(Topic ID: 275143)

Space Riders (Atari) - Sound Issues (low volume)

By MaxAsh

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rapid_Roy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello All - picked up a nice Space Riders recently, and I've been working on getting it up and running. After some work and repairs, the game is now playing, displays working, and I'm getting close to having things in order. One of my remaining issues is sound-related.

If I listen closely, I can very faintly hear the in game sounds (scoring, bonus count down after drain, etc). Adjusting the volume pot (near the coin door and on the Aux board) seem to have zero effect. Has anyone run into this issue before? I am unfamiliar with Atari boards, so suggestions are welcome.

The Aux board has never been recapped from what I can tell. The game sat unplayed for over 20 years.

#2 3 years ago

Small update - Turned the game on this morning and the sounds appear to be gone now. Originally I had no sound, but after cleaning the edge connectors on the Aux board and reseating the connectors, I had the very faint sounds noted above. So it seems like the sounds might be getting generator from the main PCB just fine, but the output or volume is non-existent or low? Not sure.

#3 3 years ago

Bump... Anyone have any suggestions? Since I can very faintly hear the sounds, and the volume pot doesn't seem to do anything (not even make the speaker hum or crackle when adjusted), I thought perhaps it might be the issue. Could I bypass it and go direct to the speaker to see if that affects anything?

3 weeks later
#4 3 years ago

Update... still looking for advice on this one. I removed and checked both the on-board and remote volume pots, and both are in working order. With both of them cranked all the way to their maximum, I can hear all of the game sounds, but it's definitely too quiet to really be heard during gameplay. Maybe 5-10% volume at best.

Since all of the sounds are clearly working, I would think that rules out the main board. I'm thinking something from the Amplification side of things, which I believe is on the Aux board. Does anyone have knowledge on this? I'm not sure where to go, and am unfamiliar with Atari's digital-to-analog methods.

Suggestions welcome! This is the very last issue with the game, I would love to get it solved.

#5 3 years ago

If you haven't done it already: at first I would replace the electrolytic capacitors involved in the audio circuitry at the aux board.

Check for the presence of the 20V, 16V and 13.6V -> voltages required for the D/A and audio amp circuitry. Check R11 (100 Ohm) if the 13.6V is missing and also the 2 6V8 zenerdiodes. If these are ok, you can check the LM380 Amplifier by making you finger a bit wet and touching its pins. If you hear a loud hum, it is probably ok.

After this focus around the D/A converter Atari created with the 741 OpAmp. They are mixing 2 4bit Digital signals into an audio signal via R/2R ladder dividers.

Both 4 bit signals are buffered by non inverting 7407 buffers and are passing R/2R resistor dividers. At one side the R/2R dividers are switched by a 4016 CMOS bilateral switch.

Without an oscilloscope it is hard to troubleshoot here. If you have a Logic probe you can check the signals at the 7407 buffers. When just shotgunning components I would start with the 741 if voltages and the LM380 are okay. And be sure the signals form the latches are present ($1084 bit 0-3).

#6 3 years ago

MarAlb A lot to work with there, I really appreciate the response! I'll start looking at all of that and reply back with any questions or results. Going to bribe a friend with some beers and take a look soon. Thank you!

2 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

Hi Max, among a few other issues, I'm having the same faint sound issue with the Space Riders I just picked up. Very faint sound. Pot adjustment does nothing but quiet the sound all together. Did you resolve your issue yet? I will try and follow the instructions from Maralb but I only have a multimeter. Perhaps you can share what you did and I can try the same...thanks kindly!

Fixed so far: Missing segments from the third player plasma display. Replaced two transistors a q12 and q14 and now I have 8888888's across the board very thrilled by this! Replacing 3 of 4 UNL2003 ICs in row A at J1. Some Zero readings on a few legs. Game goes into attract mode, credits up and plays.

Issues: 1. Faint sound as mentioned above.
2. Some end of ball bonus lamps glow brighter then they should when not in use or triggered. I realize Atari set up their circuit board so that all lamps have some power and stay warm but these are glowing at about 30% when not supposed to be active. The glow should be very faint and not visible thru the inserts.
3. No power to the Y in CITY (right outlane) bulb is fine, new socket, fresh solder. All letters are lit at game start but this one never comes on. Multimeter shows no power at lamp base. I've looked at schematic but I'm not a genius.
Any assistance you or anyone can render would be fantastic! Thank you in advance!

#8 3 years ago

No I haven't sorted out The sound issue just yet. I picked up the cap kit for it and a replacement op amp to see if that would help. I haven't had a chance to do it.

I will hopefully do that in the near future, but I do have the game up for sale as well. If it gets bought before I get a chance to fix it, I'll include all that stuff with it, but otherwise I hope to install it and see if that helps.

#9 3 years ago

I just solved my low Volume problem on the Atari space Riders. I didn't realize but if you look on the auxiliary board on the side of the cabinet there is a small blue potentiometer/trimmer that is the master Volume control. As soon as I turned it, a lot of crunchiness came out of the speaker! Obviously the pot is dirty so if you spin it back and forth a few dozen times you should be able to get enough of the crud off so that you have volume again. I'm not sure if you checked this before but my volume came on immediately, full blast. Dirty volume pot.

#10 3 years ago

Sadly I checked that and it wasn't the problem. Wish it was though! Glad you got yours fixed. Still need to figure out mine!

#11 3 years ago

The lm380 chip that is to the left of the pot is the amplifer, check pins for any cold solder joints

6 months later
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

No I haven't sorted out The sound issue just yet. I picked up the cap kit for it and a replacement op amp to see if that would help. I haven't had a chance to do it.
I will hopefully do that in the near future, but I do have the game up for sale as well. If it gets bought before I get a chance to fix it, I'll include all that stuff with it, but otherwise I hope to install it and see if that helps.

Hi,

Have you sold this machine? If not, I may be interested.

Thanks,

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-riders-atari-sound-issues-low-volume?hl=maxash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.