this is what I was referring to.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fire-risk-warninginformation-sys-3-to-sys-11#post-3281784

#1293 7 years ago

Does anyone here have any functional plasma displays left over from upgrading to led displays? I am in need of two seven digit score displays and the credit/ball display for a project machine I just acquired.

#1294 7 years ago

All,

I am glad to join this group. Just picked up a project space shuttle over the weekend. The birds are in good shape, playfield has slight wear, and the backglass is perfect. All plastics were also in good shape - Ramp will need a little work. Cabinet is a little rough in places but that will be the last thing I address.

I have already stripped the playfield and need to rebuild the high voltage area of the power supply. It was reading 60vDC and the displays flicker and go on and off. Don't know about the MPU yet but it is clean with no battery corrosion.

IMG_1856 (resized).JPGIMG_1856 (resized).JPG

IMG_1857 (resized).JPGIMG_1857 (resized).JPG

IMG_1858 (resized).JPGIMG_1858 (resized).JPG

#1295 7 years ago

Ok that's just replaces the bridges and added fuses. You can also add fuses and holders to the existing bridges, that's what I'm doing. That is a nice clean set up though.

#1296 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

All,
I am glad to join this group. Just picked up a project space shuttle over the weekend. The birds are in good shape, playfield has slight wear, and the backglass is perfect. All plastics were also in good shape - Ramp will need a little work. Cabinet is a little rough in places but that will be the last thing I address.
I have already stripped the playfield and need to rebuild the high voltage area of the power supply. It was reading 60vDC and the displays flicker and go on and off. Don't know about the MPU yet but it is clean with no battery corrosion.

Welcome to the club. Always room for one more. It looks pretty good.

2 weeks later
#1297 7 years ago

Will be joining the club this evening. Looking forward to digging into the repair and cleanup.

#1298 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Will be joining the club this evening. Looking forward to digging into the repair and cleanup.

Another new member. Welcome aboard the Shuttle. I hope it's in good shape.

#1299 7 years ago

Just joined. I have owned SS twice before, over the last 20 years. I'm on my 3rd one, and this time, I'm keeping it. Added Cointaker's LED kit to it. Back glass is near perfect; cabinet is typical; play field is good, but does have a little bit of wear. It has the mylar on the play field. I remember when this game came out; I was at the arcade constantly playing it.

IMG_2064 (resized).JPGIMG_2064 (resized).JPG
IMG_2065 (resized).JPGIMG_2065 (resized).JPG
IMG_2059 (resized).JPGIMG_2059 (resized).JPG

#1300 7 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Just joined. I have owned SS twice before, over the last 20 years. I'm on my 3rd one, and this time, I'm keeping it. Added Cointaker's LED kit to it. Back glass is near perfect; cabinet is typical; play field is good, but does have a little bit of wear. It has the mylar on the play field. I remember when this game came out; I was at the arcade constantly playing it.

Welcome to the club. Wow this is your 3rd one. You have got to go through the past pages and see what Beatmaster did to his game, nicest one on the planet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.