Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bally_early_ps_pinout.gif
SI_Wiring_b.jpg
SI_Wiring_a.jpg
DSC00836.JPG
SI_Power.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I recently purchased a Space Invaders pinball (Bally 1980 dash 35) and someone cut all the connectors off of the transformer module. The schematic was fairly clear about the two smaller connectors but the 20 pin was vague and confusing. If you have one of these WORKING pinball games, I would Really appreciate it if you emailed me or posted here the wire colors starting from pin 1 and going to pin 20. I know one of them is a key and the schematic is clear about some of the others, but I have more wires than pins and duplicate colors with no clear idea of which one goes where. If you can help I would appreciate it. The easiest way would be like....pin 1= RED. Pin 2= SMALL orange wire. I think there are three orange wires and there may be duplicates of the other colors so please be very specific.

Thanks
PBS

#3 7 years ago

I'll take a pic of mine later tonight and post it for you.

#4 7 years ago

I have been told (and I dont know if its right or wrong) that SI is very different than other era pins. One because the Transformer module is different and two because of all the extra lights. Long ago I worked on this generation of games but got out of pinball for twenty years and then back in it around the time WPC came about. I dont like the dash 35 system and besides, most people prefer the newer games. Anyway toro, I appreciate it if you can provide a photo like the one bark sent a link to. Have to be able to see the wires very clearly. This SI is in terrific condition and as soon as I get it wired right, I will put a trifecta alltek board system in it!

#5 7 years ago

Here you go. Can we trade - I need some high res shots of a good playfield. Mine is pretty nice, but I just stripped it and am touching it up before I clear it. Could some good pics if you have some.

Thanks!

IMG_2088.jpg

#6 7 years ago

Here you go. Can we trade - I need some high res shots of a good playfield. Mine is pretty nice, but I just stripped it and am touching it up before I clear it. Could use some good pics if you have some.

Thanks!

IMG_2088.jpg IMG_2089.jpg

#7 7 years ago

I'll show you mine if...

Ehem, anyhoo it's funny that I happen to snap this photo earlier tonight because I re-pinned one of my Ballys and mis-wired something. I referred back to my Paragon's harness...

image.jpg

#8 7 years ago

Thank you for the photos. It looks like your transformer is mounted behind the back glass. Mine is mounted in the bottom of the cabinet and is different from all the ones mounted behind the back glass. The wire colors are almost the same but I have three yellow wires I dont know where to connect. You also show two blank spaces on your connector. One is the key but my game uses the other one. I really need to see a game that has the transformer module mounted in the bottom. Your photos are really good ones but unfortunately I still have at least three wires left over. I have 22 wires and only 19 spaces in which to use them. If you send me your email address, I will snap some photos of the play field. It is in really good shape. I am at pinballshack at aol dot com.

#9 7 years ago

I have SI. I had to replace the rectifier board and replace the large connector. I'll take a photo as soon as I get home this afternoon.

#10 7 years ago

Ok there is no difference in the 20 pin connector between the -18 and -49 power supplies the difference is the 49 supply is designed differently in the SW ill section and has one extra terminal for the sw ill on the PF connector.
you can interchange these power supplies plug and play.
I dont have my SI anymore but here is the only pic i have of the connector prolly not going to be much help lol.

SI_Power.jpg

#11 7 years ago

Do a continuity check on the three extra yellow wires. See if they are all connected together. In the back of my head i remember there has been reports of space invaders having three to one wire splits.

#12 7 years ago

I have an SI, in a meeting just now, will go take a picture in a few of the bulk PS section.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from flipmeover:

Thank you for the photos. It looks like your transformer is mounted behind the back glass. Mine is mounted in the bottom of the cabinet and is different from all the ones mounted behind the back glass. The wire colors are almost the same but I have three yellow wires I dont know where to connect. You also show two blank spaces on your connector. One is the key but my game uses the other one. I really need to see a game that has the transformer module mounted in the bottom. Your photos are really good ones but unfortunately I still have at least three wires left over. I have 22 wires and only 19 spaces in which to use them. If you send me your email address, I will snap some photos of the play field. It is in really good shape. I am at pinballshack at aol dot com.

Mine is mounted in the bottom, NOT in the head. Not sure where your extra wire is going/coming from. It looks like mine uses all but two. One is the key, but the other is just not used. Let me know if you need pics of anything else. Easy to do with the playfield out like it is.

#14 7 years ago

Well my SI is broken down and on end. Running short on time to lay it down and lift the playfield AND my arms are about 6 inches to short to get in there, but here is what I could snap.

DSC00836.JPG

I tried to pull that right hand connector off for a better view but had no leverage AND if you look close the red wire looks welded. Guess when I rotate that one back in I have some connector work to do.

If I have time tomorrow I'll lift the playfield.

#15 7 years ago

Oh and the other end of that long connector is a bit hacked. It looks like someone cut and spliced all the orange wires together.

And on the one to the right with the blue and red wire,,,, other end of that connector is cut off and the wires are soldered on.

Couple big hacks, not mine. But never gave me trouble and never got around to correcting.

#16 7 years ago

Sorry I snoozed, but here's what I got. I rebuilt J3 last year so I've got some notes too. One change on the notes. Pin 8 should be orange with the 2 BIG orange wires wire nutted together.

SI_Wiring_a.jpg SI_Wiring_b.jpg

#17 7 years ago

Thanks once again for the photos. It appears I have a one of a kind Space Invaders. I have three yellow wires. Continuity says the two larger ones are connected somewhere and the smaller one is alone. I have two red wires with yellow dots that also are connected together somewhere. On pin 13 with the photos, that shows to be nothing and yet the manual says it is supposed to be a white and yellow wire, of which I do have in that location. Right now, assuming that every other wire is where it belongs, I have five wires left over. The position for the YELLOW wire (I have three--two large one small) is at pin nine. Which yellow goes here? The two BIG ones or the one small one and then where do the left overs go?
Its a very nice game but I am at the point of parting it out. It doesnt work and there doesnt seem to be any two alike to compare that stupid 20 pin connector. Even in the photos in this blog, you can see differences in the photos submitted by different people. If anyone has any ideas, I would be glad to try them. Even the pinball guru coinopdoc is scratching his head on this one.

#18 7 years ago

ooops I meant the wires instead of red with yellow, they are orange with red and that mystery is now solved...now down to just the extra yellow wires. Is the yellow small or large? I can trace whatever is left over and try to see what it powers and then find that voltage on one of the two open pins (three but one is a key) Thanks!!

#19 7 years ago

In looking at the photo, it appears those two big yellow wires are bent backward and go somewhere else, along with a white and brown...any chance you know where they go to? Because the connector was cut off, they could have easily been routed to another connector and I wouldnt know.

#20 7 years ago

My space invaders had the 2 heavier orange wires and 2 extra heavier yellow wires but they where not used on either end capped by the plug and capped in the backbox as well. if memory serves ne right the small orange wire you have the 2 larger orange wires connected to is your 48v line this does need to connect to the j3 connector on the solenoid board or the system wont boot without it 9/10 times the the 48v pin on the j3 connector is shorted or burnt and will prevent the game from booting so check your j3 connector and pin solder.

the small orange wire that has 2 larger wires connected to it should also have a small orange wire connected to it that goes to j3 if it is not connected perhaps this is your problem

also be sure to test the rectifier board to be sure you in fact have all the proper voltages comming out of the board itself its common you could have a bad bridge or even more so the TO-3 diodes they used on the -49 board for the switched illumination

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

One change on the notes. Pin 8 should be orange with the 2 BIG orange wires wire nutted together.

Well that explains some of the hacking on my SI. I also have the yellows nutted together and the big oranges with one little orange nutted together.

The other hacking I have looks to be from the other connector that was burnt, they just cut the wires and soldered directly to the module.

BTW, if your regulator board is really trashed, Rottendog and others make replacements.

http://rottendog.us/BPS018.htm

#22 7 years ago

CWG...Thank you for your help. In your diagram, you have pin #8 as empty but the photo shows an orange wire at that location and the book shows an orange wire at that location. Pin #12 you show vacant on both diagram and photo but book shows a grey wire there and I have a grey wire to put there. Pin #13 book shows white with yellow, you have grey. #14 book- white/black, you show white with grey. Pin #15 book shows white/blue, you show white/black. Pin #16 book shows black/blue, you show same thing. #17 same as book, #18, 19, and 20 agree with book. Looking at a previous photo in this blog shows the book wiring configuragion with the exception of the two big Orange with red dot wires that connect to the orange wire.

I think the guys a Bally rolled a fattie before they figured out the wiring!

#23 7 years ago

I'm having trouble with my SI also. Everything works except the outside lights (infinity?) on the backbox. It has a new cpu and I tried replacing aux light cpu. sorry, new at this and might not be using correct terms. bulbs are good, would have shot myself if that was the problem, but checked them. checked all connections, they look good. fuses are good. even took wood frame off backbox and checked wiring around it. Visually it looks good. When I first got it and turned it on, some bulbs very lightly burned, but after making sure all connections were correct and replacing cpu, no bulbs burn even a little. all lights work, sound works, everything works good except for those damn lights and they are a must for the look. power unit is under playfield.lights behind alien work. Somehow power is not getting to those outside lights.

#24 7 years ago

from the SI schematic
1 red no trace gen ill ret (backbox)
2 white no trace gen ill ret (backbox)
3 red/black A5J4-2
4 white/red A5J4-1
5 gray/blue A3J3-6
6 blue no trace sw ill bus
7 key
8 orange no trace A3J3-12, A8J1-9
9 yellow no trace A3J3-5, A8J1-9
10 orange no trace gen ill buss
11 red no trace gen ill buss
12 gray no trace A4J4-15
13 white/yellow sol buss
14 white/black A5J4-11
15 white/blue A3J3-21
16 black/blue A3J3-22
17 white/brown A3J3-10
18 white no trace A3J3-3
19 red/yellow A3J3-23
20 white/orange A3J3-24

that should answer any other questions, Id ohm lines 8 and 18 to make sure you get the right ones
Ive seen the gen ill wires in just about any order in different games, from the returns or busses reversed or even switched. I do find it strange that it shows the red as being the hot on gen ill and the return on the other though

#25 7 years ago

Ken Layton posted this on another Bally thread recently. I had to put this in my 'good to have on hand' pile....

Bally_early_ps_pinout.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside