(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 90.
#1 10 years ago

"Welcome New Astronauts"

I didn't see a "club" for Space Shuttle, so I thought I would start one.

A few good links for Space Shuttle:
operator's guide: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2260
instruction cards: http://www.flippers.info/spaceshuttleinstructioncards.asp
ed cheung: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/shuttlepin.htm

And, great news for the first post: CPR has finally released their backglass for this game! It has been YEARS, but, by the looks of it, it was worth the wait! CPR has released the plastics, playfield, and now the glass.
Link to CPR: http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-backglass.html

As many also know, the shuttle, ramp, decals, cabinet stencils, and even the boards are also available for order from many suppliers, therefor a COMPLETE rebuild can be done on ALL aspects of this title! which is especially awesome considering that this title has been credited for "saving pinball" at one point, and it is also a title that many of us recall playing on location at one point or another.

--Ed LI NY

#2 10 years ago

We'll since I'm the second to post "READY PILOT 2"

Just finished dialing mine in this evening after finishing up the playfield swap I've been dragging out for 4 years.

#3 10 years ago

Pilot 3 reporting for duty i keep appreciating this machine more and more, what a cool playfield design!
CPR backglass looks awesome, but i'm glad my original is in perfect shape.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Just finished dialing mine in this evening after finishing up the playfield swap I've been dragging out for 4 years.

Nice job on the "READY PILOT 2" reference!

#5 10 years ago

I have 2 original back glasses for mine. The new reproductions from CPR look amazing! Now you can get replacements for everything you need on your machine. Let the restoring begin....
Onward....March!!!!
Oops... I mean.....
Ready for Liftoff?

#6 10 years ago

love mine, upgraded ramp entrance switch to modern more reliable design and other upgrades and additives.
Close Air Lock!!!!!!!!!

#7 10 years ago

Here are some handy links to add to the OP up top:

operator's guide: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2260
instruction cards: http://www.flippers.info/spaceshuttleinstructioncards.asp
ed cheung: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/shuttlepin.htm

I think there are some other variants on the instruction cards out there...

Tell us more about your switch entrance mod ! I hate when mine denies the ball. I haven't looked into it yet...

-mof

#8 10 years ago

Has anyone ordered the CPR backglass repro for this title yet? And, if so, what do you think of the repro in-person? The repro looks fantastic in the pics on CPR, but I would also love to hear some info from anyone who has seen it in-person
--Ed

#9 10 years ago

Holy christ, about time, LOL.

I'm making myself a member of this club, even though I don't own my game anymore. I did the CPR swap as well, which as far as I'm concerned, validates anyone to be a permanent member for one of these, and my backglass is on the way.

#10 10 years ago

this is a great game with simple sounds and a ringing bell that keeps you motivated, a machine that chicken george would feel right at home on

#11 10 years ago

Count me in! I have CPR plastics and playfields ready to be installed and I just installed my new CPR Backglass. I did find that the backglass is *slightly* larger than stock, I need to adjust the back box lock cam to fit better.

Can't wait to tear mine down and do a full resto.

#12 10 years ago

I ordered my Repro backglass 7 minutes after the announcement. It's due next week. I'll post my opinion once I receive it.

I also got the (last maybe) Ed Cheung translite. I'll probably sell it once I receive the backglass.

I'm in the middle of my playfield swap. I am loving this game. It was hard to take it out of service to do the swap.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

Count me in! I have CPR plastics and playfields ready to be installed and I just installed my new CPR Backglass. I did find that the backglass is *slightly* larger than stock, I need to adjust the back box lock cam to fit better.
Can't wait to tear mine down and do a full resto.

What do you think about the area around the tail jet? The CPR pictures show an awful lot of blue splotch around that area... I don't remember mine having that, but fade does a lot of funny things over the years...

#14 10 years ago

How about some strategy talk for Space Shuttle? Never played this BITD and it only came on route recently so I only have maybe 12 games on one ever, but I have found that going for the spinner max is the way to go for high scores. I used to go for multiballs, but now it is pretty much spinner all the time. It maxes at 7x for a huge bonus, starts awarding letters on the inlanes which awards more points, gets the air lock lit again, gets you the EB at 7x and your spinner value goes crazy. I had it up to almost 150,000 for a solid spinner shot with the left flipper. When trying for multiballs, I couldn't break 1.5 million. Today, started going for spinner almost exclusively and I put up 5 million within 3 games. Curious to hear how others approach it.

#15 10 years ago

Spinner all day long is the only viable way to get huge scores, IMO.

#16 10 years ago

got my cpr playfield, cpr backglass and my plastic set is brand new also.

will do a full restoration this winter including cabinet in and out, backbox in and out, new stencil and a lot of mods, i'd be busy!.
i'd probably start a thread when ready.

#17 10 years ago

I had to buy a CPR pf and plastics and also a new shuttle ramp for mine. After all that I still need a new bg and stencil kit.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!"

#18 10 years ago

if spinner spins fast with lots of revs, go for it. pends if the machine settings saves the current spinner value from ball to ball as well. its easier to shoot the drops down during multiball so spinner valeu can increase. during multiball i shoot ramp and spinner, i mix it up. my machine plays kinda tuff. everything was rebuilt so brick shots will cost drains.

#20 10 years ago

Glad we got a thread for this great game. I picked mine up a short time ago off craigslist. $150 from a scrapper. I don't think he knew what he had. It defiantly needs a lot of work but I was looking for my first pinball project. Right now I need to get my hands on an mpu to see what all works on this thing.

I'm going for a complete restore on this pin so I'm hoping to see a lot of posts here from others while I work on this machine. Also, if anyone has done any mods, or has idea's for mods, I would love to hear about them. I've got some thoughts for the shuttle on mine.

One last thing. I absolutely love pretty much every aspect of this game. The gameplay, art, features, and sound. The one thing that I can't stand is the music it plays. The sounds are great, it's just that pulsing music that goes up and down while you play. Has anyone ever heard of a way to turn just the music down and leave the sounds up? Is that something that could be edited in the software? I would like to hear anyone else's thoughts on the music.

#21 10 years ago

I did some custom work last summer. Produced a new backglass translight image and a custom plastic for the launch lane. Ordered the new BG, how could one not? http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-custom

#22 10 years ago

Just purchased mine yesterday. It's my first pin so excited to be a member. Has a few issues but nothing too serious. Backglass is nearly perfect. Cabinet is in very good condition. Some wear on the PF but nothing huge. Very happy with it so far.

pinball.jpgpinball.jpg
#23 10 years ago

Just finished the restoration on mine over the last couple of weeks. It's dialed in and playing like a champ.
Looks about as close to NIB as you could get.
- NOS backglass
- New playfield
- New plastics
- Repainted Cabinet
- Buffed and polished metal
- LED's throughout playfield and backbox
- New Shuttle
- New Ramp

Love it!

IMAG0928.jpgIMAG0928.jpg IMAG0923.jpgIMAG0923.jpg IMAG0924.jpgIMAG0924.jpg IMAG0925.jpgIMAG0925.jpg IMAG0926.jpgIMAG0926.jpg IMAG0995.jpgIMAG0995.jpg
#24 10 years ago

nice restoration.

if you have any detail pictures of your restoration please share.

#25 10 years ago

Hey all, just completed my playfield swap!

SS1.jpegSS1.jpeg
#26 10 years ago

ok, i have to ask.

how much would you ask for a full restored space shuttle, i mean everything.
last one i saw (sold), not a full restoration, no restoration on the cab was $2200.

i'm just curious, how much money i'll lose on this.

#27 10 years ago

Just finished the restoration on mine over the last couple of weeks. It's dialed in and playing like a champ.
Looks about as close to NIB as you could get.
- NOS backglass
- New playfield
- New plastics
- Repainted Cabinet
- Buffed and polished metal
- LED's throughout playfield and backbox
- New Shuttle
- New Ramp
Love it!

IMAG0928.jpg 194 KB

IMAG0923.jpg 240 KB

IMAG0924.jpg 217 KB

IMAG0925.jpg 280 KB

IMAG0926.jpg 269 KB

IMAG0995.jpg 207 KB

How did you fit the new ramp, did you have to route the wood under the ramp or do you have a bump under the ramp from it being thicker. I have the new ramp but have not installed it yet since I don't want to route out the wood to make it fit well.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

How did you fit the new ramp, did you have to route the wood under the ramp or do you have a bump under the ramp from it being thicker. I have the new ramp but have not installed it yet since I don't want to route out the wood to make it fit well.

I did not route mine. I took a razor and cut the the specs Vid suggested. I then took a small chisel and worked it very slowly. I was afraid of it kicking out on me and ruining the playfield.
You can see it in this photo.

1212.jpeg1212.jpeg
#29 10 years ago

#30 10 years ago

Craig, know it's a longshot but hope yours makes it to TPF. I'd really like to see one done all the way to see if it's worth me trying to track one back down or not... I never got the repro ramp or shuttle toy, and never got around to trying to get the cabinet redone. Was too busy trying to get that topper mess fixed and then ended up selling to Louis after TPF...

#31 10 years ago

I'm getting ready to do a pf swap out soon, any tips? Ed

#32 10 years ago

Sweet looking games. If I can convince any of you to trade for my CPR playfield and plastics installed Firepower I'd like to join the club!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

As always, take tons of photos. Triple check your orders three times before confirming purchase. Feel free to PM anytime for tips and I will give you my phone number.

And you are actually not too far from me.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Don't drill too far. ;P

#35 10 years ago

Just pulled the trigger on the backglass this morning. I have new plastics, new shuttle and ramps installed in mine, now if I could only find the time (and guts) to swap out my playfield

#36 10 years ago

I took everything off the top then worked on the bottom. Took all the screws out first and popped out all the ground braid staples. Then I dumped it all on a sheet of insulation foam and then dumped that onto the new PF. Reinstalled the bottom then did the top with the game in the cabinet. I did not have to redo the ground braid or solder anything other than the lights for the pop bumpers. Not too bad.

#37 10 years ago

dear fellow shuttle pilots, i have a favor to ask!
when restoring my space shuttle a wire under the playfield came loose and i cannot figure out where it is supposed to be!
It's the light brown wire located in the center section coming from the harness. Since it's not soldered to the correct position my 6 red center lights around the shuttle emblem are always lit! Looks nice but i want to fix this issue.

The right position to solder is probably on one of the free pins, but there are 2 without a wire connected, one on the right and one on the left. Dont want to short anything...

Foto-15.JPGFoto-15.JPG

It would be awesome if someone could help me out with a picture here.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Cheers
Ben

#38 10 years ago

wow, I don't see a place for a missing wire. Here's a quick shot I took to try and match. maybe you can see it. I'll go take better shots of each side and upload them in a minute

20140102_125952.jpg20140102_125952.jpg
#39 10 years ago

ok the coordinates here relate to your pic: (edited: I had right backwards)

Left (top to bottom)
Brown/Black (1 Wire)
Red & Yellow (2 Wires)
Black
Empty
Yellow

Right (top to bottom)
Yellow
Red & Yellow (2 Wires)
Black
Empty
Brown/Red (1 Wire)

#40 10 years ago

My guess is this: Disconnect the brown and green on the lower right and solder it to the post where the green terminates. The solder the brown reg where the brown green was.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

ok, i have to ask.
how much would you ask for a full restored space shuttle, i mean everything.
last one i saw (sold), not a full restoration, no restoration on the cab was $2200.
i'm just curious, how much money i'll lose on this.

You will be lucky if you break even, labor for free. I'm re doing mine because I want to keep it, you hardly ever profit from a swap. Ed

#42 10 years ago

Hi guys!

Wow, surprised to see how many Space Shuttles there are being fully refurbished out there! It really is a special game isn't it

I'm in the middle of my cabinet re-paint myself! Just put down the navy blue today. How long should I wait before putting the stencils on and doing the red? The last thing I want is the stencil pulling up the blue paint.

cabinet-blue-small.jpegcabinet-blue-small.jpeg

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

It really is a special game isn't it

It's only the game that saved pinball....

#44 10 years ago

What kind of paint did you use? Spray or roll on? Looks great! Ed

#45 10 years ago

What kind off nails do you use to put the side rails on with? Can you paint with them on and just tape them up?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

What kind of paint did you use? Spray or roll on? Looks great! Ed

Thanks Ed! I'm using spray paint - to be more specific, that blue is Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x Gloss Navy Blue. I'll be using the same brand and type of paint for the red and white too, Gloss Apple Red and Gloss White, and finally I'll go over everything with Matte Clear to finish it off.

Quoted from Fast-Ed:

What kind off nails do you use to put the side rails on with? Can you paint with them on and just tape them up?

I think you probably could paint the cabinet with the side rails in place, but I suspect you wouldn't get as nice a finish right at the edge of the rail, so I opted to remove them. To re-install them, unless I can find a wood screw with a nice looking truss-like head, I'll probably use twist nails again - hopefully the side rails never need to come off ever again, as they were a huge pain to remove!

#47 10 years ago

I personally kept by cabinet original. Mine is suprisingly good except a few spots but it is kind of neat to have the new and the old mixed together. I might do it later but kind of like the look for now.

#48 10 years ago

Post a couple more pics as you progress, I'm interested to see how it goes as I will be doing the same thing. Ed

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Post a couple more pics as you progress, I'm interested to see how it goes as I will be doing the same thing. Ed

Sure - feel free to follow along on my website, too - I'm usually better about posting updates there http://pinballproject.wordpress.com

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Use spiral nails:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-6505-K

Use a flush cutter to yank the head of the old ones out far enough to grip it with a pair of pliers:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-5-in-Lightweight-Flush-Cutter-D275-5/100647983#

I was hesitant to remove siderails, but honestly it's a good practice. Not only are most nails rusty, but the siderails usually need to be polished, or dents removed, or crud removed from the inside. You'll likely need to pop some toothpicks in the existing holes to give the new nails something to grip on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.