Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Astill
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

large (resized).JPG

#1 6 days ago

Running a switch test I found a stuck switch #5. This is a 50 Point Reb. (4), Drop Target, and 4 Top Bumpers. I checked each one to make sure that the switches were not touching or anything interfering on the bottom side of the playfield.

I also have a switch that's not registering. Spinner switch #4. At this point, I'm not sure what direction to go next to correct these issues. Any Ideas?

#2 6 days ago

I found a broken diode on one of the #5 switch. And Switch #4 started registering. Still have the same problem with switch #5

#3 6 days ago

Have you unplugged the playfield and tested the matrix at the board to see if you have a board problem or a playfield problem?
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Switch_problems

#4 6 days ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Have you unplugged the playfield and tested the matrix at the board to see if you have a board problem or a playfield problem?
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Switch_problems

NO! That's a great idea! Thanks

#5 6 days ago

Disconnecting the J2 connector (playfield) makes the error go away. Guess that I will stick my head under the playfield again to see what I can find.

#6 6 days ago

I found a switch matrix chart. https://www.pinitech.com/switch_database.php?name=Bally_Space_Invaders&printview=1
I checked everything in Roll 1 and in column 5. Still looking.

#7 6 days ago

Quote from PinWiki

(There is a special test rom available that will walk through all the closed switches one at a time).

Where can I find this rom?

#8 6 days ago

Are you checking these switches with a DMM/Ohmmeter, or are you just looking at them?

#9 5 days ago

Just looking at them

#10 5 days ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Just looking at them

You really can't trust just your eyes when dealing with electronics. I had an F-14 Tomcat that had a shorted upright target switch. The blades were not touching, yet the mounting rivet was shorting the sections through the base. It couldn't be seen, but only measured with a meter. Just like checking fuses....you can see the obvious open fuse, but sometimes there is a break that you can't see.

large (resized).JPG
#11 5 days ago

Good point. I'll get the DMM out and check it out that way.

#12 5 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You really can't trust just your eyes when dealing with electronics. I had an F-14 Tomcat that had a shorted upright target switch. The blades were not touching, yet the mounting rivet was shorting the sections through the base. It couldn't be seen, but only measured with a meter. Just like checking fuses....you can see the obvious open fuse, but sometimes there is a break that you can't see.
[quoted image]

Sir you are correct! I un-soldered each switch then used the DMM to fine the one that was shorted. Thank you for the idea!

#13 5 days ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Sir you are correct! I un-soldered each switch then used the DMM to fine the one that was shorted. Thank you for the idea!

Your welcome. I guess I learned a little something in a lifetime of electronics. Glad to share and help out!

#14 5 days ago

most of the time its the little cap has shorted.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 10.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside