Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2325[1] (resized).JPG
F3E866E2-A136-45AA-A60F-87C4CD49F99B (resized).jpeg
2224AF04-6C2A-4603-8BD8-260667943B5D (resized).jpeg
IMG_8161 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I'm working on my son-in-law's Space Mission. The goal is to get it up and working so my two grandsons can grow up playing pinball. The machine has lots of problems that I can't resolve so far. So I will be posting a bunch here about it.

Problem #1. The Coin Door Mechanism won't let the quarters drop down into the coin box. Instead the quarters always get diverted to the coin return slot in the coin door.

I messed with this last night and couldn't figure it out. I saw how the coin mechanisms are spring loaded and open up to one side. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to divert the quarters down to the coin box so they would activate the little wire credit switches.

On the outside of the coin door there is a coin release button mechanism that is supposed to help you get your quarters back to the coin return slot. When I press on the button I see that a lever presses down on a bar that pushes some levers. It seemed to be working fine and not stuck in the down position.

When I activate the wire credit switch that the quarters would move, the credit wheel adds a credit....so that part is good electrically.

Any advice. I'll post a few photos tonight.

#2 1 year ago

Is the game on when you are testing? The quarters will always be rejected if the game is off. When the game is on and the score motor is not active the Coin Reject mech is what you need to look at. It should be engaging/disengaging depending on the game state. Many times this coil is burned out or disconnected, so the mech isn't working as intended.

#3 1 year ago

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't even thinking about the coil not pulling in on the coin door. Thanks Xenon75. I'll check that out to be sure. I think the machine was on because I could move the wire switch with my finger and add credits to the credit unit and the knocker would go off.

I'm also not sure if I am missing some hardware from the coin door/coin mechanisms. I'll post photos.

#4 1 year ago

You can also put the game on "free play" by adjusting a switch on the credit unit in the back box. Instructions at this link:
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#5 1 year ago

For comparison, here's a photo of the coin door on a Space Mission that I restored many years ago. (I no longer have the game.) I know that I set the game on free play, so I don't recall whether I bothered to get the coin mechanisms and switches working.

As mentioned above, you see that there is a small coil on the side of each coin mech. If those coils aren't energized, then all inserted coins will be diverted to the coin return.

For home use games, I'll usually disconnect one of the wires to each of those two coils. If I'm going to be using the coin slots, then I'll also remove the moving components that are actuated by the coils. Or, I've sometimes just removed both coil assemblies entirely.

IMG_8161 (resized).JPGIMG_8161 (resized).JPG
#6 1 year ago

Thanks Mnrocketry. Awesome information. I'll check the coin mech coils on the coin door. I bet they were not working.

#7 1 year ago

Looks like one of the coin door coils has been removed and the other one is not activating. So I guess that explains why the quarters always end up in the coin return slot.

2224AF04-6C2A-4603-8BD8-260667943B5D (resized).jpeg2224AF04-6C2A-4603-8BD8-260667943B5D (resized).jpegF3E866E2-A136-45AA-A60F-87C4CD49F99B (resized).jpegF3E866E2-A136-45AA-A60F-87C4CD49F99B (resized).jpeg
#8 1 year ago

If the machine has lots of problems as you say, do yourself a favor and just set it to free play
You'll eliminate one problem now and avoid more problems in the future.
Plus, the authenticity of inserting a quarter to start a game seems cool at first but it wears off quickly.

Just not worth the headache, IMO.

If your really set on it using coins, you can set it to free play now, get the other problems fixed and tackle the coin-op portion last.

#9 1 year ago

I jumpered voltage to the coin door lockout coil and it drew in. When the coin door lockout coil was energized, the credit button would start a game.

IMG_2325[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2325[1] (resized).JPG
#10 1 year ago

Problem was the bottom switches on the score motor index cam were not touching. For some reason there was fish tape between the switches. Reconfigured the switch stack and the coin lockout solenoid powers in when the game is turned on and the credit button starts a game and adds players.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Looks like one of the coin door coils has been removed and the other one is not activating. So I guess that explains why the quarters always end up in the coin return slot.[quoted image][quoted image]

There's only one lockout coil on the door. It operates all the chutes.

#12 1 year ago

Awesome! It’s working great now that the switch on the index score motor cam is closed.

That’s good to hear that I’m not missing a coin lockout solenoid. It was looking like there was only 1, so I was a little confused.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-coin-mechanism and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.