• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

I recently fell back in love with my Space Invaders pinball after not having it on much for the past few years.
I changed out to LEDs and reflowed the displays and it basically plays better than it has since I have owned it (about 20 years).

I am seeing a slight issue:

When first turning it on, the sound is not quite right:

1. The flippers don't make the blast sound.
2. Other sounds are different (like the spinner target--it makes a much more tame and different sound than usual. The drop target makes almost no game sound).

After a game or two, the sound returns totally to normal.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,

Lance

#2 5 years ago

Going out on a limb here, but I would suspect bad capacitors or a weak power supply on the sound boards.

#3 5 years ago

Also with noting: i recently discovered that the flippers have an additional switch mounted to the end of stroke switch--that extra switch will have gold contacts. Those extra switches are what activate the sounds when the flippers are flipped.

#4 5 years ago

Yes, I think I read that post! There is also the diode between the two. The weird thing on my machine is that the issue clears up after a game or so but turning off and back on brings back the issue temporarily again. When it is acting up, it's like pressing the flippers sort of kills most of the sound.

#5 5 years ago

I would definitely re-cap the sound board as the above poster suggested, and also re-flow solder to the header pins and replace the female connector(s).

Also check the voltage coming into the sound board, it could potentially be a power supply issue as well.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from lancemoody:

Hi,
I recently fell back in love with my Space Invaders pinball after not having it on much for the past few years.
I changed out to LEDs and reflowed the displays and it basically plays better than it has since I have owned it (about 20 years).
I am seeing a slight issue:
When first turning it on, the sound is not quite right:
1. The flippers don't make the blast sound.
2. Other sounds are different (like the spinner target--it makes a much more tame and different sound than usual. The drop target makes almost no game sound).
After a game or two, the sound returns totally to normal.
Anyone have any ideas what this might be?
Thanks,
Lance

The flipper sounds are a dip switch setting. You may want to check your dip switches.

#8 5 years ago

If the sounds are missing and reappear I'm thinking not a board issue, although recapping wouldn't hurt.
The flipper switches are very close to the flipper coils, can you say 'carbon'??
Try cleaning or replacing the flipper switches.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Try cleaning or replacing the flipper switches.

Just to add to that suggestion: the switch with gold contacts (the switch that activates the sound when flippers are flipped) should be cleaned with a business card or clean piece of paper--you don't want to file gold-contact switches. The high-current end of stroke switches can be filed, however.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.