Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8CB1C580-1258-4DE9-B68F-54FA0E6D45F9 (resized).png
1AFD1DFF-1B45-42EC-8BCE-93AA80410F4D (resized).jpeg
5EC0CFE4-B138-47ED-93A6-076BA5C11E55 (resized).jpeg
Test (resized).png
51B87392-83DC-4C24-9175-1D4B1371F7D8 (resized).jpeg
3A7ABE13-C675-4F61-8BE6-35F0A5FA6B37 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

You count pins counter clockwise starting left of the notch.

#6 5 years ago

I will check on this when I get off work in 3 hrs.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

2. Sling scoring does not work on either slings

Lets start with something simple, both switches don't work. Look on the switch matrix page of the manual and both are on the same column and share a green/black wire. Most likely since they both are on the same wire and both don't work, the green/black wire is broken. So you find the closest switch that is on a green/black wire (shooter lane switch) and see if there is continuity between the two switches on the green/black wire. If there is continuity on the green/black wire then test the diodes for each of the kicker switches to see if they are open.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

3. L in shuttle does not score

Does it register in switch test? Check the switch contacts to make sure they are normally open , then push on target and see if contacts close with reasonable pressure, clean the contacts with a crisp dollar bill. Test the diode for an open. And lastly check continuity of each wire color to another switch that has the same color wire for both colors. For example check the green/orange wire to the "S" shuttle switch and white/blue wire to the center stand up switch.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

8. Coils are active in attract mode

Most game coils are active in attract mode, except for special solenoids and flippers. So if your flippers are active in attract mode you need to test U-7 pin 10 with a logic probe, this should be low. If this is low then test the base lead of Q-86, this should be low also. If the base of Q-86 is low then check Q-86 for a short between emitter and collector. If its shorted the replace Q-86. Now if they are highs, then test further upstream (U-58).

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U6 13 should be low, I could not get any reading
U6 12 should be low I got Low
U58 6 should be high, I got low
U6 11 I got Low
U59 9 should be high, I got high
U59 8 should be low, I got Low

So, bad U6 and U58?
U4?

Was the game in attract mode? If it was then it sounds like U-58 pin 6 is shorted to ground.

#11 5 years ago

It could be U-58 or it maybe U-7. One chip drag down another chip that it's connected to. When you don't get a high or a low signal from a chip it can be in between .8-2 volts. This is ignored by the chip but this will still turn on a transistor like Q-86. So maybe its U-7 causing the bad reading on U-58.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

In regards to the L not lighting in shuttle. I found that it is the white/blue wire in 1J10. Instead of reading high like the other switches, it reads low.

If this is true then you would have 6 switches not working. If all 6 switches on the white/blue wire are not working then look to SR16. But if only the L and S are not working it will be a broken wire. You don't say where you took the reading at, if it was pin 7 of 1J10 then its a bad SR16 but if you took the reading on the white/blue wire at the switch then it can be a broken wire.

#16 5 years ago

Find SR16 on the CPU board and check for ohms from pin 1 (should have a white dot) to pin2, it should read @ 560 ohms. Then check from pin 1 to pin 3 and then from pin 1 to pin 4 and so on. all should read 560 ohms. Check ohms with power off.

#17 5 years ago

You also have a break in the green /black switch wire.

2 weeks later
#19 5 years ago

With j-10 disconnected, check the ohms from the white/blue wire to ground. What do you get.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I get 2.3 ohms why/Blu to ground

This is your problem. Look for something shorted to ground.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

One issue resolved! White/Blue was shorted to ground

Making progress!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U58 6 should be high = high

High in attract mode, low when you start a game.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U7 10 should be Low = Low

This should be low in attract mode, high when you start a game.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U6 12 - Low attract, Low in game

Good.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U6 11 - I replaced this one. I can't get a reading in Attract or during game

This should be high in attract and low when you start a game.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U6 13 - Low attract, Low in game (should be high?)

Since pin 11 doesn't change then pin 13 will stay low.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U7 10 - Low in attract, Low in game (should be high?)
U58 6 - high in attract, high in game (should be low?)

These wont change until U-6 pin 11 changes.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Also, U4 pin 19 (by counting counter clockwise from notch) I do not get a reading

This is a problem, this needs to go low when you start a game. There is nothing between U-6 and U-4 that can cause problems so its got to be one chip or the other.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Replaced U-4 and flippers and special coils are back!

Your almost there!

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I’m thinking it may be easier to find the green/black wire issue with the playfield out on the rotisserie, what do you think?

I would want the pin 100% before the hard top.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Now, sound. Where do I start? With the board unplugged, I hear faint music. I assume this is coming from the sound rom on the main board. Maybe the amplifier is shot?

Might be the main amp or a preamp. Not so easy to test without a O scope. You can use mine if you want to. You might try an old pair of cheap phone headphones with high impedance like @ 64 ohms. You could get a 1/8 inch stereo extension cord and cut the male end off and connect the ground wire to the speaker ground, take one of the speaker positive leads and connect it to a metal probe for testing chip leads. Connect the head phones to the extension test cord and test the preamp output by listening to the sound volume level. You can test filter caps by checking for sound on each side of the cap.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

So, this points to the sound board as the issue.

Did you find a good ribbon cable?

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I'm not getting any reading on the center lead of the transistor (get high on the others). I replaced the transistor and still get no results. What am I missing?

Is this the center lead of Q-84 or Q-85?

#38 5 years ago

Ok then you don't have voltage on the coil or the coil winding is broken and lastly the wire from the coil to the cpu could be broken or a cracked header pin for this wire at the cpu.

#41 5 years ago

You need to have 29 volts on both wires on the coil.

#43 5 years ago

Then there is a break in the blue wire between the coil and the CPU. Check the molex connector under the back box.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Replace the 2N4401 again?

No, start by using a jumper connected to the ground braid. Briefly touch the other end to the coil blue wire. Does the coil fire? Yes, then touch jumper to Q-85 metal tab. Does it fire now?

#48 5 years ago

This not caused by the tip. There is a trace that connects the tip to the header pins. You can also find the correct blue wire on the IDC connector and use the jumper there to see if the rest of the wiring is good. If coil fires then board issue if it doesn't fire then there is a break in the blue wire.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

So if I desolder the power wire on the right jet bumper I can isolate the blue wire on that coil for continuity testing, right?

Correct.

#52 5 years ago

Nice find on the molex connector. So close now!
Im stuck at work for a couple more hours, but will check it over when I get home.

#54 5 years ago

I got nothing. Can't find a schematic for the sound board.

#56 5 years ago

Is your ribbon cable good? Are you getting -12 volts to the sound board? Are you getting 5 volts to the sound board?

#58 5 years ago

I found a sound board schematic for Comet, it should be the same as SS. Find U-2 pin 4, should have -12 volts. U-2 pin 8 should be 5 volts. Check for ground by putting red lead on U-6 pin 24 and black lead on U-6 pin 12, meter should read 5 volts. Then check U-1 pin 9 and 12 with logic probe, I think they should be pulsing.

#60 5 years ago

All test were to be done on the sound board. Use page 25 of the Comet manual.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I'm back from my last fishing trip.

Damm how many fishing trips do you get!

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

U-6 doesn't have a rom in it. That is needed to do you the last test you suggested, right?

Then try this same test on U-4 or U-5. Just making sure all the proper voltages are there.

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

On U1 pin 9 I get Low. Pin 12 High.

I think you may need it to be in sound test first. Try it again is test.

#64 5 years ago

What chip number are the sound board Rom chips? Also which jumpers are installed on the sound board? When sound #7 works is it the correct volume and can you adjust it with the cabinet volume pot?

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Here's a pic of the original soundboard

There are no jumpers on the original board because at the time of manufacture there was only the one type (2532 EPROM) of Rom chip. Now there are also 2732 EPROM chips now. Your new board should have 2 jumpers on it. Did you use the originals chips in the new board? If so did you set the 2 jumpers for the older style chips?

Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

What does delete w10&w11 from the manual mean?

Jumper 10 is installed when you want to run a game without an external sound board or as a test to bypass the external sound board. W-11/W-12 I believe is for differ types of game Rom types.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-coil-sound-and-scoring-issues?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.