(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 90.
#451 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I think I have the only Space Shuttle in like 300 miles. This town is so isolated it sucks.
The original speech board says "garbled" on the back, so I had little hope it works. Why? I don't know. Could just be ROMs. The power board was probably fine. However, there's a significant change in -12V at U48 when the game is on - it drops to -20V. To eliminate the possibility of it being power, I bought a Rottendog board and installed it, but no change. I feel better doing that anyway on such an old game, one that is in meh condition. The main CPU board I had was furnished by Ed Cheung and it works great as far as booting, playing, and operation - other than sound. I don't know if he actually checked it or not.
So I'm willing to re-sell the working boards to others if needed. I figure that I'd want that same courtesy if needing a hard to find board. I only paid $500 for the machine, so putting in a few hundred isn't terrible in my opinion to get it working.
Want to drive yours to PA?
On the bright side of things, the backbox looks good.

20141002_191041.jpg 283 KB

Don't forget to add fuses to the 2 rectifier lines. I literally just finished doing that.

#452 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Is there even an aftermarket MPU available for these?

No, and I've contacted rottendog to see if they would and they said there isn't enough demand (only 3 machines used this CPU, so 15k boards at best). You can either ship it to Ed Cheung, bring it to a show like Chicago Expo and let Rob T repair it, or sell it off and let someone else repair it and just buy a refurb from K's arcade.

** edit: this must be recent, but pinballpcb is going to be releasing a brand new system 9-11c MPU board with updated non-obsolete components, this is awesome news!
http://www.pinballpcb.com/System9-11cMainBoard.html

#453 9 years ago

The board was originally serviced by Ed. Did a great job getting the board up and running and playing. But I'm not sure if sound was tested. He says it was. But it doesn't work despite changing out nearly every part that is involved in the sound section.

PinballPCB's page says "updated August 2013". I don't have hope it'll be soon, but it would be fantastic if he did produce it.

I plan on doing the fuses as soon as the game's up and running.

If the process of going to a System 11 is easy enough, then great. i'm fine with that. But even System11 boards are really expensive to begin with. I feel I'm so close I shouldn't give up on the System 9 yet.

#454 9 years ago

that is great news if they do indeed make this board, I need one for my strike zone shuffle alley

#455 9 years ago

IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

Went inspecting why I had -12V at the header pin, but not along the circuit beyond it. Turns out that the header pin connector (the little wire clamp that goes in the hole) was green and broken in two. The pin wasn't actually in full contact with the wire leading to a huge loss of voltage.

I transplanted an unused pin to 1J17pin8 and IT SPEAKS! All sounds work. All speech works. I'm ecstatic! Now to put it all back together and see how it plays!

#456 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

IT WORKS! IT WORKS!
Went inspecting why I had -12V at the header pin, but not along the circuit beyond it. Turns out that the header pin connector (the little wire clamp that goes in the hole) was green and broken in two. The pin wasn't actually in full contact with the wire leading to a huge loss of voltage.
I transplanted an unused pin to 1J17pin8 and IT SPEAKS! All sounds work. All speech works. I'm ecstatic! Now to put it all back together and see how it plays!

#457 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

All sounds work. All speech works. I'm ecstatic! Now to put it all back together and see how it plays!

200[1].gif200[1].gif

#458 9 years ago

I have a flaky airlock clock outlane switch, a flaky A switch, and a non-functional multiball launch switch. I think they just need to be cleaned and adjusted because they all test out in diagnostics. Weak pop bumpers that need to be rebuilt.

It's a non-forgiving game. That left outlane is treacherous.

shuttle-soon_o_137751.jpgshuttle-soon_o_137751.jpg

#459 9 years ago

Any idea what switch I could order for the U-S-A lanes and the right airlock outlane? Seems as if the leaf switches are all mostly the same, but some obviously differ from another.

#460 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Any idea what switch I could order for the U-S-A lanes and the right airlock outlane? Seems as if the leaf switches are all mostly the same, but some obviously differ from another.

If you have some rollover switches that aren't that sensitive, you can try cleaning with a card stock piece of paper between the contacts, pushing the contacts together and moving the paper back and forth. Also try bending them a bit to so they're closer together initially. Sorry, I don't know the correct part number for replacements. You might find it listed in the manual.

#461 9 years ago

I found them listed in the Blue Parts Catalog with associated Williams part numbers, but none of them are in stock anywhere. Not rollovers for the USA lanes, nor the outlane, nor the pop bumper switches!

I've tried cleaning them. They're intermittent during play, but respond perfectly on the DMM. Did Williams use gold contacts on their leafs? It doesn't appear so, but it might be some other plating material that would be removed if I used something more coarse than paper.

#462 9 years ago

Look closely at the contacts, sometimes Williams would assemble them upside down.

#463 9 years ago

Well, had a pop bumper failure which I believe stuck a coil on and blew the 3A fuse. I figured there would be failures. I didn't figure the more common parts would be out of stock though. Blah. I did have a 800,000 point game! Hehe.

#464 9 years ago

Buy blade and contacts at pbr, then make new switches.

#465 9 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Good idea! I'll take a picture once I have some time to try different options.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-793.jpgimage-793.jpg

#466 9 years ago

image.jpg 46 KB

image-793.jpg 37 KB

Looking good. How did you mount it?

#467 9 years ago

I bought the pieces to rebuild the 3 pop bumpers. I chose one red, one white, and one blue skirt for them. I think It'll look neat.

#468 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I bought the pieces to rebuild the 3 pop bumpers. I chose one red, one white, and one blue skirt for them. I think It'll look neat.

I think that will look cool , I didn't think of that when I ordered the parts to rebuild mine, I can tell you that after the new rebuild they are awesome, plays like a new game, good luck with your rebuild

#469 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Looking good. How did you mount it?

image-597.jpgimage-597.jpg
#470 9 years ago

image-597.jpg 119 KB

Awesome! It doesn't get in the way of the gate when the ball is going back down?

#471 9 years ago

Edward cheung, the guy who rebuilt my CPU board, has his space shuttle lit from beneath with pure white LEDs. Looks amazing. Lights up that part of the board significantly. Here's what he did.

done1.jpgdone1.jpg

His complete rebuild can be found here: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/shuttlepin.htm

What bugs me about the lighting on this table is that the entire centre of the playfield is dark, minus the flashers. While playing in a dark room, it's often hard to see the ball when it's there. I may rig up a spot light or two to shine across it a little bit.

#472 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Edward cheung, the guy who rebuilt my CPU board, has his Space Shuttle lit from beneath with pure white LEDs. Looks amazing. Lights up that part of the board significantly. Here's what he did.

His complete rebuild can be found here: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/shuttlepin.htm
What bugs me about the lighting on this table is that the entire centre of the playfield is dark, minus the flashers. While playing in a dark room, it's often hard to see the ball when it's there. I may rig up a spot light or two to shine across it a little bit.

One way we are used to seeing the Space Shuttle is with spotlights on it at nighttime -- I am wondering if mounting some spotlights would work nice. I think Ed's solution looks nice, but I too am always wary of making anything too bright.

I'm there to see the ball, not a BG reflected in the glass, not LED'd flashers, etc...

-mof

#473 9 years ago

I use red LEDs under the Shuttle so it looks like the heat of re-entry.

#474 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I use red LEDs under the Shuttle so it looks like the heat of re-entry.

Pic?

#475 9 years ago

I've posted a pic before, but I don't have one on my phone right now.

#476 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

One way we are used to seeing the Space Shuttle is with spotlights on it at nighttime -- I am wondering if mounting some spotlights would work nice.
-mof

Yup. If anything, this is what I will do, spots from across the playfield. There's a huge glare from the space shuttle backglass on my machine if playing in the dark. If the centre of the playfield was brighter, it might not show as much.

I wish there was more room between the top of the shuttle toy and the glass. There's no rudder on the shuttle afterall! Not a lot of room for customizing the playfield with toys and stuff.

#477 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Edward cheung, the guy who rebuilt my CPU board, has his Space Shuttle lit from beneath with pure white LEDs. Looks amazing. Lights up that part of the board significantly. Here's what he did.

done1.jpg 41 KB

I think for his lit up shuttle he had it recast in something more translucent. I don't think the stock ones or repro ones would light up like that. Could be wrong.

#478 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Down to $999! *grumble* ebay.com link » Awesome Space Shuttle Pinball Playfield Cpr Reproduction Playfield Wow

it did not sell at that price, I am sure if he lowers the price close to the original offering , it probably will sell quickly

#479 9 years ago

I'm in the middle of bringing a shuttle back to life. Thought I'd share this little shooter mod.

20140927_183714.jpg20140927_183714.jpg 20140927_183512.jpg20140927_183512.jpg 20140927_183737.jpg20140927_183737.jpg
#480 9 years ago

that is really cool, did you do that mod yourself?

#481 9 years ago

Yes, it's a die cast metal toy. Corgi "100 years of flight" shuttle toy.
Snipped thrusters off, then drilled a 3/8 hole in rear.
Used a tube of 2 part epoxy (2500lbs strength, 4 bucks at lowes). Put a little epoxy in rear and roll to coat interior or it could leak a little. Once sealed, fill 3/4 and place rod. Hold in position for a few minutes. Once hard, fill rest of way.
Lastly, enjoy as all your friends say how cool it is

#482 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

Yes, it's a die cast metal toy. Corgi "100 years of flight" shuttle toy.
Snipped thrusters off, then drilled a 3/8 hole in rear.
Used a tube of 2 part epoxy (2500lbs strength, 4 bucks at lowes). Put a little epoxy in rear and roll to coat interior or it could leak a little. Once sealed, fill 3/4 and place rod. Hold in position for a few minutes. Once hard, fill rest of way.
Lastly, enjoy as all your friends say how cool it is

added it to the mod list, thanks!

#483 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

I'm in the middle of bringing a shuttle back to life. Thought I'd share this little shooter mod.

Think there's a good way to get that spring behind it to be red so it looks like it's ignited? Not sure if powder coating would be overkill or if the heat would harm the tension in the spring, but maybe some kind of enamel spray?

#484 9 years ago

looks nice but walking by and jabbing that into your hip, or actually using it as a shooter rod looks awkward.

#485 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I think that will look cool , I didn't think of that when I ordered the parts to rebuild mine, I can tell you that after the new rebuild they are awesome, plays like a new game, good luck with your rebuild

60074-i.jpg60074-i.jpg

#486 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

20140927_183714.jpg 130 KB

20140927_183512.jpg 160 KB

20140927_183737.jpg 91 KB

It looks nice but also looks VARY dangerous and an accident waiting to happen.

#487 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

Looks super cool, but your cock is going to pay the price for that one.

#488 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It looks nice but also looks VARY dangerous and an accident waiting to happen.

What!? What the heck are you guys doing in your game rooms? I've got corners on my coffee table, I may need to rethink this whole walking around my house thing.

#489 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

I've got corners on my coffee table, I may need to rethink this whole walking around my house thing.

I tape foam padding on all hard corners around my house.

coffee table.jpgcoffee table.jpg
#490 9 years ago

I can't tell you how many times I've bruised the hell out of my hip on the gun handle for STTNG.

#491 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Looks super cool, but your cock is going to pay the price for that one.

Point taken. I've been married a long time, so no loss there. I'll be the test subject for this, I'll report back in a month or so.

#492 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

I've been married a long time, so no loss there.

lol

#493 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

60074-i.jpg 44 KB

Indeed. I did not think to purchase the interior cone though. Drat. And since the bulbs are soldered through the cone, removing them more than once is something I do not want to do. This looks awesome though.

#494 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

60074-i.jpg 44 KB

looks nice frax, great job!

#495 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Indeed. I did not think to purchase the interior cone though. Drat. And since the bulbs are soldered through the cone, removing them more than once is something I do not want to do. This looks awesome though.

They only sell them in white anyways.

Okay, that's a lie.. PinballCenter sells crystal transluscent colored ones. If you want solid colors, you gotta dye em yourself..

#496 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Looks super cool, but your cock is going to pay the price for that one

I am married to a jewish woman for 20 years, it doesn't get used that often anyway

#497 9 years ago

Finished my LED kit on my space shuttle! Super happy with the results and difference it made to the machine.

image-448.jpgimage-448.jpg image-937.jpgimage-937.jpg
#498 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I tape foam padding on all hard corners around my house.

LOL

coffee table.jpg 38 KB

#499 9 years ago

The LEDs make me jealous. My playfield is so beat up that the LEDs wouldn't do it justice. And I'm not paying the $1000 for that playfield... that apparently is no longer listed on ebay. But the theme of the game begs for LEDs.

#500 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

The LEDs make me jealous. My playfield is so beat up that the LEDs wouldn't do it justice. And I'm not paying the $1000 for that playfield... that apparently is no longer listed on ebay. But the theme of the game begs for LEDs.

It is a shame that you can't find a playfield for a reasonable price. $1000 is ridiculous.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/10?hl=welovescott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.