Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
Capture1 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Manual @ ipdb:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Instruction_Manual_Jan_1976_no_schematics.pdf

Schematic @ ipdb:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

My Space Mission had a recently solved scoring issue that has been solved.

Now the previously working top rollovers are not scoring as they should. Both outer ones ((of the three))remain on / lit / will score target value. Noticed the CHANGE RELAY was locked on. Found that the match unit / alternator is not moving - believe it was fine 48 hours ago. Manually advance MU, CHANGE RELAY releases, lane lights both go out. So in my fixing I must have 'mis-poked'. Suggestions please.

#2 4 years ago

If this unit is similar to the unit in Grand Prix it was very touchy about being set right. The switch that rides the cam (that turns the change relay on) can put too much pressure on the cam and prevent it from turning. It needs the lightest touch riding the cam.

This assumes that the 10s relay is telling the unit to advance.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the come back @Cheddar -

Quoted from Cheddar:

This assumes that the 10s relay is telling the unit to advance.

Assume nothing.
I miss the most obvious!

Does the current to the match unit come from a switch on the 10 pt relay or a switch on the 10's score reel or other. I think the unit is not getting power as it worked fine two days ago and hasn't been fiddled with much

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphod:

Thanks for the come back @Cheddar -

Assume nothing.
I miss the most obvious!
Does the current to the match unit come from a switch on the 10 pt relay or a switch on the 10's score reel or other. I think the unit is not getting power as it worked fine two days ago and hasn't been fiddled with much

The No Match Unit is driven by the 5000 relay (who knew?) and switch 2B on the score motor
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 4 years ago

So how does that work? Does the 5000 relay close which opens that switch, the motor cycles and just after the 5000 switch closes the 2B on the Long Dwell cam closes causing the MU to advance one?

Tried to clean the 2B and the 5000 pt relay switches - no change - don't think the power is there.

#6 4 years ago

Did you check sw. A on the Change? and note how 5000 is energized.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#7 4 years ago

Thanks for input currieddog.

The change relay switch A does cause the rollover lane lighted to be on when the match relay is manually rotated, then of when moved a bit more. As the relay stays locked on if left in that position due to the MU not advancing resulting in a very warm coil, I move it to the position that has the change relay off while troubleshooting.

Did not see the 5000 target EOS note. Will look at that now - then need to pack for pintastic - joy!! Those switches are a pain to view, Assuming the EOS is the top of the stack.

6 months later
#8 4 years ago

Did this ever get figured out? Just perusing Space Mission threads since I’m working on mine and got curious about the match unit / alternator workings.

PS - Since the 5000 pt switch is NC, the match unit will end up advancing every time the score motor runs for any other reason (50 pts, 500 pts, bonus countdown, shooters firing, Super Advance, etc). Just clarifying since the posts above made it sound like the match requires a 5000 score to advance.

PPS - I’d love to know why they blocked this for 5000 pt scores .. on the surface that seems pretty arbitrary. I’m guessing just a pseudo random element to throw in to make predicting the match more difficult?

#9 4 years ago

Have yet to get back to it. Pin repair put on hold while a bunch of remodeling projects (including climate control for the basement!) get done! Hopefully can get back to the four stalled projects next month! Kill me to see em stacked and the box from PBR stilling on top.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-alternator-match-unit-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.