PF_PaintPrep20-937.jpg
IMG_4656.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG
IMG_4654.JPG
PF_PaintPrep19.jpg
PF_PaintPrep16.jpg
PF_PaintPrep15.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So I have been looking for a Space Invaders for a couple of years now. I know it doesn’t rate that high with many but I remember it being a really cool game when I played it as a kid. I like fixing and restoring games so most of the pins I own started out needing work. This one needed a LOT of work. First I want to thank Vid1900 for all of his guides. The man is not only extremely knowledgeable, he is also very generous with sharing this knowledge. I also want thank my wife for doing amazing job on the recreation of all the playfield decal and touch-up artwork.

The game had one of those pizza slice overlays in the center. The owner thought it was original but I clearly saw from the mismatched colors that it was a decal.

SI_AD.jpgSI_AD.jpg

This is what it looked like with the decal removed:

PF Center Before1.jpgPF Center Before1.jpg

#2 9 years ago

After the playfield was torn down, I removed the mylar. I used the freeze spray method and removed the residual glue with the flour and alcohol. Freeze spray has never failed me and whoever had discovered flour and alcohol to remove the glue, I owe you a beer.

IMG_2258.JPGIMG_2258.JPG

After cleaning with Magic Eraser I could properly assess the damage. Many of the inserts were worn down as if someone haphazardly took a Dremel tool to them. Someone also decided to touch up the numbers on the inserts with a Sharpie, which bled into the plastic. Needless to say they had to be replaced. The problem was, if I replace one I have to replace them all; snow white inserts against the aged orginals would stick out too much. This created another problem, I had to recreate all of the artwork—not just the black text.

It’s a good thing my wife is a kick ass graphic designer. ☺

PF Center Before2.jpgPF Center Before2.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Inserts removed:

PF_NoInserts.jpgPF_NoInserts.jpg

New inserts installed:

PF_NewBlankInserts 2.jpgPF_NewBlankInserts 2.jpg

#4 9 years ago

( ((follow)) )

#5 9 years ago

Obviously the center of the field was the main concern. What I would have to do is shoot a coat of clear as a “bed” on which I could begin my repairs. After the clear applied I painted all of the worn areas white as a primer so the colors would pop more. I used the pizza slice decal as a guide.

PF_PaintPrep2.jpgPF_PaintPrep2.jpg

PF_PaintPrep3.jpgPF_PaintPrep3.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Some most of the damage painted white:

PF_PaintPrep4.jpgPF_PaintPrep4.jpg

Some of the colors added. This was all done with an airbrush and createx paints. You can also see part of the decal (a copy of it) that I used as a reference, not for color but for placement.

PF_PaintPrep9.jpgPF_PaintPrep9.jpg

Little more:

PF_PaintPrep14.jpgPF_PaintPrep14.jpg

Now the black:

PF_PaintPrep15.jpgPF_PaintPrep15.jpg

PF_PaintPrep16.jpgPF_PaintPrep16.jpg

#7 9 years ago

As I had reached the limit of my painting skills, my wife took over from here.

PF_PaintPrep19.jpgPF_PaintPrep19.jpg

One area we were unsure of was the part just below the alien claws in the center. We first thought using a water slide decal. We would have to break it into thirds because it would be difficult to apply as one big decal.

PF_PaintPrep20-937.jpgPF_PaintPrep20-937.jpg

Then my wife said, “let me paint it by hand”. What she showed me was nothing short of stunning. Holy sh*t, really, she did a fantastic job!

#8 9 years ago

Insert Decals.

Using decals with a black font is pretty easy, the only thing you want to make sure of is that the opacity matches as close as possible to that of the original inserts. Unfortunately there were many inserts with colored artwork. This was a real pain in the ass. We wanted to make sure that the color matched when not lit and wasn’t washed out when lit. This was cause for many trips to Staples and funny looks from the employees to print the decal sheets.

IMG_4654.JPGIMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4655.JPGIMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4656.JPGIMG_4656.JPG

This is the center part my wife painted:

IMG_4657.JPGIMG_4657.JPG

#9 9 years ago

holy spaceballs batman !!!

#10 9 years ago

After a little more tweaking, several coats of clear, sanding, clearing, sanding….and finally buffing……

PF AFTER.jpgPF AFTER.jpg

CenterDetail.jpgCenterDetail.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Lit:

PF Lit.jpgPF Lit.jpg

CloneChamber.jpgCloneChamber.jpg

Hoop_BallViewAfter.jpgHoop_BallViewAfter.jpg

Spinner.jpgSpinner.jpg

PF_BallViewAfter.jpgPF_BallViewAfter.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Full:

Full Lit.jpgFull Lit.jpg

#13 9 years ago

More pics of the restore to follow.....

#14 9 years ago

Pretty game. Congrats

#15 9 years ago

Nice.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from spaceport:

More pics of the restore to follow.....

can i get mine to y'all for repair too?
needs same things

#18 9 years ago

Sweet ass job!

#19 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Hey Labnip. I don't think I can take on another but if you need the files for the insert decals pm me with your email and I will send them your way. That goes for anyone else too.

#20 9 years ago

Very nice job. I also own a space invader and its a keeper for me. Love the work you and your wife did on this one. Also like the led's you did.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from spaceport:

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Hey Labnip. I don't think I can take on another but if you need the files for the insert decals pm me with your email and I will send them your way. That goes for anyone else too.

thanks will do.
did you find outside cabinet stencil designs somewhere?

here's some tweaks on mine:
i'm thinking of putting different colored LED's in the backbox for more reflection effect.

have picked up all new non/pop-caps, as the originals had burn on them from bulbs.

putting color changing LED's in the non/pop-caps. Will add a little more color to playfield & prevent future burn marks on the caps.

put in new "space invader" video game themed drop targets.

#22 9 years ago

I used LEDs in the 3 pop and 4 dead bumpers for the same reasons as you, to avoid burning the bumper caps. Everything else is incandescent, 47s instead of 44s. To be honest I'm not a big fan of LEDs especially on older games. I like the look of the incandescent bulbs.

#23 9 years ago

Superlative! Fantastic work bringing that field back. The game deserved it. I've had mine for years and never want to sell it!

1 week later
#24 9 years ago

Great job on the restoration. Makes me want to start a restoration project.

#25 9 years ago

When I was almost done with this restore I had learned that CPR was doing a repro SI pf. LOL

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-invaders-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.