• Latest reply 1 year ago by wugly
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG

#1 2 years ago

I am working on a space mission pinball which is in infinite reset. I have a closed path on the zero position switches for the reels. I have put card stock in all the switches checked in the vicinity of the switches for bridgeing and have not seen it and have also pulled all the jones plug connections to the back box so that I know the short problems are contained within the back box. any ideas where I might be missing the short. the big problem is that the wires are so old and dirty that trying to read the wire color codes is almost impossible

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from wugly:

I am working on a space mission pinball which is in infinite reset. I have a closed path on the zero position switches for the reels. I have put card stock in all the switches checked in the vicinity of the switches for bridgeing and have not seen it and have also pulled all the jones plug connections to the back box so that I know the short problems are contained within the back box. any ideas where I might be missing the short. the big problem is that the wires are so old and dirty that trying to read the wire color codes is almost impossible

I'm by no means an EM expert, but I actually had a Space Mission do the same thing once. Wound up being one of my relays in the bottom cabinet bank that lost its retaining pin. The relay fell just enough off the mounting rail to trigger a reset loop. I chased the issue to the backbox as well, but this wound up being my issue. This likely isn't your problem, but it is worth sharing.

#3 2 years ago

How far does it get here?

Capture (resized).PNG
#4 2 years ago

the reset coil in the main body stays energized after the score reels zero out but I still can read conductivity across the zero switches as if something in that path is shorted. if I pull the coil open for a moment the game starts and plays normally since I opened a self switch on the coil that keeps it energized until everything zeros out. since I disconnected from the main body to isolate any problems in the main body I still read conductivity on the zero position switches even with card stock inserted in all 16 of them. is there anyplace else were we might have a cross connection. this unit was a project machine that someone else worked on. I repaired two wires in it there were both yellow on the score reels which provided power to the zero position switch at the same time when I was cleaning the stepper on the coin unit in the head that controls which players score gets added too. of the machine. I think it is odd that the wires were not broken but bad soldered that they fell apart. I think someone might have tried replacing a reel or two and maybe the yellow wire were daisy chaining to a reel that was improperly wired. hard to tell the condition or wires is so dirty on cloth wires that I can not read color codes. going to try to unsolder the repair and see if that fixes things. I have found chimes plugged into wrong connections and knocker desoldered.

#5 2 years ago

First thing to do is to track things down and see what is wrong/doesn't belong. Jipe!

1 month later
#6 1 year ago

found a short in the wiring harness. one of the daisy chain zero position wires came out of the harness for 1/2 inch. and ducked under a light socket. when i serviced a stepper unit it slightly tugged the wire and pierced the insulation.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside