You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scoreM.JPG
3C.png
SA Circuit.png
#1 10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the proper scoring is for the Super Bonus Advance on a Space Mission? Is it 3000, 5000, 10000? I seem to be experiencing all of these scores and I don't think it's correct.

#2 10 years ago

Super advance has two settings. On Liberal setting, the super advance shot will advance the outhole bonus amount by 5 steps (5,000). On the Conservative setting, it will advance 3 steps (3,000).

You may be seeing 10 step advances that are really 2 times a 5 step advance. This can happen when the ball rolls over the button, but not fully around the loop, and then it falls back over the button again before exiting (this can also lead to 2 x 3 steps or six step advances. Or the machine may be double scoring the shot in error, if the related contacts are slow to reset.

#3 10 years ago

I just pulled the glass on mine and confirmed iluvak9

That's exactly how the scoring works. I have mine set at conservative with a 122,000 required to win the first free game.

I have an intermittent multiple scoring issue on mine when the ball drops in the left kick out hole midway down the left hand side of the playfield.

#4 10 years ago

So it's controlled by the game setting switch and not a separate switch then? Also, what is maximum bonus score? Is it 20000 or 29000?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

So it's controlled by the game setting switch and not a separate switch then? Also, what is maximum bonus score? Is it 20000 or 29000?

It is 20,000 and 40,000 if Double Bonus is Lit.

Ken

#6 10 years ago

The super advance is set as the others have said, by a jones plug underneath the pf. Maximum bonus is 20K except for double bonus when lit for 40K.

#7 10 years ago

I checked the plugs under the pf. I unplugged and re-plugged them in and have them all set at conservative. I ran the ball through the horseshoe for a whole game and all seems ok.

iluvak9, what you said made sense about the scoring querks, however, it has been scoring erratically at times (5000 instead of 3000) and I'm not sure why or I'm hallucinating the whole thing. Going to play some games and see what happens.

#8 10 years ago

I've got a few games in since the other day and I'm seeing mixed results.

It has played fine with no problems mostly. I've seen some scoring of 6000 (it's set for conservative, 3000 pts) with the ball going completely through the loop. The worst scoring scoring event was earlier when the super advance kept scoring for about 15 seconds. I looked to see if the button was stuck during this, but it seemed to be fine. I checked the switch gap earlier in the week so it can't be that. Relays perhaps? If so, what should I be looking for with them?

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

After a bout with the flu this week I'm feeling well enough to attempt to fix this problem, but could use a little pointing in the right direction.

To bring you up to speed, my super advance bonus is continuously scoring. The gapping on the switch seems fine. What's my next progression here, the relays? If so, what should I be looking for?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

My super advance bonus is continuously scoring. The gapping on the switch seems fine. What's my next progression here, the relays? If so, what should I be looking for?

dontfeed it's not clear whether your SA begins scoring on its own right after the game has finished resetting.... or if it keeps scoring after a ball has rolled over the button switch. I assume the button switch is the one you mention in the quote.

It may help to know how the chain-event circuit works (If you already know this then disregard).
(a)Ball rolls over switch
(b)Super Advance Relay goes on
(c)Super Advance Relay provides a path to pulse the Advance Relay
(d)Advance Relay pulses the Bonus unit step-up
(e)1,000 points pulsed with the Bonus unit
(f)Circuit is opened for the Super Advance Relay to stop the sequence.

If (f) does not occur then the machine will add bonus's non-stop until the bonus unit is maxed out, then continue adding 1,000 points until game over or switched off. Which circuit path for (f) depends on which of the two settings are made under the playfield for Liberal or Conservative.

Below is an explanation of the schematic operating the Advance Relay. It is important to remember cams 1-5 open sequentially. You can consider that when cam 3 opens then 3 pulses from the impulse cam would have occured... which would have pulsed the circuit 3 times. When cam 5 opens then 5 pulses from the impulse cam would have occured... which would have pulsed the circuit 5 times.

(Figure 1) on my diagram:
The ball rolls over the PF button switch (The blue highlighted line). That pulls in the Super Advance Relay.

(Figure 2 Liberal adjustment position)
But the ball rolls back off of the switch so something has to keep the Super Advance Relay turned on until the bonus reward is complete. That is the job of the orange-arrowed switch. This switch is on the Super Advance Relay so the relay holds itself on until power is removed.

The score motor rotates and cam 5a opens (Green arrow). This cuts power to the Super Advance Relay which ends the sequence.
Since it was cam 5 that opened, 5 pulses had operated the Advance Relay to step up the Bonus unit and score the points.

(Figure 3 Conservative adjustment position)
The conservative side of the adjustment jack on the schematic has an upward pointing arrow and associated code. The code references another location on the schematic, at C-2. I've drawn a red line between the two sections which represent a wire.

Figure 3 operates exactly as figure 2 except this time it's cam 3c (Green arrow) which opens so the Advance Relay only gets 3 pulses.

SA Circuit.pngSA Circuit.png

Isolating the trouble through a few easy tests can be made. I will assume the machine will start and reset fine and the problem begins when a ball rolls through the Super Advance lane. I also assume it's the lane's roll over switch you've checked. Eliminating that switch as a possible trouble really only leaves the two cam switches, 3c and 5a.

We can see on the schematic that both the 50 point and 5,000 point relays depend on cam switch 5a working correctly otherwise they, too would not drop out. Since you hadn't mentioned these as an issue then I guess you have the Super Advance bonus adjustment jack in the Conservative position?
If cam 3c doesn't open then you may not have any other symptoms depending on how your coin credit jacks are set up.

I bet if you put your Super Advance bonus adjustment in the Liberal position then the Super Advance feature will work correctly. If that's the case then it's pretty certain that cam 3c isn't opening or something (bent solder tabs etc) is shorting it out.

Sorry for the long explanation. I could have said "check cams 3c and 5a" to begin with but I know some folks are curious about reading schematics.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the very detailed reply Steve. Never apologize for giving great information. I've only been in this hobby for a year and I'll take all I can get. My SM keeps scoring after the ball rolls over the button switch. I'm going to try this out as soon as I can.

#12 10 years ago

You were correct Steve. By switching from conservative to liberal, the problem seems to have gone away. I'll have to hunt down the problem with the conservative settings sometime, but for now I'm happy it's working.

Again, thanks alot for the help!

1 year later
#13 9 years ago

Bump for Steve

#14 9 years ago

Hi dontfeed.
Reference what I posted above: (Figure 3 Conservative adjustment position)

The drop-off switch for the SA bonus relay is score motor switch 3C on the schematic I posted.
We see the score motor legend on the schematic, and locate the exact switch in the stack:
3C.png3C.png

The legend also shows it is the center-most switch stack in the row:
scoreM.JPGscoreM.JPG

Check that switch and make sure it opens when the cam drops into the slot. If it opens then check the back of the switch and make sure solder tabs are not touching each other.

#15 9 years ago

You can also adjust the super bonus, and bonus advance targets to score 100 instead of 1000.
100 was intended for 5 ball settings.

I have had similar issues with my space odyssey. The relay is on the bottom of the pf, with the pf up.
If that relay holds for any extra length of time , it will score again. I came up with a fix for it. If you want to know how I did it, shoot me a pm. My fix looks a little hokey, but my rollover now scores 3 bonus only every time. I think the tension on the switches goes after 30+ years of play.

One of the best wms em's off all time IMHO !!

#16 9 years ago

I'll check these out as soon as possible Steve. Thanks!

o_o_o : I'll look at any solution you might have as long as it doesn't include chewing gum

1 week later
#17 9 years ago

I finally had some time these past ten days to look at my problem. Unfortunately, pinball takes a backseat when your roof has ice dams and leaks all over your dining room ceiling and your main drain into the septic decides to clog up like no-ones business.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but the problem persists. I checked everything you mentioned Steve and I can't seem to isolate the issue.

I took a video of what the pin is doing. I can get the scoring to stop, but only if I tilt the machine. Take a look, if you would please, and tell me what you think.

Thanks

#18 9 years ago

Does it still function properly in the liberal position?

If it is still only the conservative setting then refer to the schematic #3 I posted above.

I'd unplug the machine then *slowly* rotate the score motor and verify cam switches 5b, 4c and 3c are positively opening.
If they are surely opening then find the solder tabs on the back of the switch stacks and check for shorts. Bent solder tabs touching each other. Bits of wire or a screw (etc) stuck between the blades. Weird stuff.

If you're standing in front of the machine looking at the score motor, the naming of the stacks are (Left to right):

Index
2 (Long dwell)
Impulse
Impulse (Forward)

#19 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's not working in the liberal position, but I will double check.

I did rotate the score motor by hand to check the openings, but I'll double check this as well.
Wish there was an easy way to check those solder tabs!

Thanks

#20 9 years ago

I checked and it wasn't working in either position. I rotated the score motor by hand and everything looked like they were opening and closing as they should. I cleaned the cams some more, checked the solder tabs and spaced them out a little more (I remember doing that last year). I unplugged a few Jones plugs and re-seated them just to make sure there was contact occuring.

I fired the game up and... it didn't fix anything. I kept going through a game by hand with the pf up, and then started to have mixed results. Sometimes it would pulse 5 times and stop, sometimes not. I decide to keep going with another game. More mixed results. I start another and this time it works every time. Hmmm.

I decide to put the pf down and play a full game without interfering with the ball. It goes well. I hit the horseshoe a few times and advance the bonus without issue. More hmmms.

What did I do and how long will it last? Going to test it again and see what happens.

Got a few more games in, single and 2 player, and when the ball went through the horseshoe, it scored as it should. I'll just keep watching it. Here's to hoping it continues to work. If not, I'll post again

#21 9 years ago

If it happens again then I'd double check the free operation of the button switch, its switch gap etc again. Also I'd check the Super Advance relay switch gaps, check for physical binding. I'd also clean the relay's pole end and actuator, as you did with the shooters.

#22 9 years ago

I was thinking about the relay and taking it apart and polishing it, but decided to wait since its working at the moment.

The button switch is good. I changed it out with one from my Super Flite last year. The gap is good and has good action.

If I experience more problems I'll check all these out again.

Thanks for the help Steve!

#23 9 years ago

dontfeed, if the problem occurs again, and you've double checked the things listed in post #21 then unplug the super bonus adjustment jack and leave it unplugged for testing.

Operate the roll-over button with your finger. The bonus tally itself will not operate properly with that jack out.... but work the button numerous times and see if the relay energizes and releases with the operation of the button switch.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

dontfeed, if the problem occurs again, and you've double checked the things listed in post #21 then unplug the super bonus adjustment jack and leave it unplugged for testing.
Operate the roll-over button with your finger. The bonus tally itself will not operate properly with that jack out.... but work the button numerous times and see if the relay energizes and releases with the operation of the button switch.

Will do!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-super-bonus-advance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.