(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,484 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,484 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 90.
#51 10 years ago

Hey Guys, Hopefully a Future SS owner here.

We are hoping to get a couple of nice Space Shuttles down here for the
http://southernfriedgameroomexpo.com - June 20-22 in Atlanta.

Barry Oursler is our special guest and we'll be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of this amazing game with its creator.

It will really help make the show special to have some great examples of this pin.
Please PM me if you will be able to help out.

thanks!

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Hi guys!
Wow, surprised to see how many Space Shuttles there are being fully refurbished out there! It really is a special game isn't it
I'm in the middle of my cabinet re-paint myself! Just put down the navy blue today. How long should I wait before putting the stencils on and doing the red? The last thing I want is the stencil pulling up the blue paint.

cabinet-blue-small.jpeg 126 KB

I would wait at least a week because those stencils are VERY sticky. The front of my HS turned out like crap cause the stencils fit so badly and were so sticky. I wish someone would make the hard stencils so you get the factory type stencil fit. Hope you have good luck with yours.

I've had my Shuttle for about 8 months, original cab, bg and pf, all in nice shape. Put leds in it, new legs, new plastics, led color changing light strips under it, made plex mirror side mirrors and a 200 watt powered sub. It's a keeper.

IMGA0333.JPGIMGA0333.JPG IMGA0337.JPGIMGA0337.JPG IMGA0338.JPGIMGA0338.JPG IMGA0340.JPGIMGA0340.JPG
#53 10 years ago

Does anyone have an instruction manual which is easier to read than the one linked on IPDB? It's hard to see the lettering on some pages even with zooming (I need page 18 especially).

#54 10 years ago

if anybody need new free play and instructions card.

i made those a few months ago.

Space Shuttle Free Play Card.jpgSpace Shuttle Free Play Card.jpg
Space Shuttle information Card 3.jpgSpace Shuttle information Card 3.jpg

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Jor0822:

Does anyone have an instruction manual which is easier to read than the one linked on IPDB?

Vid scanned an original, PM sent!

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i made those a few months ago.

Space Shuttle Free Play Card.jpg 242 KB

Space Shuttle information Card 3... 267 KB

I remember you doing those and others. Beautiful

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Vid scanned an original, PM sent!

Thanks buds, it was a big help.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Jor0822:

Does anyone have an instruction manual which is easier to read than the one linked on IPDB? It's hard to see the lettering on some pages even with zooming (I need page 18 especially).

I have sent the rescan twice to IPDB and they never have put the better one up .

Nor have they put up the correct rubber ring guide I've sent.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

Hey Guys, Hopefully a Future SS owner here.
We are hoping to get a couple of nice Space Shuttles down here for the
http://southernfriedgameroomexpo.com - June 20-22 in Atlanta.
Barry Oursler is our special guest and we'll be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of this amazing game with its creator.
It will really help make the show special to have some great examples of this pin.
Please PM me if you will be able to help out.
thanks!

Out of curiosity, are you running the event, or simply going?

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I would wait at least a week because those stencils are VERY sticky. The front of my HS turned out like crap cause the stencils fit so badly and were so sticky. I wish someone would make the hard stencils so you get the factory type stencil fit. Hope you have good luck with yours.
I've had my Shuttle for about 8 months, original cab, bg and pf, all in nice shape. Put leds in it, new legs, new plastics, led color changing light strips under it, made plex mirror side mirrors and a 200 watt powered sub. It's a keeper.

nice touch on the use of red, white, and blue/purple (wasn't sure which it was in the pics) LEDs on the lower PF inserts!

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i made those a few months

Those are awesome! Nice work!

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

nice touch on the use of red, white, and blue/purple (wasn't sure which it was in the pics) LEDs on the lower PF inserts!

LED comparison vs. standard vs. RWB.

(Well.....I'll edit it in when image upload is fixed...again... /sigh)

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

I'm in the middle of my cabinet re-paint myself! Just put down the navy blue today. How long should I wait before putting the stencils on and doing the red? The last thing I want is the stencil pulling up the blue paint.

Wow, I'm doing the same exact thing right now, weird. Probably should have done the cab BEFORE the PF swap, oh well. I used the same Krylon paints also and they work pretty good as long as you allow plenty of dry time between coats. Warning on the matte over gloss, try a test spot 1st, if sprayed too soon it can react with the gloss coat and crackle. Not pretty. And, yes the mask tape is very tacky. Hope to spray my red paint today. Considering adding a metallic on the red. Sounds like a whole fleet of shuttles launching this year!

ss_cab_old.jpgss_cab_old.jpg ss_cab_blue-627.jpgss_cab_blue-627.jpg
#64 10 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Blue...crappy camera. Someone else did it first.

#65 10 years ago

Hey Vid, I don't suppose you can send me the rubber ring guide. I would like to keep all that in a folder.

We got the game working yesterday and only have a few minor issues to resolve. The biggest issue is the gate that allows entrance to the shuttle ramp. The mechanism below it is broken. Looks like a bracket broke.

Also, the ramp entrances are lifted off the air because the plastic tongues at the end of the ramps broke off. Is this a common problem? If so what method works best to fix it?

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Wow, I'm doing the same exact thing right now, weird. Probably should have done the cab BEFORE the PF swap, oh well. I used the same Krylon paints also and they work pretty good as long as you allow plenty of dry time between coats. Warning on the matte over gloss, try a test spot 1st, if sprayed too soon it can react with the gloss coat and crackle. Not pretty. And, yes the mask tape is very tacky. Hope to spray my red paint today. Considering adding a metallic on the red. Sounds like a whole fleet of shuttles launching this year!

ss_cab_old.jpg 59 KB

and...if you paint and don't like the way it went down after it drys for a week and sand it you have to wait another week after sanding before you repaint. I learned that the hard way when I repainted my Mach 3 and Tempest cabs. But they did turn out nice, got them "baby butt" smooth.

ss_cab_blue-627.jpg 25 KB

#67 10 years ago

^ dang I hate when my posts do that.

#68 10 years ago

I love this thread...

#69 10 years ago

Anyone know where I can find an assembly diagram for the "T" drop target?

#70 10 years ago

Did the cabinet repaint last summer, and have the playfield swap in process. Glad there is a lot of interest in this pin out there!

Mac

#72 10 years ago

First off, thanks for all the help guys.

Does anyone has some high res scans of their playfield? I could really use some of the pop bumper area and the area in the top above the lane multipliers.

Anyone know Where you can purchase the piece that attaches the drop target to the coil shaft? Maybe you know the correct name or even better... the part number? I looked it up on Marco but couldn't find it. Can't take a pic of it to show you because it didn't come with it.

Sorry if I am being needy but I just picked up my Space Shuttle two days ago and I am eager work on it.

#73 10 years ago

Any of you guys actually opened your Space Shuttle backglass and actually looked at it? My wife just opened ours and sent me a pic and it looks like there's a HUGE amount of blue in the tail jet part of the picture, where the exahust exits the nozzle....like covering ~75% of the exhaust plume. I'm hoping it's plastic or something but.....ugh. I was already concerned after seeing the pictures on their site (had already paid) and seeing the big blue splotches at the bottom of the plume, but I could've chalked that one up to 30+ years of fade, but what I'm seeing here just looks BAD....and I want to know if it's just this glass or if they're mostly all like this, since I've never had the benefit of seeing a NOS glass....

*Edit* Frig...one on the site looks like that too. Is that how they all originally looked? The blue on my original backglass must've been completely shot if so! Wonder if it was an attempt by the artist to emulate the inner-white-blue part of the flame that's the hottest.. Hrm.

#75 10 years ago

Our original Scan was of an NOS Backglass in Mint Condition and the Repro is within 98% accuracy ( keeping in mind that the Repro is a 9th Generation Copy).....

Generations =
1.) Original Painting
2.) Original Film Seperations
3.) Original Mesh Screens (for printing)
4.) Original Screen Printing
---------------------------------------------------
5.) New Cruse Scan of NOS Glass
6.) Photo Retouching to Color Correct & Remove Screen Printing Pixels
7.) New Film Seperations
8.) New Mesh Screen (for printing)
9.) New Screen Printing

That being said: This new repro looks pretty fricking good, for being a 9th Generation Copy.

If your looking for a "Perfect Match" then may I suggest buying an NOS Glass for $500+...but for the Money you can't beat this repro glass....

& the Repro is NOT Faded like 99% of the originals out there......

#76 10 years ago

Not looking for a perfect match.. I know better than that after getting my Shuttle playfield. You'll notice that I didn't even remotely wait for you guys to upload pictures before sending money...

That's basically what I was looking for was the technical explanation. I guess I've never seen an original backglass that was in good enough condition to still have that blue in there...which is kind of crazy given how many pictures of Shuttles I've seen, and I thought my backglass on the one I sold was pretty friggin nice. I can't wait to get home and look at it in person. It actually makes sense why it's there artistically, just looks wierd since I had the game for so long and used to seeing it as it was..

So what color bulb do you put behind blue on top of orange? Cool or warm?

#77 10 years ago

Here are some comparison images I took of a friends SS with the Original Glass & the Repro.....

// Error: Image 172838 not found // Space Shuttle_Comparison Images-422.jpgSpace Shuttle_Comparison Images-422.jpg
#78 10 years ago

Curious - what's with half the numbers missing from the top right (new CPR with incandescent no flash) picture? They are present in the other three.

The way you guys pack those things is great, by the way. Thanks for both doing the work and posting the comparison images.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Curious - what's with half the numbers missing from the top right (new CPR with incandescent no flash) picture? They are present in the other three.
The way you guys pack those things is great, by the way. Thanks for both doing the work and posting the comparison images.

It's an artifact of digital photography and how the plasma displays refresh, similar to how if you use a digital camera to take video of a CRT monitor....shutter speed aligned with an "off" time on the last set of digits on the bottom right display. Longer exposure time without the flash = no missing digits. Shorter exposure time because of the flash = missing digits.

Pics are awesome.

#80 10 years ago

Cheddar helped me identify a part but can anyone help be identify the one highlighted in this pic?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#81 10 years ago

When I get home I'll take some measurements of it

#82 10 years ago

Think it is #A-8038 (Coil Stop) at Marco

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Jor0822:

Cheddar helped me identify a part but can anyone help be identify the one highlighted in this pic?

UPDATE: Just buy the whole assembly http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-7931-1S . I think you will need to switch the mounting plate since the Space Shuttle has a hole in it for the T light.

Anybody know if this can be used?

In case it cannot here is the part info

measurements:

Width 13/16
Length 1 1/8
Depth 5/8

The coil stop is on the same side as the screws.

A little like this:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-14172 although I can't tell if it actually has the stop on it

I would contact Marco and give them the part number and the measurements and the coil part number and see if that part would fit.

Ultimately you might have better luck picking up a used assembly on ebay.

Here's this: http://www.pbresource.com/special.html look for "NOS Williams Comet Single Drop Target Spring Holder"

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Here are some comparison images I took of a friends SS with the Original Glass & the Repro

That "SPACE SHUTTLE" logo REALLY pops in the photos, I can't wait until mine comes

#85 10 years ago

good work stu!!!

#86 10 years ago

Thanks guys, it's a slow process & we are making small art & production tweaks with every (cmyk) glass that we do in an effort to put out the best we can each time. Each glass gets better & better each time we do a new release....I can't wait to see the Taxi glass (should be out by the end of next week?).....

Stu

#87 10 years ago

Finished the cab repaint. Makes an awesome Friday Night! I used the Classic Arcade stencil. Took a little time to get used to. Heavy Vynl backing instead of paper. Lesson: Just take your time. Peel it slowly. It took almost 15 minutes to peel off one of the big sheets. Use the plastic bondo tool to keep the mask layer pinned while you peel. Patience. Allow as much dry time as you can between coats. I also put a layer of primer down before the next color. Only applied two coats of color after. I peeled the mask while the paint was still a little wet to prevent peeling the paint with it. And remember. Blue coat. Red coat. White coat! Mine didn't turn out perfect, but I'm cool with it. Hope to see some nice cabs.

SS_Box_repaint.jpgSS_Box_repaint.jpg
#88 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

.... Mine didn't turn out perfect, but I'm cool with it. Hope to see some nice cabs.
SS_Box_repaint.jpg 63 KB

i think it looks good!

what brand did you used for the red and blue?

#89 10 years ago

It's all Krylon spray paint baby. I learned to spray just enough to "almost" start to drip then stop. I did spray some metallic red glitter on top of the red but it's not very noticeable. At least I'll be able to tell which SS is mine

#90 10 years ago

cool, i'm thinking of clearing my cabinet with automotive clear, like i did with my playboy.

#91 10 years ago

I just looked again. I used Rust-O-Le-um paint. Go with the gun. I painted a lot of Pontiacs in a past life. I'm saving my paint gun for some playfield clearcoats. I'm sure whatever you shoot with a gun would be far superior to a can.

#92 10 years ago

no worries, i work in a body shop.
look for my playboy thread, you'll see.

#93 10 years ago

Got a chance to scope out my backglass last night. Shockingly blue. Looks awesome. Feels kinda wierd to hold a backglass without any trim on it, feels like it's way thinner than it should be (well DUH, right?). Colors are amazing. There's about a 1" scratch in the glass under the "C", on the front side of the glass, but I don't think it would ever be noticeable from player distance or once it's on the wall hanging up somewhere. Packaging was excellent, as usual.

If I had to pick one thing after looking at it in person to nitpick at -all-, it would be the mirroring. It's not as nearly as reflective as much as my Future Spa backglass, which has a ton of mirroring. It's more like a silvery shiny ink than a true mirrored area. Given how fantastic the rest of the glass looks, it's a tradeoff I'm more than happy to accept, just interested in the technical side of how you guys do it vs. how the originals were done.

Thanks for getting this project done. Been looking foward to having one of these for a long time, and takes a good bit of sting out of not having the actual machine now.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Thanks for getting this project done. Been looking foward to having one of these for a long time, and takes a good bit of sting out of not having the actual machine now

You bought the backglass JUST to hang on the wall? You need to get a machine

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

You bought the backglass JUST to hang on the wall? You need to get a machine

I'd love to get MY game back...just like I'd love to get MY Tron back...but it takes money, and convincing people they want to sell me back games I sold to them. So yeah. I bide my time, for now. Like I told my wife.... if I found a plastics set (which I can't find anywhere), then I would probably go ahead and buy another playfield and just look for a new game. I've already done the swap once. It wasn't that bad.

For the record, Shuttle was the first game I bought, and the one I've owned the longest. I was the only game to make it past a year owned...had it for about a year and a half.....average lifespan in my collection is about 4 months.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

if I found a plastics set (which I can't find anywhere), then I would probably go ahead and buy another playfield

Holy crap you're right, I've checked the usual 4-5 vendors and all out of stock. Ironic the plastics sets sold out but they still have playfields.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Holy crap you're right, I've checked the usual 4-5 vendors and all out of stock. Ironic the plastics sets sold out but they still have playfields.

Yeah. Apparently there's enough decent playfields out there that all the plastics got snagged up by people that needed them, not enough were run to meet general demand, or "extras" were taken up by people buying 2 or 3 sets.....which I should've done.

If I can get my game back...it's got the set on it. If not....well, I don't see any reason to do the PF swap without them.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

if I found a plastics set (which I can't find anywhere), then I would probably go ahead and buy another playfield and just look for a new game.

I just got mine here. Price was around 125 with 50 shipping. Set looks great. still has the cpr and official replacement parts stickers.
http://www.parts4pinballs.com/product_info.php?products_id=4799

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

I just looked again. I used Rust-O-Le-um paint. Go with the gun. I painted a lot of Pontiacs in a past life. I'm saving my paint gun for some playfield clearcoats. I'm sure whatever you shoot with a gun would be far superior to a can.

Nice job! Can you post which exact colors you used? Looks great. I'm using Rust-Oleum as well but couldn't find a flat/matte navy blue, at least not at my local stores.

#100 10 years ago

I used the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x Gloss Navy Blue, gloss white, and gloss apple red also. After the whole thing was finished it didn't seem as glossy (which was a good thing). So I didn't spray anything else on top.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,484 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.