spacemission3 (resized).JPG
spacemission2 (resized).JPG
spacemission1 (resized).jpg
SM3.jpg
SM2.jpg
SM1.jpg
#1 2 years ago

Can any EM geniuses help with this one?

I've reached my troubleshooting limit with this game. The game was completely dead when I bought it. I've gotten it to the point where it plays good but all four 100,000 point lights are always lit on the backbox and the tilt light will not turn on even though the game stops when the tilt is triggered. When looking at my schematics, the four 100,000 point lights and tilt seem to be somehow connected, possibly? I'm not great at reading schematics so any help would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

SM1.jpgSM1.jpgSM2.jpgSM2.jpgSM3.jpgSM3.jpg
#2 2 years ago

Are those 4 100,000 pt. relays energized all the time? I don't have a machine here, but I think those relays may be in the head.

If the tilt function is working correctly other than the light, either that switch in series with the light is not closing or making electrical contact, or you have a bad light socket, burned out bulb, or broken wire/connection in that circuit.

#3 2 years ago

Tilt light circuit is pretty simple. I suspect a burn out bulb, or the the tilt relay's switches are not making good contact. Otherwise look for a broken wire, at the bulb, jones plugs, or at the tilt relay.

The 100,00 lights are managed by latch/release relays. These relays have two coil, one to lock and one to release. If they are always on, even at the beginning of a game. check to see if the 100,000 re-latch relay pulls during the reset cycle. (this should turn the light's off) 3rd picture in Red.

Otherwise check if the switches that manage the lights are too close. (1st picture in green)
Or
if the 9th position switch on the score reels are closed at zero instead of open. (2rd picture in Yellow)
spacemission1 (resized).jpgspacemission1 (resized).jpgspacemission2 (resized).JPGspacemission2 (resized).JPGspacemission3 (resized).JPGspacemission3 (resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

The 100,00 lights are managed by latch/release relays. These relays have two coil, one to lock and one to release. If they are always on, even at the beginning of a game. check to see if the 100,000 re-latch relay pulls during the reset cycle. (this should turn the light's off) 3rd picture in Red.
Otherwise check if the switches that manage the lights are too close. (1st picture in green)
Or
if the 9th position switch on the score reels are closed at zero instead of open. (2rd picture in Yellow)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Here are my results:

All 9th position switches are open normally and close when the reel reaches 0.

All switches that control the 100,000 lights operate correctly when making contact.

I’ve found that the re-latch coils DO NOT fire when starting a game. If I manually trip them, the 100,000 lights turn off and come on correctly when the score reaches 100,000.

So the problem seems to be the re-latch coils not firing at start of a game. How do I track down that connection?

As for the tilt light issue, I know the bulb is good but am going to leave that issue on the back burner until I figure out the 100,000 reset issue.

#5 2 years ago

The reset relay is on the Mech. Panel the Latch/reset relay's are in the head.

Because the score reel are resetting correctly (Same switch manage both) I would suspect a broken wire/solder joint.

I would look at the blue-w wire from the reset relay. Check the jones plugs and the latch/reset relay's coils.
I suspect one has become loose.

Also check the black wire. (The other side of the coils).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-is-almost-playing-perfect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.