CaptureSM5 (resized).JPG
74546AB3-B42A-4BAB-891E-380642F4E513 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
CaptureSM3 (resized).JPG
IMG_1253 (resized).jpg
CaptureSM2 (resized).JPG
CaptureSM1 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone. I just recently purchased a Space Odyssey that was “fully functioning”. After a week or so, I’ve run into a few issues that I’ve been able to figure out. This latest problem has me stumped. I’m a novice so just looking for a direction. Now for the problem.

It’s fairly simple to explain but I’ll try to also explain what I’ve already tried in the troubleshooting process. At the end of ball, when the bonus counts up in scoring, it sometimes comes up 1000 points short or gives 1000 more than it should. It consistently falls 1000 short when the bonus is set to count 10k. It falls 2000 short when set to count 20k. Sometimes it counts accurately. Ive checked the 1000 score relay and it seems to be fine. I’m thinking the bonus unit but I’m not sure where to check. It seems to be “skipping”. This happens for 1 and 2 player score reels so I’m thinking it’s not the reels? Sorry to be long winded and thanks in advance!!!!

#2 2 years ago

I would check the
1. motor switch (1st image) or
2. the bonus reaches zero. (2nd image)

If the 5000 point scoring is sometimes short then I would check the motor switch.
If the 5000 point scoring correctly I would check the Bonus reaches zero.

1. The motor switch may need the gap to be a little tighter, one of the motor teeth maybe a little worn and it is missing making a good contact.
Also check that the switch stack is screwed down tight before adjusting.

2. the Bonus at Zero maybe triggering too soon and may not be counting the last bonus.

Again check that the switch stack is screwed down. and then adjust the switch after that.

If it sometime scores correctly then the adjustment should be small.

CaptureSM1 (resized).JPGCaptureSM1 (resized).JPGCaptureSM2 (resized).JPGCaptureSM2 (resized).JPG
#3 2 years ago

The bonus unit in under the playfield.
And the stack is here.

IMG_1253 (resized).jpgIMG_1253 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

I’ll check this when I get home, again, but I can actually see the score not count as the bonus is dropping down. I’ll know before it’s even done counting if the correct amount will be tallied or not. Should the bonus reaching zero be resting on the contact or should it be off if it slightly? And which motor switch are you referring to? The cam switches?

#5 2 years ago

I guess what I’m saying with the previous post is that I don’t believe it’s resetting too soon because it usually misses count well before it nears the end of cycle. Somewhere in the the 3000pt bonus range.

#6 2 years ago

Yes the switches above the cams
When swing targets score 5k, do they score 5000 pt? or do they sometimes score 4000 or 5000 or 6000?

If it consistently scores 5000 pt then the issue is on you bonus unit.

The bonus unit open at zero should register only on the last step down. if is sometimes register's on the 2nd last step then it will stop the 1000 point scoring.

Here is an image of the motor switch I was talking about.
It is used for both the 5000 count and the bonus count. that is why if the 5000 count is working then the issue would be isolated to your bonus unit vs the motor switch

CaptureSM3 (resized).JPGCaptureSM3 (resized).JPG
#7 2 years ago

So I'm pretty certain the 5000 point works correctly everytime.. It looks like in your image the little "pin" is resting on the stack? Is that the Game Over position? Because when my bonus unit closes that contact, solenoids pulse and then it falls back off of the stack one notch leaving the stack open during game over... What exactly would be the issue with the bonus unit if that was the problem? I cleaned it up somewhat on the spider side with qtips and alcohol and removed quite a bit of black residue... Thanks for your help btw...

#8 2 years ago

The image of the cogs on the motor is the position when the motor has stopped.

The spider manages the lights. (So if you have a dim light, the cleaning will help).
The score in managed by stepping down the bonus.
The at zero switch stack is on the other side (opposite of the spider) You see a set of leaf switchwa that will pushed by a pin on the gear wheel as the unit steps down.

You can manually step the gear up and down but pushing in the plunger on each coil.

After the bonus is done counting down to zero, it would normally step up one for the next ball so you would always get 1000 pt of bonus.

#9 2 years ago

Ok. Yeh. That’s what mine is doing. So the spider only controls the lights?

#10 2 years ago

Here is the doc from the manual

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11 2 years ago

Ok... I'll check the cams/cam switches when I get home... Thanks for your help, much appreciated...

#12 2 years ago

Ok. So I checked the 5000pt scoring rq when I got home and it’s not tallying that correctly! Is there a certain relay for that? Just asking as I don’t have time to look through it tonight.

#13 2 years ago

Ok. So I was actually able to dig a little deeper and get a photo of the stacks touching the cams. The 5000 pt stack tooth doesn’t seem to have a lot of wear. The impulse stack tooth does have lots of wear. It controls the 1000pt impulse correct.

Now. For the 5000pt scoring pattern. Every other time the tally scores correctly. Exactly 5000. When it doesn’t score 5000 it scores only 2000. So that scoring pattern is consistent throughout several cycles.

Could the 1000 point scoring cam have an impact on the scoring??
Also. Those contacts are a pain to get to without removing everything. Any suggestions?
74546AB3-B42A-4BAB-891E-380642F4E513 (resized).jpeg74546AB3-B42A-4BAB-891E-380642F4E513 (resized).jpeg

#14 2 years ago

Ok. Another update. Sorry for the spam. So I ran through a few 3 ball games testing the 1000pt bonus.

First game: 3000points
Second game: 6000 points
Third game: 3000 points
Fourth game: 6000 points

Is the 5000 point cam even involved with this? When the motor switch isn’t involved, 1000 points scores fine.

#15 2 years ago

In your pic cam5 is the is 1st cam. It’s normally closed switch A is the hold in circuit switch for the 5000 point relay. Clean and check for a weak connection.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

In your pic cam5 is the is 1st cam. It’s normally closed switch A is the hold in circuit switch for the 5000 point relay. Clean and check for a weak connection.

Cam 5 wouldn’t be the middle one? Switch A is normally closed? The schematic shows 5000 pt relay to be normally open?

#17 2 years ago

Cam 5 is not an impulse cam. It’s the 1st in the pic.

#18 2 years ago

Sorry posted from the wrong schematic. Did space mission instead of Space Odyssey. The 5 on the scematic is the number of pulses.

So the cam of the left of the picture. 3rd set down from the top.
CaptureSM5 (resized).JPGCaptureSM5 (resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

Sorry posted from the wrong schematic. Did space mission instead of Space Odyssey. The 5 on the scematic is the number of pulses.
So the cam of the left of the picture. 3rd set down from the top.
[quoted image]

So this big impulse stack is the one all the way on the left in my pic? I’m so confused. This one you’ve posted looks like the one at the very top of the motor cams, far right in the pic.

#20 2 years ago

Correction the far right.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

Correction the far right.

And it should be N.O?
And so you think the 1000pt pulse is the problem and 5000pt is eliminated?

#22 2 years ago

Ok. One last update before bed. So I messed with the 1000pt switch (far right stack/middle switch) and now the 5000 pt score for the swinging target scores perfect every time. BUT, the proverbial but, the 1000 bonus gives and extra 1000 to score. As a matter fact, EVERY amount I tried on the bonus added 1000 to the total bonus. So 10000 would score 11000, and so on. Now what?

#23 2 years ago

It sounds like the at zero switch on the bonus unit is now pulling too late. Look switches with the Yellow with Grey-G wires on the bonus unit.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

It sounds like the at zero switch on the bonus unit is now pulling too late. Look switches with the Yellow with Grey-G wires on the bonus unit.

If this is the case, should I tighten the gap on the NO switch or widen it?

#25 2 years ago

You would have to move the leave switch that is moved by the pin to open the switch a little sooner.
You may have to move the other leaf also. it is something you will have to play with.

Here is a good site with video on how different components work
https://www.funwithpinball.com/home/home-page

Here is the page with stepper units. (I would look at the credit unit)
https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#Steppers

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

You would have to move the leave switch that is moved by the pin to open the switch a little sooner.
You may have to move the other leaf also. it is something you will have to play with.
Here is a good site with video on how different components work
https://www.funwithpinball.com/home/home-page
Here is the page with stepper units. (I would look at the credit unit)
https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#Steppers

My credit unit is disconnected. But I understand what you say when you say that I need to move the leaf switch to open a little sooner.

#27 2 years ago

So I adjusted the NC contact on the bonus unit TOWARD the “pin” on the wheel that engages the stack. I also cleaned out hat first contact a little. It works!!! Thanks for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-bonus-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.