0Space-Odyssey-SP-Mi-Info-02a (resized).jpg
0Space-Odyssey-Sh-La-Info-01 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture1 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hi all,
I recently found a SO that had many problems and didn't play at all. After finally getting credits to function, swing target to function, l&r rollover switches to work, spinner to work, bonus unit to step up, player 1&2 to function and 100 point relay to operate, phewww, it all works EXCEPT..... after getting the setup in place for an extra ball, roll over centre lane and extra relay pulls in. That ball continues to play fine and extra ball relay stays in. Next ball upon point score, the extra ball relay drops out but the ball index relay doesn't pull in. Can keep playing and scoring but when that ball drains the bonus doesn't score while stepping down and ball doesn't count up, resulting in same player playing again. Sometimes the next ball will do the same thing, other times ball index pulls in as normal. This happens with either 100 or 1000 point rollover switches ie sometimes it will work on either and I can't seem to find a consistent way to make this happen. Another thing which also makes sense but if you happen to get the ball through the spinner in the faulty mode, the machine tilts but doesn't do below.
If you don't tilt the free ball and drain it, the get extra ball to pull in again, operating the spinner resets the extra ball relay before it tilts from the rollover.
If I don't make an extra ball through a game, it all works as it should through to game over.

I have schematics and the manual but am kind of new to this but despite many hours spent on it, (or should I say weeks) I just cant work out why this is happening and think I may be looking at symptoms and not the cause. Frustrating but exciting. I keep thinking here it is, try something and no difference.

OK one other thing, the bonus unit steps up to 3000 not 1000 at start up. How can that happen?

Finger crossed someone can shed some light.

#2 4 years ago

On the bonus issue first make sure that it is resetting all the way to zero position. There is a switch on the score motor 3A and another on the outhole relay that pulses the step up on the bonus unit for that first 1000. Check that either of those aren't opening enough.

#3 4 years ago

yes it goes all the way to zero (no bonus light on) the pulses up 3 times

#4 4 years ago

*then

#5 4 years ago

So the question is: Does the score motor do 3 cycles (1 1/2 rotations) before the ball is ready to plunge?

So when the bonus unit hits the zero position the bonus relay should drop out. If it doesn't then a switch on the bonus unit needs to be adjusted. Then the outhole relay is energized. At this point the bonus unit should step once and the shooter coil should fire in the same half rotation of the score motor. Does the ball shooter pulse 3 times as well?

Looking at the schematic the bonus step up should pulse right before the shooter coil. Bonus step up is on 3A and Shooter coil is 4C. Cam 4 is 1 position after cam 3 in the timing.pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 4 years ago

Cheers mate. I will have another look at it and let you know how I go.

#7 4 years ago

Hi Cheddar,

Rookie mistake. Should have just concentrated on startup sequence from the beginning. RWY wire was attached to the swing target and advance relay side of the coil. This machine had a heap of oddities like that. Someone has "fiddled" with a lot however that solved the extra ball issue as well . Now have a 100% working machine. Note to self, get startup working 100% before chasing any other "problems"
All best!!

#8 4 years ago

Ok spoke too soon. So the bonus unit stepping up too far is corrected. Had a RYW wire on one side of the coil and the RYW link to the ball release coil on the other. Needed a bit of adjustment on the EOS switch as that was really close and when the bonus unit stepped up from zero, it moved the switch momentarily making it step twice instead of once, and the third pulse was coming from the ball release when that was activated.

I still have an oddity coming up with the ball index relay. On the first ball, index relay pulls in if it goes through any lane for 100 point or 1000 point but if it scores 5000 points the ball index relay doesn't pull in. When the change relay is activated the l&r rollover lights are active, this gives the swing target value if you roll over either of them. The 1000 point line works ok, it is just the case if one of the 5000 point lights are lit. I am confused as the 1000 point score pulls it in no worries and the 5000 score is just 5 pulses of the 1000 point line so any help on this will be much appreciated.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Outrunner43:

but if it scores 5000 points the ball index relay doesn't pull in.

You do have a 5000 pt relay.

Capture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#10 4 years ago

Yes I have that, but doesn't that just hold open and pulse the 1000 point relay 5 times before it drops out? What I don't understand is why the ball index works for 1000 points but not for 5x 1000 points.

#11 4 years ago

Circuit for the 5000 cuts out before the Ball Index.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#12 4 years ago

Hi currieddog, I must be still missing something. I am new to this so apologies if this seems obvious. The diagram above all works, the grey-w-4 wire is the 1000pt side of the equation. Above that there is a wire that hooks on to 4 spots (5000 points) of the swing target unit, operated by the swing target eos switch and that seems to be the issue, or at least the point where things go wrong. Just cant seem to work out why. according to the circuit, the ball index should pull in whether the 10pt, 100pt or 1000pt relay is operated and it does mostly, just not on that line. Appreciate your perseverance and patience with me.

#13 4 years ago

Is Impulse-D on the score motor clean and making good contact? It's at the beginning of the circuit into the 1000 in the snippet above.
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#14 4 years ago

Hi Outrunner43
great - You have the schematics and the manual of Space Odyssey.
I do have a theory --- see the bottom of the first JPG, marked "red" - a broken connection. See the lower right corner in the second JPG, "encircled red rivets named '1' ". Inside the Bonus-Unit a connecting wire has broken. Having one bonus: The 100-Point-Relay makes the Ball-Index-Relay to pull-in --- having two bonus: Not functioning.
Ask a friend to help --- You wear rubber gloves (Safety Reasons - electricity can kill people). Get the pin ready for "fault will happen" - but You take out the (first) ball given, You lift the playfield, hold a piece of wire*** like "my green curved line in the second JPG" --- NOW Your friend manipulates on the playfield "ball rolls through a lane worth 5000 points" - big question (as You were holding the wire*** connecting): Does the Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in ?

a piece of wire***: Or You use a Jumper-Wire clipping-on --- but please: Hold the piece of wire to / clip-on a Jumper-Wire AFTER the pin has started / resetted / kicked-out the (first) ball. Greetings Rolf
P.S.: A theory may be proven right --- or the theory may be proven wrong.

0Space-Odyssey-Sh-La-Info-01 (resized).jpg0Space-Odyssey-Sh-La-Info-01 (resized).jpg0Space-Odyssey-SP-Mi-Info-02a (resized).jpg0Space-Odyssey-SP-Mi-Info-02a (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago

Do all the bonus lamps work correctly?

#16 4 years ago

Thank you so much Rolf!! You are truely the master. I didn't really understand the ball index circuit as drawn in the schematic but neglected to look in the manual to see if I could make sense. Dry solder joint on the second contact position was the issue. Theory proven correct!! Thanks to your theory and diagrams I was able to locate and repair the problem.
Kind regards

4 months later
#17 4 years ago

Can anyone here help me with my Space Odyssey? My Player One score reel doesn't register in the 1,000 position, so after 900, the score just cycles from 0 to 900. I've tried replacing that solenoid, but then I blew a fuse and now really need a list of what fuses go in which positions, since the markings are worn off. I love the game, but it's been down for a while. Any help would be much appreciated.

#18 4 years ago

1) A new topic will get better responses because the experts on here won't have to wade through the previous unrelated posts.

2)

Quoted from magickeys:Player One score reel doesn't register in the 1,000 position, so after 900, the score just cycles from 0 to 900

You mean from 900 to 0, right? If the 1000 Point relay doesn't activate when this happens, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires, especially the indicated switch on the 1st player 100 point score unit
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

3)

Quoted from magickeys:replacing that solenoid, but then I blew a fuse

If the new solenoid has a diode across its terminals, clip that off. Also, your old solenoid coil is fine so keep it as a spare.

4)

Quoted from magickeys:need a list of what fuses go in which positions

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-problem?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.