Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space Odyssey Game Over (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).png
Space_Odyssey_Game_Over_switch (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 3 years ago

I'm restoring a Space Odyssey, thought I had everything fixed but now a ball kicks out after game over relay activates. EVERYTHING else works great. I ran through the schematics, bonus relay, outhole relay, bonus unit 0 position, any other suggestions? Thanks.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

but now a ball kicks out after game over relay activates.

You may want to look at the reverse of this start process.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 3 years ago

Another possibility is that either the Game Over relay doesn't trip, or this Normally Closed switch doesn't open when it does:
Space_Odyssey_Game_Over_switch (resized).jpgSpace_Odyssey_Game_Over_switch (resized).jpg
/Mark

#4 3 years ago

I still haven't found the solution. Again, the game starts and plays as it should. During normal play, when the ball drains and contacts the outhole switch, the bonus relay is energized, the bonus unit reset coil fires and counts down the bonus. The 1,000 point relay fires and gives the player his points. When the bonus unit reaches the zero position, the outhole relay is energized through the zero position switch and the bonus SU coil fires once and the ball is kicked out to the plunger. The problem occurs after the last ball drains and contacts the outhole switch, everything works as it should as the bonus relay again activates the bonus unit reset coil and the game counts the bonus points down to zero, the game over relay is energized, the game over light comes on, the match light comes on, but the outhole relay is again energized as it would be during normal game play. Because the outhole relay is energized the bonus unit SU coil fires once and the ball is kicked out to the plunger even though the game is over. What removes power from the outhole relay after the last ball is played and the game is over?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

What removes power from the outhole relay after the last ball is played and the game is over?

I would check the '0' pos. sw. on the Bonus unit for a short.

Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

Didn't someone write up a tech bulletin on this issue before? Maybe Kerry I?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

What removes power from the outhole relay after the last ball is played and the game is over?

Quoted from MarkG:

... or this Normally Closed switch doesn't open when it does:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-ball-kicks-out-after-game-over#post-6027741

#8 3 years ago

HowardR the link you posted seems to be this one.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

HowardR the link you posted seems to be this one.

That was intentional because MarkG already answered OP's latest question.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

That was intentional because markg already answered OP's latest question.

Good ... thought I might have been losing it.

#11 3 years ago

I didn't find a short but I want to make sure I'm following your logic. The "0" position switch on the bonus unit seems to work fine. After a ball drains, the outhole switch activates the bonus relay and the bonus unit counts down to zero, the "0" position switch is activated, the outhole relay is then activated and the ball kicks out. All that works fine. After the last ball, when the game is over and the bonus unit counts down to 0, what should be keeping the outhole relay from energizing through the "0" position switch on the bonus unit?

#12 3 years ago

The Game Over Relay is tripping and the Normally Closed switch on that relay is opening, but this all occurs a fraction of a second after the ball is kicked out.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

The Game Over Relay is tripping and the Normally Closed switch on that relay is opening, but this all occurs a fraction of a second after the ball is kicked out.

I don't think that should happen.
Space Odyssey Game Over (resized).jpgSpace Odyssey Game Over (resized).jpg
The way I think it should work is:
1) The Outhole switch closes which kicks off the Bonus Count (not shown)
2) Eventually the Bonus Unit Zero Position Switch closes which fires the Outhole relay (2nd coil down in the schematic)
3) Once the Outhole relay is active it closes a switch (upper left corner) so that the next time the Score Motor 3A switch closes the Ball Count Unit advances (the coil at the top right)
4) When the Ball Count Unit advances after the last ball it should fire the Game Over Trip relay (lower right). This should also happen when the Score Motor 3A switch closes because there's effectively no delay through the Ball Count Unit.
5) When the Game Over Trip relay fires it opens a Normally Closed switch which should cut power along the right side of the schematic to the Outhole relay coil and to the Ball Release coil
6) Soon after all this Score Motor switch 4A closes which normally would fire the Ball Release solenoid (3rd coil down), but since power has been cut (both by the Game Over Trip relay switch and by the Outhole relay switch in the Ball Release circuit) it shouldn't happen.

To figure out what's happening in your game you could:
- Get the game to last ball with no bonus
- Unplug the Score Motor Service jack
- Close the Outhole switch
- Manually turn the Score Motor cams slowly to see what happens when

For extra credit you could stop the Score Motor Cams between switch stacks 3 and 4 to check that the Game Over Trip relay and Outhole relay switches are really open.

#14 3 years ago

OK, I agree with everything you say, and this is exactly what is happening, but the ball kicks out between your steps 3) and 4) (see below)

The way I think it should work is:
1) The Outhole switch closes which kicks off the Bonus Count (not shown)
2) Eventually the Bonus Unit Zero Position Switch closes which fires the Outhole relay (2nd coil down in the schematic)
3) Once the Outhole relay is active it closes a switch (upper left corner) so that the next time the Score Motor 3A switch closes the Ball Count Unit advances (the coil at the top right)

At this point, once the Outhole relay is active it also closes an Outhole relay switch (D) that pulses the bonus step up coil and ball release coil and the ball gets kicked out

4) When the Ball Count Unit advances after the last ball it should fire the Game Over Trip relay (lower right). This should also happen when the Score Motor 3A switch closes because there's effectively no delay through the Ball Count Unit.
5) When the Game Over Trip relay fires it opens a Normally Closed switch which should cut power along the right side of the schematic to the Outhole relay coil and to the Ball Release coil
6) Soon after all this Score Motor switch 4A closes which normally would fire the Ball Release solenoid (3rd coil down), but since power has been cut (both by the Game Over Trip relay switch and by the Outhole relay switch in the Ball Release circuit) it shouldn't happen.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

At this point, once the Outhole relay is active it also closes an Outhole relay switch (D) that pulses the bonus step up coil and ball release coil and the ball gets kicked out

So you're saying that the Ball Release solenoid fires as soon as the Outhole relay fires? Is your Score Motor 4A switch stuck closed?

Normally the Ball Release solenoid should fire only momentarily as the Score Motor 4A switch closes briefly. At the end of ball 1 for example does your Ball Release solenoid fire for the same amount of time as the Outhole relay?

#16 3 years ago

First of all thanks for everyone's inputs, the game works now but I really don't know why...this is exactly why repairing EM's drives me nuts! I buy EM's that don't work and restore them. I've done about 50 over the last 17 years. I have a set pattern. I buy the schematics and instruction manuals. I go through the start sequence and make adjustments and corrections until I get the game to reset. In the process I always make sure the stepper units are clean and can move properly. I usually have to adjust a few of the score reels. I rebuild the flippers. Then I get to a point where the games pretty much plays as it should but sometimes I have one or two things that don't work right and I can't figure out why. On this game it was the ball kicking out after the game played perfectly and went to game over. When I get to this point, after scouring the schematics over and over, I always write in to Pinside for help on the tech forum. I read everyone's inputs, check the switch or circuit they suggest and make sure it is properly adjusted or cleaned or in proper order. Most of the time it's something I already checked but I go back and check it again. If the suggestion doesn't pan out I write in again. In this case I read MarkG's suggestion
, checked the game and found that score motor switch 4A was NOT stuck closed but I checked it, cleaned it and tested it and it was working fine. But, as I always do, after I play with a switch or relay or stepper unit, I play a game to make sure I didn't accidently make things worse. And on several occasions, like this one, the game works great, the problem is gone, even though I didn't adjust anything or change anything. I'm not complaining but I really want to know WHY it now works... I've had this happen at least 10 times over the last 17 years and I just write it off to the pinball gods smiling down on me. That and my monetary contribution to Pinside!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

But, as I always do, after I play with a switch or relay or stepper unit, I play a game to make sure I didn't accidently make things worse.

Solid troubleshooting advice for anyone.

Visual inspections often lead folks away from a possible culprit. The classic example is a switch that looks closed but doesn't conduct electricity.

Visual inspections can offer clues but unless a component is tested electrically (with a meter, bulb, jumper, etc.) there's no proof that it's working the way it looks. Clues about how the game misbehaves can also contradict visual clues as they did your case.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-ball-kicks-out-after-game-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.