Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-939.jpg
image-506.jpg
image-38.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi, I recently purchased a space invaders pinball that seemed to be untouched for many years, I'm not an expert in the electrical aspect of pinball machines, and I don't want to mess around with things I don't fully understand, hopefully any advice that I will get I can pass on to a electrician to help make clear to him what the problems are and what needs to be done.

When I turn on the machine, there is a very loud hum coming from the cabinet speaker, this does not go away over time. The play field gi turns on, but only half of the backbox lights turn on ( tested with working bulbs ), none of the infinity backbox lights turn on.

The 'A2 transformer assy' (as 2877-3) board seems to have been pretty badly hacked, I have attatched some pictures to show what I mean, ( I have not changed the fuses so far in the board, but they seem to all be working, dangerously)

Perhaps this board needs to be replaced?

image-38.jpgimage-38.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-939.jpgimage-939.jpg

Next, only some of the score display boards turn on, but no digits are displayed, there is only a slight orange glow at the bottom of some of them.

image-506.jpgimage-506.jpg

Please could I have some advice on these issues, (hopefully not 'throw it all away' )

If more pictures would help, don't hesitate to ask for them.
Thanks,
Nikkyboy

#2 9 years ago

the loud noise is probably the transfo buzzing, that means you have a bad bridge rectifier.

all connections/parts on that board will need to be verified.

#3 9 years ago

If the rectifier is rough, the rest of the game probably is too. This means be prepared to redo lots of connectors.

First step is to get the power. You need to rebuild or replace that rectifier board. Rebuild would be new connectors, male and female, testing the bridges and diodes.

After that check all your voltages at the test points. Start at the rectifier board, then driver board, then MPU.

#4 9 years ago

BTW - the wires on the bottom of the power supply are normal, the soldering to the pins on top are a hack.

First thing I do to every pin I get is to rebuild the power supply, replace the bridge rectifiers, all the connector headers, and re-pin the connectors, then go after the other problems on the machine.

An Electrician? No, an Electronics Technician is what you need. You can do it yourself if you know how to solder, there is plenty of content on the web to support you, the best of which (IMO) are Clay Harrell's (difficult to find) guides. I buy the repair kits from BigDaddy: http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/. I'm sure there are folks here that would be happy to rebuild boards for you as well.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I will start with replacing bridge rectifier board and go from there, performing the tests mentioned to identify the other issues.

The electrician I mentioned is actually an electronics technician, just couldn't think of the correct term.

Thanks for all the help,
NikkyBoy

#6 9 years ago

First make sure you have the correct fuses in there. If there is a short you want the fuse to go instead of other electronics in the machine. That wire wrapped fuse is very scary and has to go!

#7 9 years ago

Good luck! If this forum has shown me anything, it is that you CAN polish a turd.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Good luck! If this forum has shown me anything, it is that you CAN polish a turd.

Thanks, I think I'll need all the good luck I can get!

Can anyone identify the problem with the displays, or are new ones needed?

#9 9 years ago

Displays are probably fine if they all glow. You need to get the MPU to boot before you can even begin to worry about the displays and you have a lot of work ahead of you.

#10 9 years ago

I want to replace the bridge rectifier board instead of repairing it, as I would like to save having to repair an old board along the line. I found a reproduction of the exact board I have (with the model number AS2877-3), although this has now sold out.

I have found another rectifier board from marco specialties, but this has a different part number.

link: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2518-18-1

In the item description it says it is compatible with space invaders, but I am not quite sure if this is true due to the different parts numbers.

So, Will this part be alright as a direct replacement for my old board?

Thanks,

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from nik2000:

I want to replace the bridge rectifier board instead of repairing it, as I would like to save having to repair an old board along the line. I found a reproduction of the exact board I have (with the model number AS2877-3), although this has now sold out.
I have found another rectifier board from marco specialties, but this has a different part number.
link: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2518-18-1
In the item description it says it is compatible with space invaders, but I am not quite sure if this is true due to the different parts numbers.
So, Will this part be alright as a direct replacement for my old board?
Thanks,

Not with out doing some hacking, which may stress connector pins. i would have to look at it further if there is unused pins anywhere or if you could safely double crimp a feature lamp bus pin somewhere.

The rectifier board in you game has a 9 pin connector at j1. the marco board has a 8pin connector at j1. The extra pin is for your fancy lights in the bacbox.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Not with out doing some hacking, which may stress connector pins. i would have to look at it further if there is unused pins anywhere or if you could safely double crimp a feature lamp bus pin somewhere.
The rectifier board in you game has a 9 pin connector at j1. the marco board has a 8pin connector at j1. The extra pin is for your fancy lights in the bacbox.

I guess I'll keep looking for a correct replacement. I probably should have compared the 2 boards further. Thanks.

#15 9 years ago

Hey barakandl, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that board need to be secured to the metal plate to act as a heatsink for the rectifiers?

http://rottendog.us/bps018.html
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=135-105

Either one of those boards should work for your machine. I have a rottendog board and it has the 9th pin for the lights. Just remember, if your not going to use the old board, hang on to it and practice soldering on it. Your going to have to learn so e basic soldering skills if your going to own a pinball machine.

#16 9 years ago

the one from GPE gets good reviews and i see a 9pin plug on J1.

The heatsinks cool depending on how they are mounted. I always can fix my own rectifier boards, so not sure how the aftermarket ones do it. Have to assume they mount them on the component side with a heat sink. In that case you don't use the backside heat sink plate and it just floats off the standoffs.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The heatsinks cool depending on how they are mounted. I always can fix my own rectifier boards, so not sure how the aftermarket ones do it. Have to assume they mount them on the component side with a heat sink. In that case you don't use the backside heat sink plate and it just floats off the standoffs.

And there you go, god has spoken.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I am confused about the continued talk of 9 pins @ J1. J2 is 9, J1 has 8.

Or are we talking about total, both keyed and non-keyed?

#19 9 years ago

Yes. Header pins are usually counted by the number of spaces they take up not the actual amount of pins. If you only count the actual pins, you will order the wrong female connector if you need to replace it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-start-up-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.