4_sm_(resized).PNG
5_sm_(resized).PNG
2_sm_(resized).PNG
3_sm_(resized).PNG
IMG_1955_(resized).JPG
1_Sm_(resized).PNG

#1 7 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to get my Space Mission up to 100%. There are 3 final things I am trying to fix.

Score reset on 4th player 1000s reel. After cleaning the switches on both the reset relay and the reel a hundred times and trying to sort this out, I ran a jumper between the "0" switch on the reel to the lug on the coil and the reset seems to work fine. My question, is this a hack or a valid fix? I can't figure out why there is no wire that goes through this switch to the coil. It seems like on all of the other reels this is so. I couldn't find continuity from this switch to the lug like on the other reels. Maybe it is a 40 year old wiring mistake? I find no evidence of a wire missing. The wire seems to go from the switch into the wire bundle and back towards the player unit.

No 4th player option from the start button. I cleaned up the Coin Disc contacts and took it apart and cleaned it, and can manually make it go to 4 players. When I press the start button it starts player 1, then on a second push it starts 2 players, third push 3 players, and then I push the start button and NOTHING happens. No score motor or coin relay movement when trying to start 4th player.

When I drop a quarter in the coin slot (either slot) the score motor runs continuously and credits are added until it is maxed out. The score motor continues to run until I turn the machine off and restart it. It looks like the 25 cent Relay is locked on.

Does anyone have any input on these items? Thank you!

#2 7 years ago

Hello QuietEarp This should help you.

Manual >> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Instruction_Manual_Jan_1976_no_schematics.pdf

Schematic >> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2253/Williams_1976_Space_Mission_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

Quoted from QuietEarp:

When I drop a quarter in the coin slot (either slot) the score motor runs continuously and credits are added until it is maxed out. The score motor continues to run until I turn the machine off and restart it. It looks like the 25 cent Relay is locked on.

1st. In the manual page (using the # 7 on the actual page)Check the coin switches gaps at the door and see if they are touching , they shouldnt be which will give that issue.

Response ?

Quoted from QuietEarp:

I cleaned up the Coin Disc contacts and took it apart and cleaned it, and can manually make it go to 4 players.

2nd. How is the spring tension on the return spring ?
Do you see it trying to pull it to that 4th player and it fail to actuate ?
It may be the spring is too tight not allowing a step-up coil to overcome tension?

Response ?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:Score reset on 4th player 1000s reel.

Not much to it in the circuit.

1_Sm_(resized).PNG1_Sm_(resized).PNG

3rd. Ok that tells us the path between the 2 points is broken.
Check the wiring , solder connections and the jones plug also ?

#4 7 years ago

Coin switch looks good. Attached is a picture. Both switches look similar.

The Coin relay which starts the Coin Disc doesn't fire when I push start for player 4. Nothing happens at all. Nothing tries to happen as far as I can see when looking at the relays under the playfield when trying to start player 4. I can manually activate the plunger that will move the disc to start a 4th player.

I have been staring at the schematics a bunch this weekend, but have been staring at D+E 10-12. Didn't see that part that you are referencing (near C4) which should help track down the wiring. Reset relay, that should be in the cabinet, I will track that down.

Thank you for your help! I will work on this more tomorrow. I have to go play some pinball at a friend's house!

IMG_1955_(resized).JPGIMG_1955_(resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

Thank you for your help!

No problem.

Quoted from QuietEarp:

but have been staring at D+E 10-12.

Its in the D- 11- 12 area (just about by the black dot between the#`s ) location of the drum units thats where you were looking for it.

3_sm_(resized).PNG3_sm_(resized).PNG

Heres more on the 3 + 4 reset re. info the one that triggers it.

2_sm_(resized).PNG2_sm_(resized).PNG

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

It looks like the 25 cent Relay is locked on.

Thats the next thing to look at.
As you can see on the sch. located in the C - E / 6 - 7 area

5_sm_(resized).PNG5_sm_(resized).PNG

See how the 25 cent re. contacts when closed allow the credits to add. Which is what you are getting.

4_sm_(resized).PNG4_sm_(resized).PNG

Check the .25 re.contacts they should all be ( N.O. ) normally open gaps with the game off / un-energized state , adjust as needed....

#7 7 years ago

6_sm_(resized).PNG6_sm_(resized).PNG

7_sm_(resized).PNG7_sm_(resized).PNG

#8 7 years ago

I was all over that player 3+4 reset relay. That is fine. It was from there that I did not get continuity to the coil lug. I know I am getting good contact there as when I put an alligator clip jumper from there to the coil it works. I will follow those wires into the cabinet as discussed when I get a chance.
I will check out the 25 cent relay again, but it did look normal with no weird switches being bent.
The coin relay is working when I press start for a 4th player. I think the problem must be before that.
Thanks for your help Pin-it! I totally appreciate it! Tomorrow I am probably making a trade for some new games so I may be a bit distracted from this project, but I will keep at it.

Added over 8 years ago: i meant to say Coin Relay is NOT working

#9 7 years ago

No fourth player, the contact on the coin unit opens too soon.
Adjust it so it breaks the contact after the fourth player is added.

And for the coin system, look for te break contact on the score motor, if it doesn't break it will keep adding games.
If the coin relay is not working, try to clean the jones plugs, the one coming from the door but also the adjustment plugs.

#10 7 years ago

Hi,

I worked on the game a bit this morning.

I am happy with this fix for the 1000 reel reset issue for player 4 "I ran a jumper between the "0" switch on the reel to the lug on the coil and the reset seems to work fine"

I did reseat the Jones connector that changes the amount of credits added per coin and moved it from 6 to 2 and for some reason it works fine now. It adds 2 credits and the motor stops.

The no 4th player I was about to look into, but then I read the last post by wizardblom and I fixed the contact on the back of the coin unit by the coils that move the unit. It was opening one player too early. I adjusted it and now I can start a 4 player game!

Thank you to Pin-it and wizardblom for helping me out. I am going to move Space Mission into my house from my garage now that it is working to my satisfaction!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-4th-player-coin-switch-and-score-reel-fix-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.