Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SteveFury
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just when you think everything is good....my Space Odyssey plays ball #2 twice (in one player mode) and then goes to ball 3,4 and 5 as it should.It is only ball #2 that gets played twice. I checked and cleaned the stepper but no luck. What is even stranger is when it is in 2 player mode it does not have this issue and goes through the ball sequence on both players as it should.

Any help would be appreciated......

TIA,

JHawk

#2 11 years ago

Does it do this when the game is set to 3 ball? Is the player unit also clean?

do you happen to have an pdf Schematic?

Let me go take a peek at mine...

#3 11 years ago

Thanks way2ward. Game is set on 5 ball. I'll recheck the player unit as well. Sorry no schematic....

Thanks!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Is the player unit also clean?

Go with what way2wyrd said and make sure there the unit is clean (coil sleeves too), not binding, and the spring tension is good.

Ken

#5 11 years ago

Just for heck's sake, I'd also check the extra ball relay.

If anyone would like a *very high quality* photo-shopped schematic scan of the Space Mission, the 4-player version of this Space Odyssey send me a PM with your email. I've reduced the file size to under 5mb.

#6 11 years ago

Assuming the stepper you've cleaned/checked is the ball count unit, if your 2 player machine has a coin unit, be sure to clean the disk contacts on it as well, along with verifying proper mechanical operation.

#7 11 years ago

Sounds like spring tension to me also (too tight?)Or one of the stepper fingers might be a little tweaked?

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:Go with what way2wyrd said and make sure there the unit is clean (coil sleeves too), not binding, and the spring tension is good.
Ken

#8 11 years ago

I rechecked the ball count stepper unit.....it seems to be working fine. But now the machine replays ball #4 twice and won't let me add player #2.

I'm new at this so where do I go from here....coin unit?...extra ball unit?....player unit? (I'm not certain exactly where that is).

TIA,

JHawk

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from JHawk1970:

I rechecked the ball count stepper unit.....it seems to be working fine. But now the machine replays ball #4 twice and won't let me add player #2.
I'm new at this so where do I go from here....coin unit?...extra ball unit?....player unit? (I'm not certain exactly where that is).
TIA,
JHawk

Did you manually step through your ball count unit? Did it still stay on ball #4 twice?

#10 11 years ago

As a rule, the stepper units stick due to old oil died or if someone has used WD40 on them. Take it apart and clean. Remember to count the number of turns on the centre spring. Replace the sleeves in the coils and it will be like new. Only oil metal on metal surfaces. You don’t need to un solder any wires.

#11 11 years ago

Thank you all. I re-cleaned the ball count stepper unit and also the player unit and now everything works fine.

I love these EM machines......there is a mystery about each one of them.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from JHawk1970:

Thank you all. I re-cleaned the ball count stepper unit and also the player unit and now everything works fine.

Awesome!

I'm a bit late finding this thread, but am always happy to see someone getting another Space Odyssey or Space Mission put back together and working.

#14 11 years ago

Yaay! I'm glad you got it working!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-plays-ball-2-twice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.