New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274491)

Space Odyssey - intermittent 100,000 score light

By Wwagonman

82 days ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by Wwagonman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 82 days ago

I recently purchased a dead SO. I have managed to battle through my ignorance and get the game up and fully functioning (pats self on back).

I do have one intermittent problem. Occasionally, the player one 100,000 score light comes on without being earned. Sometimes it comes on during the “reset” cycle, right before the ball is ejected. Other times it randomly comes on during a game in either one player or two player games.

Per the schematic, the last switch before the light relay is the 10,000 score reel P.T. DU. 9th position switch. If I block that switch, the problem does not happen, and of course the light does not come on even when earned.

I have visually compared the switches on both the Player one and Player two 10,000 score wheels and they are set the same.

Any suggestions?

#2 82 days ago

It’s purely due to vibration. You just need to adjust it accordingly. Common on many games with a 100,000 light.

#3 82 days ago

Thanks, I will play with increasing the gap at the contacts.

#4 81 days ago

The first circuit I would check is the normally open (NO) switch on the 1st-Player 100,000-pt relay. That relay is a latch-trip design and the switch that closes to energize the lamp should have a green-black wire and possibly a yellow wire soldered to the switch tabs.

If that switch is gapped too close, it may be resulting in the lamp coming on when it shouldn't.
If that does not turn out to be the issue, then may have to determine if the 1st player 100,000-pt relay is latching prematurely.

#5 81 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions. So far I opened the gap on the position 9 as far as I could, while still allowing it to close when it should. So far (fingers crossed) it seams to have done the trick. Time will tell.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 49.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Judge Dredd Translite Out of stock
Pinball Haus
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
$ 17.00
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside