New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 247781)

Space Odyssey/Mission Club!

By mof

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 73 days ago by KMG-365
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200517_214230 (resized).jpg
20200612_163555 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190314_211532045_resize_54 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190314_210740184~2_resize_77 (resized).jpg
Space Mission (resized).jpg
20190724_201144 (resized).jpg
85CE0D8E-E6CB-46C1-95E6-87FF2087F4D6 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

1976 Williams Space Odyssey and Space Mission

Cool game!

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2253
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2254

On July 21, 2019 Pinside has 292 owners of these two games, let's see how many join the club...

[x] add to favorites

Club Members:
mof, bflagg, Toucanf16, hool10, scampcamp, readypo

#2 1 year ago

Love Space Odyssey. I’ve had 2 of them. The one I still have is the first EM I was able to get working 100% from the dead. Unfortunately I had some family issues and had to sell it a few years back. I made a deal the local I sold it to. I asked him if he ever decided to sell, he’d offer it to me first for the same price I sold it to him for. He agreed and around a year later he needed room and I bought it back. Great guy! I have no plans to sell it again.

85CE0D8E-E6CB-46C1-95E6-87FF2087F4D6 (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

I have a Space Mission. I picked it up last November. It’s currently at HEP awaiting restoration.
I started with a Grand Prix and was looking for another EM from the same era. Initially I was looking for an Aztec, but found a super nice SM. It will fit well with the Grand Prix and sone other space themed pins I have.
Glad to join the club.

#5 1 year ago

Mine is in forever restoration status in a hoarding house (looks like a house from American Pickers with antiques) and sits right behind me. I won my first pinball tournament on it and it's sad really because I truly do love the game. The game had sunken inserts and my dad decided to take it upon himself to "do it right" and wanted to clearcoat it but he ended up putting a hairline crack in the pf. He also took away large parts of the paint around the inserts. Eventually like X years into the future he wants to "restore it right". Yeah.....thanks dad.

#6 1 year ago

Shouldn't take much to get my Space Odyssey up & going. It's in great shape except the backglass may need a little touch-up or if I were to buy a new 1..... it may be fun to do something different. I've seen this Ren & Stimpy backglass online years ago but couldn't remember who did it. Does anyone know?
20190724_201144 (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

So what pitches have you tried so far for this game?

I've tried: 4.5, 5.0, and now 6.5 and I feel like 6.5 is a bit much so far. I can still make the spinner, but my favorite shot in the game is the slap save backhand spinner shot, and I doubt it would happen at 6.5

#8 1 year ago

My Space Mission is currently set at 4.6 pitch. Have it next to Williams Liberty Bell, its younger (one year) sibling

Space Mission (resized).jpg
3 months later
#10 11 months ago

Just signed up after lurking awhile, I’m working on cleaning up our old family Space Mission. Mainly getting it playable again - new rubbers, new bulbs, flipper rebuild, clean and wax, etc. I would like to use Vid’s guides someday to touch up the playfield (esp. scratches from the flippers).

Does anyone here have A/B photos of the original backglass with the CPR backglass? I’ve considered buying that even though mine isn’t too bad .. just wondering how close they got it.

2 weeks later
#11 11 months ago

Just picked up a Space Odyssey, because I had sellers remorse from selling Space Mission last year.

The swinging target is loud. Can someone post a video of theirs, so I can get some sound. I'd love a quick video with the glass on and with the glass off.

#12 11 months ago

Space Odyssey, first game I ever bought. Fun game, wonderful art, and great memories. Gone now as "space is the final frontier", and I ran out.

1 month later
#13 9 months ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

Just picked up a Space Odyssey, because I had sellers remorse from selling Space Mission last year.
The swinging target is loud. Can someone post a video of theirs, so I can get some sound. I'd love a quick video with the glass on and with the glass off.

I hope to have mine assembled and working soon. I can post a video of mine when it's done if someone doesn't beat me to it. What part is loud on yours - the motor or something else in the mechanism?

#14 9 months ago

I prefer Odyssey just because it has a little more of the backglass art without the two score windows.

Here's mine:

IMG_20190314_210740184~2_resize_77 (resized).jpgIMG_20190314_211532045_resize_54 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15 9 months ago

Does anyone know where to find a scan of the long paper strips that have the relay labels on them? I'm after the one in the bottom/right of this photo (mine got ripped off and chewed up by critters)

http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/sm/smbildercabinet/IMG_1196.JPG

5 months later
#16 4 months ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Does anyone know where to find a scan of the long paper strips that have the relay labels on them? I'm after the one in the bottom/right of this photo (mine got ripped off and chewed up by critters)
http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/sm/smbildercabinet/IMG_1196.JPG

Here are some scans of mine. The first one is the original, the second is a B&W version of the original with most of the dirt cleaned off, and the third is a reproduction I made that's clean as a whistle. Feel free to choose your poison or use one as a starting point. Should print at original size as far as I know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvp0un9wm8zpljd/label_scan.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vn0wlrfkwnrfcm/label_scan_rough_cleanup.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeg6ad1ldm4ul1w/label_scan_repro.png?dl=0

2 weeks later
#17 3 months ago

Wondering if someone can help me out with this as it's driving me crazy.

The SPECIAL inserts are red. The spinner, extra ball, and shoot again inserts look red, but light up orange. The same goes for the two "red" 5000 point inserts in front of the target motor - they look identical, but light up two different colors. They also look very different when held up to a light.

My shoot again insert is cracked and I'm trying to find a replacement, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm looking for. Orange inserts are way too orange. Amber looks closer but nobody makes amber inserts that size/style. What I *think* based on the parts I've found is that the SPECIAL inserts are opaque red, and the others are transparent red. However, if anybody knows for sure what the difference is, I'd love to hear it.

For reference, this is the most comprehensive list of inserts that I've found so far. All large inserts are 1" circles.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=INS&Item_Display_Type=1&Per_Page=-1&Screen=CTGY&Sort_By=disp_order

1 month later
#18 73 days ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Just signed up after lurking awhile, I’m working on cleaning up our old family Space Mission. Mainly getting it playable again - new rubbers, new bulbs, flipper rebuild, clean and wax, etc. I would like to use Vid’s guides someday to touch up the playfield (esp. scratches from the flippers).
Does anyone here have A/B photos of the original backglass with the CPR backglass? I’ve considered buying that even though mine isn’t too bad .. just wondering how close they got it.

I purchased a CPR, my original back glass was pretty bad. I attached two pictures of the new one. One inthe dark lighted up and one with natural light.

20200517_214230 (resized).jpg20200612_163555 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
1,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmette, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 334.95
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 400.00
Playfields
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 100.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 29.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 334.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 6,200.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 269.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside