(Topic ID: 126865)

Space shuttle #63 backbox lights--when should they light?

By smailskid

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image-608.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smailskid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

The four larger #63 lights have never come on during game play. They have tested good with a meter.

I have looked at At the manual/schematics for awhile trying to cypher it but I am not really great at that yet. If you could point me to the circuit and places to check with a meter I would appreciate it.

But before that.....when should they come on? Maybe all is well and I have not achieved game conditions that would trigger them to light.

Thanks for all of the help.

#3 8 years ago

Yes those are the bulbs I am referring to.

I am not in front of the game at the moment but I am almost positive there are no diodes installed currently on theses lamps in my game. I remember that because I thought it odd that there where none. The circuit did not seem complete on visual inspection.

Anyone have photos of a backbox on how this is wired, and/or schematics?

Correct diodes to purchase?

Thanks for the help

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply grumpy.

Right now I do not have working displays (missing -100v. I am trying to trouble shoot as many problems as I can as far as I can so I can make fewer orders.... Try to keep the shipping costs down)..so testing from diagnostics is out.

I jumped the metal tab on Q59 to ground and nothing happened.

Here is a photo of the area and some of the schematic for the flash lamp connections.

Appreciate any thoughts

image.jpgimage.jpg image-608.jpgimage-608.jpg
#7 8 years ago

34vdc at red tested to braid. Ground tested good as well......34vdc red to black.

.1-.2ohms (very close to zero) brown/blue to tab on Q59

Both longer resistors tested about 5 ohms but both 330ohm resistors tested out at 166 ohms. It would appear that these are likely the problem. Is it common that they would both ohm out at a similar value?

#9 8 years ago

They did light briefly but one of the bulbs in the pair blew when jumping brown/blue to black.

Thoughts?

#11 8 years ago

I dont hAve four of these bulbs currently

Do u think they would sell. This or an acceptable bulb at an auto parts store? Any other big box or electronic store that may sell a bulb that would work?

#13 8 years ago

Looks like auto parts stores and maybe walmart should carry them. A run there should get me by until i can place an order.
I will report back with my findings.

#14 8 years ago

Hmm. Even though the bulbs I originally had tested good using continuity test,I must have had a cracked filament that was NOT good. The reason I say this is because the replacement bulbs all lit when brown/blue was shorted to black. BUT when Q59 was shorted to ground they lit again. This did NOT happen at my initial test.

Grumpy you said this indicates a MPU problem that I would like help trouble shooting ..but I don not fully understand this circuit and I would like to understand it as much as fix it.

could you also give me a few sentences what is happening electrically in this photo? The power comes in at red and travels to two lights. The other two lights seem to get power from brown-blu?, function of brown-blu wire?, grounds do not seem to daisy chain around? Functions of the two sets of resistors? Total newb questions but whatever got to start somewhere. Hopefully I will learn enough to help someone in the future

image.jpgimage.jpg

#15 8 years ago

While we are at it recommendations on a logic probe? Looks like I will need one

#16 8 years ago

So after all that it looks like it was bad bulbs. I have played a few games. They work now....No doubt.

Wow. I tested the original lamps with a meter and all had continuity. I would have had to have TWO flaky filaments to test good but really not be. Possible, but I don't know...I would not have suspected it.

If grumpy or someone could take a few minutes and Answer the questions regarding the cicuit that i posted above I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#18 8 years ago

Just continuity. Obviously this is wrong. What should they ohm out for future reference?

#21 8 years ago

I got it it. Thanks for the walk through.

Well this turned out to be largely an academic exercise but I appreciate the help. We will mark this resolved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smailskid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-4-63-backbox-lights-help-troubleshoot?tu=smailskid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.