• Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5847 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I am having two issues with my space shuttle pin.

1st..there is this annoying buzz/hum coming from the back box all of the sudden..its constant...short video of it:

2nd...this is one thats been driving me crazy since i got the pin. The kickers, MAINLY the right one, keeps kicking repeatedly after activated. In the beginning it was only the right one and kept blowing the fuse when the piston arm would kick out and freeze. I replaced the solenoid and it stopped the fuse from blowing but the rapid kick was still there...it did freeze up once on me but i was able to turn game off before fuse blew.

I then took the transistors on the main pcb associated with the solenoids and removed the one for the right kicker and the game played with zero problems (minus the use of right kicker)..no fuse blowing or anything...so i then swapped the transistor positions thinking where ever this new transistor was placed it would make that solenoid go bonkers...it did not and the right kicker still went bonkers. I tested all the transistors and resistors in every bank of those transistors on the main pcb..they all checked in perfect.

So then the latest move was to replace the 22uf 25 volt caps on each kicker leaf switch, which i did today and now both kickers are going bonkers when activated though i must point out the left kicker works normal 95% of the time and when it doesdo a rapid kick its only one or two....the right kicker however is has a mind of its own.

I been dealing with this right kicker deal for months and still no resolution. The resistors on the leaf switches are good also.

A short vid of the right kicker:

I appreciate any help you can give me!

#2 6 years ago

For the hum, that's likely dirty power migrating into the sound system. Some possible causes:. wer supply ripple. (Get a DMM/votmeter and measure AC on the DC power supply voltage rails). Poor grounds (often in cabling or connectors, so repin those.) Failing caps in the sound system supply. Power wiring too close to sound signal wiring.

For the slings, if they are rapid firing try removing the slings rubber and then activate switches by hand. Most common cause is mis adjusted switches activating repeatedly.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

For the hum, that's likely dirty power migrating into the sound system. Some possible causes:. wer supply ripple. (Get a DMM/votmeter and measure AC on the DC power supply voltage rails). Poor grounds (often in cabling or connectors, so repin those.) Failing caps in the sound system supply. Power wiring too close to sound signal wiring.
For the slings, if they are rapid firing try removing the slings rubber and then activate switches by hand. Most common cause is mis adjusted switches activating repeatedly.

You are right about the kicker..i took rubber ring off...activated each switch by itself and then both at same time and that kicker only kicked once everytime! So is the fix to put an even bigger gap in the leaf switches? Wouldn’t too wide of a gap cause less kicks? Because i have a pretty wide gap there now thinking in the past that was the issue.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That humming buzz seems to be connectors ij18 and ij19...if i pry them forward the buzz goes away...so i guess now i have to get new molex connectors for those two. I did reflow the headers of those connectors...didnt help one bit.

#5 6 years ago

Sometimes it's slight difference in the spring of the rubber and it just bounces back enough to activate the switches again. Can happen when putting new rubber on, sometimes the wrong rubber, or even different manufactures of rings....long story short, widen the gap. If the switches are too worn out, sometimes they need to be replaced.

Reflowing the headers pins will only fix cracked pins. It won't cure the oxidation. The female side crimp pins also need to be clean, but more importantly new pins provide a nice tight seal against the headers. Using Trifurcin pins is recommend for better vibration resistance.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Sometimes it's slight difference in the spring of the rubber and it just bounces back enough to activate the switches again. Can happen when putting new rubber on, sometimes the wrong rubber, or even different manufactures of rings....long story short, widen the gap. If the switches are too worn out, sometimes they need to be replaced.
Reflowing the headers pins will only fix cracked pins. It won't cure the oxidation. The female side crimp pins also need to be clean, but more importantly new pins provide a nice tight seal against the headers. Using Trifurcin pins is recommend for better vibration resistance.

So i should change the molex connectors AND pin jacks?

#7 6 years ago

I have a similar issue with mine. Thinking there's a problem with the wiring.

IMG_5847 (resized).JPGIMG_5847 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

So i should change the molex connectors AND pin jacks?

Definitely for power supply high voltage and ground pins, and the GI pins, those get replaced. For the rest of the data and signal pins if they are clean and shiny it's usually fine to just wipe them down. I use Deoxit sprayed on a coffee filter and wrap it around each pin.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Dear lord....

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-2-issuesconstant-buzz-from-back-box-kicker-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.