DSC_1036 (resized).JPG
DSC_1040 (resized).JPG
DSC_1035 (resized).JPG
DSC_1039 (resized).JPG
DSC_1029 (resized).JPG
DSC_1042 (resized).JPG
DSC_1033 (resized).JPG
DSC_1027 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider polyacanthus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

There are as many opinions as there are hobbyists on how much to do. Many would just clean, wax, and play it. They like the machine to tell its story. Others would barely clean, call it "shopped", and play it. Personally I like to tear it down completely for a thorough cleaning, and if I'm going that far I figure I should give it a clear coat to protect it from more degradation (I like to play the crap out of my machines, not just look at them). And I figure if I'm going that far I might as well do some touchups too. Many people including me would want to level the inserts so the ball isn't skipping around and tearing up the wood around the inserts. As you can see you can easily follow the rabbit down the hole on an old playfield. Many like to restore a playfield to look like new, sand down the shooter lane and arch, etc. I like to clean as much as I can but don't mind leaving some of that wear, just take care of the eyesores. Unless the playfield will be completely repainted I don't mind it looking like it's been played, I just don't want paint chipping off every time I play.

It looks like your playfield is in pretty good shape to start with, so that's good. The wear is quite average for these. It doesn't look like you have much planking, so that's a big thing.

Take into account vid's guide is generally talking about newer 80s plus era games with catylized urethane clearcoat originally on the playfield. Older games had lacquer which dissipates over time on its own nevermind the wear from the ball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider polyacanthus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-rehab-first-project?tu=polyacanthus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.