Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I am new to Em s. I told myself I was t going to touch the machine until I read the em bible. I made the mistake of gaping some blades I seen touching thinking they were supposed to be all open. Now no matter what I do gap or no gap the game won't reset or start a new game when I push the button. Here is a pic to show where the stupidly occurred. I have already been tought a lession. I will learn from. [att=2797805,583351 caption="image.jpeg"]

#2 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#3 8 years ago

With the machine unplugged, you can manually operate the relay armature and see which switches are supposed to open and close. For example if you see a particular switch open with the armature relaxed, and see it is still open when you press the armature then it is out of adjustment.

#4 8 years ago

With a no start I would first check to see if there is power getting to the start button switch. Do you have a multi-meter and schematic? Depending on whether there is or isn't power to the start button switch, it will give us an idea of what switches to check in the reset circuit...

#5 8 years ago

Thanks gents. So I totally get what Mr Fury is saying. I have those switches now functioning the way they are supposed to open and close. I still have the problem. Game will not start. I have checked all four fuses in the front and they are good. Do I now start with what Fred suggested and check if there is power to the switch? The game functioned well and started before, I spent five mins poking around in the head, and now I have no start. I thought it may have been the switches I messed with but they controlled scoring switches and appear to all be working.

Whats next to try?
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

#6 8 years ago

Silly question but are there credits on the machine or, if it his been converted to Free Play, is that switch on the credit unit making good contact?

#7 8 years ago

The game seemed to be on free play but I do notice the credit counter does move. I will have a look in that area though. Thanks

#8 8 years ago

mr art you nailed it. The switch on that credit mech at the top seems dirty or needs some attention. I triggered it manually and the game restarted and reset and is cool again but seems intermittent on the button push so I will clean that up tonmorow.

When I got the game the credits were blank just a white block. I seemed to get endless games from
Just pushing the start button. Then I was testing the mechanism and manually toggling it. (Rookie mistake?) and it's now scrolling on the numbers and is using credits. Do U figure it's not on free play now somehow ? Thanks

#9 8 years ago

You need to to start at the beginning and tell what is actually happening.
Turn the machine off and back on, are there any lights on? As MrArt2u asked do you have credit? manually move the credit unit to a number like 10, even if it is set up for free play. Do you have a light on the apron lite, indicating credit?
watch and listen time, with the play filed up press the credit button, does anything happen?

#10 8 years ago

and bugger, you resolved while i was still typing.
Good on you.

#11 8 years ago

Hi sd29travis
in the old times the pins were on locations - no player had access to the inside of the pin. The manufacturer had made a circuitry with the "Replay-Button / Credit-Button / Start-Button to close" in that circuitry. The closed circuitry lets the Replay-Counter step down by one step. And they added another switch into that circuitry - in SERIES with the Replay-Button ("behind"): If one or both switches are open: NO current to the Replay-Counter. This second switch will open when the Replay-Unit steps down from 1 replay to Zero Replay.

When we set the pin to "Freeplay" we simply make the "Switch on Replay-Counter" beeing closed "all the time". Some people do bend a blade on the switch - I prefer to solder-on a short "visibly brand-new" wire - connecting the "solderpoints on the blades (where the original wires are soldered-on)" - and I make a little dokumentation: This short wire is to have the pin on "Freeplay".

When the Replay-Counter steps from "One" down to "Zero": It may open TWO switches. Here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2253&picno=2147 , on the left, above the text "Flipper Button" You see a "round plastik lighted" - the information to the player "THERE ARE Credits on the Replay-Counter". Maybe You want to set "permanently closed" both switches, so this light is lit permanently ?

When You start a new game when the Replay-Unit is on Position-Zero: The Unit tries to step down one position - but is mechanically hindered (no problem).

So if You HAVE credits on the counter: It will step down. Greetings Rolf

#12 8 years ago

thanks rolf and mr fury.few funky things happening with this game now. Every day is a new adventure so I appreciate your help.

Now that I can re set the game manually by triggering the top switch on the credit counter mech. What is the first step in troubleshooting why I can not start the game from the start button beside the coin door.

Thanks for the help guys

#13 8 years ago

Hi sd29travis
WHAT funky things ?
I read your post-12 as "When I (You) push onto the 3-blade-switch mounted on top of the Credit-Unit the pin starts, does reset, I might start a game for another player, I can play until I get to Game-Over. The only thing not working is: I cannot START a game by pushing the "Replay-Button on the front of the pin / near the player". Is that reading correct ?

When You push the Replay-Button a circuitry should be established: Switch-on-Coin-Door - wires - Jones-Plug (connecting Coin-Door and bottom of Cabinet) -> wires / (switches / relays) -> wires inside up into the Backbox -> Jones-Plug (connecting Cabinet and Backbox) -> wires -> the "Zero-Switch*** on Replay-Unit. Somewhere in this You have a "open".
Zero-Switch**: The switch we manipulate for "Free-Play".

I would check first all Jones Plugs. Unplug the 110 VAC Line-Cord. Look at the Coin-Door - can You see "wires are soldered-on at the Replay-Button ?" ? Look at the Jones-Plug (connecting Coin-Door and Bottom of Cabinet): wires soldered-on (onto the male part) ? Unplug the Plug and look at the socket -> wires soldered-on on the lugs of the socket ? Is there Oxidation on the Plugs ? Push-in, pull-out, push-in, pull-out several times to "clean".
Go to the Backbox and do the same with the Jones-Plugs "make connection with the Backbox".
Please write about.
Maybe we must follow the schema (in ipdb.org) looking for wire-colors and switches / relays involved - maybe use a Jumper-Wire / Test-Light (?). In the schema, page-1 at D-3 I see the Replay-Button / Credit-Button. We must check the connection "Transformer-Yellow -> -> -> Credit-Button -> -> -> "Coil on Credit Unit Reset" -> -> -> "Transformer Power-side".
Greetings Rolf

#14 8 years ago

Here is a video I made that shows the complete reset sequence of the Space Mission (And most 4 player Williams games of the period):

#15 8 years ago

Go Steve, that vid has done some work now!!

#16 8 years ago

Awesome video Steve!

#17 8 years ago

Steve your a newbies best friend. Thanks man!!

#18 8 years ago

Before I started into the info you guys gave me I remembered that when I first got the game the credit wheel was showing a blank space in the credit window. I manually clicked the wheel over into the blank spaces until it stopped clicking. I pushed the reset button at the front and the game restarted. Now if I only understood why.

#19 8 years ago

Did you ever read the EM bible? I highly recommend reading it. Then read it again before you touch anything, and then, as you begin working out the kinks, keep your pc within arms reach of the machine. You will get great advice here, but there is no substitute for getting a good foundation of knowledge.

Good luck with it! I'm picking up a Space Mission in a couple of days. Great game!

#20 8 years ago

hey Bob! That's awesome space mission seems like a pretty sweet em! oh I totally agree with u. I'm reading my bible whenever I get the chance. This issues were a chain reaction of a couple of bone head moves I made cause I was touching things I had no business touching yet. Lessoned learned and I'm off to study my bible before I do anything else

Good luck with your SM

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from sd29travis:

I manually clicked the wheel over into the blank spaces until it stopped clicking.

curious, you say toy clicked the credit unit till it would not go no more...
I believe there are switches that tell the game what to do, which are moved by a peg on the gear wheel.
I do not think the reel shud go past the first or second click of blanks in window.
You may want to look at that step unit again, and look closely at the switches that peg moves, and make sure they are workin correctly.
You may have caused a switch blade to flip over the peg, and be on the wrong side of the peg.
just a guess...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-mr-fury-or-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.