IMG_8101 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8099 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8098 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8097 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8093 (resized).jpeg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

1976 Williams Space Odyssey and Space Mission

Cool game!

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2253
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2254

On July 21, 2019 Pinside has 292 owners of these two games, let's see how many join the club...

[x] add to favorites

Club Members:
@mof, @bflagg, @Toucanf16, @hool10, @scampcamp, @readypo

#2 4 years ago

Love Space Odyssey. I’ve had 2 of them. The one I still have is the first EM I was able to get working 100% from the dead. Unfortunately I had some family issues and had to sell it a few years back. I made a deal the local I sold it to. I asked him if he ever decided to sell, he’d offer it to me first for the same price I sold it to him for. He agreed and around a year later he needed room and I bought it back. Great guy! I have no plans to sell it again.

85CE0D8E-E6CB-46C1-95E6-87FF2087F4D6 (resized).jpeg85CE0D8E-E6CB-46C1-95E6-87FF2087F4D6 (resized).jpeg
#3 4 years ago

I have a Space Mission. I picked it up last November. It’s currently at HEP awaiting restoration.
I started with a Grand Prix and was looking for another EM from the same era. Initially I was looking for an Aztec, but found a super nice SM. It will fit well with the Grand Prix and sone other space themed pins I have.
Glad to join the club.

#5 4 years ago

Mine is in forever restoration status in a hoarding house (looks like a house from American Pickers with antiques) and sits right behind me. I won my first pinball tournament on it and it's sad really because I truly do love the game. The game had sunken inserts and my dad decided to take it upon himself to "do it right" and wanted to clearcoat it but he ended up putting a hairline crack in the pf. He also took away large parts of the paint around the inserts. Eventually like X years into the future he wants to "restore it right". Yeah.....thanks dad.

#6 4 years ago

Shouldn't take much to get my Space Odyssey up & going. It's in great shape except the backglass may need a little touch-up or if I were to buy a new 1..... it may be fun to do something different. I've seen this Ren & Stimpy backglass online years ago but couldn't remember who did it. Does anyone know?
20190724_201144 (resized).jpg20190724_201144 (resized).jpg

#7 4 years ago

So what pitches have you tried so far for this game?

I've tried: 4.5, 5.0, and now 6.5 and I feel like 6.5 is a bit much so far. I can still make the spinner, but my favorite shot in the game is the slap save backhand spinner shot, and I doubt it would happen at 6.5

#8 4 years ago

My Space Mission is currently set at 4.6 pitch. Have it next to Williams Liberty Bell, its younger (one year) sibling

Space Mission (resized).jpgSpace Mission (resized).jpg
3 months later
#10 4 years ago

Just signed up after lurking awhile, I’m working on cleaning up our old family Space Mission. Mainly getting it playable again - new rubbers, new bulbs, flipper rebuild, clean and wax, etc. I would like to use Vid’s guides someday to touch up the playfield (esp. scratches from the flippers).

Does anyone here have A/B photos of the original backglass with the CPR backglass? I’ve considered buying that even though mine isn’t too bad .. just wondering how close they got it.

2 weeks later
#11 4 years ago

Just picked up a Space Odyssey, because I had sellers remorse from selling Space Mission last year.

The swinging target is loud. Can someone post a video of theirs, so I can get some sound. I'd love a quick video with the glass on and with the glass off.

#12 4 years ago

Space Odyssey, first game I ever bought. Fun game, wonderful art, and great memories. Gone now as "space is the final frontier", and I ran out.

1 month later
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

Just picked up a Space Odyssey, because I had sellers remorse from selling Space Mission last year.
The swinging target is loud. Can someone post a video of theirs, so I can get some sound. I'd love a quick video with the glass on and with the glass off.

I hope to have mine assembled and working soon. I can post a video of mine when it's done if someone doesn't beat me to it. What part is loud on yours - the motor or something else in the mechanism?

#14 4 years ago

I prefer Odyssey just because it has a little more of the backglass art without the two score windows.

Here's mine:

IMG_20190314_210740184~2_resize_77 (resized).jpgIMG_20190314_210740184~2_resize_77 (resized).jpgIMG_20190314_211532045_resize_54 (resized).jpgIMG_20190314_211532045_resize_54 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15 4 years ago

Does anyone know where to find a scan of the long paper strips that have the relay labels on them? I'm after the one in the bottom/right of this photo (mine got ripped off and chewed up by critters)

http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/sm/smbildercabinet/IMG_1196.JPG

5 months later
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Does anyone know where to find a scan of the long paper strips that have the relay labels on them? I'm after the one in the bottom/right of this photo (mine got ripped off and chewed up by critters)
http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/sm/smbildercabinet/IMG_1196.JPG

Here are some scans of mine. The first one is the original, the second is a B&W version of the original with most of the dirt cleaned off, and the third is a reproduction I made that's clean as a whistle. Feel free to choose your poison or use one as a starting point. Should print at original size as far as I know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvp0un9wm8zpljd/label_scan.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vn0wlrfkwnrfcm/label_scan_rough_cleanup.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeg6ad1ldm4ul1w/label_scan_repro.png?dl=0

2 weeks later
#17 3 years ago

Wondering if someone can help me out with this as it's driving me crazy.

The SPECIAL inserts are red. The spinner, extra ball, and shoot again inserts look red, but light up orange. The same goes for the two "red" 5000 point inserts in front of the target motor - they look identical, but light up two different colors. They also look very different when held up to a light.

My shoot again insert is cracked and I'm trying to find a replacement, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm looking for. Orange inserts are way too orange. Amber looks closer but nobody makes amber inserts that size/style. What I *think* based on the parts I've found is that the SPECIAL inserts are opaque red, and the others are transparent red. However, if anybody knows for sure what the difference is, I'd love to hear it.

For reference, this is the most comprehensive list of inserts that I've found so far. All large inserts are 1" circles.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=INS&Item_Display_Type=1&Per_Page=-1&Screen=CTGY&Sort_By=disp_order

1 month later
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Just signed up after lurking awhile, I’m working on cleaning up our old family Space Mission. Mainly getting it playable again - new rubbers, new bulbs, flipper rebuild, clean and wax, etc. I would like to use Vid’s guides someday to touch up the playfield (esp. scratches from the flippers).
Does anyone here have A/B photos of the original backglass with the CPR backglass? I’ve considered buying that even though mine isn’t too bad .. just wondering how close they got it.

I purchased a CPR, my original back glass was pretty bad. I attached two pictures of the new one. One inthe dark lighted up and one with natural light.

20200517_214230 (resized).jpg20200517_214230 (resized).jpg20200612_163555 (resized).jpg20200612_163555 (resized).jpg
1 year later
#19 2 years ago

Added Space Odyssey this year. Not yet 100% but it lights up

97F11AD4-238D-43B8-B80F-9101AAD2A51A (resized).jpeg97F11AD4-238D-43B8-B80F-9101AAD2A51A (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#20 2 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. I need to replace the big plastic in the upper right portion of the playfield.

Anyone have an extra?

3 weeks later
#21 2 years ago

If your other plastics are in poor shape, CPR does sell a full repro set.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/space-mission-2/

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from mnrocketry:

If your other plastics are in poor shape, CPR does sell a full repro set.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/space-mission-2/

Thanks, I actually just bought a set of these last week!

2 months later
#23 2 years ago

Just realized there is a club. Second time owner here in the middle of a shop. I could really use a picture of the playfeild with the plastics off but rubbers on. Trying to figure out which post have single rings. Ordered a titan kit and I feel like I don't have enough single post rubbers

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

Just realized there is a club. Second time owner here in the middle of a shop. I could really use a picture of the playfeild with the plastics off but rubbers on. Trying to figure out which post have single rings. Ordered a titan kit and I feel like I don't have enough single post rubbers

I sent you some pics.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from mnrocketry:

I sent you some pics.

Would you mind posting them in the thread? I’m actually in the same boat with my Space Mission.

#26 2 years ago

So picked this guy up in a package deal last weekend . Got it playing a game start to finish did first round of cleaning, waxing, and rebuilt flippers and titan rubbers to get it playable till I have the time to go through it completely.

Had one before that was in fantastic shape, sold it, regretted it ever since. This one is rough rough rough, but will suffice until I find a minty one.

Not a candidate for restore due to planking in playfeild and bottom of the cabinet being shot. But take what we can get for a decent price .

IMG_20220312_145116 (resized).jpgIMG_20220312_145116 (resized).jpg
#27 2 years ago

These are from the beginning of a shopout that I did many years back.

IMG_2078 (resized).JPGIMG_2078 (resized).JPGIMG_2079 (resized).JPGIMG_2079 (resized).JPGIMG_2080 (resized).JPGIMG_2080 (resized).JPGIMG_2081 (resized).JPGIMG_2081 (resized).JPG
#28 2 years ago

And these are from towards the end of that shopout.

IMG_2120 (resized).JPGIMG_2120 (resized).JPGIMG_2120 - Copy (2) (resized).JPGIMG_2120 - Copy (2) (resized).JPGIMG_2120 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_2120 - Copy (resized).JPG
#29 2 years ago

Greetings everyone, hope all is well and staying safe out there.

My Grandpa had a Space Mission in his basement up in Akron Ohio. Due to us living way down in South Georgia, we weren’t able to visit much to his house and he sometimes came down to visit but all in all, we maybe saw each other 5 times in my life. Although we weren’t very close due to this, we always shared great memories playing this machine in his basement and he would always bet me, if I win, he’d give me a dollar and if he won, we’d play again.

Anyway, he past away at least 10 or more years ago and although I wish I would have seen if I could have gotten this, it just felt very insensitive to ask, so I am hoping someday to find one in nice shape as although I know EM machines are purely mechanical, I have never maintained one but would like to learn. I still wonder to this day where that machine ended up.

Anyway, I live near the Pensacola FL area so if anyone within a 250 mile radius ever has one they’d be willing to sell, just let me know.

Take care everyone

3 weeks later
#30 1 year ago

If anyone wants to make a new decal for your spinner heres a pdf of one I recreated. Thanks Silverstreak02 for the close up reference pictures.
Space Mission Space Odyssey Spinner.pdfSpace Mission Space Odyssey Spinner.pdf
I went with the longer streamer on the right based on how the back looked on mine. I didn’t have any other references for the rocket. Mine was beat!

D6E83FF1-B8D9-4403-83E7-1E098EEE0366 (resized).jpegD6E83FF1-B8D9-4403-83E7-1E098EEE0366 (resized).jpegE3A35718-E4AA-45CD-98AE-B82319D34578 (resized).jpegE3A35718-E4AA-45CD-98AE-B82319D34578 (resized).jpeg

1189EED8-8ACC-4E48-A879-27C921A77E9C (resized).jpeg1189EED8-8ACC-4E48-A879-27C921A77E9C (resized).jpeg
#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

My Grandpa had a Space Mission in his basement up in Akron Ohio. Due to us living way down in South Georgia, we weren’t able to visit much to his house and he sometimes came down to visit but all in all, we maybe saw each other 5 times in my life. Although we weren’t very close due to this, we always shared great memories playing this machine in his basement and he would always bet me, if I win, he’d give me a dollar and if he won, we’d play again.
Anyway, he past away at least 10 or more years ago and although I wish I would have seen if I could have gotten this, it just felt very insensitive to ask, so I am hoping someday to find one in nice shape as although I know EM machines are purely mechanical, I have never maintained one but would like to learn. I still wonder to this day where that machine ended up.
Anyway, I live near the Pensacola FL area so if anyone within a 250 mile radius ever has one they’d be willing to sell, just let me know.
Take care everyone

Nice story. Keep watching; #spacestation and #spacemission come up occasionally. My first pin was a #grandprix (similar vintage); I sold it, missed it and purchased another years later.

1 week later
#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Take care everyone

Plenty of the Space Mission/Odyssey machines around. Search Facebook and Craigslist. U can post a wanted ad in the marketplace on Pinside. I found Space Odyssey that way. Good luck

4 weeks later
#33 1 year ago

Anyone able to confirm the decal that is on the moving target assembly?

D4F35437-B9DD-4741-8159-1B38FF69CC27 (resized).jpegD4F35437-B9DD-4741-8159-1B38FF69CC27 (resized).jpeg

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Anyone able to confirm the decal that is on the moving target assembly?
[quoted image]

I can confirm that mine is missing as well.

SpaceMission_Target (resized).jpgSpaceMission_Target (resized).jpg

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I can confirm that mine is missing as well.
[quoted image]

DANG!

Well if anyone has the decal I would like to recreate it for my resto. Looking for a picture of what it was, thanks everyone.

#36 1 year ago

Not a very good photo, but all that I could find from the Space Mission that I owned many years back. I can't get at my Space Odyssey at the moment to see if it still has that label.

IMG_8174 (resized).JPGIMG_8174 (resized).JPGIMG_8174a (resized).jpgIMG_8174a (resized).jpg
#37 1 year ago
Quoted from mnrocketry:

Not a very good photo, but all that I could find from the Space Mission that I owned many years back. I can't get at my Space Odyssey at the moment to see if it still has that label.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats a great start though!

I think it says:
110 VOLT
TARGET MOTOR
14A-7745

Cant see the STD number from the reflection (so close!)

#38 1 year ago

Inkochnito has a web page with many label files you can d/l and print. Maybe he has that label. He will create files if you supply a sample label. If someone has a owners manual maybe the part number is in there for the assembly.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Inkochnito has a web page with many label files you can d/l and print. Maybe he has that label. He will create files if you supply a sample label. If someone has a owners manual maybe the part number is in there for the assembly.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Yeah I love his site I always check his stuff first before I put the feelers out. I didnt see this label on his list. Appreciate it.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah I love his site I always check his stuff first before I put the feelers out. I didnt see this label on his list. Appreciate it.

Is this the only pin that this moving target mechanism is on? Perhaps the label is listed under another pin name.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:DANG!
Well if anyone has the decal I would like to recreate it for my resto. Looking for a picture of what it was, thanks everyone.

A few pictures of mine.
Looks like std. 60

20220519_125338 (resized).jpg20220519_125338 (resized).jpg20220519_131749 (resized).jpg20220519_131749 (resized).jpg20220519_131924 (resized).jpg20220519_131924 (resized).jpg
#42 1 year ago

I sent the pic to the Inkochnito guy. Maybe he can create a file for his web page. would be easy to make this label yourself as well. I have made a few in the past for restorations.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from kingpinman:

A few pictures of mine.
Looks like std. 60[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Perfect thank you sir!

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I sent the pic to the Inkochnito guy. Maybe he can create a file for his web page. would be easy to make this label yourself as well. I have made a few in the past for restorations.

Working on it.....

Here you go guys!
I hope you like it.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl
If you like my work, please send me a donation via PayPal.
(Add a few bucks when selling your restored game.)

Williams_STD-60_Target_Motor_label.pdfWilliams_STD-60_Target_Motor_label.pdf
1 week later
#45 1 year ago

Can someone please link me what lift channel and trim plastics I should order if I'm finally getting a new CPR backglass for my backglass-less Space Mission?

thanks!

-mof

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Working on it.....
Here you go guys!
I hope you like it.
Peter
www.inkochnito.nl
If you like my work, please send me a donation via PayPal.
(Add a few bucks when selling your restored game.)
[quoted image]

Thanks for making these, I ended up recreating my own a week or so ago. Now seeing yours I see my font was too small.
Thanks again!

9B42D81D-2EBB-4195-B3B4-C220029930FA (resized).jpeg9B42D81D-2EBB-4195-B3B4-C220029930FA (resized).jpeg
#47 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm that it's a standard 28.5" wide backglass with 1/8" thickness? so I can plan out the trim sets to get?
-mof

2 months later
#48 1 year ago

Hi, just joined the club and I have got everything working except that the upper left/right lanes do not work consistently (don't switch on/off with the 50/500 switches) any suggestions on what to check? Guessing something is gummed up as it does work but very infrequent, stays on for several rounds, than off for several rounds.

#49 1 year ago

Take a look at your match unit. That was my issue. The center pawl/pusher is often worn or even dirt build up on the teeth cause an incomplete stroke.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-alternator-match-unit-issue

and this thread by Steve Fury is gold
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-match-unit-help#post-777604

Cheers
Tom

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphod:

Take a look at your match unit. That was my issue. The center pawl/pusher is often worn or even dirt build up on the teeth cause an incomplete stroke.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-alternator-match-unit-issue
and this thread by Steve Fury is gold
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-match-unit-help#post-777604
Cheers
Tom

Thanks Tom! This is my first time repairing an EM and I traced the wire (black with red) back to the match unit and thought I was way off and didn't take it any further. Will look into it tonight.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-mission-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.