CF43A487-C263-486A-B2AE-047E5E85DAC7 (resized).jpeg
0Sp-Mi-Work-27 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
B33BC9A5-350C-4659-B7F9-D3015A8C7A24 (resized).jpeg
FE1D8734-7A7B-459F-9E3F-26276926826C (resized).jpeg
529EF754-44B5-480B-9325-D2713E7925AF (resized).jpeg
0B3FD458-81A5-4EA3-9172-920F7078B994 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider currieddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

but the ball return kickout was struggling to kick ball over to the shooting lane.

Check this score motor sw. and/or the make/break on the Outhole relay. And which two relays in the back keep running?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#4 5 years ago

The two relays are likely 1&2 and 3&4 reset. Look like this? They'll keep trying to reset as long as you have the reel problems.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#15 5 years ago

For the ball kickout also check the score motor sw. I pointed out before, 4A, and check these two score motor sw. (the pulse reset) for the running backbox relays. The contacts need to be clean and making well.

#18 5 years ago

Check P.7 of the superb manual for the reset operation and make sure everything is doing what it should: https://www.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Instruction_Manual_Jan_1976_no_schematics.pdf

The thing to figure out is why the reset relays in the backbox keep firing. Are all the contacts clean and making good contact? It's great fun trying to check double-stacked switches, so you're best off removing the top row so you can get in and carefully sand the contacts with 600# sandpaper and make sure that they are making contact when they should and remaining open/closed when they should.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I cleaned all the switches on the score motor, outhole relay, and kicker switch but no change.

That was quick. Go back and check what I added to my last post.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

The Score-Motor-Switch IND-D is faulty

Good catch, Rolf!! So, Sea Wolf, another thing to look at: Index-D ...

#30 5 years ago

Here is another must-read reference: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

this time the spinning target didn’t move

Do you mean the center Swinging Target?

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I only gently cleaned a few switches yesterday

I would go back and carefully look at everything you did and make sure nothing is bent, shorting, etc. Gently push the plastic pieces that hold the switches and look closely to make sure they make contact where they ought to and open when they ought to. Don't do anything new til things are sorted out. And stay calm and do your breathing; we've all been there!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

This machine is not going to let “me” sleep.

Sometimes it's good to step back for a bit and think things over. Pins are pretty logical: good contact must be made, bad/poor contact avoided, etc. If something needs to be energized by another thing and isn't, it won't work. If you look at the link in post 30 and read down there is a part about reading schematics. Check that and try to follow some things thru on the schematic. Do something simple to start, like on the 6v. side (lites, on the left). Once you get the concept it's easier.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

1. The middle rollover lane at the top (which says Extra Ball when lit) lights up almost immediately after shooting a ball.
2. The 1000 point light under the Spinner on the left of playfield lights up almost immediately as well at the beginning of a game without me earning either light to come on. I also had a game last night where the left outlane ‘Special’ light came on almost immediately after I shot a ball up top. Something seems to be tripping these lights.
3. The ball return kickout to the shooter lane is weak. It fires but it doesn’t kick with much force and therefore it takes 4-5 pulses to finally get the ball to the shooter lane and it barely gets there.

Check this circuit for problem #1. And for the weak kickout, did you check the things I noted about that in past posts?

I had a problem with that upper extra ball RO coming on, along with it giving double-bonus on the side kickouts early, that turned out to be a short. This could be similar, so look carefully for things touching that shouldn't.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

The score motor switches have got me scared a little so I probably need to check again.

Loosen the two screws that are on the switch stack first and clean the contacts with 600# sandpaper and/or a swab with 91# rubbing alcohol. Hold the sides of the stack when re-tightening the screws to make sure that everything is lined up correctly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider currieddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-ball-lockout-and-score-motor-issues?tu=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.