Space Odyssey won't start a game *got it!*

By yzfguy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I would first like to confess that my primary love lies with my 90s games, which led me to overfilling my space and forced SO out into the garage. It was fully working the past few years, and I play at least a few games a month in an attempt to keep the contacts working well.

Today it was kinda warm out, so while spending some time in the garage, I played a game. Went to start asecond game and nothing. Lights are all still on, just no game starting. I made sure I wasn't out of credits ( I leave the back off and reach around spinning the credit wheel every 30 games).
I cleaned the contacts by pressing a business card in between and pulling it out. Did that on the start button contacts and the contacts associated with the score reel. Checked fuses. I reseated every jones connector. I stared in wonder as I drank a beer and even THAT didn't fix it!
Any simple things I might be missing, or did I foul everything up by neglecting her in a garage?
Thanks for any ideas.

#2 10 years ago

Check contacts on credit wheel.

#3 10 years ago

She's mad at you for putting her in the garage.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Check contacts on credit wheel.

oops....credit wheel is what I checked...mistakenly said score reel. and yes....I deserve a little attitude for putting her out there

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

She's mad at you for putting her in the garage.

Hey now. whats wrong with the Garage

--Jeff

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Hey now. whats wrong with the Garage
--Jeff

lol...well a garage in jersey has a bit more temperature fluctuation

#7 10 years ago

My god, it's full of stars

#8 10 years ago

??

just went out and looked around a little and realized that the swinging target, usually operating in "attract mode", isn't swinging either. I removed and tested fuses again. Is there some kind of link between the swi ging target and credit wheel?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

??
just went out and looked around a little and realized that the swinging target, usually operating in "attract mode", isn't swinging either. I removed and tested fuses again. Is there some kind of link between the swi ging target and credit wheel?

The swinging target should only be moving during a game, not in attract mode. At least it's like that in my Space Mission.

Jason

#10 10 years ago

thanks, I must have been mistaken. I guess I am overthinking a little.

#11 10 years ago

I was thinking about this...lying awake at 3 am last night....and thought maybe the contact was cruddy that senses the ball under the apron and that wouldnt allow a game to start. Nope, that wasn't it.
So I was thinking: If I remember correctly, the game should reset the reels and make the "I'm getting ready" sounds just by powering up, right? Or does it wait til the start button is pushed? I have played hundreds of games on her, but now I can't remember. S.O. is my only old school game and obviously I am not very familiar with the inner workings. I actually found another fuse mounted underneath the playfield and got excited but it tested fine. sigh.

#12 10 years ago

The start-up sequence commences with the start button, and not just powering on.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

The start-up sequence commences with the start button, and not just powering on.

Thanks. Every little bit helps. This is driving me nuts because I am afraid to do too much for fear of screwing something else up.

#14 10 years ago

I had an issue like that before, I know you can raise the playfield power up the machine and manually trip the reset coil to see if that will reset it. when my game wouldn't reset I was puzzled and saw the coil for reset and tripped it and the game reset. So I thought it was the start button tested it, it wasn't that then I checked the credit stepper found a loose connection fixed it and the game started to reset by pushing the start button., Good luck with it

#15 10 years ago

Thanks. I am not sure which is the reset coil...is it easy to explain it's location? On bottom of cabinet, right? I see lots of labels but not a "reset" label....

#16 10 years ago

mine was marked reset on my bally game its on the bottom right side I figured yours we be labeled that's a bummer keep looking or see if you can find a schematic for your game online

#17 10 years ago

On my '76 williams, it's on the bottom of cabinet - right side - 4th one back from the coin door.

#18 10 years ago

awesome, gonna go check!

#19 10 years ago

Thank you guys so much. All I did was manually activate a few of those coils and she is working. My family simultaneously rolled their eyes at me as I came upstairs and yelled "SPACE ODYSSEY BACK IN SERVICE"!
I appreciate the help

#20 10 years ago

Great, glad you got it. glad we could help.

#21 10 years ago

Always good to see when a game is fixed brings closure

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-wont-start-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.