• Latest reply 1 year ago by tankbot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4899895E-3420-44DB-8F90-B1B33A7B49AB (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Looking to pick up my first pin, and saw a Space Riders machine for $350 obo. Owner said it’s missing the aux board and hasn’t answered much of my other questions about it’s condition. I know here on pinside average selling price was $650 or something, but is that too high considering the missing board?

Other questions I had regarding the machine:
How hard is it to find a replacement aux for this table, and how hard is it to service atari machines? I’ve have decent experience in electronics & soldering and don’t mind doing the research, but would an earlier EM be a better project for my first pin? Thanks!

4899895E-3420-44DB-8F90-B1B33A7B49AB (resized).jpeg4899895E-3420-44DB-8F90-B1B33A7B49AB (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

Run…

#3 1 year ago

I would leave it if I were you. Atari games do not have near as much documentation on what to do when things go wrong.

Plus in my opinion, even when fully working, these Atari games arent as much fun as most of the others. Try to find a Bally, Williams, Stern, Gottlieb. Then use Pinwiki to track down problems when they arise.

#4 1 year ago

Atari boards are VERY hard to find. It’s going to be a challenge to get that missing AUX board. Only 2 people work on the boards if any of them have issues. A gentleman in Texas and John’s Jukes in Canada. If displays are bad, you are out of luck.

Buy a Williams, Bally, or Gottlieb for a first game and you will be in good shape.

#5 1 year ago

I had seen that machine for sale as well and did some research trying to find boards and displays and came up with absolutely nothing..

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from TiltingT:

I had seen that machine for sale as well and did some research trying to find boards and displays and came up with absolutely nothing..

ebay.com link: itm

Expect to spend another $150 getting that board fixed

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for the info guys, I’ll be staying FAR away from atari and look into getting a Bally, Williams, or Gottlieb as my first.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

ebay.com link: itm
Expect to spend another $150 getting that board fixed

Saw that on ebay too, but was skeptical about condition and would have just been more money down the drain for a newbie.

#9 1 year ago

Would someone be able to share the link to the Space Riders game above?

#10 1 year ago

Kinda weird but i got an atari middle earth as my first pin.

NOT WORKING.

I got it to get the GI on, and eventually traced out a wire to the coindoor that got it to boot. It has leds, some pretty stuff to it, the backglass is wild and of the era of comics i remember as a kid.

It's my first pin and now i have gone through most of the eras from em to ss and then sys11, de, wpc, whitestar and now i have a jp pro in my line up.

Atari are simple games but the weird pf on middle earth is a unique draw.

#11 1 year ago

Got the link on CL, thanks gentlemen. I remember this game back at the arcade in the same corner as Close Encounters and a video game called "Asteroids".

I was looking at the classifieds on Kijiji in Canada, some deals on there, in case of interest.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-riders-as-first-pin-amp-other-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.