Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ekm92
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_1037 (resized).JPG
DSC_1036 (resized).JPG
DSC_1040 (resized).JPG
DSC_1035 (resized).JPG
DSC_1039 (resized).JPG
DSC_1029 (resized).JPG
DSC_1042 (resized).JPG
DSC_1033 (resized).JPG
DSC_1027 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I have a Space Mission that's been in the family since the 70's. I've had it for years but I can't remember the last time it was assembled and played. I remember it worked fine but looked rough. I'd like to make it presentable and give it a good home in the man cave. I've read Vid's post (through about page 25) and thought I had an idea how to start cleaning the playfield. Vacuum, wipe, Simple Green, wipe, Novus 2, vacuum, wax. After removing the glass and inspecting it further I question my initial plan. I'd guess that nothing has ever been done to the field as far waxing. There are areas of bare wood that I'm not certain how to attack and would like some advice. After the initial cleaning then what? Wax or clear coat as I've read in some other posts? Clear coat then paint? Paint then wax? Paint by brush or air brush? Sounds like everyone has their own method so I'm looking for advice from the experts.

The cabinet plan includes new legs, seal the backglass and paint the cabinet with stencils.

DSC_1027 (resized).JPG

DSC_1033 (resized).JPG

DSC_1042 (resized).JPG

DSC_1029 (resized).JPG

DSC_1039 (resized).JPG

DSC_1035 (resized).JPG

DSC_1040 (resized).JPG

DSC_1036 (resized).JPG

DSC_1037 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

You should get it fully operational before dealing with the cosmetics.

Looks pretty good for a space mission (they got played to death back in the day). I would just touch up the small areas with Testors model paint and enjoy it.

#3 2 years ago

I'd advise reading Vid's guide to playfield restoration and his guide to cleaning ( sounds like you've read one but not yhe other...?

Everyone seems to have their own, deeply held opinions, but I can say that I've followed vid's advice pretty much to a t, and been very pleased with the results.

Good luck!

#4 2 years ago

Thanks bobnatlanta - you're right. I didn't realize I'd been reading parts of two different posts from Vid (cleaning and restoration). After reading most of the 'restoration' post I guess my major question is: after cleaning and repairing the playfield, do I clearcoat or just wax?

#5 2 years ago

There are as many opinions as there are hobbyists on how much to do. Many would just clean, wax, and play it. They like the machine to tell its story. Others would barely clean, call it "shopped", and play it. Personally I like to tear it down completely for a thorough cleaning, and if I'm going that far I figure I should give it a clear coat to protect it from more degradation (I like to play the crap out of my machines, not just look at them). And I figure if I'm going that far I might as well do some touchups too. Many people including me would want to level the inserts so the ball isn't skipping around and tearing up the wood around the inserts. As you can see you can easily follow the rabbit down the hole on an old playfield. Many like to restore a playfield to look like new, sand down the shooter lane and arch, etc. I like to clean as much as I can but don't mind leaving some of that wear, just take care of the eyesores. Unless the playfield will be completely repainted I don't mind it looking like it's been played, I just don't want paint chipping off every time I play.

It looks like your playfield is in pretty good shape to start with, so that's good. The wear is quite average for these. It doesn't look like you have much planking, so that's a big thing.

Take into account vid's guide is generally talking about newer 80s plus era games with catylized urethane clearcoat originally on the playfield. Older games had lacquer which dissipates over time on its own nevermind the wear from the ball.

#6 2 years ago

When I got my Space Mission (and also any other older game) I thought about what it would take to keep it looking good. Then I thought about clear coating, touch ups etc. I wound up just doing a few touch ups and cleaning and waxing it. I stopped obsessing about it and decided that the enemy of good is better.

If any inserts have sunken I would definitely fix those. Clean it, get it running and then deal with the cosmetics! Good luck!

#7 2 years ago

It's your game, so do what you want to do. Some would touch up and clear even the smallest of wear spots. For others, the cosmetics are not worth the time and effort. And, by the way, I agree with previous poster who said to get it working before you start worrying about cosmetics.

That said - if yours was mine, once I got it working, I'd vacuum it, wax it, and play it like crazy. Space Mission is a great game.

Cheers!!
Bob

#8 2 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm beginning to better understand the situation. Reading all of the forums and options caused information overload. Since this is my first project I don't want to get in over my head so I'm going with the clean, touchup, wax. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way.

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Broadway, VA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
Hardware
Pinball Haus
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 59.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 14.95
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside