• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scoreM.JPG
3C.png
SA Circuit.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveFury.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

The super advance is set as the others have said, by a jones plug underneath the pf. Maximum bonus is 20K except for double bonus when lit for 40K.

1 week later
#10 10 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

My super advance bonus is continuously scoring. The gapping on the switch seems fine. What's my next progression here, the relays? If so, what should I be looking for?

dontfeed it's not clear whether your SA begins scoring on its own right after the game has finished resetting.... or if it keeps scoring after a ball has rolled over the button switch. I assume the button switch is the one you mention in the quote.

It may help to know how the chain-event circuit works (If you already know this then disregard).
(a)Ball rolls over switch
(b)Super Advance Relay goes on
(c)Super Advance Relay provides a path to pulse the Advance Relay
(d)Advance Relay pulses the Bonus unit step-up
(e)1,000 points pulsed with the Bonus unit
(f)Circuit is opened for the Super Advance Relay to stop the sequence.

If (f) does not occur then the machine will add bonus's non-stop until the bonus unit is maxed out, then continue adding 1,000 points until game over or switched off. Which circuit path for (f) depends on which of the two settings are made under the playfield for Liberal or Conservative.

Below is an explanation of the schematic operating the Advance Relay. It is important to remember cams 1-5 open sequentially. You can consider that when cam 3 opens then 3 pulses from the impulse cam would have occured... which would have pulsed the circuit 3 times. When cam 5 opens then 5 pulses from the impulse cam would have occured... which would have pulsed the circuit 5 times.

(Figure 1) on my diagram:
The ball rolls over the PF button switch (The blue highlighted line). That pulls in the Super Advance Relay.

(Figure 2 Liberal adjustment position)
But the ball rolls back off of the switch so something has to keep the Super Advance Relay turned on until the bonus reward is complete. That is the job of the orange-arrowed switch. This switch is on the Super Advance Relay so the relay holds itself on until power is removed.

The score motor rotates and cam 5a opens (Green arrow). This cuts power to the Super Advance Relay which ends the sequence.
Since it was cam 5 that opened, 5 pulses had operated the Advance Relay to step up the Bonus unit and score the points.

(Figure 3 Conservative adjustment position)
The conservative side of the adjustment jack on the schematic has an upward pointing arrow and associated code. The code references another location on the schematic, at C-2. I've drawn a red line between the two sections which represent a wire.

Figure 3 operates exactly as figure 2 except this time it's cam 3c (Green arrow) which opens so the Advance Relay only gets 3 pulses.

SA Circuit.pngSA Circuit.png

Isolating the trouble through a few easy tests can be made. I will assume the machine will start and reset fine and the problem begins when a ball rolls through the Super Advance lane. I also assume it's the lane's roll over switch you've checked. Eliminating that switch as a possible trouble really only leaves the two cam switches, 3c and 5a.

We can see on the schematic that both the 50 point and 5,000 point relays depend on cam switch 5a working correctly otherwise they, too would not drop out. Since you hadn't mentioned these as an issue then I guess you have the Super Advance bonus adjustment jack in the Conservative position?
If cam 3c doesn't open then you may not have any other symptoms depending on how your coin credit jacks are set up.

I bet if you put your Super Advance bonus adjustment in the Liberal position then the Super Advance feature will work correctly. If that's the case then it's pretty certain that cam 3c isn't opening or something (bent solder tabs etc) is shorting it out.

Sorry for the long explanation. I could have said "check cams 3c and 5a" to begin with but I know some folks are curious about reading schematics.

1 year later
#14 9 years ago

Hi dontfeed.
Reference what I posted above: (Figure 3 Conservative adjustment position)

The drop-off switch for the SA bonus relay is score motor switch 3C on the schematic I posted.
We see the score motor legend on the schematic, and locate the exact switch in the stack:
3C.png3C.png

The legend also shows it is the center-most switch stack in the row:
scoreM.JPGscoreM.JPG

Check that switch and make sure it opens when the cam drops into the slot. If it opens then check the back of the switch and make sure solder tabs are not touching each other.

1 week later
#18 9 years ago

Does it still function properly in the liberal position?

If it is still only the conservative setting then refer to the schematic #3 I posted above.

I'd unplug the machine then *slowly* rotate the score motor and verify cam switches 5b, 4c and 3c are positively opening.
If they are surely opening then find the solder tabs on the back of the switch stacks and check for shorts. Bent solder tabs touching each other. Bits of wire or a screw (etc) stuck between the blades. Weird stuff.

If you're standing in front of the machine looking at the score motor, the naming of the stacks are (Left to right):

Index
2 (Long dwell)
Impulse
Impulse (Forward)

#21 9 years ago

If it happens again then I'd double check the free operation of the button switch, its switch gap etc again. Also I'd check the Super Advance relay switch gaps, check for physical binding. I'd also clean the relay's pole end and actuator, as you did with the shooters.

#23 9 years ago

dontfeed, if the problem occurs again, and you've double checked the things listed in post #21 then unplug the super bonus adjustment jack and leave it unplugged for testing.

Operate the roll-over button with your finger. The bonus tally itself will not operate properly with that jack out.... but work the button numerous times and see if the relay energizes and releases with the operation of the button switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveFury.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-super-bonus-advance?tu=SteveFury and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.