By dkazz1

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi all

I'm having a small issue with my Space Jam and am looking for a solution.

When I start it up, it always says "1 ball missing" whether its true or not. I went into the switch matrix test to verify all of the switches. First I looked at the issue with it fully loaded, then I loaded the balls one at a time to see if I could identify the problem.

When they are loaded one at a time, it identifies the first four seemingly fine (switches 11-14 activate) but when the 5th ball is loaded, switch 15 activates as "on" but correspondingly switch 11 turns off even though there are 5 balls loaded in there. I would assume they all should be on when fully loaded.

Any suggestions on the issue I'm having? Bad ground? Bad diode? Bad opto?

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 9 years ago

sounds like a switch adjustment or bad diode or wiring issue. Look underneath and make sure everything is as it should be. Make sure that when the 5th ball is added it is not making the first one move a little and unmaking switch 11. Know what I mean? Try readjusting the trough switches and you should find your problem.

#3 9 years ago

I would start with mechanical issues. Remove the apron and see what's happening. Move the first ball back slightly and see if it senses the ball when all are loaded. Check the trough for divots.

Post edited by terryb: Hawk beat me by a couple of seconds.

#4 9 years ago

I can physically activate the last switch manually (#15) and the minute that switch is activated, #11 goes off......it's weird. The switches themselves seem to be fine but It seems like one is cancelling out the other.

2 months later
#5 9 years ago

You ever resolve this problem?

#6 9 years ago

Nope, haven't worked on it in awhile. Getting cold, so I've been focusing on my games in the basement. Although I have some vacation time coming up so I'm sure I will get it resolved then.

4 months later
#7 9 years ago

I made a video of the issue, please take a look and let me know.

Opto's were replaced as were the switches underneath. Notice in the switch test.....just weird.

http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/dkazz111/media/Space%20Jam/9555B0BF-AF27-481A-B902-F0C5743BFB18_zps75zg1wlu.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

#8 9 years ago

Anyone?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

I can physically activate the last switch manually (#15) and the minute that switch is activated, #11 goes off......it's weird. The switches themselves seem to be fine but It seems like one is cancelling out the other.

So with all the balls removed, you close switch 11 with your finger and then close switch 15 with your finger and switch 11 goes from closed to open on the display?

#10 9 years ago

Watch the video. It's weird. Don't know if it's a crossed wire or what.......as I drop the balls in one at a time, it recognizes every one. But then the opto one falls off the minute the last one is activated.

#11 9 years ago

I can think of multiple reasons why dropping balls in could cause the problem and none of them would be wiring. If on the other hand the below happens then you may have a wiring problem. Just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Quoted from terryb:

So with all the balls removed, you close switch 11 with your finger and then close switch 15 with your finger and switch 11 goes from closed to open on the display?

So please try this and respond.

#12 9 years ago

I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the tips

#13 9 years ago

Just tried that out. The minute you have all 5 switches active, the one by the optos goes off, regardless. I intentionally tried tricking it like you had suggested, just having the last switch depressed then putting my finger by the opto, that was no problem. Then I would activate the other switches randomly, still no issue until I had the fifth active. Then it recognized all of them EXCEPT the opto one.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks, that's good info (even more informative than what I asked for). Check the voltage going to each of the five switches. Is the switch by the optos the last one in the column chain (it will have only one column wire attached instead of two if it is)?

The ball trough is switches, not optos, correct?

#15 9 years ago

Correct. All switches except the opto at end that kicks ball up. I think I found the issue. Looks like a diode missing on the lane shooter right next to the trough. Will let you know....

#16 9 years ago

Hmmm well that didn't work....the other thing I noticed is when the trough is loaded with all five balls and you manually activate the shooter lane switch, it keeps turning on/off instead of staying on. I have a feeling all of this is related......ugh....

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

the other thing I noticed is when the trough is loaded with all five balls and you manually activate the shooter lane switch, it keeps turning on/off instead of staying on.

Check the voltages (that may be the common factor). Also check the switch matrix and see if the shooter lane switch is on the same column or row as the trough switch.

Make sure you got the proper orientation of the diode on the shooter lane switch.

#18 9 years ago

I'm uploading some pictures of the switch in question to my photobucket stream. Will post pics shortly.

#19 9 years ago

Here is the pic of the switch that I question (ball lane switch). It goes nuts when all five balls are in the trough and then this one is activated. Wondered if it's as simple as the wiring is reversed.

http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/dkazz111/media/Space%20Jam/935E628D-358D-4238-9722-83609FEF6524_zpsw3zg1vfk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

#20 9 years ago

The wht-gry wire should go to the unbanded side of the diode. The grn-red wire should go to the other side of the switch and then through the switch to the banded side of the diode. See page 20 in the manual.

I'm getting kind of lost in your descriptions so please say the following again, but use switch numbers. It gets confusing because one of the switches is an opto.

Quoted from dkazz1:

Just tried that out. The minute you have all 5 switches active, the one by the optos goes off, regardless. I intentionally tried tricking it like you had suggested, just having the last switch depressed then putting my finger by the opto, that was no problem. Then I would activate the other switches randomly, still no issue until I had the fifth active. Then it recognized all of them EXCEPT the opto one.

Have you checked the voltages yet?

#21 9 years ago

Sorry about that. I'm not the electronics genius. But I better figure it out. lol Looks like someone did a repair on that switch and didn't hook the wires up directly. All those switches are on the same column so I assume the reversed wire could be the source of the problems.

Appreciate the help!

5 years later
#22 3 years ago

I just had similar issue. 1 missing ball, then 2, then 3. Multiball not working. Took out component that holds the balls and a piece of broken post protector fell in there preventing balls from advancing.

First ever repair without assistance. It was concerning because it happened shortly after removing resistor that causes all the clicking sounds.

I love this website.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-jam-ball-missing-issue?hl=libbylibby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.