(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 90.
#901 8 years ago

Paul, the graphics and inserts are still hotdog shaped when unlit... but some used 3 round inserts on either side, presumably because Williams ran out of the original hotdogs during production and couldn't get more.

Even when unlit, you can spot the circular inserts in a photo, owing to a hue shift in the graphics...

ShuttleRoundDogs.jpgShuttleRoundDogs.jpg

It seems to be about 50/50 on machines I've seen in pics, but that's hardly conclusive. I greatly prefer the all-natural dogs myself.

I wonder where this running change aligns with the different backbox sizes that were used? Could be up to 4 different production variants out there!

#902 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Paul, the graphics and inserts are still hotdog shaped when unlit... but some used 3 round inserts on either side, presumably because Williams ran out of the original hotdogs during production and couldn't get more.
Even when unlit, you can spot the circular inserts in a photo, owing to a hue shift in the graphics...
ShuttleRoundDogs.jpg
It seems to be about 50/50 on machines I've seen in pics, but that's hardly conclusive. I greatly prefer the all-natural dogs myself.
I wonder where this running change aligns with the different backbox sizes that were used? Could be up to 4 different production variants out there!

Thanks, I have the thick bb. So if I ever want to restencel my game it's gonna be tough. In your picture aren't the 2 yellow rubber "bells" on upside down?

#903 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

In your picture aren't the 2 yellow rubber "bells" on upside down?

Looks that way in the pic, but it's not my game, just the first one I found on skynet image search.

#904 8 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Looks that way in the pic, but it's not my game, just the first one I found on skynet image search.

I see.

#905 8 years ago

I have hotdog inserts and hotdog-shaped holes in the playfield. And there are enough fly balls hitting the middle T that I don't need no stinkin yellow cones on upside down.

#906 8 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

And there are enough fly balls hitting the middle T that I don't need no stinkin yellow cones on upside down.

#907 8 years ago

Hey if I decided to get into the market for this table, if I find a pretty nice one inside and out that wasn't just shoddy players condition, one that's quite nice and doesn't need any help, what would I be likely into it for? I'm curious how these are valued today.

#908 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

Hey if I decided to get into the market for this table, if I find a pretty nice one inside and out that wasn't just shoddy players condition, one that's quite nice and doesn't need any help, what would I be likely into it for? I'm curious how these are valued today.

between $800 - $1200

#909 8 years ago

I just sold mine a few mnths ago for
1900.00. I put a shit load of work into it though. It was pretty nice.

#910 8 years ago

So it's a wide range depending on stock, add-ons, and condition I guess. I'm contemplating swapping out a PinBot for it. I'm not very versed in keeping one with a touchy vortex and mechanicals happy like I am with a more basic table. What I have into it would put me between the range it appears if I did it. Thanks.

#911 8 years ago

I just traded a Jokerz! machine for my Space Shuttle a couple weeks ago. It plays well but has some cosmetic issues. Looking forward to attempting a restoration on it.

#912 8 years ago

My pinbot I'm the third owner and it has been a home use system the whole time supposedly. Very little wear to the body and so on, mylar bubbles in places from age, but you don't have any of the worn paint, dents or divots from lots of ball action. The only issue I have is the little cover over the vortex with the shuttle cracked but I glued that (ugh) and anything else is just some age over time, nothing busted or snapped off like the common bit at the top of the vortex. I'm just tired of having to keep screwing with the legs or tinkering inside to keep the angle right so the vortex doesn't foul up. I don't like having to keep messing with it babying the thing, my EM wannabe SS Gold Ball from Bally (1983) is a tank, it just works.

#913 8 years ago

The sparkle paper looks great! Oddly enough, i have some of the wxact red paper from a previous project...i will have to give it a try on my new panel!

Thanks for sharing!

--ed

#914 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

So it's a wide range depending on stock, add-ons, and condition I guess. I'm contemplating swapping out a PinBot for it. I'm not very versed in keeping one with a touchy vortex and mechanicals happy like I am with a more basic table. What I have into it would put me between the range it appears if I did it. Thanks.

I have been looking for a trade for a Pinbot, but just not ready to let go og my space shuttle. I do, however, have a super nice close encounters that imjust finished restoring (also upgraded to pascal all in ine board and pascal remote control sensor....umong other upgrades). I also have a silverball mania that i am in the process of restoring.

If you are interested, let me know.
--ed

#915 8 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

The sparkle paper looks great! Oddly enough, i have some of the wxact red paper from a previous project...i will have to give it a try on my new panel!
Thanks for sharing!
--ed

Cool. I thought about blue, orange or green but red, to me, highlighted those 2 cutouts better.

2 months later
#916 8 years ago

Newer member here checking in. I've had my Space Shuttle machine for about 11 years. It's still my wife's favorite (one of mine too) and an amazing machine to play. I also own a Pinbot as of a few months ago. Both a fun...but Space Shuttle is the machine that "saved pinball," so it holds a special place.

#917 8 years ago

I just joined the club on Monday.

It was in a lot of games. The playfield is beat but it was all working except the flippers and Player 4 display.

I got it home changed the fuse, adjusted a few switches, and have been playing the hell out of this great game.

#919 8 years ago

I fixed my spinner the other night. It was bent every-so-slightly so it wouldn't spin forever the way new spinners do. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and bent the pins to be perfectly parallel to the playfield and now it goes on for at least twice as long.

Also adjusted the pop bumpers. They just don't seem to retain their switch spacing and eventually feel very weak as a result. They're annoying to adjust.

#920 8 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I fixed my spinner the other night. It was bent every-so-slightly so it wouldn't spin forever the way new spinners do. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and bent the pins to be perfectly parallel to the playfield and now it goes on for at least twice as long.
Also adjusted the pop bumpers. They just don't seem to retain their switch spacing and eventually feel very weak as a result. They're annoying to adjust.

A good spinning spinner can rack up some serious points, mine spins like the devil. Maybe you need a pop bumper rebuild, the spoons could be really bad.

#921 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

A good spinning spinner can rack up some serious points, mine spins like the devil. Maybe you need a pop bumper rebuild, the spoons could be really bad.

They look good. But I know what you mean. A slight wear of the cup is all it takes.

#922 8 years ago
Quoted from Trickman:

Newer member here checking in. I've had my Space Shuttle machine for about 11 years. It's still my wife's favorite (one of mine too) and an amazing machine to play. I also own a Pinbot as of a few months ago. Both a fun...but Space Shuttle is the machine that "saved pinball," so it holds a special place.

I own the same duo and feel the same way. I love my PinBot too but the shuttle is special. It is fast enough, forgiving enough but also randomly challenging enough to be popular with everyone in my family. Prepare for liftoff!

2 weeks later
#923 8 years ago

I realized my Space Shuttle had a little ball hop, so I had a visit with Dr. Cliff... He'll have a remedy ready in a few weeks. I'm going to put some Cliffy enhanced lane guides in mine. He's having them cut soon. I'll post back in a few weeks after I install them and report back. The enhanced side adds 1/8" to improve over the factory build. I have them on ALL my pins.

NEVER settle for ball hop, ESPECIALLY on a game like Space Shuttle with great "inlane-swoosh"...
-mof

#924 8 years ago

NEVER settle for ball hop, ESPECIALLY on a game like Space Shuttle with great "inlane-swoosh".../blockquote>

Never heard that term before. What is "ball hop"?

#925 8 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What is "ball hop"?

When on a worn game, the ball jumps up a little as the ball goes from the inlane to the flipper. The expectation is it should smoothly go from the guide to the flipper in a perfect straight line and not bounce up a little.

-mof

#926 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

When on a worn game, the ball jumps up a little as the ball goes from the inlane to the flipper. The expectation is it should smoothly go from the guide to the flipper in a perfect straight line and not bounce up a little.
-mof

Aha! I have a bit of that on my right inlane. I did not know that it had a special name. I look forward to pictures and a report once you install the fix you ordered. Maybe I will follow suit.

#927 8 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Aha! I have a bit of that on my right inlane. I did not know that it had a special name. I look forward to pictures and a report once you install the fix you ordered. Maybe I will follow suit.

Yes the right side is the more problematic side from Williams (if I understand correctly) and so Cliff makes that side a TAD bigger. You can get JUST the right side from him if you want (now) -- it's the left side he needs to get crafted in October...

-mof

1 week later
#928 8 years ago

Does anyone has a link to any cool custom instruction cards?

#929 8 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone has a link to any cool custom instruction cards?

page 2 of this thread.

2 weeks later
#930 8 years ago

I'm in desperate need of a wiring harness for space shuttle. Got a project with crazy messed up wiring . Let me know if you know anyone that can help out. Thx

#931 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I'm in desperate need of a wiring harness for Space Shuttle. Got a project with crazy messed up wiring . Let me know if you know anyone that can help out. Thx

I've seen a populated playfield or two for sale over the years with bad playfields. Was nearly tempted to buy one for $300 out of indiana about a year back. Keep your eyes out, one is bound to pop up.

3 weeks later
#932 8 years ago

Well I am back in the club.... Space shuttle has a special place in my heart, as it was the first game I ever owned back in the 1990s. A friend of mine had one sitting in their living room that they wanted to get rid of, so I obliged them.

The playfield has a few marks on it, the HV section of the power supply is shot, and the head had structural issues, but at least the game is complete.

IMG_3464.JPGIMG_3464.JPG
IMG_3465.JPGIMG_3465.JPG

The worst part was the head. It looks like some one had tried to force the head down without taking out the bolts. The bottom piece of plywood had some pretty serious issues, and the whole thing wobbled.

To to address the issue, I put another piece of 0.70 hardwood plywood over the bottom piece from the inside. I matched all the holes to allow the wires to go through and the head bolts, and I moved the side brackets up that hold the speaker panel on. I attached the board with wood glue and deck screws from the bottom side where they wouldn't be seen. This took a lot of the 'bow' out of the original bottom piece of plywood.

IMG_3461.JPGIMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3460.JPGIMG_3460.JPG

The head is much more stable now, and the backglass and light insert now line up better.

Someday if I ever repaint this cabinet, I will address all the nicks and scratches in the head.

#933 8 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Well I am back in the club.... Space Shuttle has a special place in my heart, as it was the first game I ever owned back in the 1990s. A friend of mine had one sitting in their living room that they wanted to get rid of, so I obliged them.
The playfield has a few marks on it, the HV section of the power supply is shot, and the head had structural issues, but at least the game is complete.
IMG_3464.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG
The worst part was the head. It looks like some one had tried to force the head down without taking out the bolts. The bottom piece of plywood had some pretty serious issues, and the whole thing wobbled.
To to address the issue, I put another piece of 0.70 hardwood plywood over the bottom piece from the inside. I matched all the holes to allow the wires to go through and the head bolts, and I moved the side brackets up that hold the speaker panel on. I attached the board with wood glue and deck screws from the bottom side where they wouldn't be seen. This took a lot of the 'bow' out of the original bottom piece of plywood.
IMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG
The head is much more stable now, and the backglass and light insert now line up better.
Someday if I ever repaint this cabinet, I will address all the nicks and scratches in the head.

Welcome back, it needs a little love but at least you found one close. Hope ya got it at a good price.

#934 8 years ago

Looks like I will finally get my Space Shuttle back up and running like new, my brand new system 9 board should be here next week, I have been waiting forever to get this game going but it looks like my patience has paid off, I will let you guys know how the new board is as soon as i get it installed

#935 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Looks like I will finally get my Space Shuttle back up and running like new, my brand new system 9 board should be here next week, I have been waiting forever to get this game going but it looks like my patience has paid off, I will let you guys know how the new board is as soon as i get it installed

Sounds good, keep us in the loop.

#936 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds good, keep us in the loop.

I sure will

#937 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Where did you get a new board?

#938 8 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Where did you get a new board?

They are sending out the new boards to the people who have emailed them in the past asking about it, it covers system 9-11c, they should update the website soon, i will let you guys know how i make out when it gets here

http://www.pinballpcb.com/

#939 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

They are sending out the new boards to the people who have emailed them in the past asking about it, it covers system 9-11c, they should update the website soon, i will let you guys know how i make out when it gets here
http://www.pinballpcb.com/

What the hell? I've emailed them, I didn't get an email. Oh well, just happy that board is moving past the test phase. Love that company.

#940 8 years ago

Please forgive a new member here if my forum searching skills are lacking.

I'm hoping to help my dad out by replacing the rubber on his SS when I go visit for thanksgiving. Sounds like Titan Bands are all the rage these days, but they don't have a set kit for Space Shuttle on their site. How can I know what I need to order?

Also what will I need in terms of tools for the swap out?

#941 8 years ago

Dr Scoops,

Here is the list of playfield parts...just look through the list for the rubbers and their sizes, make a list for yourself, and then olace your order

In regards to what tools you may need, a pair of screw drivers, have a phillips and a flat head ready, and a set of pliers would be a good idea to have on hand too.

btw, here is a link to the manual for space shuttle, which is on IPDB
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2260/Williams_1984_Space_Shuttle_Instruction_Manual_dated_Nov_3_1984_with_schematics.pdf

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#942 8 years ago

You can call Pinball Resource (845) 473-7114 and just order a rubber kit for the game. Pinball Resource will set you up with an account and ship the parts to you along with an invoice for you to pay. PBR generally extends credit on your first order up to $50.

http://www.pbresource.com/

http://www.pbresource.com/rubber.html

#943 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

You can call Pinball Resource (845) 473-7114 and just order a rubber kit for the game. Pinball Resource will set you up with an account and ship the parts to you along with an invoice for you to pay. PBR generally extends credit on your first order up to $50.
http://www.pbresource.com/
http://www.pbresource.com/rubber.html

Quoted from DrScoops:

Sounds like Titan Bands are all the rage these days, but they don't have a set kit for Space Shuttle on their site. How can I know what I need to order?

I gave the chart, as it sounds like he was looking to buy TITAN BANDS, but they disnt have a kit listed for Space Shuttle. I too love PBR, and recomend ordering stuff with him. However, I don't believe PBR carries TITAN BANDS; I could be wrong though.

#944 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Please forgive a new member here if my forum searching skills are lacking.

Nothing to be sorry about! We were all new to this hobbie at one point. I posted an answer to you questions, but if you need any more help/have other question, we are here to help!

--ed

#945 8 years ago

How is it that when this thread started a year ago All of the most important items needed to fully restore a Space Shuttle were readily available, to now where there is next to nothing? I can't find anything that I need, so I guess I am to late??

#946 8 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I gave the chart, as it sounds like he was looking to buy TITAN BANDS, but they disnt have a kit listed for Space Shuttle. I too love PBR, and recomend ordering stuff with him. However, I don't believe PBR carries TITAN BANDS; I could be wrong though.

Only Titan sells Titan. They don't have any re sellers.

#947 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Only Titan sells Titan. They don't have any re sellers.

That's what i was getting at in my response to FREEPLAY40's reply about using PBR for what DRSCOOPS was asking about

#948 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

How is it that when this thread started a year ago All of the most important items needed to fully restore a Space Shuttle were readily available, to now where there is next to nothing? I can't find anything that I need, so I guess I am to late??

What items are you looking for?

#949 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

dont feel too bad, i am in the same boat, i showed up a little late also , i want a new playfield but i am not paying some douche on ebay $1600 for it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sign-up-here-for-new-cpr-space-shuttle-playfield

#950 8 years ago

Yeah the CPR playfields are nothing but disgusting greediness now. I need one too as my playfield is shot. Because printing another batch is cost-prohibitive says CPR, people are just holding the original print hoping someone will pay $1000+ for it. Sickening.

I bought my Space Shuttle band kit on eBay. It was normal bands, nothing fancy. They do flake a bit though which I'm unhappy with. But because my playfield is so bad, I don't care.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.