(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 90.
#1201 7 years ago

Got my promo flyer in the mail yesterday, securely packed to be flat and crisp. Thank you Harvs!

#1202 7 years ago

Shout out to Andy, (SkyKing2301,) for the awesome upgrades to my space shuttle. An official patch and keychain that make a worlds difference! When they arrived in the mail I was so excited! My wife was laughing at me but this really transforms the pin.

Another shout out to 20eyes, (Mike,) for the new ramp protectors he created to hide the broken edges of my ramp! Woo hoo!

I also received my flyer in the mail from Harvs, thanks so much!

20160822_210441 (resized).jpg20160822_210441 (resized).jpg

20160822_210455 (resized).jpg20160822_210455 (resized).jpg

#1203 7 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Shout out to Andy, (SkyKing2301,) for the awesome upgrades to my space shuttle. An official patch and keychain that make a worlds difference! When they arrived in the mail I was so excited! My wife was laughing at me but this really transforms the pin.
Another shout out to 20eyes, (Mike,) for the new ramp protectors he created to hide the broken edges of my ramp! Woo hoo!
I also received my flyer in the mail from Harvs, thanks so much!

I got the patch too, Andy is a good dude.

#1204 7 years ago

Looks great guys !!!

#1205 7 years ago

same here, received my flyer from Harvs today. thank you very much for doing this.

#1206 7 years ago

Big shout out to Harvs as well.

Received my promo flyer today in perfect shape.

Cool piece of history to go with my soon-to-be restored SS.

Thanks again !

#1207 7 years ago

You're welcome! - Always cool to have a flyer to go with a machine. Enjoy!

#1208 7 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

You're welcome! - Always cool to have a flyer to go with a machine. Enjoy!

Dang any more of these? I missed out for my SS! Those key rings look awesome on the coin door

#1209 7 years ago

Got my flyer yesterday, thanks Harvs! Excellent protective packaging.

#1210 7 years ago

Anybody gotta old backglass laying around?? Dont have to be perfect??

#1211 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Anybody gotta old backglass laying around?? Dont have to be perfect??

I've tried twice to sell my old one. They either found another source, or changed their mind.

#1212 7 years ago

Anyone bringing one to CLE-PIN in two weeks?

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

Anyone bringing one to CLE-PIN in two weeks?

Stop over to the York show next month, my guess is that there will be one there.

#1214 7 years ago

I have some more of the patches & keychains if anyone else wants one (or both), just shoot me a PM.

#1215 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I have some more of the patches & keychains if anyone else wants one (or both), just shoot me a PM.

At the gift shop did they ask you why you were buying so many of these?

#1216 7 years ago

Hey guys ... I have a friend that has a space shuttle that has been sitting for 25 years.
I have seen the game and it looks complete. MPU will need work and game is dirty ( Full Mylar )
I was temped to pick it up but I really dont have the time so I told him I would put the word out.
PM me for his contact info .. Game is located in Charlotte area and wont be parted out. $700.00

#1217 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Hey guys ... I have a friend that has a space shuttle that has been sitting for 25 years.
I have seen the game and it looks complete. MPU will need work and game is dirty ( Full Mylar )
I was temped to pick it up but I really dont have the time so I told him I would put the word out.
PM me for his contact info .. Game is located in Charlotte area and wont be parted out. $700.00

if the game has a mylar good chance the playfield is in decent shape (better than most outhere), i'll say grab it if thats the case.

#1218 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

if the game has a mylar good chance the playfield is in decent shape (better than most outhere), i'll say grab it if thats the case.

Here is the only pic I have

IMG_20160817_192040168 (resized).jpgIMG_20160817_192040168 (resized).jpg

#1219 7 years ago

playfield under the mylar looks pretty damn good for this game.

#1220 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Now you have me temped to pick this up ... My wife is going to be soooooooo Pissed!!!!

#1221 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Bob, how many of the insert decals will come up with the mylar? use cold or heat to lift the mylar?

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Bob, how many of the insert decals will come up with the mylar? use cold or heat to lift the mylar?

good question. i'd probably go heat gun but than again freeze does a great job too. i'd have to see it first hand. try in a spot that doesn't show and see how it goes.

#1223 7 years ago

What about those ramps? ... I really need to go take another look at this game ... I thought he was going to keep it so I didn't put to much thought into it at the time.

#1224 7 years ago

Looks like it needs entrance flaps for sure.

#1225 7 years ago

Need some help here...Anyone have any idea why my flickering thruster lights would not work? Cannot seem to find what fuse would be used for just this feature. Cannot find any broken wires as well? Any help would be great!

#1226 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Definitely freeze it off. You'll have virtually no lifting but you will be left with a ton of adhesive. Get plenty of rubbing alcohol and baking flour!!

#1227 7 years ago
Quoted from dalispictures:

Need some help here...Anyone have any idea why my flickering thruster lights would not work? Cannot seem to find what fuse would be used for just this feature. Cannot find any broken wires as well? Any help would be great!

My thrusters don't blink in attract mode like they should, but they do during play which is odd.

#1228 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Just keep in mind that the mylar on the Space Shuttle is usually very thing compared to the mylar used on say system 11 machines and up. Its not easy to remove but it will come up. I removed it on my space shuttle using heat and went very slow.

#1229 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Just keep in mind that the mylar on the Space Shuttle is usually very thing compared to the mylar used on say system 11 machines and up. Its not easy to remove but it will come up. I removed it on my space shuttle using heat and went very slow.

How much mylar bubbling over the inserts did you have?

#1230 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How much mylar bubbling over the inserts did you have

Not much if any at all from what I remember.

#1231 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Not much if any at all from what I remember.

Ah you were lucky, if there's bubbling that glue has turned hard as a rock and is impossible to get off without taking the insert decal with it and probably some paint around the insert too. That's what happened to a BOP pf I have. The inserts really should be taken out, sanded flat and put back in.

#1232 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ah you were lucky, if there's bubbling that glue has turned hard as a rock and is impossible to get off without taking the insert decal with it and probably some paint around the insert too. That's what happened to a BOP pf I have. The inserts really should be taken out, sanded flat and put back in.

I did have a lot of playfield wear to begin with in areas where the mylar was worn away. (it's not like the thicker mylar in most machines) and I did remove all inserts for leveling and regluing before applying all new insert decals. Photos in past posts in this thread.

#1233 7 years ago

Yeah you did it right, remove the inserts and start from scratch. I also have a Space Station pf that needs that treatment too.

#1234 7 years ago

After cutting up my 1st key chain for the coin door I realized I should've ordered a 2nd for the keys again. If you do order the patch and keychain from SkyKing2301 don't make my mistake. It's really cool knowing that they are official and come from someone who was involved with the shuttle program. I missed it earlier in the thread but learned through corresponding with Andy that he was an Orbiter Structures Engineer on the space shuttle program (for United Space Alliance, NASA's prime contractor for processing the space shuttle) from 2003 - 2012 (missions STS-114 thru -135, and Transition & Retirement). My machine just got cooler! Thanks man!
20160830_215935 (resized).jpg20160830_215935 (resized).jpg

#1235 7 years ago

Has anybody experienced their Space Shuttle selecting the "Extra Ball" shuttle award more often on the 3rd ball when the player's score is low?

It seems like whenever I get a low score (<100,000) going into the 3rd ball, the game always selects "Extra Ball" as opposed to another award. I'm not saying I hate it (because I'm not too good at the game), but it seems like more than just a coincidence to me!

-Doug

#1236 7 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

After cutting up my 1st key chain for the coin door I realized I should've ordered a 2nd for the keys again. If you do order the patch and keychain from SkyKing2301 don't make my mistake. It's really cool knowing that they are official and come from someone who was involved with the shuttle program. I missed it earlier in the thread but learned through corresponding with Andy that he was an Orbiter Structures Engineer on the space shuttle program (for United Space Alliance, NASA's prime contractor for processing the space shuttle) from 2003 - 2012 (missions STS-114 thru -135, and Transition & Retirement). My machine just got cooler! Thanks man!

It looks like you got another one. Andy has more smarts in his pinky finger then I have in my whole body. I'd LOVE to see how he could shoot down the clown on FB that say the Shuttle was fake and that all of our rocket launches have gone in the drink. "Look how the smoke trail curves till it disapeares into the sea so see it never went up, it crashed into the sea". These damn people are dumber then mud. Another good one is "the Shuttle is fake because look how skinny the metal is that holds the nose to the rocket, that's not strong enough to hold it to the rocket".

#1237 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Shuttle is notoriously hard to get the Mylar up from.

There are different brands of Mylar that were used back then, so YMMV drastically.

Heat is generally better than freeze in that era because there is no clearcoat.

If your Mylar is not bubbling, then you might be well advised to leave it.

#1238 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

What about those ramps? ... I really need to go take another look at this game ... I thought he was going to keep it so I didn't put to much thought into it at the time.

The factory ramp flaps looked like that on both Shuttle and Comet.

If your not worried about being authentic, the game will play smoother with new style spring metal flaps.

The thing to really look at is the printing above the USA inserts at the top of the playfield.

The only negative I see is that the inserts in the center are the less desirable 6 circle inserts, rather than the 2 hotdog inserts.

#1239 7 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

It's really cool knowing that they are official and come from someone who was involved with the shuttle program. I missed it earlier in the thread but learned through corresponding with Andy that he was an Orbiter Structures Engineer on the space shuttle program (for United Space Alliance, NASA's prime contractor for processing the space shuttle) from 2003 - 2012 (missions STS-114 thru -135, and Transition & Retirement). My machine just got cooler! Thanks man!

Quoted from MustangPaul:

It looks like you got another one. Andy has more smarts in his pinky finger then I have in my whole body. I'd LOVE to see how he could shoot down the clown on FB that say the Shuttle was fake and that all of our rocket launches have gone in the drink. "Look how the smoke trail curves till it disapeares into the sea so see it never went up, it crashed into the sea". These damn people are dumber then mud. Another good one is "the Shuttle is fake because look how skinny the metal is that holds the nose to the rocket, that's not strong enough to hold it to the rocket".

Thanks guys. Of course, being in Structures means that I'm no sparky, which is why I still have so much to learn about reading these electrical / electronic schematics!

Wow, do people really say stuff like that...? Oy, super facepalm...

Of course, if anyone wants to get up close and personal, the three space-flown orbiters are on display now so I definitely recommend checking them out. I'm biased, but the setup and corresponding informational displays we have for Atlantis down here in FL are amazing. You physically get really close to her so you can see all the amazing detail -- plus if you contact me ahead of time and if I'm available, I'll go with you to give you the structures engineer's tour, with better detail on the vehicle and her parts/components.

6fc749d1bcb04f9a0419c1684dfc98be_pz2e_iirb (resized).png6fc749d1bcb04f9a0419c1684dfc98be_pz2e_iirb (resized).png

#1240 7 years ago

Oh man Andy the stuff I've read on FB about space, the flat earth, the hollow earth, niburu, our satilites are really balloons at 50,000ft, it would just curl your hair, these people would be right at home in the 12th century and so much of it the way they look at the writings of the Bible.

I would take you up on your offer in a second if I ever get down there. Oh just to touch it....I think I would cry.

Have you seen any of the tiles from a shuttle for sale on ebay, are the legit?

#1241 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Have you seen any of the tiles from a shuttle for sale on ebay, are the legit?

It depends how they were originally excessed. Usually the small "souvenir" style pieces are typically kosher. A few years back, some folks in my town got busted for taking scrap tiles and trying to sell them. No, no, no! Trash or not, still government property...

#1242 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

It depends how they were originally excessed. Usually the small "souvenir" style pieces are typically kosher. A few years back, some folks in my town got busted for taking scrap tiles and trying to sell them. No, no, no! Trash or not, still government property...

I see.

#1243 7 years ago

I hope to be joining all of your on this epic mission soon... I have the chance to get a SPACE SHUTTLE for $1,000 (or less), the only issue is that the player 3 and 4 displays are out...

I've been looking around for LED replacements at xpin, bit, they always seem to route me to the wrong part...

Can't wait!

#1244 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

I hope to be joining all of your on this epic mission soon... I have the chance to get a SPACE SHUTTLE for $1,000 (or less), the only issue is that the player 3 and 4 displays are out...

If its in decent shape thats a steal. Post pics if you get it !

#1245 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

I've been looking around for LED replacements at xpin, bit, they always seem to route me to the wrong part...
Can't wait!

If it's in good shape and everything works (minus the 2 displays) it's a good price. Is there anyway you could swap the 2 working and nonworking displays to test them before you buy? How bad is the mylar bubbling over the inserts?

#1246 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Can't wait!

Displays not working could be as simple as dirty/corroded connectors or reseating them.
Great price & welcome to the club.

How's the playfield & backglsss?

#1247 7 years ago

Thanks guys... I'll know more details and take pics this weekend to answer all of your questions!

#1248 7 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Thanks guys... I'll know more details and take pics this weekend to answer all of your questions!

OK.

#1249 7 years ago

I found the exact replacement kit...

http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-wms8363/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.