(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 90.
#1101 8 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Thanks for asking that rhetorical question, because it never crossed my mind and it appears that also got shafted and have some problems ahead of me.
Turns out that I did purchase Classic Arcades ones via eBay a long time ago and yes, now realise I have the wider back box version machine.
After reading your SS restoration thread and double checking the BB stencils first, even if I had a slim BB, those border lines are way, way off! That’s just terrible and they still list them on ebay which you can clearly see the alignment error in the description photos.
20160320_111822_(resized).jpg
Looks like I have lots of cutting ahead of me centralising the spaceman/logo and doing my own consistent border lines.
Any heads up on cabinet alignment issues I’m about too soon discover would be great?
Out of interest, are the Twisted Pins ones made for the wider BB? I’m guessing the Marco ones are just re-selling Twisted Pins?
Thanks again,
Paul.

yeah i knew it the minute i saw the stencil.
i too got the stencil long before i did the restoration.

make sure they are perfectly aligned, there is no bleeding at all.
if my memory is right, there is also a problem with the spaceman that doesn't aligned or missing.

the best way is to cut the stencil in pieces (backbox) and use masking tape or frisket to cover the missing part.

good luck with this, take your time and double check before you spray anything.

2 weeks later
#1102 8 years ago

Just wondering, what is the going rate for a pretty nice original Space Shuttle with minimal playfield wear?

#1103 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Just wondering, what is the going rate for a pretty nice original Space Shuttle with minimal playfield wear?

I'd say bare minimum $1000, you could pay a much as $1600 (non-CPR)

#1104 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Well in Canada they are almost impossible to find nowadays so they are going up in price. I bought a beat one and restored it somewhat (look at earlier posts in this thread to see mine) bad shape for $500.00 and after the restore i sold it for around $1800.00 . The guy tried to flip it about 8 mnths later for $3500.00 which is insane !!!! and from what i hear got about $2500.00 for it . He tried to sell it off like he did the work but thats another story. Long story short, i would guess a decent SS is going for about $2000.00 Canadian right now and maybe a lot more because you guys are buying up all the stock here due the the exchange and we dont have much for sale here at the moment but probably around $1500.00 american i would guess.

#1105 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'd say bare minimum $1000, you could pay a much as $1600 (non-CPR)

I honestly believe these days are gone ! Sad but true !

#1106 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'd say bare minimum $1000

This i mean.

#1107 8 years ago

Hello Space Shuttle fans. Anyone have a decent back glass for sale?

#1108 8 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

Hello Space Shuttle fans. Anyone have a decent back glass for sale?

I still have my original after buying the CPR, light flaking at bottom in the black section

#1109 8 years ago

If you are interested in selling, you can PM me with details. Thanks.

#1110 8 years ago

Anyone here have use for these??

IMG_20160412_223656.jpgIMG_20160412_223656.jpg

#1111 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Anyone here have use for these??

IMG_20160412_223656.jpg

Are those stickers or waterslide material?

#1112 8 years ago

PM sent.

1 week later
#1113 7 years ago

I just posted an ad with plenty of Space Shuttle parts for sale from a game that I am parting out. I have cabinet, boards, plastics, etc....

3 weeks later
#1114 7 years ago

Hey club,
My Dad has had a Space Shuttle since I was a kid, it is the machine that got me started in pinball. Whenever I go home to visit I try to knock out a project on the machine. Last fall it was new rubbers and I received some kind help from the club with that project.

Next month I am going to be back visiting and I was thinking of doing LEDs and an LEDOCD board. I will need to preorder the bulbs so they are ready to go when I get there. Is the lamp list in the manual complete enough to use as my shopping list? What about the back box? Has anyone done LEDOCD in there space shuttle? It was an awesome addition to my PotC.

#1115 7 years ago

Is there a way to replace the bulb underneath the ramp without disassembling the ramp? Most all my system 11 games I can get to bulb replacement underneath the Playfield but it looks like those lights are hard-wired and can't be on screwed please confirm

#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Is the lamp list in the manual complete enough to use as my shopping list? What about the back box? Has anyone done LEDOCD in there space shuttle? It was an awesome addition to my PotC.

I don't know about the specifics of the lamp list, but as far as quantity and type goes, it should be pretty accurate. A few things to keep in mind:

- You can do Space Shuttle with about 150 bulbs. Almost 100 of them will be white / GI.

- Color match your inserts. This is where building a checklist (x Orange, x Green, x red, etc) will come into play.

- If you want to customize the game by changing the color of white inserts, you can: a lot of folks like to change the colors of the drop target lane, which can look pretty sweet.

- Remember the flashers are a different bulb (67 or 89, I can't recall which). But if you use LEDs for those you have to cut the resistors in that circuit. Personally, incandescent flashers are cheap enough and illuminated infrequently, I continue to use them there. Simple, no mods to reverse.

- Don't color-ize the GI at first. This is a very subjective matter and what looks good to one person looks horrible to the next. Remember that backglasses, plastics, and even the playfield were painted with the intent to be illuminated by (warm incandescent) white. You can't go wrong by sticking with what was intended. But maybe get a few spare color bulbs and try highlighting an area or two. Look around the thread, see what you like, see what your dad likes...

- Also remember that you can get three different color tones of white: cool, warm, and natural. Cool works best for space themes and blueish areas, warm works best for earth and red/yellow areas, and natural can be good for really intricate details. Mixing them can really add some subtle depth and highlights without turning into clown puke.

- LEDs vary in brightness. I used comet frosted 1smd 5050 bulbs throughout my Shuttle and like the look, but it's right on the edge of "too bright" IMHO.

- As for LED OCD: it can help if your converted game has ghosting and/or sequence timing issues. Not all games do. My Shuttle did not but I tried the LED OCD anyway just to get that "slow fade" back... and don't like it since it adversely affects the attract "spellout" sequence and no amount of tweaking I've done has been able to restore the specific flashing the base game does. I intend to put my LED OCD in another game that actually has a few ghosting issues.

Hope that helps...!

#1117 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Is there a way to replace the bulb underneath the ramp without disassembling the ramp? Most all my system 11 games I can get to bulb replacement underneath the Playfield but it looks like those lights are hard-wired and can't be on screwed please confirm

Not unless your good at cutting and resoldering.

#1118 7 years ago

Could someone post a pick of the back glass lights? I think between that and the manual I can make a shopping list.

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

No, but I just replaced mine with a slow color changing led because I always thought the light bleeding around the target looked cheap. I vastly prefer the subtle colored light that now illuminates and bleeds through around the target.

3 weeks later
#1120 7 years ago

Good morning fellow Space Shuttle owners! I joined this club about a month ago when I picked up a game from the Allentown Show. I really enjoy the game because this is one of the games that used to be at the local pizza restaurant I used to work at back in the late 80's. My first couple of weeks with the game was a blast, and then I hit a brick wall with the solenoid fuse (2.5 MDL Slow Blow) that keeps blowing randomly. I posted over in the tech section but the thread hasn't seen much action so I'm going to repost the info here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

As I mentioned the fuse blowing is completely random, below is a small recap.

I proceeded to play a game to see what would happen. I locked the ball in the right lock, then lost the ball. Played ball 2 for awhile and finally locked the ball in the left lock. On ball 3 I tried to hit the space shuttle ramp a few times but missed and then randomly the ball kicks out of the left ball lock and when that happened it blew the fuse and thus I lost the jet bumpers, slings, drop targets, etc. I'm out of fuses temporarily and didn't have time to run any other tests. That's all for now.

Another update(dates 6/6/16). I got some fuses in over the weekend and tonight I finally had a chance to tinker with the game. Initially I replaced the fuse and played a game to try and determine if something specific was causing the fuse blow and after 3 games and 3 blown fuses I couldn't find a pattern. It does seem to involve locked balls in some capacity but I have tried left lock only, right lock only, both balls locked, and the fuse has blown at various stages of the game. Moving on....

After 3 more blown fuses I finally did what KenH suggested in another thread and went to Page 12 and went through every diagnostics. Not one single error. After I went through the entire diagnostics tests, I then went back to the solenoid tests and let each solenoid go through about 25 tests before moving on to the next one. Zero issues. Finally I did the "Auto-Cycle" test, and let it run in that mode for about 10 minutes with no issues. Turned it off, back on and played game one, no issues as the game didn't last long. Played game 2, during ball 2 I locked ball #1 in the right lock lane, the game then announced "ball locked or whatever" and then the fuse blew as the game did not kick out ball 2 into the shooter lane. I then lifted the PF and felt all solenoids to see if any were hot or overheated and as far as I could tell they all felt fine.

I've probably blown about 12 fuses over the past 2 weeks troubleshooting and every time the fuse blows it's at a different point in the game. Once in the middle of the game both balls were locked and the pinball was just hitting targets and it died. Another time was both balls locked and I hit the ramp shot. Other times the ball has been in the jet bumpers.

#1121 7 years ago

Just throwing this out there but is it possible that some wires underneath the playfield are just barely not touching but with the vibration during the game they are randomly touching and shorting out. Might explain it.

#1122 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Just throwing this out there but is it possible that some wires underneath the playfield are just barely not touching but with the vibration during the game they are randomly touching and shorting out. Might explain it.

That's what I'm thinking also and it's always the same fuse.

#1123 7 years ago

I'm sure anything is possible at this point. I didn't go through the PF with a fine tooth comb, but I can definitely dig deeper. Could this be a random wire anywhere, or would it only be a wire that is linked to the solenoids that keep blowing?

#1124 7 years ago

sounds like a short, also check the transistors driving those coils.

#1126 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

sounds like a short, also check the transistors driving those coils.

Quoted from mof:

Time to make a fuse breaker
Mof

These 2 options are above my current pay grade. I'll have to wait for my buddy to stop over and have him show me. Thanks for the feedback!

#1127 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

These 2 options are above my current pay grade. I'll have to wait for my buddy to stop over and have him show me. Thanks for the feedback!

You need to study this thread. Easy to make and way cheaper than blowing tons of fuses for no reason.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-and-using-a-fuse-breaker

#1128 7 years ago

Anyone interested in a Space Shuttle? I started a play field swap and I'm about 90% done. Willing to sell complete if you finish the job. Has a perfect backglass and the new CPR play field. You just need to install the ramp and shuttle to finish off. PM if interested.

IMG_7040_(resized).JPGIMG_7040_(resized).JPG

#1129 7 years ago

Oh that's nice, if I didn't have the game I'd be hittin ya up. GLWS

#1130 7 years ago

They are always too far away. GL

#1131 7 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

They are always too far away. GL

300 miles closer to you then me. and with a new pf swapped too....just do it.

#1132 7 years ago

One more update for my fuse blowing issue. I went through every wire and connection on the PF tonight, while I didn't find a loose or broken wire I did find one odd spliced set of wires(see pic), although I don't think this has anything to do with the fuse blowing.

After checking over everything tonight I put in another fuse and started to play a game. I'm on ball 2 with zero balls locked, I shoot the 3 drop targets down, and for some odd reason a ball ejects into the shooter lane, although the fuse didn't blow. I drained both balls and played ball 3 with no problems. Game over. I then started another game, no balls locked, and out of nowhere the fuse blows (the ball was in the middle of the PF and did not hit any target/switch/bumper). That's all I got for now, pic attached of the strange splice.

Space_Shuttle_(resized).JPGSpace_Shuttle_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#1133 7 years ago

Final update as Space Shuttle has performed a successful liftoff. Fellow pinsider "WMSpin" stopped by tonight and helped me fix the issue. We ran through the normal solenoid/coil tests, switch tests, etc and everything checked out OK. We then started playing a game by manually moving the balls around and halfway through ball 1 the game "kicked" out ball 2, even though ball 1 didn't drain yet as we were manually rolling the ball over switches, and hitting targets. When the ball kicked out prematurely it blew the fuse. So we inserted another fuse, and started the process over, only this time we didn't use any balls but instead used our hands to activate every switch/target/etc. We did this with no issues, the only thing we hadn't activated at this point was the flippers. After using the flippers for about 30 seconds the fuse blew, and when it blew you could here a small sound like something was seizing up or locking up involving the flipper assembly. So we replaced the fuse one more time and narrowed it down to the left flipper. After lifting the PF and checking over the assembly, we noticed a wire connected to a diode was hanging loose. I soldered it back on and we are back in business. Now, my buddy is still clueless as to how/why this wire on the flipper assembly, which was independent of the fuse that controls the solenoids , was making the fuse blow. Attached is a picture of the issue.

IMG_8233_(resized).JPGIMG_8233_(resized).JPG

#1134 7 years ago

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement shuttle toy? My searching of the usual suspects has come up empty.

#1135 7 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement shuttle toy? My searching of the usual suspects has come up empty.

Starship Fantasy sells them:
http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Space-Shuttle-Ship

#1137 7 years ago

Woohoo, thrilled to finally join this club! I worked on the space shuttle program for nine years, so this pin was a must for me. Finally got one!

ssnight_(resized).jpgssnight_(resized).jpg

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I usually get all my stuff from either Marco or Pinball Life. I'm curious to know what you use for your "usual suspects".

#1139 7 years ago

Marco and PBL are the first two I check, then I dive deeper with Google as needed. I have found the shuttle on Marco since I posted, not sure how I missed it the first time.

#1140 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Woohoo, thrilled to finally join this club! I worked on the space shuttle program for nine years, so this pin was a must for me. Finally got one!

I was able to have our only NE astronaut sign my Shuttle. Do you have access to any shuttle astronauts?

IMG_20150725_175907_(resized).jpgIMG_20150725_175907_(resized).jpg

#1141 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I was able to have our only NE astronaut sign my Shuttle.

Sweet! Clayton's a nice guy, naturally. I supported a few of his missions.

Quoted from Jaeg:

Do you have access to any shuttle astronauts?

I certainly did, back in the day -- I'd meet the crews for each mission I was supporting; we'd give them a briefing when they came out for launch "dress rehearsal". Typically they'd hang out at a local bar with us either before and/or after the mission too as thanks for prepping the vehicle. Obviously, since we haven't been launching humans from Kennedy Space Center recently, they don't come around here much -- but some do, on occasion. I plan to acquire some autographs whenever I can, probably in silver on the plastics like Ed Cheung did.

#1142 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I certainly did, back in the day -- I'd meet the crews for each mission I was supporting; we'd give them a briefing when they came out for launch "dress rehearsal". Typically they'd hang out at a local bar with us either before and/or after the mission too as thanks for prepping the vehicle. Obviously, since we haven't been launching humans from Kennedy Space Center recently, they don't come around here much -- but some do, on occasion. I plan to acquire some autographs whenever I can, probably in silver on the plastics like Ed Cheung did.

Now that's cool.

#1143 7 years ago

It was practically begging for this quick patch mod, due to its perfect fit...

Before: Before NASA Patch ModBefore NASA Patch Mod

After: After NASA Patch ModAfter NASA Patch Mod

#1144 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

It was practically begging for this quick patch mod, due to its perfect fit...
Before:
After:

I LOVE that. Can you get any more? I'd like one for my game.

#1145 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sure can. How's $7 shipped? I can ship today and it'll even come postmarked from the Kennedy Space Center.

#1146 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'd be in for one too!! I like it

#1147 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Sure can. How's $7 shipped? I can ship today and it'll even come postmarked from the Kennedy Space Center.

Sounds great, pm me your PayPal info. Thanks

#1149 7 years ago

Thanks guys, Paul's went out today, sohchx's will go out tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.