(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 90.
#1001 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

dont worry , those capacitors just help with the sparking, you dont need them, did you check and make sure that the coil is real tight? if that coil is loose it will affect the flipper power

#1002 8 years ago

Has anyone upgraded the displays with the new xpin displays? I am having a hard time picking between original orange or blue, please help me decide, thanks!

#1003 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Has anyone upgraded the displays with the new xpin displays? I am having a hard time picking between original orange or blue, please help me decide, thanks!

Not me but I'd stick with the orange for the contrast, much easier to see at a glance.

#1004 8 years ago

The problem is, there are too many choices for Blackout that would look good! Red, green, blue, and orange are all present in the backglass, so any of those colors would work.

Ack, never mind, I was just reading Blackout thread and replied here thinking I was still on that thread.

#1005 8 years ago

i've been looking at those for a few years now, at the time it was pinscore, if i chose one, i'd go with blue.

#1006 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I have the Xpin orange and they look great.

#1007 8 years ago

Thank you all for your help, I am going with the orange

#1008 8 years ago

Mine had 3 dead original ones. I bought a set from a user here on pinside for $75. Work great! Look great!

#1009 8 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I bought a set from a user here on pinside for $75. Work great! Look great!

me

#1010 8 years ago

Indeed it was! Some people don't like the value posted after-the-fact which is why you were anonymous. BUT reporting that some time later, they're working great! Can you get me a playfield??

1 week later
#1011 8 years ago

Hey guys. I finally picked up a SS tonight!! The long six year search is finally over. A have questions as I have never seen one of these opened up before. I found a metal grate just hanging out over the two transformers, is that supposed to be there? Also, how about the two brackets that are at the back of the cabinets inside at the top? They just seem like they don't belong, but if they do what the heck are they for?? They have scratched up my plastic and part of my ramp both on the right side which is another reason why I don't think they belong there. To the right of the right bracket you can clearly see the scratches in the photo.

IMG_20151211_224833.jpgIMG_20151211_224833.jpg

IMG_20151211_220705.jpgIMG_20151211_220705.jpg

IMG_20151211_220658.jpgIMG_20151211_220658.jpg

#1012 8 years ago

yep the metal grill goes right over the 2 transformers but not touching them, of course. there should be a bracket holding the grill right over them.

the 2 brackets in the back of the playfield belongs there, you are missing the rubbers that goes in each hole, it will hold the playfield in place. the scratches on the plastic are mostly done because of that and the glass trims right on top of it.

#1013 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yep the metal grill goes right over the 2 Transformers but not touching them, of course. there should be a bracket holding the grill right over them.
the 2 brackets in the back of the playfield belongs there, you are missing the rubbers that goes in each hole, it will hold the playfield in place. the scratches on the plastic are mostly done because of that and the glass trims right on top of it.

Beatmaster!!! I have been following your restore since post #1. Your machine gave me the inspiration to completely restore mine. Thank you for that and the job that you have done so far, I can't even think of a word to describe that machine. I don't think that I could bring myself to play it afterwards. Anyway, the way that the metal grill was mounted is to a bracket on the right side that is attached to the transformer base, on the left side the grill is screwed into the side of the cabinet. Is that correct?? As for the brackets I did actually find one of the rubbers in the bottom of the cabinet. I haven't cleaned it out full yet but maybe I will find the other when I do.

#1014 8 years ago

Can someone please help me out with a photo of how yours is wired?? This thing is all hacked up. Thanks!!

IMG_20151217_213016.jpgIMG_20151217_213016.jpg

1 week later
#1015 8 years ago

I cant believe that the Space Shuttle plastics are now available on CPR website, it says that it is a re-run 2015, I just ordered a set, better get them while you can, merry Xmas to me and you, lol

#1016 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I cant believe that the Space Shuttle plastics are now available on CPR website, it says that it is a re-run 2015, I just ordered a set, better get them while you can, merry Xmas to me and you, lol

Good news.

#1017 8 years ago

i was going to but.....
i already have a new set in the game and already have a few scrates on the underside, paint/printing is already gone.
they are very easy to scratch from anything.

my suggestion, put a small piece of mylar/or similar on the area above a screw or anything that might scratch them.

#1018 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i was going to but.....
i already have a new set in the game and already have a few scrates on the underside, paint/printing is already gone.
they are very easy to scratch from anything.
my suggestion, put a small piece of mylar/or similar on the area above a screw or anything that might scratch them.

Thanks for the advice, I will surely do that, just have to be really careful lifting the playfield so you don't break the plastics, mine are in really bad shape so I am very excited to get a new set, now they just need to re-run the playfields and we will be all set

#1019 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

This made my day, thanks. Order placed.

#1020 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

... now they just need to re-run the playfields and we will be all set

and you could do something like this

485239_(resized).jpg485239_(resized).jpg

#1021 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

a small piece of mylar/or similar on the area above a screw or anything that might scratch them.

I use the lexan washers, raises the plastic up real nice.

1 week later
#1022 8 years ago

Anyone interested in splitting up a plastic set from CPR? I only want the part that wraps the ramp. The rest of mine are good enough that I cannot justify spending the full amount for the full set. Or....perhaps someone who is buying a full set might be willing to part with their old ramp cover?

#1023 8 years ago

Just joined the club last week. Playfield is gonna need some love as well as the backglass, plastics seem good as well as the cabinet. MPU shows a "7", so that will need some attention too. It also seems to be missing the bell. I haven't dove into it yet as I'm in the middle of a bathroom restoration. I bought it right and it will be a fun game when it's done. It will go good with my Blackout.

#1024 8 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

Just joined the club last week. Playfield is gonna need some love as well as the backglass, plastics seem good as well as the cabinet. MPU shows a "7", so that will need some attention too. It also seems to be missing the bell. I haven't dove into it yet as I'm in the middle of a bathroom restoration. I bought it right and it will be a fun game when it's done. It will go good with my Blackout.

Good to have you aboard.

#1025 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are a bitch to get back on.
Soap 'em up, squeeze them back on in a vise or a pair of Channellocks.

Like everyone else I struggled installing these big yellow bumpers as they are relatively hard rubber. I had to cut the old ones off, and soapy water is definitely required to install new ones. The post with the screw on top was the toughest because you can't angle it in like the other 3, so I drilled a hole in a block of wood to mount the post and smashed it on with a mallet. That block of wood provides nice leverage for the other 3 as well. Using pliers or a vice risks scratching them up.

#1026 8 years ago

Hey guys, just picked up count them, 2 Space Shuttle machines. One for only $100 and a parts game for $150 that had some very needed parts in it. I'm planning on doing a full resto on the game and going to send my playfield into John Greatwich.

I've made new aprons for High Speed and TOTAN in the past. Would there be any interest among the group for apron and shooter gauge reproductions with durable powdercoated undercoat and silk screened artwork?

#1027 8 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Hey guys, just picked up count them, 2 Space Shuttle machines. One for only $100 and a parts game for $150 that had some very needed parts in it. I'm planning on doing a full resto on the game and going to send my playfield into John Greatwich.
I've made new aprons for High Speed and TOTAN in the past. Would there be any interest among the group for apron and shooter gauge reproductions with durable powdercoated undercoat and silk screened artwork?

No kidding, what a deal. No need for my apron but I was wondering if you could modify my BOP apron, cut 2 triangular windows like the Avatar apron blue windows. The screw studs would have to be welded on the underside for the blue plastic windows that can be bought at Marco I believe. Then have it powder coated with just the W and the shooter cover screened like on a stock apron? I could drive it down some Sat. and visit too. And could do the same cutouts and plastics on my Batman Forever apron but no pc and printing?

#1028 8 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

2 Space Shuttle machines. One for only $100

Nice deal.

#1029 8 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Would there be any interest among the group for apron and shooter gauge reproductions with durable powdercoated undercoat and silk screened artwork?

I'd be in if its done in red, white, and blue like it should have been originally

#1030 8 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Do you have an extra bell? The one I picked up last week was missing the bell.

#1031 8 years ago

Hey guys, I got the new plastics in yesterday and they are really nice, it came with the topper but it does not have the feet to display it, has anyone made a holder for it ? I was thinking of lighting it up also, any ideas would be appreciated

#1032 8 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

Do you have an extra bell? The one I picked up last week was missing the bell.

I've got two bells, when I get home in a week I can see if they are both working well.

#1033 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

No kidding, what a deal. No need for my apron but I was wondering if you could modify my BOP apron, cut 2 triangular windows like the Avatar apron blue windows. The screw studs would have to be welded on the underside for the blue plastic windows that can be bought at Marco I believe. Then have it powder coated with just the W and the shooter cover screened like on a stock apron? I could drive it down some Sat. and visit too. And could do the same cutouts and plastics on my Batman Forever apron but no pc and printing?

Do you have an example of an Avatar apron? I've never modified an existing apron since I'd be worried about ruining the finish and do all my cuts before bending, but never say never I guess.

#1034 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I'd be in if its done in red, white, and blue like it should have been originally

That would be up to the decision of Rick at PPS. Since I have to work with the Williams license I need to typically work with they way things were originally. Again though, never say never.

#1035 8 years ago
Quoted from merfeldma:

Do you have an example of an Avatar apron? I've never modified an existing apron since I'd be worried about ruining the finish and do all my cuts before bending, but never say never I guess.

There's a good picture of one that's for sale in the Market Place. How do you cut them? Each of the cutouts would need 4 small bolts welded to the underside for mounting the colored plastics. Both aprons would need to be refinished of course, powder coat and paint for BOP or maybe chrome and I was thinking chroming for the Batman Forever apron. Are there any chrome shops down there? PM me if you need more info.

1 week later
#1036 8 years ago

Has anyone here come up with an exact match as far as paint color on the cabinet?

#1037 8 years ago

Something came in the mail yesterday.
Wait -- What's this?
Oh yes... only my favorite thing in pinball...
-mof

201601-SSH-enhanced-frames_(resized).jpg201601-SSH-enhanced-frames_(resized).jpg

#1038 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Something came in the mail yesterday.
Wait -- What's this?
Oh yes... only my favorite thing in pinball...
-mof

201601-SSH-enhanced-frames_(resized).jpg

i almost got those, if you can post a picture when installed that'd be nice.

#1039 8 years ago

Step 1: Remove frames/plastics
Step 2: Dremel off the Bells / Smooth out the top edges
Step 3: Polish bells on buffing wheel
Step 4: Wax bells
Step 5: Wax frames
Step 6: Wax playfield (DUH !)
Step 7: Buffing wheel screw heads
Step 8: Re-install
Step 9: Test ball travel with live play
Step 10: Post to Pinside

Took about 2 hours, and it's the best 2 hours spent in pinball (other than perhaps the acquisition). It's like putting new tires on your car, or adjusting the suspension. What a difference!

-mof

#1040 8 years ago

201601-SSH-enhanced-frames1_(resized).jpg201601-SSH-enhanced-frames1_(resized).jpg

201601-SSH-enhanced-frames2_(resized).jpg201601-SSH-enhanced-frames2_(resized).jpg

201601-SSH-enhanced-frames-finished_(resized).jpg201601-SSH-enhanced-frames-finished_(resized).jpg

#1041 8 years ago

Nice!! I have a pair of those frames on my Firepower

#1042 8 years ago

Are those guides somehow different from the stock pieces? If not, could you not get rid of ball hop by adjusting the positions of the originals relative to the flipper angle? Am I missing something here?

#1043 8 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Are those guides somehow different from the stock pieces? If not, could you not get rid of ball hop by adjusting the positions of the originals relative to the flipper angle? Am I missing something here?

The originals are usually so worn and peened over that you have to elongate the mounting holes to try and compensate.

#1044 8 years ago

so those are cliffy, can you share the link to this version, thanks.

#1045 8 years ago

Anyone know who this guy is? This video made me mega jealous to see all of those fields when I am in dire need of one.

Edit: Crap never mind. It's CPR when they were in production.

#1046 8 years ago

Can someone post pics of the underside of the ball gate in the right outlane, or assembly page from the manual if it is there? I'm missing parts but don't know which.

#1047 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Can someone post pics of the underside of the ball gate in the right outlane, or assembly page from the manual if it is there? I'm missing parts but don't know which.

I assume you mean the "air lock"? Vid1900 has an excellent guide here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-airlock-rebuilding-guide#post-1908265

#1048 8 years ago

Thank you, that's even more than I hoped for!

#1049 8 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a rubber ring sheet like the one pictured here that shows rubber placement on the playfield? I want to buy Titan rubbers for my machine, but don't want to buy a standard rubber set just to get this sheet. Thanks!!

rbkt-0213-1_(resized).jpgrbkt-0213-1_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.