You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RectifierBoard_J1_Playfield_Connector9.png
SpaceInvaders_RectifierBoard256.png

#1 1 year ago

Hi
Love your site, contacting yourselves due to not being able to continue adding to my post. I was wanting more advice on my machine. It's now playing games, well was. Anyways, the thread is archived & can't add anything. Can you un-archive it please so I can ask more questions about my machine (space Invaders 09770).
Thanks In Advance,
Jonny
Nottingham, uk.

#2 1 year ago

Hi Y'All.
O.K then, let's go and I'm so excited & all that.
My SI has a nine pin connector on the fuse/rectifier board. The schematics diagram for SI shows only a eight pin connector (1979 schematics).
If anybody could confirm the connectors correct connections that would great.
Also one of the solenoids coil overheated & melted away it's a 26-1900 that resets a bank of three drop downs in a block of three, I purchased the same 26-1900 coil and it came from a Bobine pin game from france. This is the right replacement part isn't it?
Thanks In Advance
Jonny

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyinGB:

Hi Y'All.
O.K then, let's go and I'm so excited & all that.
My SI has a nine pin connector on the fuse/rectifier board. The schematics diagram for SI shows only a eight pin connector (1979 schematics).
If anybody could confirm the connectors correct connections that would great.
Also one of the solenoids coil overheated & melted away it's a 26-1900 that resets a bank of three drop downs in a block of three, I purchased the same 26-1900 coil and it came from a Bobine pin game from france. This is the right replacement part isn't it?
Thanks In Advance
Jonny

Sounds like a driver transistor is shorted and locking the coil on. A coil is just a length of wire, it isn't going to make much (or any) difference in this manner. The wrong coil certainly won't just burn up.

Please go back to basics and learn some things you will HAVE to understand or you are in for a world of pain.

Each coil will have a diode across it - this MUST be connected to the correct wire and sometimes the diode will be installed a different direction on the coil so you MUST look and KNOW which wire to connect.

SI has additional GI lamps being a wide body machine so the extra pin is likely for those extra lamps - I wouldn't worry too much about that stuff right now, it is unlikely to be causing your issues.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and spend some time reading ALL THE WAY THROUGH the PinWiki on Bally SS machines. A lot of stuff will come to you if you read this information that has been painstakingly put together by lots of people 'in the know'.

If you can't be bothered to study up on this then just pay someone to come and look at the machine because, while many things might be straightforward, many are not! IN fact, changing coils and not knowing EXACTLY what you are doing may well have damaged the driver board in this instance.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyinGB:

The schematic for the actual rectifier board shows it correctly as 9-pin. The machine wiring diagram is just generic and in error for this game.

SpaceInvaders_RectifierBoard256.pngSpaceInvaders_RectifierBoard256.png

#5 1 year ago

so working from top to bottom the coloured wire and relevant circuits-
connector pin 1 - sw ill bus ,red wire.
connector pin 2 - gen ill return, Blue
connector pin 3 - SW ill bus, Blue
connector pin 4 - Gen ill bus, Brown
connector pin 5 - Solenoid bus, Orange
connector pin 6 - Spare
connector pin 7 - metal pin in board. blank in connector.
connector pin 8 - Gen ill bus, Green
connector pin 9 - Gen ill return, White.
The above is how mine is. Is it correct?
Thanks

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyinGB:

The above is how mine is. Is it correct?

The physical connector is numbered with pin 1 on the very left and pin 9 on the very right. So:
Pin 1 - Gen. Ill. Return, (white)
Pin 2 - Gen. Ill. Return, (green)
Pin 3 - spare
Pin 4 - key
Pin 5 - Gen. Ill. Bus, (orange)
Pin 6 - Solenoid Bus, (brown)
Pin 7 - Switched Ill. Bus, (blue)
Pin 8 - Gen. Ill. Bus, (red)
Pin 9 - Switched Ill. Bus, (blue)

RectifierBoard_J1_Playfield_Connector9.pngRectifierBoard_J1_Playfield_Connector9.png

#7 1 year ago

WOW - That 3D illustration - The sense of depth is unreal - I wanted to reach out & plug it in (thanks for spending time doing that), pity it's wrong answer.
The diagram you showed is for the connector that plugs in the playfield & not into the rectifier board. As I say/write (same feces as before) the schematics are for a 1979 SI. The SI machines were a production run, in that run (my SI 09770 is within that run - obviously) there were factory mods done (on assumption) due to field technical issues being reported from customers. So my SI has a third or fourth generation Reg/Rec board which has TEN pin spots as previously listed which is ONE more than ele/sch. diagram from machine ooooo1. I have the original manual, but no schematics.
The concepts not hard is it Quench. Below I've listed bits of your mail & my immediate English thoughts-

"Sounds like a driver transistor is shorted and locking the coil on. A coil is just a length of wire, it isn't going to make much (or any) difference in this manner. The wrong coil certainly won't just burn up."
Yes one coil + one driver on board burned, replaced both.
(message to admin - if this thread was unarchived I wouldn't need to be writing this feces again. Also Quench might answer a question correctly LOL)

"Please go back to basics and learn some things you will HAVE to understand or you are in for a world of pain." I do understand.

"Each coil will have a diode across it - this MUST be connected to the correct wire and sometimes the diode will be installed a different direction on the coil so you MUST look and KNOW which wire to connect." Know this already, thanks.

"SI has additional GI lamps being a wide body machine so the extra pin is likely for those extra lamps - I wouldn't worry too much about that stuff right now, it is unlikely to be causing your issues." Errrr no. Isn't true.

"Do yourself a HUGE favor and spend some time reading ALL THE WAY THROUGH the PinWiki on Bally SS machines. A lot of stuff will come to you if you read this information that has been painstakingly put together by lots of people 'in the know'." read & understood. @ this point in time quench please don't consider yourself "In The Know".

"If you can't be bothered to study up on this then just pay someone to come and look at the machine because, while many things might be straightforward, many are not! IN fact, changing coils and not knowing EXACTLY what you are doing may well have damaged the driver board in this instance." Above describes about driver board, here in the U.K pinball isn't a big thing so mobile technicians are a bit like rocking Horse feces. Thanks for the suggestion, NOT.

I think Quench that covers it.
Any help full replies, please bring-em on (is your user name what everyone does when you come into view).
Ta
Jon

#8 1 year ago

Sorry, no need for sarcasm from me.
All help is appreciated, and again my apologies to all.
Jon

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyinGB:

The concepts not hard is it Quench. Below I've listed bits of your mail & my immediate English thoughts-

Bits of my mail? All those quoted comments you listed were made by SOMEONE ELSE, NOT ME..

#10 1 year ago

Please check out the thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-kiss-schematic-errors-omissions#post-6748204 .

I posted corrections to the Kiss schematics which use the same transformer/rectifier board as space invaders and future spa. I was hoping someone with a SI or FS machine could verify the same errors in those schematics. I think your questions have already been answered, but verification of the schematic errors/omisions will help others in the future.

Quench seems to confirm the playfield wiring.

Thanks, Johnnybee

#11 1 year ago

Hi JohnnyBee,
I wired up the connector as per diagram on the link above, Your right a bout the end wire being blue (pin 9), sw ill bus. (the rest are all good as well).
Only reason I say that is that I have just played a short game on it, after initial led green (x6 flashes) self test. The infinity lights look awesome.
Still playing without coil for 3 drop target reset & kick out coils. Or score displays.
Also when the switch underside is turned on there is these 6-8 lights that are always on, since day I got the machine, any ideas?
Thanks Y'all.
JonnyB

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-wiring-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.