DEB0750C-29BD-490A-8FB8-846D49FBCE1A (resized).jpeg
2D5E0C09-5D09-4E85-A444-5259C76E22E3 (resized).jpeg
Credit Unit (resized).PNG
5Versus6 (resized).PNG
TimingScheme (resized).png
Schematic2 (resized).png
Schematic1 (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hi Folks, Im having troubles getting 6 plays per 25 Cent coin out of my space mission.
Adjustments: 25 Cent: 6 plays, 10 Cent: 3 plays, 5 Cent: 1 play, 1 play for 1 coin 3 plays for 2 coins: off
As far as I understand, the following should happen if I throw in a 25 Cent coin:
First Step (highlighted green):
The 25 Cent Coin closes 25 Coin Switch and energizes the coil of the 25 Cent Relay.
Second Step (highlighted orange):
25 Cent Relay is hold by Score Motor switch 5b
Third Step (highlighted yellow):
Score motor ist started by 25 Cent Relay switch.
Schematic1 (resized).pngSchematic1 (resized).png
Fourth Step (highlighted red):
Credit unit Set Up Coil is energized through 25 C Re Switch and Index Score Motor Switch E. First play is credited. (Note on-off designators shown in the highlighted 1 Coin=1Play 2 Coins=3 Play Adjustment Jack would have to be exchanged in the schematic)
Fith Step (highlighted grey):
Scoremotor contact Imp-B pulses 5 times, Game 2 to 6 are credited.
Schematic2 (resized).pngSchematic2 (resized).png
The timing should look like this:
TimingScheme (resized).pngTimingScheme (resized).png
Actually I only get 5 plays. I verified, that the schematic is right (i.e. the path highlighted in red is open due to the 1 coin..1play adjustment jack). Now if the schematic is right, where should I get my 6.th play from (in the timing scheme this would be the first play)?
Thanks
Patrick

#2 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside and well done on the analysis. I think the 1st pulse to the Credit Unit Step Up solenoid should come through the path you highlighted in red above. The 25c relay starts the Score Motor when it fires. But there should be a very brief period at the start of the Score Motor cycle when both the 25c relay switch and the Motor IND E switch are closed which should generate a pulse to advance the Credit Unit. Soon after the Score Motor starts turning the Motor IND E switch opens which disables that path and allows the five later pulses from the Motor IMP B switch to advance the Credit Unit five more times.

If you disable the Score Motor by removing its jones plug from the Motor Service Jack you should be able to activate the 25c relay and see the Credit Unit Step Up solenoid activate. Both will probably lock on without the motor running so cut the power soon after, but the exercise should tell you whether that path is working.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Hi Mark thanks for the quick reply.
Good idea to use the Motor Service Jack!
After disableing the score motor, upon the 25 cent coin switch closing, three relays are energized: reset relay, coin relay und 25 cent relay. The credit unit does not move.
When manually engaging the 25 cent Relay, without closing the 25 cent coin switch, reset relay and coin relay are energized, credit unit does not move.
Right now it's midnight at my home, so I have to postpone further experiments and analysis.
Don't understand, why the coin relay is energized. Checked the Credit unit end of stroke switches, they are open.
Patrick

#4 2 years ago

Hi,
first thing in the morning I checked the machine and the schematics. The red path has to be different from my first post. As the machine enegizes the coin relay upon a 25 cent coin (score motor still in no service position), the schematic is right and my earlier assumption is wrong. Should look like this:
5Versus6 (resized).PNG5Versus6 (resized).PNG
The line to the very right (right end of the red highlight) energizes the coin relay.
So now I am looking even harder for the 6-th. play. The grey highlight gives 5 plays. The marine highlight doesn't seem to provide a game.
There must be a reason for the extra effort to energize the coin relay when 1 or 6 balls are needed (red highlight). But I don't get it.
The Coin relay can start the score motor. Can it be, that in the 6 play setting, the score rotor runs a full revolution (360 °, two cycles) instead of only half a revolution (180°, 1 cycle)? But if so, wouldn't there be 10 plays?

By the way, schematic uses "play" as far as the credit unit ist concerned, but also "game over". Are "play" and "game" the same thing or is there a difference?
Patrick

#5 2 years ago

Solution?
Just recognized, that the 25 Cent coin automatically starts a play, while the 10 Cent coin doesn't. So the missing play seems to be the one started automatically without setting up the credit unit.
Patrick

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PatrickMetzler:

Solution?
Just recognized, that the 25 Cent coin automatically starts a play, while the 10 Cent coin doesn't. So the missing play seems to be the one started automatically without setting up the credit unit.
Patrick

If you didn’t already I think the test for this would be to 0 out the credits, drop in a quarter and you should get a ball in the shooter lane and 5 credits in the wheel.

#7 2 years ago

I think you're both right. It looks like the 25c switch should get you a new game and 5 credits even if you have credits already, as long as you don't go over the credit limit.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think you're both right. It looks like the 25c switch should get you a new game and 5 credits even if you have credits already, as long as you don't go over the credit limit.

To that point i wonder if 2 quarters would drop a ball in the lane, light that 2 players are in game and 10 credits on the wheel?
I have a Space Mission in queue for a restoration so Im also wondering for myself.

#9 2 years ago

Hi Mark and mrm,
mrm is right, starting with 3 games on the credit wheel, after first coin there are 8 games on the credit wheel and "1 player can play" light is on. Second coin increases wheel to 13 and "2 player can play" ligth is on.

My credit wheel is of by two games. (When the "1" has changed to blank, I still get two games. Can the credit unit wheel be adjusted? From cleaning the swinging target unit, I know there the finger wheel can not be adjusted rotation wise on the axle.

While the bonus is added correctly at the end of a ball, double bonus does not count up enough. Assume there could be a problem with the double bonus relay dropping too early.

The rest on my machine seems to me ok. So if you need some details during restauration, I can provide photos or measurements.

#10 2 years ago

Can the credit unit wheel be adjusted?

If you can't turn the credit unit number wheel, you can either move the small metal post that sticks out of the side of the credit unit ratchet gear, or change the way that metal post interacts with the switches mounted on the credit unit itself.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you can't turn the credit unit number wheel, you can either move the small metal post that sticks out of the side of the credit unit ratchet gear, or change the way that metal post interacts with the switches mounted on the credit unit itself.

Should I start a new thread for this?
The image shows the count up coil (1), the count down coil (2), the end of credit switch (3) and the maximum credit switch (4). The rod number 5 actuates the end of credit switch (3). Rod number 6 actuates the maximum credit switch. Most of the assembly looks original. The only suspect part is rod number 5. Looks like this one is added later.
The credit wheel is form fit on the axle (0 degree or 180 degree). So to correct the number of displayed credits, I would have to bend Switch 3, which looks original. Rod number 5 moves to much if relocated. Does anybody have an image of an original credit unit for me to compare with?

Credit Unit (resized).PNGCredit Unit (resized).PNG
#12 2 years ago

Should I start a new thread for this?
The image shows the count up coil (1), the count down coil (2), the end of credit switch (3) and the maximum credit switch (4). The rod number 5 actuates the end of credit switch (3). Rod number 6 actuates the maximum credit switch. Most of the assembly looks original. The only suspect part is rod number 5. Looks like this one is added later.
The credit wheel is form fit on the axle (0 degree or 180 degree). So to correct the number of displayed credits, I would have to bend Switch 3, which looks original. Rod number 5 moves to much if relocated. Does anybody have an image of an original credit unit for me to compare with?[quoted image]

Id keep it in this thread.
I just had to adjust this stepper on my Strato Flite, I believe its the exact same unit and I have a Space Mission I can compare to however I havent worked on it so who knows how screwed up it is.

I took the extra post off and removed all credits so that the white post that is fixed to the wheel hit switch 3. I had to take the number wheel off because it was showing numbers with no credits. Now the white post hits the switch at 0 and leaves the switch and displays the number 1.

I then added the post you call 5 in the spot with a little notch and now I get max credits of 35 when it hits switch 4.

Hope this helps
2D5E0C09-5D09-4E85-A444-5259C76E22E3 (resized).jpeg2D5E0C09-5D09-4E85-A444-5259C76E22E3 (resized).jpeg
This is showing max credits DEB0750C-29BD-490A-8FB8-846D49FBCE1A (resized).jpegDEB0750C-29BD-490A-8FB8-846D49FBCE1A (resized).jpeg

#13 2 years ago

This is at 0 credits

6FB28917-75CA-48E0-9A99-0BFF5E0BD79D (resized).jpeg6FB28917-75CA-48E0-9A99-0BFF5E0BD79D (resized).jpegD30D9C0B-936F-4812-84E0-A48209452852 (resized).jpegD30D9C0B-936F-4812-84E0-A48209452852 (resized).jpeg
#14 2 years ago

Basically, here is what I would do to make it display the correct numbers and max credits in all of about 3 minutes.

Take the actual number wheel off and remove post 5
Push the lever in number 2 down several times until pin 6 spins back hits switch 3 (zeroing out your credits)
Now you should be able to reinstall the number wheel for the credit display and it will be a 0 or blank and if you push the arm of 7 one time it'll show 1 credit on the backglass.
Then you can add post 5 back in wherever you want your max credits
If you reference my picture the notch should put you in the mid 30s somewhere

#15 2 years ago

Thanks a lot, works like a charm now.
One last question just for my understanding. I disconnected the coin lock out coil some time ago, because it made to much noise. But the way I understand the schematics, the only instances it is not energized are "reset", "machine off", "score rmotor running" and "credit unit max credit is reached". This means, nothing stops the operator to throw in a 25 Cent coin, when Credit is 33. Thus he gets just 1 game for 25 Cents. What a bad deal! Adding a 25 cent coin, while all 4 players are activated reduces the number of games from 6 to 5. How would the oprator know about all this? Especially as the maximum amount of games is adjustable.
Once again thanks a lot!

#16 2 years ago

Thanks a lot, works like a charm now.
One last question just for my understanding. I disconnected the coin lock out coil some time ago, because it made to much noise. But the way I understand the schematics, the only instances it is not energized are "reset", "machine off", "score rmotor running" and "credit unit max credit is reached". This means, nothing stops the operator to throw in a 25 Cent coin, when Credit is 33. Thus he gets just 1 game for 25 Cents. What a bad deal! Adding a 25 cent coin, while all 4 players are activated reduces the number of games from 6 to 5. How would the oprator know about all this? Especially as the maximum amount of games is adjustable.
Once again thanks a lot!

Yeah youd miss out on some credits if you are that high in the wheel and dropped in a quarter. As for an operator knowing about it..... meh some would some wouldnt I dont think they would care as long as it took the quarter right?

The player might be bummed out though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-5-plays-instead-of-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.