Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

538BD0D2-9DF7-452E-B05E-089BF1F014CE (resized).jpeg
DSC05532 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Long time player, first time owner and forum poster. Have questions and I thank everyone in advance for their consideration with a newby. Bought machine from super nice guy who was just getting rid of it because he was moving supposedly, but I didn't see any boxes and the quirks it has leads me to believe he was motivated by desire to not pay for repair haha. The broken "2" switch was not apparent in test play, and too geeked to buy machine to notice some sounds were not normal.

It makes erratic clicking sounds for several seconds when locked ball release is activated.

Found this spring inside--could this be the culprit? Anyone know where this came from? There does not seem to be another spring this size in there to mirror it to.

Also when not in used, makes a undulating humming sound, maybe a bad ground?

Would posting video of clicking or humming help diagnose?

Any help greatly appreciated, pretty much resigned to the fact need to get an expert in house but thought this might be worth exploring in the meantime.

DSC05532 (resized).JPGDSC05532 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

I think your spring could be a flipper return spring and often times the flippers are rebuilt and old parts are stray in the bottom of the cabinet. Also, space jam and other sega/data east games click a lot because they have a solenoid that flashes the lights(general illumination), this is normal. I actually have a space jam and I don't like the flashing general illumination so I disabled it by pulling a resistor on the driver board so the lights just always stay lit instead of flashing which also eliminates the clicking. I could be wrong and your clicking could be something else, not sure. A video of the noises could help. good luck,

-Tom

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for your response. Making and uploading a video proving much too complicated, just uploaded it to youtube, here's a link. There's no way it should work like this.

#4 3 years ago

That clicking is normal although it seems extra loud in your video. You can see that every click corresponds to the general illumination lights going on and off. The humming is also kinda normal and it happens more on some games than others. I think there’s a resistor you can change out to reduce the speaker humming. My game doesn’t hum but my Austin powers did which uses a similar Cpu/sound board. I did the resistor mod on Austin powers and it worked. This is the speaker humming service bulletin for Austin powers: https://www.ipdb.org/files/4504/Stern_2001_Austin_Powers_Service_Bulletin_133.pdf

Also like I mentioned. On my game I didn’t like the general illumination flashing so I eliminated it by pulling resistor R254 out of the power driver board. This keeps the GI lights on all the time and stops the GI relay(your clicking sound) from turning the lights out and clicking. Attached is a pic showing my R254 with one leg pulled out. I just heated it with a soldering iron and pulled 1 leg out.

538BD0D2-9DF7-452E-B05E-089BF1F014CE (resized).jpeg538BD0D2-9DF7-452E-B05E-089BF1F014CE (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago

Thank you so much, really appreciate it. Will try and see how it works.

#6 3 years ago

I am such a noob. I don't have the key to the head section, it is not the same as the coin box. If the previous owner can't find one, what's best option: drill out, or call locksmith? Will these locks 'rake' open easily? My Lock Picking Lawyer youtube viewing has me wondering.

#7 3 years ago

Look inside the coin door for more keys. Might be hanging on a hook on back of coin door.

#8 3 years ago

Holy smoke. I am so glad to have met you. Found the keys, opened up and unsoldered the resistor and the game works click free. A far better experience for sure in my opinion. What an amazing website/forum.

Truly incredible how quickly question was diagnosed and repaired with your help. So easy. The guy I have been using for service probably not happy about it.

I owe you a drink at least, have a great holiday.

#9 3 years ago

Now another issue with ball not releasing properly from lock, magnet won't grab it, or solenoid that hits it off magnet dead. Found a disconnected white/purple connector that when reconnected causes other issues with missing balls.

Beginning to think this guy sold it because there were problems lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-jam-lock-ball-release-clicking-noise-and-mystery-spring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.