Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I picked up a Space Invaders a couple of weeks ago that was in need of a lot of work. I've fixed a lot of the cosmetic work and LED'ed the whole game. My last big hurdle was tracking down why none of the solenoids were working. After I repin J3 on the solenoid driver/high voltage board I should be good to go. For now I'm running a temporary jumper wire between TP1 and TP3.

My problem now is that most of the switches don't work. I've tracked down a switch matrix and the ones that work are all over the place. Specifically 6, 9, 10 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 34 and 35. It seems like most of the working switches are in the bottom of the playfield. I've found a couple of ceremic capacitors and diodes that were clipped on one of their legs and I've resoldered them. Is there anything else I should check?

#space-invaders

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Specifically 6, 9, 10 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 34 and 35.

Have you cleaned the contacts of these switches? How about verifying with your multi-meter that when you close these switches, they show zero ohms continuity (need to do this with the machine OFF).

#3 4 years ago

Did you check the diodes and capacitors before re-soldering them?

#4 4 years ago

I didn’t check the capacitors and diodes before i resoldered them. My mistake since they looked fine and not burnt up.

3 weeks later
#5 4 years ago

Quick update. I was able to get most everything working by changing out almost all of the the connectors on A4J2. I still can't get a couple of things working, which are the left and two middle parts of switch 05 (50 point reb) and 26 (right extra small ball lane). Now if I can fix those two, I'll be in great shape.

#6 4 years ago

Another update. I was able to get all of the 50 point reb switches (switch 05) working. By removing the switches and cleaning the contacts with a fiberglass eraser, they all started working again. Now to fix the left slingshot (the two switches work fine) and switch 26 (right extra small ball lane)...

#7 4 years ago

Don't go crazy with the eraser if you take off the gold plating the switches will get/continue to be flaky in the future. Only remedy once the flashing is gone is to replace the contact, switch blade, or entire switch. Some people have used Tweak audio contact enhancer in this situation but that's a bit of a hack, so last resort.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-switch-troublshooting-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.