Pulse (resized).JPG
Match Unit Score Motor Cam (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
Pinball (resized).png
Change light alternator_2 (resized).jpg
Change light alternator_1 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

I'm working on a Space Odyssey and one of the last issues is the match number who's stuck on the same number at the end of each game, unless I rotate the Match Unit stepper manually.

The 2 consequences are:

- same Match number all the time
- the lights in the left and right top lanes are either on or off, but don't change.

Again, when I manually rotate the stepper, the match number changes and the top lanes lights alternate on/off.

Apparently, the switch that alternates the top lanes light was hacked as you can see in these pictures. I've taken it apart and the side tab of the front blade is broken so this was probably the fix. But obviously, these 2 yellow wires with the round connector really don't belong here. Anyone here can post a picture of where that connector is attached originally and where should I solder a new cable?

Change light alternator_1 (resized).jpgChange light alternator_1 (resized).jpg
Change light alternator_2 (resized).jpgChange light alternator_2 (resized).jpg

I don't think this is related to the relay not activating but I had to mention just in case.

I'll take any suggestions to troubleshoot this Match Unit, thanks guys

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from manples:

any suggestions to troubleshoot this Match Unit

If the No. Match Unit coil doesn't fire when the motor runs (except for 5,000 points), inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Thanks Howard, I've never done that but I'll try it out.

You mean jumping like this to see if there a problem with that thing in the middle?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

(or elsewhere in the circuit)

#4 5 years ago

Exactly. You can jump over single or multiple things with that approach to narrow down on the problem. Sounds like you've got the idea, but here are a couple links.

Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#5 5 years ago

Actually, I've checked the 5-C cam on the score motor and guess what, the Match Unit switch was always open...

Just adjusted it and now it works. Thanks HowardR for sending me in the right direction!

Pulse (resized).JPGPulse (resized).JPG

Switch open when it should have been closed:
Match Unit Score Motor Cam (resized).JPGMatch Unit Score Motor Cam (resized).JPG

#6 5 years ago

Well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-change-unit?hl=manples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.