(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 90.
#651 9 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to reset the high scores? The manual is quite confusing as to when I'm to press and hold the HIGH SCORE RESET switch. I never hear a sound and the scores don't reset. I did, however, get the #1 high score to be repeated in all 4 positions, which is lame because the game was won on a cheat (the multiball/stop n score switch was stuck closed repeatedly scoring).

I want all 00's for high scores. I set the scores on 4/13.1-5, but can't seem to reset them.

Maybe the switch is bad?

#652 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Can anyone tell me how to reset the high scores? The manual is quite confusing as to when I'm to press and hold the HIGH SCORE RESET switch. I never hear a sound and the scores don't reset. I did, however, get the #1 high score to be repeated in all 4 positions, which is lame because the game was won on a cheat (the multiball/stop n score switch was stuck closed repeatedly scoring).
I want all 00's for high scores. I set the scores on 4/13.1-5, but can't seem to reset them.

Don't quote me on this but take all the batteries out and put um back in. I think.

#653 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Don't quote me on this but take all the batteries out and put um back in. I think.

If you cant figure it out from the manual this should do it.

#654 9 years ago

HA. Ya know, that never occurred to me. Still confused why I can't manually reset them though.

#656 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

HA. Ya know, that never occurred to me. Still confused why I can't manually reset them though.

and while your at it put fresh batteries in.

#657 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and while your at it put fresh batteries in.

Good call !

#658 9 years ago

Batteries are fresh! First thing I did actually since the board was plagued with battery acid damage from the start.

I know on page 9 it has instructions, but when I hold the RESET HIGH SCORES button down, nothing happens. Ever. No matter how long I hold it or when I hold it.

I've set 13.1-4 to the high scores I want to show upon reset. But when I pull the batteries, I lose those settings too, and they automatically reset to 4.5M/4M/3.5M/3M which are not what I chose

Can someone describe or show me the wire connections on their RESET HIGH SCORES switch for me to compare? I don't have any wiring diagrams of the cabinet/coin door for this game, something the manual lacks and should have in my opinion.

Thanks!

#659 9 years ago

So I did some digging, and it turns out that not only is my high score reset button not working, but the plumb bob tilt, ball roll tilt, and slam tilt not working. Since I have no coin door mechanisms, they're removed as well. I think someone got into this circuit and messed with it. Credit button works fine though. They're all run through 1J10 from the main board.

I'll have to do some further exploratory surgery to see what's been messed with.

Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

#660 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

So I did some digging, and it turns out that not only is my high score reset button not working, but the plumb bob tilt, ball roll tilt, and slam tilt not working. Since I have no coin door mechanisms, they're removed as well. I think someone got into this circuit and messed with it. Credit button works fine though. They're all run through 1J10 from the main board.
I'll have to do some further exploratory surgery to see what's been messed with.

Untitled-2.jpg 23 KB

Damn someone really hacked your game.

#661 9 years ago

Did some tinkering today after reading the schematic a bit more and managed to fix the high score reset issue. At first I thought maybe it was a column failure, seeing as the column consists of Plumb-Tilt, Ball-Roll Tilt, Right Coin, Center Coin, Left Coin, Slam Tilt, and High Score Reset, all of which were not working. But, it's also responsible for the Credit Button which IS working. The whole column couldn't be in a fail state.

The next obvious reasoning was a bad wire. All of them run through a Green/Brown wire back to the main board. But since the credit button was working, I surmised that it couldn't have been a failure on the board, but somewhere else. The five connectors as seen in the image above (high score reset, sam tile, left/right/center coins) all exist on the coin door beyond a 12-pin connector jack. All five of these were non-functional. Therefore, the issue is there.

And certainly it was. The green/brown wire that existed to connect all of those mechanisms had been spliced and looped back on itself for some strange reason. I never try to question what previous owners do their machines. None of the five switches were operations. As soon as I re-attached it to the left coin door, they started to work (at least the ones I could test immediately.)

Left coin chute works. Right coin chute does not. But the previous owner once again worked magic and cut the arms off the chute switches. I can still turn the mechanism, but the right one doesn't activate.

High score reset works just fine now! That's why I was doing this.

Tilts I may mess with another time. I believe they were severed too. I just don't feel like taking the machine apart today.

The machine is a beater. I'm not going to replace the coin mechanisms because they're missing and the game it staying in my house. The plumb tilt I will probably fix. But slam tilts and ball roll tilt probably not (if they're missing or broken).

#662 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Did some tinkering today after reading the schematic a bit more and managed to fix the high score reset issue. At first I thought maybe it was a column failure, seeing as the column consists of Plumb-Tilt, Ball-Roll Tilt, Right Coin, Center Coin, Left Coin, Slam Tilt, and High Score Reset, all of which were not working. But, it's also responsible for the Credit Button which IS working. The whole column couldn't be in a fail state.
The next obvious reasoning was a bad wire. All of them run through a Green/Brown wire back to the main board. But since the credit button was working, I surmised that it couldn't have been a failure on the board, but somewhere else. The five connectors as seen in the image above (high score reset, sam tile, left/right/center coins) all exist on the coin door beyond a 12-pin connector jack. All five of these were non-functional. Therefore, the issue is there.
And certainly it was. The green/brown wire that existed to connect all of those mechanisms had been spliced and looped back on itself for some strange reason. I never try to question what previous owners do their machines. None of the five switches were operations. As soon as I re-attached it to the left coin door, they started to work (at least the ones I could test immediately.)
Left coin chute works. Right coin chute does not. But the previous owner once again worked magic and cut the arms off the chute switches. I can still turn the mechanism, but the right one doesn't activate.
High score reset works just fine now! That's why I was doing this.
Tilts I may mess with another time. I believe they were severed too. I just don't feel like taking the machine apart today.
The machine is a beater. I'm not going to replace the coin mechanisms because they're missing and the game it staying in my house. The plumb tilt I will probably fix. But slam tilts and ball roll tilt probably not (if they're missing or broken).

Great detective work. You could come over and work on my games any day.

1 week later
#663 9 years ago

While I wait for my MPU issues to be identified, I did receive some token good news in the form of test samples of my mod concepts.

So, after I submitted the files for the speaker panel art, I had another idea to mod the insert panel on the coin door. Normally there is a Williams logo sticker there, but it was missing on mine... so I had a thought and designed a new part using some of the art I already traced.

Now, unfortunately, it turns out a portion of the art for this new idea, got lost in the file conversion during the CNC process. But it's an easy fix that's been identified, and will be addressed along with some other planned enhancements.

SO here's the sample:

Insert1.jpgInsert1.jpg

It's an etching on a stainless panel that perfectly fits the insert blank. The upper arc over the shuttle logo is what got lost, but will be added in. A darker outline around the etching is planned as well.

This really looks so much better in person than I can manage to capture with a potato! The etching manages to capture light and reflect differently....

Insert2.jpgInsert2.jpg

Insert3.jpgInsert3.jpg

AND the coolest part is, in order to fit this panel to the coin door, I had to snap off the key chain loop I designed in. That's right: these are made as key fobs (after all, it turns out to be a perfect size), but if you choose, you can snap (well, I used a Dremel to cut... a snap-scoring line is planned) the loop off and stick it to your coin door!

So what do you think?

It will still be a little while before I have the fixed versions, let alone my full-size speaker panel. Target date is Christmas. Shoot, with any luck my MPU will be fixed and installed then too, hopefully. But for now I'm pretty pleased...

Insert4.jpgInsert4.jpg

#664 9 years ago

goingincirclez, you have no idea how cool it is for me to see that you've adorned your coin door with the Space Shuttle Program Commemorative Patch there on the left!

I'm a graphic designer for NASA here in Houston and am the one who designed that patch.

I love the custom etching on there as well!! Nicely done!

#665 9 years ago

Ah, well it's an honor to "meet" (much less entertain compliments from) the very NASA geek who designed those logos! Color me jealous as I've always wanted to be a design / art pro, but rather find my way in fits and starts. Those logos really are nice. I have the same SSPC pin, which I plan to apply to the shooter lane.

I couldn't decide which patch to get at the time, so both it was. Then I was too afraid to use them so for all this time they've awaited the "right stuff"... now here we are. Actually I technically still haven't used the patches... I scanned them and made vinyl stickers instead

I'm glad you like the panel insert. Can't take credit for the original art of course, but at least the concept executed reasonably well.

#666 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

goingincirclez, you have no idea how cool it is for me to see that you've adorned your coin door with the Space Shuttle Program Commemorative Patch there on the left!
I'm a graphic designer for NASA here in Houston and am the one who designed that patch.
I love the custom etching on there as well!! Nicely done!

WOW that is soooo cool to have you here on Pinside. You've got a job many people would die for. You going to watch the Orian lift off tomorrow? Do you have a design for that?

#667 9 years ago

Thanks guys! It's certainly been a pleasure hanging around Pinside!

It definitely has been an honor to design patches and other marketing materials for NASA over the last few years. Something I absolutely don't take for granted as I know it's an incredibly unique opportunity! It was very fun seeing the variety of ways they utilized the Shuttle Commemorative Patch! But seeing it on someone's pinball machine is one of the coolest ways I've seen it used!

Paul, as much as I would have LOVED to be in Florida for the Orion launch this morning, I am watching it from here in Houston. The Orion EFT-1 design actually wasn't one of mine.

#668 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

It definitely has been an honor to design patches

My wife is a huge NASA enthusiast, she went to space camp twice and she has every single patch ever released. We were also lucky enough to watch the final launch
5923956773_d5e2c025e2_b.jpg5923956773_d5e2c025e2_b.jpg
5924519416_b700b92d45_z.jpg5924519416_b700b92d45_z.jpg

#669 9 years ago

Awesome! Yeah I've grown up around NASA my whole life so it is definitely engrained in me! I've loved the space program from a young age!

Great pics, toyotaboy (from this morning I assume?) It was a real bummer about the scrub today, but fingers crossed for a successful attempt tomorrow morning!

I was fortunate enough to see 3 launches during the Shuttle program (including STS-135), all from the closest viewing site at KSC, about 3 miles from the pad. 2 night launches and 1 day launch. Also had the great opportunity to go up to the perimeter fence at the pad the day before the final launch.

STS-135 on Pad small.jpgSTS-135 on Pad small.jpg
Launch 5 - small.jpgLaunch 5 - small.jpg
Launch 7 - small.jpgLaunch 7 - small.jpg

#670 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

My wife is a huge NASA enthusiast, she went to space camp twice and she has every single patch ever released. We were also lucky enough to watch the final launch

5923956773_d5e2c025e2_b.jpg 40 KB

5924519416_b700b92d45_z.jpg 45 KB

I loved the Shuttle program and really saddened that I never saw a launch in person so I go the next best thing. It's an HD dvd about the program and it has THE most spectacular footage of Shuttles taking off I have ever seen. Can't find the dvd right now.

#671 9 years ago

Yes, it was definitely sad to see the Shuttle program come to an end! It was such an iconic representation of American innovation and a great sense of national pride. But I am remaining confident that we'll recapture that spirit in the future with Orion. And there is some excellent collaborative efforts going on aboard the ISS.

Although nothing compares to seeing a launch in person, I would certainly recommend you visit the museums that now house the shuttles, Paul. Seeing the orbiters up close is quite a sight! And even though we very unfortunately did not get a shuttle here in Houston, we are still working on an equally impressive exhibit that will open later this year: The 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Visitors will be able to explore the interiors of both the 747 and Shuttle mockup on top. It is awesome to see in person! Massive!

I think we need to find room for a Shuttle pinball somewhere in there!

SCA-Shuttle Display Final med.jpgSCA-Shuttle Display Final med.jpg
SCA-Shuttle from Bldg1.jpgSCA-Shuttle from Bldg1.jpg

#672 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Yes, it was definitely sad to see the Shuttle program come to an end! It was such an iconic representation of American innovation and a great sense of national pride. But I am remaining confident that we'll recapture that spirit in the future with Orion. And there is some excellent collaborative efforts going on aboard the ISS.
Although nothing compares to seeing a launch in person, I would certainly recommend you visit the museums that now house the shuttles, Paul. Seeing the orbiters up close is quite a sight! And even though we very unfortunately did not get a shuttle here in Houston, we are still working on an equally impressive exhibit that will open later this year: The 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Visitors will be able to explore the interiors of both the 747 and Shuttle mockup on top. It is awesome to see in person! Massive!
I think we need to find room for a Shuttle pinball somewhere in there!

SCA-Shuttle Display Final med.jp... 103 KB

SCA-Shuttle from Bldg1.jpg 202 KB

The closest I ever got to the pad was a few years ago and got some pictures of the VAB from across the bay. Don't know if I'll ever get to the museums but would like to.

#673 9 years ago

Very cool! The VAB is unbelievable up close. Definitely try to make it out to the museums sometime! It will be worth your time!

#674 9 years ago

I once fixed a Shuttle for a customer last year and he said "Too bad they never took it to the moon...", I was like "Ummm.....although it was called the Spaceshuttle, it could not really go into outer space....".

He could not believe he was duped all those years.

#675 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Great pics, toyotaboy (from this morning I assume?)

No, that was from STS-135.

Quoted from BD_Designs:

I was fortunate enough to see 3 launches during the Shuttle program (including STS-135), all from the closest viewing site at KSC, about 3 miles from the pad

I think the causeway got you within 5 miles of the launch, or if you hang out at the museum it's more like 7-8. You must have been in the special VIP bleachers.

My really question is... How do you only have addams family in your collection? Surely there's a space shuttle in texas somewhere?

#676 9 years ago

Haha well that's a really great question! I'm actually also surprised I don't have a Space Shuttle in my collection either. Part of it has to do with me being really particular about the condition of the machines I want. I just haven't found a really nice SS here recently believe it or not. I also hadn't played one in a long time until recently and didn't appreciate how much fun the game is until I was older. So needless to say, I am much more interested in SS now than I was as a kid.

#677 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Very cool! The VAB is unbelievable up close. Definitely try to make it out to the museums sometime! It will be worth your time!

I heard the building is so big and open inside that it had it's own weather. True or false?

#678 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I once fixed a Shuttle for a customer last year and he said "Too bad they never took it to the moon...", I was like "Ummm.....although it was called the Spaceshuttle, it could not really go into outer space....".
He could not believe he was duped all those years.

Well vid don't you know that we never went to the moon....it was a big hoax. I've met a few people that really believed that. Those were fun arguments.

#679 9 years ago

Im trying to find a new flipper plate for my Space shuttle. I cant find anything for system 9 machines. Only this . Does anyone know if this is the one that was used ? Its for system 6 and 7.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-8231-R

#680 9 years ago

That's looks right. It's been a year but I recall the coil stop being built in.

There's nothing preventing you from using the newer style plate even if you don't do both. The new plate let's replace the coil stop easily and can accommodate both styles of springs.

I'm putting these in my high speed http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=FLASSY1_L

#681 9 years ago

The part numbers for the flipper assemblies (the entire assembly) are C-9952-L and C-9952-R. However, I cannot seem to locate anything that identifies just the bracket. I rebuilt my flippers but did not need the bracket. There are rebuild kits for that purpose available all over. I'll keep looking but I don't think much will come up.

#682 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

There's nothing preventing you from using the newer style plate even if you don't do both. The new plate let's replace the coil stop easily and can accommodate both styles of springs.

I'm putting these in my High Speed http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=FLASSY1_L

I think thats what i might end up going with. I dont like the built in coil stops and want to get away from the conical springs. I assume i can use all the other parts from the original setup ? Everything is new.

Quoted from ExitWound:

I rebuilt my flippers but did not need the bracket. There are rebuild kits for that purpose available all over. I'll keep looking but I don't think much will come up.

Thanks. Yeah, looking up parts for space shuttle can be a frustrating task .

#683 9 years ago

Looking for a bit of help with a switch problem im having. Switch 28 and 32 will not register in switch test. All other switches are registering. They register when jumpering the pins on the board. Contacts are good and I dont see any issues with other switches in the column.

Any ideas?

#684 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I heard the building is so big and open inside that it had it's own weather. True or false?

Yes, that is true to an extent Paul. The VAB is MASSIVE inside. Honestly, it's rather unfathomable how huge it is when you're standing inside.

Because the building has such a large, open space, much of which isn't climate controlled, the Florida humidity can build up inside the upper parts of the facility, creating precipitation. So it can sort of "rain" inside the building under the right weather conditions.

#685 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Looking for a bit of help with a switch problem im having. Switch 28 and 32 will not register in switch test. All other switches are registering. They register when jumpering the pins on the board. Contacts are good and I dont see any issues with other switches in the column.
Any ideas?

I have two switches (the A lane and the upper ramp switch) which continuously give me problems. The switches test good, but during gameplay, won't trigger. I have to clean them after every 20 or 30 games even though they test fine. I think I'm going to replace them next I order stuff. I don't know if it's the material the contacts were made from or what. But even though my DMM tests show they're working, the game doesn't recognize the closing of the switch.

#686 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I have two switches (the A lane and the upper ramp switch) which continuously give me problems. The switches test good, but during gameplay, won't trigger. I have to clean them after every 20 or 30 games even though they test fine. I think I'm going to replace them next I order stuff. I don't know if it's the material the contacts were made from or what. But even though my DMM tests show they're working, the game doesn't recognize the closing of the switch.

I wish it was as simple as dirty contacts on mine. They dont register even if shorted together.

#687 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Any ideas?

Do the switches have diodes on them?

#688 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Do the switches have diodes on them?

Yes, diode has been replaced on switch 32.

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Yes, diode has been replaced on switch 32.

Stupid question, but are you sure the diode orientation is correct? Same as other switches that work?

#690 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I wish it was as simple as dirty contacts on mine. They dont register even if shorted together.

I have been having the same problem with mine, it is the transistor on the board in my case , I replaced it twice, it will work for a while and then start giving me problems, I am tired of messing with this old board , I wish they would get that replacement system 9 board on the market , my game has been down for about a month now,

#691 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Stupid question, but are you sure the diode orientation is correct? Same as other switches that work?

Yes, the diodes are in correct orientation.

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I have been having the same problem with mine, it is the transistor on the board in my case , I replaced it twice, it will work for a while and then start giving me problems, I am tired of messing with this old board , I wish they would get that replacement system 9 board on the market , my game has been down for about a month now,

Do your switches register if you jumper them on the board? Mine work fine doing that, so I would think that its not a board problem.

#693 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

If they are original switches they probably need replacing, they are after all 35 years old.

#694 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Do your switches register if you jumper them on the board? Mine work fine doing that, so I would think that its not a board problem.

every switch that is controlled by that transistor does not register, I just want a new trouble free board

#695 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

every switch that is controlled by that transistor does not register, I just want a new trouble free board

Well then it's just a transistor replacement.

#696 9 years ago

Finally gave the playfield on my Space Shuttle some attention today. Installed a new rubber ring kit, replaced burnt bulbs, cleaned everything, and replaced the spinner decals and installed the prototype drop target decals. Very USA!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#697 9 years ago

Looks like a clean machine. Love the drop target stickers, where did ya get them?

#698 9 years ago

Thanks! The playfield has wear/planking but not as bad as some. It's a solid player--love making that bell ring.

Bay Area Amusements has them. Got the spinner decals and rubber kit there too: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DC-159LM

#699 9 years ago

I love mine too. Thanks for the lead.

#700 9 years ago

Im considering putting brite caps on my Space Shuttle. Red, white and blue. I think it would really make it pop as opposed to the standard white ones that it has that are quite opaque and dont really allow the light to shine through well. Any opinions ?

Something like this..

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3336

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.