pasted_image6 (resized).png
IMG_20181105_144724 (resized).jpg
pasted_image4 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi all. Just got a great example of Space Odyssey and I'm super excited. When I got it, it actually started up and played okay. I spent some time cleaning the playfield and replacing the rubbers and when I went to start it up again... boom! This scoring issue popped up. Basically, when I hit the Start button, the game continually adds 10 points... forever and ever. This is not triggered by any switches or actual scores--it happens as soon as I hit Start.
Game was missing keys, but I picked the backglass lock so can tinker around.

From my past experience with EMs, I'm assuming this is a simple leaf switch issue: Either a dirty contact that needs to be filed or else bent switch making too much or too little contact at rest. Does anybody have any ideas on which switch it might be? Or any other suggestions on fixing this? Thank you!

#2 5 years ago

One update: It appears to complete the startup sequence, and THEN continually add points. So that the game is in play, as the machine sees it, it just continues to add 10 points to the score every second or so. Is there a 10-point switch that I could have accidentally triggered in such a way that it's continually adding points? Perhaps a leaf that is supposed to be separated at rest, but is now touching, so that it is continually triggered?

As mentioned, this began right after I replaced the rubbers and cleaned the playfield. Could I have done something to a 10-point switch on the playfield so that it is stuck in the "on" position or like?

#3 5 years ago

I only see a couple of things that score 10 point. (3 stand up sws) and the 50 point relay.
You may also be stuck in a reset where the 10 point zero position is not registering on the score reel. The 1/2 reset relay would be pulsing. (normally in the back box).

Looking at the (Space Mission Schematic)
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 5 years ago

I think you've answered your own question. If all worked ok before you worked on the playfield, then it sounds like you have simply shorted a playfield switch, most likely by a too tight a rubber or suchlike.

It would immediately start to score once it's all reset because of a stuck switch, because as far as the machine is concerned, the ball is making a score from whichever switch is now stuck on.

Try turning the game on and inspect each switch, starting from the top and work down until you find it.

#6 5 years ago

As Argosy points out, there are 3 standup switches that score 10 pts. At least a couple of them probably sit right behind a PF rubber on the right side. I would locate those switches and start the game up and use your finger to carefully pull the rubber outward, away from the switch. If the 10=pt scoring stops, you've found the source. If all 3 are not at fault, then look for the switch(es) that enable the 50-pt relay.

#7 5 years ago

You guys all rule and were right on. A rubber on the right side was a bit too tight against a switch. When I pulled it back, the error stopped. Thank you all!

#8 5 years ago

Well, it worked for a half a second and now something else popped up. Now, pressing the Game Start button does nothing. The game is set to free play. This may be obvious but I'm still new at figuring out the schematics, but any ideas on this? The game turns on and lights up but the game start sequence does not begin at all when I press the button.

#9 5 years ago

Could be your credit wheel switches need adjustment to be free play.

Try activating a coin switch should make it start.

#10 5 years ago

Levi: I put a coin in (to both coin slots) and it did nothing. That what you're saying or something else?

#11 5 years ago

I’m saying open the coin door and use your finger to try to close the coin switch. Your game might not even have coin mechs.

Goddammit Seth don’t make me come over there.

#12 5 years ago

Assuming the coin switch you're referencing is this one: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qd5sD5oRmbPQjdz89
When I manually flip it, I hear a switch inside the machine doing something. But nothing practical happens/still won't start. I also manually moved the game credit score reel to display a number for the credits. Likewise, no dice.

#13 5 years ago

Try lifting the playfield and manually pushing in the Start Relay at bottom of cabinet.

#14 5 years ago

Man, you're good. Alright. triggering that relay with chopsticks worked (at least for now)
However, no sooner had I put the playfield back then the left flipper started acting up. Video here shows the comparison with the right flipper (shown first) and left flipper.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rXoYsZpKQQW7xXvG7

#15 5 years ago

Flipper not working at all? Gotta be a loose wire to coil

#16 5 years ago

Of your two issue the left Flipper is the easier to trace.

1. Look at the switch itself to make sure it is making good contact (clean with a points file or flex stone). If it is clean and making good contact.
2 Then check for broken wires (Give the wire a gentle tug)
2a. At the switch and at the flipper coil
2b. at each jones plug both male and female side.. There should be two, one from the flipper to the main board and one from the main board to the playfield.
Check both the Yellow and the Black/White wires. (Note they were running out of wires when they made the machine so your colors could be different).

pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).png
#17 5 years ago

Free play not working

This one can be trick depending on how they set up free play.

Here is the circuit and the an image of the credit unit.

For free play to work they normally closed the credit Unit Zero bk Switch. If you put credits on the machine by manually turning the credit wheel does the start button work?

I suspect whatever they did for free play stopped working. (Sometimes people use a clip to hold the switch closed and it comes off).
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image4 (resized).pngpasted_image4 (resized).png

pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from scp:

Alright. triggering that relay with chopsticks worked (at least for now)

Using chopsticks is always the recommended method.

(Hint: You can use your fingers.)

#19 5 years ago

Thanks all!
Machine is coming along nicely and seems to be working pretty near 100%. Only thing currently MIA are the top two lanes that light up during some times to increase value so that it matches the swinging target arm. The mechanism for switching these between lit and not lit (so: lane value increased/not increased) is not working. Seems a piece of one of the parts that triggers this is broken. Anybody know what this part is called?
(In attached image, the rectangular black piece behind below the wires and behind the other mechanisms... there is a part of it on the right that seems to be broken off, which would normally trigger this state switch).

IMG_20181105_144724 (resized).jpgIMG_20181105_144724 (resized).jpg
#20 5 years ago

That looks like the Match unit at 10 step unit (Pages 12 and 13) on the Williams parts book
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK (Books)
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html#/12/ (exact page)

The Alternator switch activated the change relay

Look for the Yellow and Black-red wires on the match unit.
If the change relay is pulling then check the switches on that relay.
Here is a pic of my Argosy match unit.

pasted_image6 (resized).pngpasted_image6 (resized).pngpasted_image8 (resized).pngpasted_image8 (resized).png

20181105_183837 (resized).jpg20181105_183837 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 12.00
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-at-startup-score-continually-adds-10-points-forever?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.